• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 12:

I suppose I can see why many hate this and while I am not in love with it I don't hate it either.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuri On Ice 12
J6puteA.jpg
Some mixed feelings for me here. The format focused almost entirely on depicting ice skating competitions sort of runs into itself all over the place during the finale. Everyone has their turn on the ice and it's really just impossible for these characters to find worthwhile resolution all in the space of a single episode. Most of these characters have their emotional through line drawn back to Yuri, but he feels less interesting to me as a character at the end of all this than he did at the start. I guess it all feels very artificial as the show hones in on a message to keep doing what you love, but it feels very boring when Yuri's insecurities and
his relationship with Viktor
are all just kind of brushed off to the side.

Which, I guess, is another point of interest worth bringing back up. When it's all said and done this series really is not oriented around being gay, and like most other fujoshi focused efforts it dances around discussing that topic and fails to really solidify a relationship between men.

I feel like most of the characters I was interested in like Yuri, Yurio, and even Viktor were built up only to have those characters transported away from their problems to prop up a positive message ending. Viktor's failures as a coach really get shrugged off, and Yurio sort of winds up being just another figure that props up Yuri. I would care less if Yuri followed a convincing arc, but he kind of just arrives where he needs to by chance, and his connections to other characters feel like they get gutted and oversimplified to arrive in that place. Not really happy with how this turned out, and for the climax this sure did not feel like the emotional peak of the series.

Chindogg

Yuri On Ice 12

Welp that ending cemented my opinion that unfortunately the show itself just isn't very good. It's not really all that different from the many bad romance animes I've seen over the last few months.

Honestly if it wasn't gay I don't think anyone would care about it :/

dimb

Yuri On Ice 12

Welp that ending cemented my opinion that unfortunately the show itself just isn't very good. It's not really all that different from the many bad romance animes I've seen over the last few months.

im hittin this show with the "not even really gay" stamp.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well yeah, anyone who's at all familiar with fujoshi works knew this wasn't going to be legit gay at all.

BluWacky

Yuri on Ice 12

Oh. Well, that was a non-ending.

At least they didn't even pretend there isn't going to be a second series, although I suspect that was a fairly recent decision; most of the episode would have functioned very well as part of a finale, and there's a lovely ending sequence of skating that looks like it was designed for a finale rather than a mid-season whateverthisis (I also think the Crunchyroll version is not finished, judging from comments I'd read on Twitter about stuff in the broadcast version - but that may be me misinterpreting rabid fangirl chatter...)

The episode is structured strangely, though, to count as any kind of finale. The dramatic high point of the series's main plot occurs halfway through, except it then uses a subplot to try and top that (but not for very long as the show rushes through the aftermath of said subplot way too quickly -
the show has no time to spend on Yurio winning the gold medal, even with all the cut down skates for the minor characters
).

As much as I've (greatly) enjoyed parts of Yuri on Ice, though, I'm not that thrilled about it getting a second season. I don't think there's anything left I want to see from it, and I don't think the show has anywhere to go to escalate either the sporting or emotional stakes other than stale repetition of what we've seen already.

Eupho S2 - 12

(sound warning)

Witnessing this I just about died inside.

What a mess of an episode and conclusion to their tournament participation. They seriously didn't give us an iota of the band's performance, wow. While I understand that we've already seen them play the same pieces in detail before, this is ridiculous for what's supposed to be the climax.

Everything Reina & Taki is beneath worth mentioning anymore and even the cathartic moments that I've been looking forward to, e.g. Asuka, fell kinda flat or upped the drama too much (hello Kumiko + sister).

Hopeford

Yuri On Ice 12

Strongly disagree. I love the anime because it goes deep about characters loving a sport super hard and also the stress that comes with high level competition. It's super relatable and the character writing is pretty strong. Loved the anime to the end, hope it gets a second season.

Hmm maybe I should watch the rest of To Be Hero after although I don't believe for a second that the writing is anything noteworthy. All the attempted character moments felt phoned in and the, often times literal, toilette humor only got worse. Too bad because when the humor strayed away from that and went in a more zany direction it was fine and even good at times.

Chindogg

Strongly disagree. I love the anime because it goes deep about characters loving a sport super hard and also the stress that comes with high level competition. It's super relatable and the character writing is pretty strong. Loved the anime to the end, hope it gets a second season.

I respect that opinion but man that show's writing and editing was absurdly uneven and there was barely any character progression at all because they decided to split the focus among what seemed to be 30 side characters that were only on screen for 5min at a time.

Haikyuu this is not.

Haly

Have you watched Doukyuusei yet?

Rihito Sajou is an honor student who got perfect scores in every subject on his high school entrance exam. Hikaru Kusakabe plays guitar in his band that performs at live events and is popular among the girls. These boys would have never crossed paths. But one day Hikaru offers to help Rihito prepare for their upcoming chorus festival and the two begin to talk. As the two meet after school, they feel one another's sound, listen to each other's voice, and begin to harmonize as their hearts beat together.

It starts out slow but soon their feelings for one another grow and in just one moment they both realize that it is love. Hikaru's emotions are frivolous, pure, and direct causing Rihito to hesitate at first, but he gradually opens his heart. The boys are learning about each other as they also learn about themselves and support one another during this difficult time typical to youth. As the time to start thinking about their futures approaches, what do these young men find as they try to move forward...
thinking.gif

Theonik

Chapman isn't a fujo, just an optimistic and naive gay.

(I can't bring myself to watch the last episode now.)
I swear gay people get had with this every time. People forget that fujoshi are not gay and are the ones driving the car along. Part of the point is NOT going full gay.

Nice avatar change btw.

Haly

Yes I'm communicating my preemptive disappointment by dropping Yurshit Craptsuki.

Taruranto

Yuri on Ice #12

Cool middle season ending. Can't wait for next week episode!

im hittin this show with the "not even really gay" stamp.

It's never gay unless there is on screen kissing, but even then is just "European culture", tho'.

(Seriously, I'm not sure how you can read the two main characters as straight)

JulianImp

Seriously, this season was kind of weird. I expected to like Izetta , Flip Flappers and Eupho S2 (man, I was so hyped for Asuka's arc there...), but Izetta fell flat almost right away with its out-of-place fanservice and meh characters/plot, while the latter two started out well but got kind of off the rails in later episodes.

On the other hand, my clear favorite show of the season ended up being Girlish Number, which wasn't even on my radar at first. After that I'd probably rank JoJo in second place, and maaaaybe Occultic;Nine in third. Kiss Him, Not Me! is okay, but the characters and plot developments are way too formulaic to actually enjoy them as much as I'd like to, while up to the latest episode we've had the Harem Member of the Week getting kind of closer to the MC while everybody else would do absolutely nothing of note (my poor Sawashiro...).

Then there was crappy stuff such as Magical Girl Raising Project (a complete and utter waste of time) and the second season of Okusama ga Seitokaichou (which was just more of the same).

Meh.

Hopeford

I respect that opinion but man that show's writing and editing was absurdly uneven and there was barely any character progression at all because they decided to split the focus among what seemed to be 30 side characters that were only on screen for 5min at a time.

Haikyuu this is not.

That is true, yes. The show did suffer from splitting up its limited screentime on a ton of characters, but I still appreciated that in a way because all characters' struggles were connected to the sport itself.

In fairness, I'm definitely being biased because I've been competing in sports for a long time and I was very surprised to see an anime tackle the pressure that comes with winning(like in episode 11 with JJ) and other topics like that. Usually sports anime-even Haikyuu which is excellent-have characters be just too mentally strong to be relatable in a sense. I appreciate the more mental struggles the show displayed, it portrayed the sport as...well, a sport rather than a battle, which is something I think anime struggles with(or flat out doesn't attempt to portray) sometimes.

That said, I do think they could have done with 2 or 3 less side characters and improve the pacing, yes.

dimb

I swear gay people get had with this every time. They forget that fujoshi are not gay and are the ones driving the car along. Part of the point is NOT going full gay.

Nice avatar change btw.
Jacob is in a gay relationship and is full on fudanshi now. I meant more in the general sense that the conversation from fujoshi and fudanshi alike was overly optimistic about the relationship between Yuri and Viktor and drew lines to make it something it was not. The chance for more to materialize existed but the show seems pretty firm that it's just about skating to me. I still see some positive response to the ending so maybe I'm just off base.

Saying that Yuri on Ice is not gay is a bizarre statement. Is this like when Cornbread says that there is no romance unless people kiss on screen?

janoDX

Yuri!!! on Ice 12

Basically it felt like a feel good middle season finale, it doesn't have to be flashy but it positions where the story will go.

Still a Top 3 contender for anime of the year, you can hate me now GAF.

Saying that Yuri on Ice is not gay is a bizarre statement. Is this like when Cornbread says that there is no romance unless people kiss on screen?

Mitsuro Kubo tweeted that with Yuri on Ice she wanted to depict a world without prejudice against gay people, so I'm pretty sure she at least intended for the show to be gay.

Jex

[Yuri On Ice!!!: Season 1] - 12

You'll excuse me if I have to disagree with this sentiment.

I don't think the finale to the first season of Yuri on Ice!!! satisfied on any level.

- Yuri and Victor's relationship continues to left deliberately vague, despite the show going in incredibly hard on them so recently (literally weddings rings).
- It doesn't feel like there's enough time to conclude the fairly thin arcs that many of these side characters have undergone and as a result, even though their performances were notable, they continue to feel underwritten.
- Yurio went from feeling like a main character undergoing his own journey into becoming just another tool to move Yuri's story along. Unfortunate.
- There's some fairly clear hints that this season was going to conclude in a fairly final way but then they saw how popular the show was and realised that a 2nd season would be a very smart move. It's not outrageously egregious, but it feels awkward because Yuri makes a fairly decisive move at the start of the episode and then appears to completely reverse it minutes later.
It's extremely easy to imagine an ending when Yuri wins the gold, retires at the height of his career, and then perhaps forms a more conclusive relationship with Victor. This would also fire Yurio up to his best next year, instead of literally winning everything in his senior début, leaving him with less goals for his next season.

I mean, I feel like the animation even supports Yuri beating Yurio. Yurio literally flubs a jump, and is less than perfect. Yuri, meanwhile, is perfect, increases the difficulty on all his moves and sets a world record.
- Which brings up the obvious question - what would a second season be about? I feel like these characters have gone through their character arcs, for better or for worse. Just gunning for Gold doesn't seem to be what the series is about.

At least this episode looked pretty good, even though it was clearly a total nightmare to make.

Mitsuro Kubo tweeted that with Yuri on Ice she wanted to depict a world without prejudice against gay people, so I'm pretty sure she at least intended for the show to be gay.

I can understand being disappointed that it doesn't end with something more explicit, but going from that to "they were never gay, people just projected it onto these characters" is just a really weird reading of the show that I don't think makes much sense.

phaze

lol Reina is a madwoman.

Hmm maybe I should watch the rest of To Be Hero after although I don't believe for a second that the writing is anything noteworthy. All the attempted character moments felt phoned in and the, often times literal, toilette humor only got worse. Too bad because when the humor strayed away from that and went in a more zany direction it was fine and even good at times.

I do feel the character moments are a bit undermined by the overall vibe of the show but at the same time, the father&daughter relationship is basically the entire core and point of the story, so saying they're phoned in is well, simply mistaken.

(I doubt anything you'll see beyond the point were you stopped will change you mind tbh.)

Bungou Stray Dogs 1-4
(although I actually watched episode 1 when it aired!)

In a market flooded with superpowered fighting stories, you need something to liven things up more than just time-honoured Igarashi faces

Blasphemy.

There's some relatively decent stuff in Atsushi's and Akutagawa's character arcs and their mutual juxtaposition about place of belonging and stuff (Stray Dogs), it just trickles in slowly.

I'm not going to criticize YoI's lbgt stuff because I'm not LGBT and don't feel like I know enough to say otherwise. I've seen people on Twitter reference that the show often goes deep into people like one of the skaters and a performance being a reference to a queer skater who was lambasted but won gold

dimb

I can understand being disappointed that it doesn't end with something more explicit, but going from that to "they were never gay, people just projected it onto these characters" is just a really weird reading of the show that I don't think makes much sense.
I don't want to do a moving the goalposts thing but a kiss is just a kiss. If shippers and cherry boys wanna go nuts over allusions to homosexuality be my guest, but the relationship between Yuri and Viktor is explicitly left undeclared and unconsummated. This course sells male sexuality to the viewer but divorces itself from the the subject matter of being gay pretty strongly to me. When the entire finale intentionally undermines Yuri and Viktor as a couple it's kind of just a complete wash. It's not a "they were never gay" thing. If the show itself is unwilling to commit to the characters being together than how meaningful is that relationship really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom