• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I care so much

Anyway here are the AOTY nominees:
Mob 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Rakugo
Yuri on Ice

Please choose from one of the three.

I love how everyone is up in arms because two gay guys didn't kiss or whatever, but no one cares that the Dictionary show skipped 3 seasons between episodes randomly just because. AnimeGAF has amazing standards. Always thinking of the important things.

People discussed it when the episode aired and given the nature of that show, who'd be so terribly upset at that time skip?

duckroll

People discussed it when the episode aired and given the nature of that show, who'd be so terribly upset at that time skip?

Me? I'm upset! I'm a person too! Why don't you consider my feelings before saying that? It's hurtful to suggest I don't exist. Just like how the show suggests that the relationship between Majime and Maaya Sakamoto doesn't exist in the actual story narrative! #FuckEverything #FucknoitaminA

Brb, I need to start a petition.

Haly

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

No?

Yeah, that's what I expected.

Me? I'm upset! I'm a person too! Why don't you consider my feelings before saying that? It's hurtful to suggest I don't exist. Just like how the show suggests that the relationship between Majime and Maaya Sakamoto doesn't exist in the actual story narrative! #FuckEverything #FucknoitaminA

Brb, I need to start a petition.

The relationship had to be cut short in order to show the audience the greatness that is choosing suitable paper for a dictionary and the tense realization of a missing word.

That's not to say that Majime's and Kaguya's relationship could've been handled better before the skip, of course, but priorities :>

Haly

Voting is closed, the winners are:

Anime of the Year

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy
2. Mob Psycho 100
4. Rakugo
5. Overwatch

Anime Movie of the Year

1. Zootopia
2. Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen
3. In the Mood for Love

Haly

Wow what the fuck. Kubo and the Two Strings was robbed at gunpoint.

It was a pretty meh film. If I had a technical achievements award I'd give it to Kubo.

Maybe.

But it's a trite fairy tale that does nothing and goes nowhere.

Chindogg

Hitagi knows that Araragi is a horny mother fucker and accepts that as one of the things that comes with dating him. Plus she fools around with Hanekawa as well.

But they both know that if Arararararagi actually did the dirty with another girl that Hitagi would kill them both then kill herself. And you might say "But isn't Araragi immortal?" but she'd find a way.

But he also lost his god powers and can't fight back as much now, so he just relied on being immortal...which he also can't do no more.

Still taking bets that Hanekawa on the sly is the side chick for both Araragi and Senjougahara and everyone involved knows but lets it go because everyone's happy. And Kanbaru too since she already sexually assaulted Araragi while professing her love/lust for Senjougahara.

duckroll

Haly forgot to count 3 whole boxes in the corner over there. We just found them. The actual results are:

Anime of the Year

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy
2. Rakugo
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Westworld
5. Overwatch

Anime Movie of the Year

1. Shin Godzilla
2. Zootopia
3. Ashes of Time Redux
4. Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen
5. Rogue One

Voting is closed, the winners are:

Anime of the Year

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy
2. Mob Psycho 100
4. Rakugo
5. Overwatch

Anime Movie of the Year

1. Zootopia
2. Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen
3. In the Mood for Love
Touched I truly am.

Aki-at

Haly forgot to count 3 whole boxes in the corner over there. We just found them. The actual results are:

Anime of the Year

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy
2. Rakugo
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Westworld
5. Overwatch

Anime Movie of the Year

1. Shin Godzilla
2. Zootopia
3. Ashes of Time Redux
4. Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen
5. Rogue One

Was about to say Shin Gojira being snubbed was pure racism against kaijus, but I'm glad to see diversity wins out. Today was a great day.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait for To Be Hero, (finale spoiler)
was Ossan actually going to clubs/sleeping around or was he being paid to be a host?

This rabbit hole...

Edit: Oh shit apparently the To Be Hero broadcast version was incomplete for Japanese audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeXv2UGR3ig

This is the Chinese version and there are some scenes at the end that help with the transition.

AOTS

2nd Edit: Wow at that OST. Wow. We got gimped.

javac

I bought some LaserDiscs.

Patlabor on TV Box 1:
WxtdQkm.jpg
LKoL48z.jpg

SAG2Tx0.jpg
OU4TZCg.jpg

Patlabor on TV Box 2:

Patlabor New OVA Box:

Also picked up Groundwork of EoE 2:

Not anime but also got the Anno Live Action BD:

John Blade

I bought some LaserDiscs.

Patlabor on TV Box 1:

Patlabor on TV Box 2:

Patlabor New OVA Box:
:

Ah...look like they is someone who collect anime laser disc. Was wondering if you have a big collection of this or not as like those stuff but never really want to go to that path.

Jarmel

Banned
That acoustic breakdown version of TBHero's ED over images of Min-chan growing up

Belly_Clap_zps743847c8.gif

The
multiverse
stuff isn't in the Chinese broadcast either, which makes sense as it felt like a throwaway gag.

javac

Giant Gorg is pretty sick, comfy mecha is the best kind of mecha. OP is sick too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7st-s83IFk

Ah...look like they is someone who collect anime laser disc. Was wondering if you have a big collection of this or not as like those stuff but never really want to go to that path.

Yeah I have quite a lot of anime Laserdiscs, I'm just a sucker for the artwork, they're huge which makes them hard to store but are prime candidates for framing! Indeed it's a dark and slippery path.

Wait for To Be Hero, (finale spoiler)
was Ossan actually going to clubs/sleeping around or was he being paid to be a host?

This rabbit hole...

Edit: Oh shit apparently the To Be Hero broadcast version was incomplete for Japanese audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeXv2UGR3ig

This is the Chinese version and there are some scenes at the end that help with the transition.

AOTS

2nd Edit: Wow at that OST. Wow. We got gimped.

Damn thanks for the heads up. That's real interesting.

Thoraxes

We can always pretend that Sound! Euphonium 2's actual finale was episode 5 all along.

I guess in hindsight I was saved from writing multiple 6000+ word writeups lol

I've already conversed with someone about this episode a little, but even though it bums me out, I get why they didn't do the performance scene. It basically took them two anime seasons and the movie to actually complete the animation for Crescent Moon Dance and not repeat cuts throughout. I was really banking on having both pieces animated this time, since they did much of the first piece in the movie, too.

I like the characters though, so I guess it's not that bad for me.

duckroll

Wanna grab Bebop for 20 bucks, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting Escaflowne now or if it'll be released as a set later with another discount. Hmmmmmm...

Also, I can't even remember if I have the Bebop movie on BD, or if it was just on DVD. Ugh.

Jarmel

Banned
Damn thanks for the heads up. That's real interesting.

The changes are really interesting. The music is A LOT better, besides the OP which is horrible. There's a cool piano solo after the opening theme.
-Longer flashbacks but not by a whole lot such as
the chicken scaring her at the farm is extended
-One thing is that there's a quick scene of the allergy attack with Ossan not being able to get a taxi and the next scene is him getting the car. That's not in the Japanese broadcast but it's important that
the audience understand that Ossan got the car not so much to show off but that he was worried about if Min had another emergency like that
-More scenes with the wife
-Scene showing
him out partying at a host club and I think he meets the wife outside but not sure what she says to him
-It looks like the wife
left them because they were poor not due to the adultery but I can't say for certain as I don't speak Chinese
-Chinese vocal song over the fight at the very end that isn't the OP but much softer
-Acoustic version of the ED over scenes with Min and her father
-The music is so much better
-
None of the multiverse garbage that felt tacked in

Nobody is going to translate this and it enrages me to no extent. I feel so ripped off and I didn't even pay anything.

Niks

Eupho season 2 was a mistake, nothing but trash (minus kumiko and asuka, they're ok)

Seriously though, that was rough. The reina x teacher plot continues to be a joke. The kumiko x sister plot point conclusion felt rushed. Not showing any performance is insane. Im fine with Suichi ending with kumiko but the yuri baiting and him having 10 lines in 12 eps cheapens it.

Now that I think about it, maybe the show would be 10 times better if Reina didnt exist?

JulianImp

I still don't understand why they gave him an official girlfriend instead of just making him star in a harem but never locking down a girl

I actually like that, because it talks about how the series handles character development. Regular harems are all about upkeeping the status quo of the MC not being in a relationship, which kind of stunts the very thing the plot is supposedly aiming for, and makes things bad because milking the series for all it's worth can lead to series such as Nisekoi.

On the other hand, I can tolerate smutty harems such as ToLoveRu (but only after Darkness, since previous seasons were so episodic I got tired after ten or so episodes), but I'm not a fan of gag series unless they're short, since I get tired of the same things happening over and over with little variation (ie: Sakamoto and Seitokaichou), and only enjoy them if they're short enough that the joke doesn't get the chance to actually become stale (ie: anime Galko).

Back to Monogatari, I like that the show plays the cards of a generic harem setting, but handles things in a fresh and interesting way by establishing and building Koyomi's relationship with Hitagi very early on, and having the rest of the girls interact with him taking into account that the two are an item, rather than having to restrict Araragi's interactions to leave the doors open to all possible love interests. Taking the question of who will Koyomi's heart belong to out of the equation from the get-go allowed Monogatari to do other stuff that didn't amount to girls flubbing love proclamations over and over.

Quasar

I love how everyone is up in arms because two gay guys didn't kiss or whatever, but no one cares that the Dictionary show skipped 3 seasons between episodes randomly just because. AnimeGAF has amazing standards. Always thinking of the important things.

Did it? Anyone read the novel? I suspect it had that time jump too.

The changes are really interesting. The music is A LOT better, besides the OP which is horrible. There's a cool piano solo after the opening theme.

-Longer flashbacks but not by a whole lot such as
the chicken scaring her at the farm is extended
-One thing is that there's a quick scene of the allergy attack with Ossan not being able to get a taxi and the next scene is him getting the car. That's not in the Japanese broadcast but it's important that
the audience understand that Ossan got the car not so much to show off but that he was worried about if Min had another emergency like that
-More scenes with the wife
-Scene showing
him out partying at a host club and I think he meets the wife outside but not sure what she says to him
-It looks like the wife
left them because they were poor not due to the adultery but I can't say for certain as I don't speak Chinese
-Chinese vocal song over the fight at the very end that isn't the OP but much softer
-Acoustic version of the ED over scenes with Min and her father
-The music is so much better
-
None of the multiverse garbage that felt tacked in

Nobody is going to translate this and it enrages me to no extent. I feel so ripped off and I didn't even pay anything.

Damn dude, thanks for that, I know what you mean, I feel a bit ripped off too knowing the localization for Japan cut and mucked up some stuff. Thanks for this, my wife and I are going to be reviewing it for our website tomorrow. I'll try and credit you when we mention this stuff in it.

duckroll

What do you mean later?

It already happened

14 years ago! We both have mustaches now. You've been twice divorced. I've been in and out of rehab after being inspired by the bubbles speech in The Wire.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK.

Robbed of the satisfaction of character development AGAIN! >_<

Aki-at

To Be Hero - End

Well the show definitely has more emotional pay off then I thought it would, a nice short even if the whole
it was all a dream!
gimmick is one I completely hate. Interesting to see the throwaway gag at the end isn't in the original Chinese version, which I would have preferred.

Ninja Girl & Samurai Master - 1 to 10

Didn't expect to like this show as much as I do but I'm quite enjoying it's quick fire humour.

Quasar

Sound! Euphonium! 2.12 - Liked it. Though I was quite surprised by the competition itself happening offscreen. But in retrospect understandable I guess, they do have limited episodes and animation budgets which I guess was used up in that great episode earlier in the season. Definitely did not end like it would if it was a U.S. show. The emotion did get to me though, and I did shed a brief tear.

Kuromukuro - Finally finished it. I'm not normally into this kind of show unless its Macross but I enjoyed myself. Still surprised that PA Works would make this kind of show. Wonder if we'll get more or whether that epilogue is our ending.. Watched the first cour, and with the netflix crackdown on VPNs was unable to continue and then when it finally came to netflix Australia I was busy with other stuff. But praise elsewhere got me to watch the rest so I consider it as a finalist.

I did like it, but competition is so hot this year that really its probably not anywhere near a top 10.

Magi Season 1 - Finished this off too. Was alright overall, though some arcs felt a bit long to me. Hopefully they don't go back to the Alibaba/Cassim well again in S2.

Season 2 might be a bit harder to watch given its not on any streaming service I have access to.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist ep.14-17
Everything is out in the open now and the natives (his fellow students) are restless about it. The Dean is still is piece of crap though and will continue to throw things at Rin as he tries to train to control his powers. I'm pleasantly surprised that this show has kept a good balance between action, comedy and character developement since I assumed it would go to shit fairly early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom