• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Is Hyouka ever getting licensed brehs?
IVEUYK4.png

Nevah.

JoJo- DiU End

Not to mention how sloppy this entire final fight was in terms of events happening because they needed to happen for plot reasons.

Sure sounds like Jojo. Worse/Better than Dio fight in that regard ?

sonicmj1

This season of Jojo was definitely the best yet. I really liked the denouement here. What a great cast of characters.

Sure sounds like Jojo. Worse/Better than Dio fight in that regard ?

Well, nobody pulls new powers out of their ass mid-fight this time. Just a lot of talking-as-free-action type stuff complicating the fight, which is pretty normal.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS END

Wow? Really!? After all that we still get a fucking bittersweet ending?
I thought for sure after dude got beaten this would be the end of it and this franchise would allow the characters to have a good ending for once. But nope!!! Though Kou was defeated it really doesn't matter cause his LIRG who was just as twisted as he was survived on in his body, Chi lost her fucking memories and has to restart her friendship over again.

This isn't a good end at all, hell this might qualify as a bad end in some respects.

Can't wait for season 2.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, nobody pulls new powers out of their ass mid-fight this time. Just a lot of talking-as-free-action type stuff complicating the fight, which is pretty normal.

Well Kira did that before the fight this time.

The problem is that the sense of space is completely out of whack in the anime and characters just stand around doing nothing because the plot dictates it.

Qurupeke

Rakugo 5-6

Two fantastic episodes, the show is only getting better. I really like how Kiku finally found a reason on doing Rakugo and I really loved his mannerisms and the way he acted. The Benten portrayal was really good. Also, Miyokichi doesn't seem that bad, she's a very pleasant person so far.

I forgot to mention it, but I really like the OP. The song and the visuals are outstanding and really fitting to the show's themes.

A really interesting interview with Chinese animator Boya Liang about her work on anime such as Hunter X Hunter 2011 and Haikyuu. She goes into depth about her creative process when working on individual cuts:

In Hunter x Hunter episode 146, there’s a scene with Killua that really stands out from the rest of the episode because of its linework. Tell us what went into making that.

I felt so confused when reading the manga. “How do I design this scene?” ’cause the whole background is pure white. I only can express the emotion of hopelessness through lines. The director hoped to capture that scene by exposing the characters with a spotlight to show the loneliness. Previously, the scenes I had drawn were always composed of color. This time, I tried to display the texture of the lines, and in the still part, I retouched them several times to give it that shaky instability. In fact, I originally wanted to do it in crayon, but I didn’t have enough time to change tools; I was required to finish almost 60 frames within two weeks. I still regret that. Come the final animation check, the first time all the staff got together to watch the sample, I wasn’t satisfied with the scene, so I spent the whole night revising it. Thinking back, I still lacked experience at that time. I should have made more dedicated decisions earlier.

You animated the scene in Haikyuu!! season 2, episode 20 where ‘Mad Dog’ (Kentarō Kyōtani) delivers an amazing spike. It’s a jaw dropping moment of powerful animation – perhaps the most powerful I have seen all year. Tell me about that scene. How long did it take you to animate? You packed so much emotion into it, what was running through your mind when you were animating that scene?

I feel extremely grateful that you like it! Thanks a lot! It’s a coincidence that the production manager asked me to give it a try. I was not so confident at that time, but I thought it was a chance to promote my skill, so I took it! As for the spike, it was demanded in storyboard, but I didn’t have any spike drawing experience, so I referenced the spike scenes which others worked on before. But to my surprise, the lines in every spike scene have totally different personal styles. So I tried to find inspiration among them. Finally, there is a scene that Kageyama did a amazing serve in a prior episode. And I said, “That’s the feeling!” I took it as reference then started drawing. It didn’t take too much time to draft, hmm, maybe about day and a half (laugh) I stayed up at that night! However, I tried again and again and drew the in-betweens myself when using the spike on the 2nd key animation. In the end, it took almost 4 days to finish it.

In the beginning, ‘Mad Dog’ places his hand in front of the camera, the moment his hand moves away he comes into view with a powerful spike. This idea came to me one night when I was reading the manga. I noticed the harsh style of Haruichi Furudate- sensei’s lines was so cool, so why not use it in the anime? I was worried about it would influence the sound effect, but after sharing this idea with director, luckily it wasn’t an issue. As for whether or not to use a background, we also talked a lot about that. At last, in order to show the best texture of spike line, we decided to go with a monotone image. In my personal thinking, there are still many deficiencies, if there is a chance next time it must be better!

I really love hearing from artists about how they work and make artistic decisions.

Cornbread78

Rakugo 5-6

Two fantastic episodes, the show is only getting better. I really like how Kiku finally found a reason on doing Rakugo and I really loved his mannerisms and the way he acted. The Benten portrayal was really good. Also, Miyokichi doesn't seem that bad, she's a very pleasant person so far.

I forgot to mention it, but I really like the OP. The song and the visuals are outstanding and really fitting to the show's themes.

The OP is awesome. Also, good news.

Exalted

Anyone here perhaps familiar with Nabari no Ou ? It's an older (2008) action supernatural show about ninjas. Wondering if its worth watching.

Anyone here perhaps familiar with Nabari no Ou ? It's an older (2008) action supernatural show about ninjas. Wondering if its worth watching.
Very boring, I don't recommend it. Iasted around 8 episodes.

To elaborate, the lead is very boring, the support cast is awful, nothing interesting visually.

Aki-at

Keijo - End

It was stupid and I enjoyed it but I think I've had my fill of the wacky world of Keijo.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - End

That was such an amazing episode, absolutely superb!

Other than the usual JoJo plot conveniences, there wasn't anything I would say that bothered me too much, even Koichi and Jotaro
(And how long I was just waiting for that ZA WARUDO moment)
got involved in the action. After when Kira had finally
bit the dust (hurhur) and meeting Reimi again we're treated to even more awesome scenes from his transistion to his original face to finally being ripped apart by hellish forces.
And then to top it all off we get some anime original scenes that really add more to the conclusion of the series
(Josuke really is Joseph's son with that last minute cheat he did haha)
and enough for it to probably cement that number one spot for this year's anime ranking. What can I say? I'm a sucker for an epilogue that uses the OP song and the series did exceptionally well to recover from it's slouch in the late 20s/early 30s to beat Mob.

Defintely my favourite JoJo part so far.

Exalted

Very boring, I don't recommend it. Iasted around 8 episodes.

To elaborate, the lead is very boring, the support cast is awful, nothing interesting visually.

I see, well that is definitely not what i wanted to hear about an ninja action show. Guess i'll pass on this one. Thanks.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.37
av8V6TR.jpg

So damn close... Ryugo's moment was pretty well done and I loved the reaction of these two. Yup, it's almost time to take the next step you two. Shot is hitting the fan as well and it almost feels like a climax arc is starting a little early with 13 episodes left, but we'll see where they take the story heading down the stretch.

Eupho S2 - 12

Delayed watching this due to feeling 0 urgency to get to it. My opinion of this show is just so damn low that I couldn't bring myself up to watch this episode, but alas, I did it.

That confession during the awards was the stupidest shit. Ugh. Just end this already.

jgminto

Diamond is Unbreakable's final episode was fantastic, easily the best episode of the entire series so far. It made me so happy that DavidPro was able to return to the heights of the beginning of the season and deliver such a perfect episode that captures everything great about DiU. This episode also cemented Great Days as my favourite theme of the series, I found myself singing along as it began to play during the episode.

Ascheroth

Diamond is Unbreakable's final episode was fantastic, easily the best episode of the entire series so far. It made me so happy that DavidPro was able to return to the heights of the beginning of the season and deliver such a perfect episode that captures everything great about DiU. This episode also cemented Great Days as my favourite theme of the series, I found myself singing along as it began to play during the episode.

Yeah, it's really catchy and that version with all the singers of the previous openings that played during the and was just the greatest thing.
Also the Bites Za Dusto part is just fucking awesome in combination with the OP.

Qurupeke

Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive

This was like those utterly boring, opening cutscenes that you can't skip, only 20 times longer and a lot cheesier. Worse than anime. I hope the game is enjoyable.

Quasar

Well...I think I've finalised my AOTY list now, barring any last episode disasters. Could have swapped in 5 or so other shows. Plentiful candidates for me this year. Would have been worse if films were included in a single list.

Aki-at

I go to work every morning listening to it.

It's really motivational, you should try it too!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only Winter 2017 show I have on my to watch list is 'Gabriel DropOut' only because in Oota we trust.

This was like those utterly boring, opening cutscenes that you can't skip, only 20 times longer and a lot cheesier. Worse than anime. I hope the game is enjoyable.

I tried reading a summary and stopped halfway through. Hey JRPG writers, maybe cut out on the proper nouns?

Szadek

Sounds about right.
I belive at some point the game plays a cutscene that's basically a trailer for the movie.

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - FINAL
I actually really enjoyed Season 3 of WIXOSS, I don't know what it is about the series but it's pretty much the only "card game" anime that I enjoy and look forward to watching every week. I was even excited when they began referencing stuff from the first two seasons, especially since I was sure it was going to be your typical alternative-universe spin-off. I'll definitely be looking forward to Season 4 which is revealed to be Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS

A little saddened by the bittersweet ending, but I had a feeling they were going to go the route of having Chinatsu lose her memories, I mean it is WIXOSS after all. No happy endings here. I'll be interested to see if the next season takes on the role of trying to get those memories back. Maybe we will also reintroduce the original characters

Quasar

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic 1-12 - What a shock, a terrible Magocracy (of course this was already known). Is there a magocracy that isn't terrible for the non magic using population? Seems like every one I've read/played in seems like that. Didn't expect some Matrix in here though.

But Kinsglaive was really great and IMO helps build the world. Also did you really not like any of the cool fighting and effects and the godly OST?

The Great Passage - 11

They completely nailed it with this ending. So much emotion throughout the entire thing. Easily one of this season's/year's standouts. From the extent of the great animation for a show that didn't really need it, to the story itself, this was great. It sure did have times in which the show fell way too deep into the whole dictionary love the workers felt, which was sort of surreal, but in the end this anime was the tale of how a bunch of people got together to eventually finish this product, over many years. We got to see a bit of their lives, but not all of them. We saw just enough to feel some sort of attachment as their work progressed. Ultimately, the only thing for me that was missing was that more human connection. Like how Majime came to catch feelings for Kaguya and vice-versa. The time skip was very aggressive. I understand that it was needed as a sacrifice for the better and conclusion of this whole tale, however it made me knock a point or two from this show.

Regardless, I say it again, this is an easy recommendation for people looking for something that is GOOD and that has a lot of soul. Tons of great animation as well, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom