• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Okay my news year resolution is to get back into anime.

Recommend me the best shows from the past three years.

Thank you.

Thank you.

These are times when the best of year lists I keep come in handy.

2014:
Ping Pong
Mushishi Zoku-Sho
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Garo the Animation
Crayon Shin-chan Movie 22: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back!
Pupipo!
Shirobako
Yona of the Dawn
The Wind Rises
20 Minutes Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station
Giovanni's Island
Silver Spoon
Shounen Hollywood
Majin Bone
Haikyuu

2015:
Shashinkan
Sound! Euphonium
When Marnie Was There
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
The Diary of Ochibi
Kagewani
Miss Hokusai
Kanon
Concrete Revolutio
Koufuku Graffiti
Wish Upon the Pleiades
Working!!!
Sore ga Seiyuu

2016:
The Great Passage
Anthem of the Heart
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Kaze no Matasaburou
Mob Psycho 100
Kizumonogatari I
Kiznaiver
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
ReLIFE
Battery
Girls und Panzer der Film

Thank you.
Seven Deadly Sins
Haikyu
Noragami
One punch man
Mob psycho 100
My Hero Academia
Ajin
Kuroko's basketball
Durarara
Poco's Udon World
Barakamon
Occultic;Nine
Tanaka-kun is always listless
World Trigger
Twin star exorcist
Tales of Zestiria the X
Concrete Revolutio

Qurupeke

Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood 1-5

I liked the Prompto episode, the others weren't very interesting. Action was a bit meh.

But Kinsglaive was really great and IMO helps build the world. Also did you really not like any of the cool fighting and effects and the godly OST?

Certainly cool, the production values were generally very impressive. But the fights and the OST couldn't save the mess everything else was.

Aki-at

Thank you.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
D-Frag
Shirokuma Cafe
My Love Story!!
Space Dandy
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Shirobako
Girlish Number - (Though this one is still presently airing, might shit the bed on the last episode)

Sölf;227111443 said:
Every episode of Gintama is "that" Gintama episode though.

So Wixoss was good? Then I definitly have to finish this.

nah, he's referring to Gintaman, the in universe version of Gintama. The episode in question is where Gintoki gets it's gorrilla author to just rip off dragonball (or rather, in universe version of Dragonball)

Cornbread78

Thank you.

Yona of the Dawn
Konosuba
Sword Art Online
Erased
Working
Mob Psycho 100
Barakamon
91 Days
Shirayuki hime
Angel Beats
Cross Ange
D-Frag
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Etotama
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Fruit of Grisaia
Actually, I Am
Heavy Object
A Lull in the Sea
Nisekoi
Ore Monogatari
Re;Zero
Plastic Memories
Sabagebu! -Survival Game Club!
Your Lie in April
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
Tales of Zestiria
White Album 2
SNAFU
Alderman on the Sky
Kiznaiver

A lot there, yes, but it's a little bit of everything because I'm not sure what kind of shows you like and what your tolorances are.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll recommend what is my AOTY list.

Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū
Mob Psycho 100
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
91 Days
Girlish Number
Alderman on the Sky
The Great Passage
Kiznaiver
Flip Flappers
Yuri on Ice

Thank you.

Ping Pong: The Animation
Shirobako
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Sound! Euphonium
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
Baby Steps
Space Dandy
Yona of the Dawn

Gundam: Reconguista in G
(There are dozens of us)

And for movies, The Tale of Princess Kaguya is only the greatest film ever made.

Szadek

The Great Passage - Ep. 11
Very good final episode for the best show of the season, which to be fair wasn't that hard since for me it was the season of disappointments.
It shows that ,if you are good enough, you can make a story about anything interesting

Drifters - Ep. 12
On the other hand, it doesn't matter how cool the idea for you show if you don't get it right.
I love the premise of the slow, but the execution is totally off.
The comedy is by far the worst part of the show. It's by far not the only problem, but it's so huge it overshadows everything else.

Go! Princess Precure - Ep. 5
Kirara is life, Kirara is love.She wasn't lying about her super tight schedule.
You would think a character like her would come across like an asshole,but she never does.

Okay I hope there's a second season of Keijo...
C0_Z_Eef_WIAEf4ct.jpg

I wanna know what the one in the hat does...

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 12

Fun final battle, and bloody hell Joker is broken, but underwhelming overall. No big twists or anything else shocking really. I guess Chinatsu losing her memories counts, but it felt appropriate more than everything else. The guys are all screwed still, but I guess that other girl is happy? And what of Kiyoi and Carnival? Carnival looks like Ulith 3.0, so Kiyoi is probably going to keep chasing her.

Weaker than Selector, but still enjoyable. The main problem was the main characters and their LRIGs just not being that compelling. Side characters were decent at least. The despair didn't taste as good without a more sweeping change, and while Satomi was a decent antagonist he couldn't match the Akira/Iona/Ulith combo. Hopefully the Conflated is a bit more exciting.

Future Card Buddyfight!! DDD [Triple D] Episode 39

Odd episode to do, make Kyoya lose in a different match but then make up for his loss against an opponent people dont really care for. Oh well Azi Dahaka Daeva is great.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 37

It's Christmas time. With a familiar song this time. It's nice comparing a song from two different Aikatsu casts. M4 does a bunch of their things, especially Asahi still crushing on Koharu. Kind of wish we saw S4's concert. But the real star was the admins yet again. Yuri too strong. Broke her traditional axe. So Lily has to come to the rescue with a chainsaw. Run in fear. Plus, Haruka returns. We never got enough of her.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 6
C0aQg5SXAAAlJjx.jpg:small
C0aR7K7XcAA6Ol8.jpg:small

Feels like we got a character designer change or something, they look at times different than they looked last season.

I love the Taiyou obsessions/fanboying over Chrono, its amazing. I also love the best bro relationship between Chrono and Shion now, its great. Chrono is still the best but Shion is kind of getting a bit better, I liked him being the happy outside person but wanting revenge on the inside person more though.

Digimon Adventure - 1-3

So I've been in a bit of a slump when it comes to my anime lately. After playing a bit of Digimon Cyber Sleuth again, it occurred to me that I never watched the original Digimon subtitled.

I mean, I generally know how the story goes, the digivolutions, the music (Brave Heart especially), but I never actually gave the show a full-watch from beginning to end. So I thought of tackling this for a bit before I get back into my other shows I've been meaning to finish.

There really isn't much to say about the first three episodes alone other than them being mostly just set up. Thankfully it does a good job at that, establishing each of the seven children's personalities while still having their interactions off each other and their reactions to the world around them come off as natural.

You really don't get these kind of character designs in many kids anime these days, do you? There's a certain uniqueness that comes from the art style that I really can't say I've seen anywhere else.

blurr

Wow, haven't been able to turn on my computer for the past few days, let alone watch anime or play games T__T

at least I have this saturday off

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask (I didnt see any other anime thread) but im in a bit of a anime kick so can someone give some quick input on the following anime available on my region's netflix:

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Assault on Titan (super popular but worth it?)
Death Note (same as Titan)
Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas (is this a sequel to the 80s one or a reimagining?)
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

Jintor

of that list I recommend Black Lagoon and Little Witch Academia wholeheartedly.

Psycho-Pass, Attack on Titan, and Death Note and maybe Tokyo Ghoul also probably okay

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (I didnt see any other anime thread) but im in a bit of a anime kick so can someone give some quick input on the following anime available on my region's netflix:

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

I can enthusiastically recommend Black Lagoon and Little Witch Academy.

I can (less enthusiastically) recommend Attack on Titan, Death Note, and Psycho Pass.

I haven't seen the rest.

jonjonaug

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

Black Lagoon - Great action anime, one of the best. If you like over the top action films with lots of guns then you'll love this.

Assault on Titan (super popular but worth it?) - The anime is mostly good but the manga itself kind of falls off of a quality cliff later on, so if you get invested and decide to read the manga afterward you'll probably be disappointed. The last arc in the anime kinda ruins some things that the manga did well. Good but not great, I'd say.

Death Note (same as Titan) - This is a good entry level anime but personally I feel that the quality goes way down somewhere between episodes 7 and 10 (it's been forever since I watched it, don't remember exactly when Misa shows up)

Sword Art Online - Haven't watched but the general consensus is that this is really dumb and bad, mostly popular just because of the concept and good direction/music.

Psycho Pass - Amazing science fiction anime that takes concepts from the sci fi of the 50s/60s/70s and applies them for a modern audience. Probably the best thing on your list.

Little Witch Academy - This is just two short films right now, the TV anime starts in a couple weeks or so. The first one's great, the second one is very nicely animated but the plot is "eh".

Then you'll definitely like Hanekawa even more in Part 2. I'll have my 2 month overdue writeup later about Part 2.

:3
Yeah she was cute in this movie.

I need to rewatch bakemonogatari though. I remember Shinobu being all sad at first and in this movie she's really lively so I was a bit confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom