• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 13:
C0a-1KaXcAE5Rio.jpg
C0a8DeQWQAA0M9O.jpg

C0a_bXnWgAA6MYo.jpg
C0bCnYwXUAESlZD.jpg

You know, I was hopeful all along for this episode, but man did this blow every expectation away. So while helping decorate for Christmas, the world gets threatened by a virus infected Appmon that is LITERALLY ERASING CHRISTMAS. Yeah, that's right. This is all about a villain trying to cancel Christmas and remove it from existence, and it's up to our heroes to "take back Christmas", while the other characters sit around feeling sad over the fact that there will be no Christmas. It's amazing. It's such a zany idea, but it fits in perfectly with the show. This is everything you want your Christmas episode to be.

And then the character development, too. So far Ai hasn't really been much of a character. She had a few scenes early on, and Haru has a crush on her, but that was about it. But this was really her coming out episode. The majority of the episode is focused on her own feelings and she gets developed really well throughout the whole thing. The scene with her praying while Haru and Gatchmon watched on was really nice. The music also steps the game up here, particularly with the added bits with Ai's father and with Rei.

And then the end of the episode reminds everyone, through both Haru's monologue and the scenes shown that things are about to get worse. Yuujin's creepy and ominous thing that hasn't been addressed since Episode 1 is brought back (and that's such a contrast to his goofy scenes with Haru at the beginning of the episode), we see more of L Corp and of Mienumon plotting whatever she's working at, Rei sitting out in the darkness, and then that final scene in Haru's room. Goddamn. I really hope this isn't going to be a two week wait.

I'm really beginning to think that it might not be too far off that we start talking about Appmon as a worthy successor to Tamers and in the running for one of the high points in franchise history. It's that good.

If you're not watching this show right now (which is almost everyone, by my count), then consider giving it a chance. It seems to me like something really special is developing here.

Digimon Adventure - 1-3

So I've been in a bit of a slump when it comes to my anime lately. After playing a bit of Digimon Cyber Sleuth again, it occurred to me that I never watched the original Digimon subtitled.

I mean, I generally know how the story goes, the digivolutions, the music (Brave Heart especially), but I never actually gave the show a full-watch from beginning to end. So I thought of tackling this for a bit before I get back into my other shows I've been meaning to finish.

There really isn't much to say about the first three episodes alone other than them being mostly just set up. Thankfully it does a good job at that, establishing each of the seven children's personalities while still having their interactions off each other and their reactions to the world around them come off as natural.

You really don't get these kind of character designs in many kids anime these days, do you? There's a certain uniqueness that comes from the art style that I really can't say I've seen anywhere else.

Ooh, enjoy. I rewatched the whole thing last spring (probably my fifth or so full viewing), and I still love it dearly. It's such a timeless show.

blurr

Kuromukuro 03

Great episode, action sequence wasn't as extravagant as the 2nd episode but it was still pretty engaging.

I like the pace at which the story is moving forward with Kennosuke taking his time to adjust to the new world and coming to terms with the passage of time. This contrast of era is pretty amusing in the sense that he sees things wildly differently from people from the present. The change in governing system, technology, attire, geography etc. the mundane aspects turn into something interesting due to Kennosuke's reaction.

phaze

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (I didnt see any other anime thread) but im in a bit of a anime kick so can someone give some quick input on the following anime available on my region's netflix:

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Assault on Titan (super popular but worth it?)
Death Note (same as Titan)
Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas (is this a sequel to the 80s one or a reimagining?)
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

Little Witch Academia is about the only thing I can rec without any caveats.

Saint Saiya: Lost Canvas is a prequel story compared to the OG series. For me, it's easily the best thing to come out of SS-verse and even though it can't quite shed the trappings of the franchise, a decent shounen in its own right. If you have any nostalgia for the series, I'd recommend checking it out. Sadly the anime adapts only half of the manga, for the ending you'd have to go there.

Psycho-Pass has underwhelming first 2/3 where it's mostly 2-3 episode sort of stand alone arcs and a good last third.

Ajin/AoT are decent with plenty of flaws. Nothing that needs to be prioritized.

Would avoid Tokyo Ghoul and, going seemingly against the herd, Black Lagoon. The latters humour did nothing for me and it's stand alone arcs held little of my interest.

Digimon Adventure - 1-3

Digimon Adventure - 1-3

So I've been in a bit of a slump when it comes to my anime lately. After playing a bit of Digimon Cyber Sleuth again, it occurred to me that I never watched the original Digimon subtitled.

I mean, I generally know how the story goes, the digivolutions, the music (Brave Heart especially), but I never actually gave the show a full-watch from beginning to end. So I thought of tackling this for a bit before I get back into my other shows I've been meaning to finish.

There really isn't much to say about the first three episodes alone other than them being mostly just set up. Thankfully it does a good job at that, establishing each of the seven children's personalities while still having their interactions off each other and their reactions to the world around them come off as natural.

You really don't get these kind of character designs in many kids anime these days, do you? There's a certain uniqueness that comes from the art style that I really can't say I've seen anywhere else.

I hope your watching the Japanese version, not only for the far superior OST but because the English version sorta fucked up some characters (Mimi in particular).

Couldn't sleep this night and for some reason I started to rewatch the first batch of episodes of Sidonia S1.

Episode is sure one of the greatest stand-alone sci-fi anime episodes (not there are many in the first place).
Not just the UI designs and atypical mecha battles which I generally like quite a lot but also the sense of the danger of total annihilation was great in that episode.

Conan-san

I hope your watching the Japanese version, not only for the far superior OST but because the English version sorta fucked up some characters (Mimi in particular).

I'll fight you on the soundtrack. It's not better than the JP but I don't think it's bad enoguh to call the JP one "Far Superior".

The Dub OST certainly fit it more than it did Masked Rider that's for sure.

Thoguh the insert songs can take a long walk off a short pier.

Jintor

i love english digimon's ost but i acknowledge that it is deeply deeply different to what it should be.

also you get pretty sick of the same six songs over and over again

Cornbread78

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (I didnt see any other anime thread) but im in a bit of a anime kick so can someone give some quick input on the following anime available on my region's netflix:

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

I'll throw a curveball here and recommend Sword Art Online and Fairy Tale.

Both are really fun watches to at least check out and experience. I'm still working my way through Fairy Tale, but hace enjoyed my time with the world and characters so far.

blurr

Kuromukuro 04-06

This is one of the more realistic action anime I've seen and yet it remains charming and light hearted at times thanks to some of the characters. I absolutely love the character designs.

It still touches on the contrast between eras, the change in language (which I feel the show simplifies a bit), eating etiquette, the rise of cultural activities as a result of years of peace etc pairing with the fact that he was made to join high school is such an anime thing to do, it's as though they show no hesitance to indulge in the modern ways more than the ways of the past. Traditionalist feeling does feel belittled but only in good humor. The one thing I can't seem to buy is Kennosuke being left free and even made to live in the same house as Yukina. I suppose he is under constant surveillance of a few agents.

I was honestly surprised at the amount of work that went into moving the abandoned Kuromukuro mech and the consequences of that. It went as far as pointing how much it bothered the civilian commute and highlighted that shopping centers have reveled in the midst of this. That's an impressive level of detail.

It took nearly 3 episodes past 2 to get Ken and Yukina back into the mecha and there's noticeable difference in their relationship compared to the last time, this of course is a result of them spending more time and getting to know each other despite hitches in between. However, it feels more compelling than earlier.

fantastic scene

Thud

Gintama 101-105

The Shinsengumi Crisis arc. Already saw this one years back and it's still great.

As it's a long running series there are few tricks that stretch the episodes. However it's never really something that feels cheap.

According to MAL the last episode I saw was the next one.

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.
Everything on that list is worth a watch except for maybe lost canvas since I did not watch it.

But the best from that list are Seven deadly sins, Ajin and Knights of Sidonia.

I also suggest watching Fairy tail slowly, because it's quite repetitive.
---------------
Watching Digimon dubbed is the only true way.

NeonZ

Prequel taking place centuries before the original series.

Gintama 101-105

The Shinsengumi Crisis arc. Already saw this one years back and it's still great.

As it's a long running series there are few tricks that stretch the episodes. However it's never really something that feels cheap.

According to MAL the last episode I saw was the next one.

I actually miss Gintama's ways of extending episodes and the original one shot stories featured sometimes. The newest season had pretty much no filler (in fact, it skipped some comedic material and chapters from the manga) and ended up worse for it.

Thud

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

Watch some Death Note.

It's interesting in many ways.

I'll fight you on the soundtrack. It's not better than the JP but I don't think it's bad enoguh to call the JP one "Far Superior".

The Dub OST certainly fit it more than it did Masked Rider that's for sure.

Thoguh the insert songs can take a long walk off a short pier.

No way. The Japanese OST is definitely far superior. Takanori Arisawa's music is just downright beautiful and fits the show perfectly.

The dub music is just your generic synth crap.

-Minsc-

I actually miss Gintama's ways of extending episodes and the original one shot stories featured sometimes. The newest season had pretty much no filler (in fact, it skipped some comedic material and chapters from the manga) and ended up for it.

It wasn't always perfect, but I did find the filler fun most of the time. I'm watching the first arc of Dragonball Super at the moment and it's so easy to see the difference in the way the two shows handle filler.

For Gintama fight arcs, Yoshiwara in Flames did feel a little stretched. At the very least I feel they could have shortened it by one episode, maybe two. Though Gintama is dialogue heavy so I can see how things stretch out.

edit: Speaking of Yoshiwara in Flames, a movie adaption of that arc would be perfect.

Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Ajin
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Fairy Tail
Magi Adventure of Sinbad
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia
Little Witch Academy

Thank you in advance.

Attack on Titan aka Shingeki is worth watching

Of thst list Sword Art Online and FairyTail are the must watches of the list. Watch SAO immediately, its written by one of the leaders in japanese literature.

Avoid Black Lagoon and Little Witch Academy both are overall very boring and kind of aimless. Their leads are uninteresting pieces of characterless cardboards. They leave much to be desired.

Thud

I actually miss Gintama's ways of extending episodes and the original one shot stories featured sometimes. The newest season had pretty much no filler (in fact, it skipped some comedic material and chapters from the manga) and ended up for it.

Productions have changed yeah.

I'm actually much further in the manga, so it's more a rewatch.

Must be the work of a gorilla.

Ooh, enjoy. I rewatched the whole thing last spring (probably my fifth or so full viewing), and I still love it dearly. It's such a timeless show.

I'll probably enjoy it enough for the Brave Heart song playing all the time alone, but I'm really interested in seeing how the show goes into timeless classic territory with the characters and world building.

I promise I'll get back to Penguindrum soon. I've been really stressed out lately and I needed something simple and fun to calm my nerves.

Yeah, I'm watching the Japanese version.

Hey I remember most of this from the manga!

Dancing titan, Monkey Titan, fight at the tower, colossal titan appearing again, Sasha archer, Connie Village, the fight against Armored Titan...

... it's kind of spoilery trailer. You know what, I think that was almost all the fight scenes that will appear in the first 12 episodes of the season. Don't expect the entire season like that, they are condensing all the possible action in the trailer.

duckroll

Hey I remember most of this from the manga!

Dancing titan, Mokey Titan, fight at the tower, colossal titan appearing again, Sasha archer, Connie Village, the fight against Armored Titan...

... it's kind of spoilery trailer. You know what, I think that was almost all the fight scenes that will appear in the first 12 episodes of the season. Don't expect the entire season like that, they are condensing all the possible action in the trailer.

The first half of the season will be everything in the trailer. The second half will be political stuff leading up to Christina's declaration, and that'll be the end of season 2 imo.

The Great Passage 11

You know Ellie, we really are T̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶U̶s̶ err... The Great Passage.

Ok, not really, they don't namedrop the title, but we can see the title now in another light. The passage of life itself, and how we struggle and support each other, all for just giving the baton to the next one.
Nice ending for the series.

The Great Passage 11

You know Ellie, we really are T̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶U̶s̶ err... The Great Passage.

Ok, not really, they don't namedrop the title, but we can we the title now in another light. The passage of life itself, and how we struggle and support each other, all for just giving the baton to the next one.
Nice ending for the series.

It did namedrop the Japanese title though; the very last words of the show are "fume wo amu", or to build/compile (the word "amu" can mean to knit/weave or to compile/edit) a ship.

Kiss Him Not Me Episode 12 END
C0cyHzTXUAAhAoR.jpg:small
C0cy9TFWEAAa71x.jpg:small

Nana under Shino would be the best. Anyway Nana continually proved to be the best boy in this and probably the perfect one. Him having likeness to Shion in Mirage Saga cant be mere coincidence.

Also Shino doing this face while having Soma's food wars VA just made me think of food wars even more. I always loved Soma making this same face.
C0cvI2rWgAAhzut.jpg:small

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Good ships from this year:
Momoka x Kazuha (Girlish Number)
Sawako x Shiori (Miss Bernard said.)
Reigen x Ekubo (Mob Psycho 100)
Josuke x Mikitaka (DiU)
Ohta x Tanaka (Tanaka-kun is Always Listless)
Midori x Nova (Luluco)
Mars x Me (Sekkou Boys)

Occultic;Nine 11-12

92e6935cff1b424d939a3adb9c22fef7.jpg

So how was the finale of this show? Fantastic! without flaws? no way! But I loved it So many emotions were felt in that last episode! Time travel was well implemented, which was one thing I was kinf of scared of. Characters well all great, I really loved Yuta and those last few scenes with him were so good
Angel wings, last few words with his dad.
1281b87e182beac8da16aafbda50253b.jpg

The direction in those last 2 episode were also great, powerful scenes were well made. Of course some things did bother me a little at the end. We are left with some questions about the albino boy, Ririka's future time travel and her motivations and the ending did felt rushed.

I really liked that the opening and ending basically spoils the whole show with details hidden throughout the whole thing. Of course I see it now since I watched the whole thing, but those imo are some of the best kind of openings.
2c3b6dca6459f9babecd4c693bf5dcdb.jpg

Overall I'm pleased, O;9 was one of my favorite show this year and it deserves it's place in my AOTY list.

Sölf

After the very bad and confusing first episode, did Occultic;Nine become better? I did watch the second one and thought it was a bit better, but still pretty strange.

Also, that AoT 2 preview looks pretty cool. Still have to continue with the manga. I stopped where they just decided to go to "that basement". xD

Oh and to comment on the AoT PV, yeah looks lit. HOWEVER... They showed everything up to the point where I dropped the manga because of how boring it got. So either they go 1-cour, put this stuff out and call it a day, or it will be a 2-cour in which the first few episodes are basically what was shown on the PV and the rest is just boring politics all the way through until I don't know where (did not have the will to keep going).

Who knows, maybe the weekly format will actually help it's case. It was tough to be excited for the AoT manga when it only came out monthly, and all you got was politics and dialogue. On a weekly basis and animated maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

duckroll

Oh and to comment on the AoT PV, yeah looks lit. HOWEVER... They showed everything up to the point where I dropped the manga because of how boring it got. So either they go 1-cour, put this stuff out and call it a day, or it will be a 2-cour in which the first few episodes are basically what was shown on the PV and the rest is just boring politics all the way through until I don't know where (did not have the will to keep going).

Who knows, maybe the weekly format will actually help it's case. It was tough to be excited for the AoT manga when it only came out monthly, and all you got was politics and dialogue. On a weekly basis and animated maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

Well as it turns out the politics were really, really, really important in the end so....

Well as it turns out the politics were really, really, really important in the end so....
I believe you, I truly do. But the manga was going nowhere for a good bunch of months. On the bigger scale of things maybe that wouldn't really matter. Let's say the series got 6 chapters of politics. Doesn't seem like a lot, but then there is the fact that it released monthly. That's 6 months of just that, without much action. When you put it in that light, I think it's easy to assess why folks such as myself bailed the fuck out. There was no indication of this political arc going anywhere and it was just too long.

I dropped the manga like, a year or even more ago? And I remember you saying recently they just reached the basement. Take that in lol.

duckroll

I believe you, I truly do. But the manga was going nowhere for a good bunch of months. On the bigger scale of things maybe that wouldn't really matter. Let's say the series got 6 chapters of politics. Doesn't seem like a lot, but then there is the fact that it released monthly. That's 6 months of just that, without much action. When you put it in that light, I think it's easy to assess why folks such as myself bailed the fuck out. There was no indication of this political arc going anywhere and it was just too long.

I dropped the manga like, a year or even more ago? And I remember you saying recently they just reached the basement. Take that in lol.

No, I agree, it was fucking boring. A lot of it wasn't even like, interesting politics, it felt like delay tactics to not move the story forward too quickly. The author just isn't as good at writing drama or thriller elements as he is in writing action and surprises. But unfortunately he also structured the story such that all the political stuff turns out to be really important thematically, and are essential information to allow the audience to fully comprehend what the story is trying to do when it does reveal everything in the damn basement.

Lol. I'm just saying there's really no way they can cut it out in an adaptation unless they don't plan on adapting the entire manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom