• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamst3r

Maybe y'all can help me out here. I'm perusing through Netflix/Prime trying to find something that's story-based (as opposed to action) and slice-of-lifey, but not like...high school dramas or whatever. I really dug Non Non Byori and while I'm not looking for a 1:1 of that, something similar in tone to that or some of the less fantastical Ghibli flicks (Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, etc). Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Swiss Family Robinson? I can't think of anything on Netflix/Prime that exactly matches your request.

Gundam IBO S2 episode 13
e94Y3cs.jpg

I just learned who shares a voice with her

tumblr_mynw1mb4JO1rjwa86o1_500.gif

Quasar

Maybe y'all can help me out here. I'm perusing through Netflix/Prime trying to find something that's story-based (as opposed to action) and slice-of-lifey, but not like...high school dramas or whatever. I really dug Non Non Byori and while I'm not looking for a 1:1 of that, something similar in tone to that or some of the less fantastical Ghibli flicks (Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, etc). Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Great Passage. Silver Spoon. Kids on the Slope.

phaze

Jojo DIU 13-15
8l8ipn4lqy7x.gif

I see Araki just can't help himself. This last episode had literally an ability not working on Josuke cause he got mad and Koichi managing to retain one of his memories to himself despite Rohan's ability being explicitly about exposing all secrets of a person. Not mention covering 4 meters in a record time of 1 minute and the usual mountains of superficial dialogue. I wanted to get a glimpse of Kira, which I remember to be somewhere round here, to maybe just give me a nudge to restart this but I'm just triggering myself all over again.

Miss Bernard said 01
Anno put on blast, I like this show already.

Jojo DIU 13-15

I see Araki just can't help himself. This last episode had literally an ability not working on Josuke cause he got mad and Koichi managing to retain one of his memories to himself despite Rohan's ability being explicitly about exposing all secrets of a person. Not mention covering 4 meters in a record time of 1 minute and the usual mountains of superficial dialogue. I wanted to get a glimpse of Kira, which I remember to be somewhere round here, to maybe just give me a nudge to restart this but I'm just triggering myself all over again.

Sadly Jojo is just not for you, and I expect Kira will do nothing to change that.

phaze

Given your complaints about excessive talking in the middle of action, I can't imagine why.

A very valid point. I guess that just proves that one thing is not quite enough to deter me. I've plenty of shounens with similar issues (not to quite extent though I dare say) after all. The much brisker pacing of Part 2 must have helped too.

Quasar

So playing around with some fun categories for my end of year vote. Best mum, Best dad. Best imouto. Best oneechan. Best oniichan. Best Otouto.

Why can I not think of any males, when females are easy to name. Does it simply reflect my anime tastes? Who was a cool dad for instance? There's Shigeru from Natsume, but they seem pretty sparse. Ditto brothers. At least for people like me who arent into shounen for the most part.

Narag

So playing around with some fun categories for my end of year vote. Best mum, Best dad. Best imouto. Best oneechan. Best oniichan. Best Otouto.

Why can I not think of any males, when females are easy to name. Does it simply reflect my anime tastes? Who was a cool dad for instance? There's Shigeru from Natsume, but they seem pretty sparse. Ditto brothers. At least for people like me who arent into shounen for the most part.

Because you didn't watch Bungou Stray Dogs.

Josuke is like Joseph's ingenuity with Jotaro's careful planning.

In Part 4, you get to see Josuke set up his tricks like at the end with Kira and him in the house and how he grabs the ashtray and matches, throws the ash all over to see the bubble and starts lighting matches to see if the air bubble follows heat.

In Part 2, Josephs usual method of winning is some Rube Goldberg bullshit plan where he counts on his dismembered hand to fly into Cars at the just the right moment from the force of a volcano exploding so that he can be carried up a few feet higher and blasted off into space by the debris

Which is hilarious, but complete bullshit

Part 3 is by far the worst when it comes to ??????? stand limitations, like them being able to shrink for Lovers or Kakyoin never using mind control again. It also had kamehameha/rasengan/ja-janken special moves like Star Finger and Emerald Splash where later Stands don't rely on that.

convo

Getting caught up on details not lining up with what's "reasonable" or "logical" in the fictional world that is Jojo which is filled with nonsense that the characters themselves are confused by to the point of near mental break-downs,which they have to pull through anyway, just doesn't bring happiness or fulfilment to ones life. It's not worth picking on the weird and bizarre element of that series for too long. That just leads to madness and memes that are bad.

I recommend moving on you aren't forced to care about a series.

95% of JoJo fights after Part 3 begin with a character encountering something and going "WHAT THE FUCK?" for 3 chapters

Very rarely do the characters and the audience both know a Stand's ability before the encounter. Even when it is shown, its usually only a brief glimpse.

Ascheroth

God damn, this war arc on Earth in IBO S2 is abysmal. Hope that shit is over soon (currently started episode 7(32)). The payoff better be worth it.

Your Name is $300,000 from topping Spirited Away as the highest grossing anime movie of all time.

Maybe someone will make a TV anime series that outsells Bakemonogatari next?

lol thats never ever happening

phaze

In Part 2, Josephs usual method of winning is some Rube Goldberg bullshit plan where he counts on his dismembered hand to fly into Cars at the just the right moment from the force of a volcano exploding so that he can be carried up a few feet higher and blasted off into space by the debris

Which is hilarious, but complete bullshit

I think I admitted to that in our previous exchange of views on the subject. At the same time, I think earlier stuff was easily less blatant about those little contrivances then subsequent parts. But it's been a while and maybe I've simply just evolved a bit since and 'd feel the same about that part if viewed now.

Getting caught up on details not lining up with what's "reasonable" or "logical" in the fictional world that is Jojo which is filled with nonsense that the characters themselves are confused by to the point of near mental break-downs,which they have to pull through anyway, just doesn't bring happiness or fulfilment to ones life. It's not worth picking on the weird and bizarre element of that series for too long. That just leads to madness and memes that are bad.

I recommend moving on you aren't forced to care about a series.

I mean, you could literally handwave Bleach's issues with that kind of reasoning. "It's not supposed to make sense."

Anthem of the Heart

Drama was a bit heavy-handed in the latter half, but not as much as I expected given the previous collabs of Nagai and Okada. As were the egg metaphors. Everything else was pretty enjoyable though, from the build-up of the musical and the budding friendship between the main cast, as well the cathartic musical and conclusion. Always a sucker for musicals. Sort of wish I could see an actual conclusion of
Tasaki's confession to Naruse
, but overall it was a touching ending.

convo

Wow your name must be doing so well that from the time i replied to the post it went from 1.000.000 to 300.000. That or i am seeing things.

I mean, you could literally handwave Bleach's issues with that kind of reasoning. "It's not supposed to make sense."

Kubo desperately wants it to make sense and dedicates time to explaining it. JoJo has this problem at times, but Bleach is by far the worst ever when it comes to explaining abilities mid-fight to your enemy because you made an ability so convoluted you can't draw a situation where the reader could figure it out naturally.

phaze

Your Name is $300,000 from topping Spirited Away as the highest grossing anime movie of all time.

Maybe someone will make a TV anime series that outsells Bakemonogatari next?

lol thats never ever happening

user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png

Anthem of the Heart

Drama was a bit heavy-handed in the latter half, but not as much as I expected given the previous collabs of Nagai and Okada. As were the egg metaphors. Everything else was pretty enjoyable though, from the build-up of the musical and the budding friendship between the main cast, as well the cathartic musical and conclusion. Always a sucker for musicals. Sort of wish I could see an actual conclusion of

Need to finally remember to check this out.

convo

I never seen much bleach but the unappealing factor i see with the series is that it it is too serious to have fun with the bullshit. Like am i supposed to think this situation or fight makes perfect sense? That's just insulting. Jojo is comedic enough to have fun.

Ascheroth

Mobile Garbage - Iron-Blooded Idiots #32

Fuck you Takaki you little shit. That's what you get for being a naive and gullible idiot. Hope you're happy with the deathcount. At least he redeemed himself a tiny little bit at the end there.
Also Radice that fucking asshole. Of couse it's always the same 'adults are all evil and you can't trust them because they'll always backstab you'-storyline. This is getting really annoying.
Man this entire subplot was completely garbage. At least we got some sick Barbatos and Space Guts action out of this shitty dumpster fire.

Like I realize what this arc was going for and the way it ended managed to at least be somewhat satisfying, but the overall execution was just terrible.

I haven't even watched your name but I hope they say the movie title in it.

Like the girl and guy meet each other and they're all "what's..... Your name?"

I think every movie should say their title

Anthem of the Heart

The biggest complaint I have about this film is that the romantic elements felt tacked on, but overall I was very impressed by it. The sharp and highly creative direction in particular was something I wasn't expecting from Nagai.

Jex

Melody of Oblivion 23

It doesn't make any more sense in context.

One minute this show just invents a space ship outta nowhere, the next girls are being milked.

I thought I'd accidentally clicked on a very old thread. What's going on in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom