• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuuko was the best part of the ending, just like she was for pretty much the whole season.

Final episode was pretty good, although the show still falls short of Season 1.

C0yRxeAXcAA4cIJ.jpg
It is a shame we no longer get our weekly dose of Yuuko but all good things must come to pass. Final episode was pretty damn good and will leave a better aftertaste than the couple of episodes before it.

Code Geass 22

P3NCoSg.jpg

Oh man

Oh man I needed that. Just a sincere, full on belly laugh.

It feels like I'm a kid again, smashing my action figures together just to see them bounce off and go flying.

Cornbread78

Yeah I think that'd be a good decision. If it counts as 2 separate entries it'll take the top 2 spots for me.

It'll be 1 entry as far as I'm aware.

Code Geass 22
Oh man I needed that. Just a sincere, full on belly laugh.

Yes, THAT episode. That's the one where I lost it. I literally almost dropped my phone when it all went down, but it was hilarious, and disturbing, and hilarious and then disturbing, then finally hilarious again...

Tuck

Blue Exorcist ep. 23-END
FMTJD6j.jpg

OK, that final episode was dope as fu(k!

I realize they are going to reset the clock on the final 4 episodes that went completely rogue from the main storyline, but they were pretty fun to watch. I'm hyped to watch season 2 next week now and can't wait to see where they head with the story. One of those two has to land the blond girl (I'm guessing Rin takes the sensei route for cans woman!)

Either way, that was awesome to watch visually and the story made sense after the awful transitions earlier.

I liked Blue Exorsist. A lot actually. Even the filler was entertaining, even though it was super obvious where they deviated from the manga. May go back and watch it sans filler.

Also, check out the movie. No idea if it is canon or not, but it was very entertaining.

phaze

Hibike ! Euphonium S2 13 END
Endings like this one always leave misty eyed. Nice way to close things out, though that footage reusage took a bit longer than needed.This last ep made me realise that I've grown quite attached to most of those characters; Kumiko, Natsuki, Kaori, Asuka, class-rep ... even Yuuko who had amost amazing turnaround since her days as drama queen senpai bot in S1 I';; miss them ... Probably best chara designs from KyoAni, I even got used to their radioactive cheeks ...

As for the season as a whole, there were certainly missteps, the denouement to the Oboe arc kind of sullies even the preceding episodes, last ep wasn't all that hot either but I still would put this season somewhere around the first. It benefits from the already established framework and characters, consigns Kazuki, Sapphire ( and even Reina to an extent ) to the dustbin of relevance and spends time with more engaging characters and plotlines instead. I also much preferred character stuff that Kumiko got here with her interactions with Asuka or the sister.

The best or second best KyoAni show for me really. Which isn't saying much but still...

Eupho S2 - 13

I've expressed my dislike for the direction this season 2 so I'll refrain from repeating myself yet again.

The performances in this episode were very nice though. And of course they would end it like this. Couldn't help but lol at the last moment and the name drop.

So yeah, not a big fan of this show's second season. If I were to evaluate it from an artistic point it would get a 10/10, but with everything else going against it in my mind, I can't help but give this a 6.

So as for the season overall. These are my ratings and placements for the Fall 2016 AOTS:

1 - Haikyuu S3 - 9
2 - The Great Passage - 9
3 - Girlish Number - 9
4 - Gundam IBO S2 - 8
5 - WWWWorking!! - 8
6 - Euphonium S2 - 6
7 - Sangatsu - 6
DROPPED - Occultic;Nine - 4

Now to work on the AOTY list.

MSMrRound

I know quite a few have varying opinions on Euphonium S2, but I dare say most would agree that Tomoyo Kurosawa really nailed the role of Kumiko Oumae.

Glad that the voiceover director got her to try out for the main role when she was initially only auditioning for one of the bit roles instead.

Eupho S2 - 13

Felt a bit disjointed but then that may be thematically appropriate for the episode.

Overall the second season has taking its toll on me to the point where I actually felt close to nothing this episode. I mostly appreciated the wonderful Yuuko expression posted above and how nicely drawn/designed many of the background characters were here and throughout the show in general.

Eupho S2 - 13

Felt a bit disjointed but then that may be thematically appropriate for the episode.

Overall the second season has taking its toll on me to the point where I actually felt close to nothing this episode. I mostly appreciated the wonderful Yuuko expression posted above and how nicely drawn/designed many of the background characters were here and throughout the show in general.

Yuuuuup, yup, yup.

In order to evaluate my AOTY this year I made things a little simpler for myself. I actually kept a list handy and noted down my top 3 for each season, which I will now have to work with in order to put them in their appropriate placings:
2016_aoty.txt said:
WINTER
-Grimgar
-Rakugo
-Konosuba

SPRING
-Kiznaiver
-Re:Zero
-Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

SUMMER
-Mob Psycho 100
-91 Days
-ReLIFE

FALL
-Haikyuu!! S3
-The Great Passage
-Girlish Number
That's 12 shows. I looked through Anichart to see whether or not my feelings had changed towards this list, and the only show I was considering putting in was in the Spring slot, subbing Tanaka for Flying Witch. Ultimately though, Tanaka was I believe the stronger of the 2, since it wasn't rare for it to absolutely crack me up. FW had like maybe one or two standout moments, but nothing mindblowing. Which is fine for the type of show it is, but I honestly think I can only have it as a honorable mention.

2 of these obviously won't make the cut, and the placing of each individual show is honestly what is going to take most of my time. I'm actually having trouble with some right here.

Cornbread78

Yuuuuup, yup, yup.

In order to evaluate my AOTY this year I made things a little simpler for myself. I actually kept a list handy and noted down my top 3 for each season, which I will now have to work with in order to put them in their appropriate placings:

That's 12 shows. I looked through Anichart to see whether or not my feelings had changed towards this list, and the only show I was considering putting in was in the Spring slot, subbing Tanaka for Flying Witch. Ultimately though, Tanaka was I believe the stronger of the 2, since it wasn't rare for it to absolutely crack me up. FW had like maybe one or two standout moments, but nothing mindblowing. Which is fine for the type of show it is, but I honestly think I can only have it as a honorable mention.

2 of these obviously won't make the cut, and the placing of each individual show is honestly what is going to take most of my time. I'm actually having trouble with some right here.

It's almost scary how close our lists are for the first three seasons outside of ReLife and Grimgar...

It's almost scary how close our lists are for the first three seasons outside of ReLife and Grimgar...
Well I have noted in the past that me and you have similar tastes. Although I don't consume as much anime as you, on a seasonal basis, me and you watch almost the same shows and like them the same. I'm not as critical as some are here, although I am starting to feel some bitterness in me and not being able to put up with as much crap as before. I am noticing more on the technical/production side, but I also place great importance in the actual entertainment value that I get out of a show.

A good example is Eupho 2 this season. On a technical note the show was beautiful, even if the writing was kind of subpar. Maybe my rating for it would have been higher than a 6, had I not been rolling my eyes and yawning every week. I wasn't entertained.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Eupho S2 12
An episode that begs to be scanned through. Stuff like this is just dreadful for me because none of these interactions even really pretend to be the main hook for the series. Reina continues to be absent and everything kind of just falls on Kumiko's interactions with Asuka. Even from a visual standpoint the show is pretty underwhelming. There is just no eye to marry the presentation to the themes if the show here, so even if Asuka's goodbye has excellent details like footprints in the snow there is no followthrough to show Kumiko sizing herself up against them or following them. Attention to detail is also pretty low. KyoAni is usually pretty good about accurate clothing but here we have characters with little clothing not reacting to snowy weather, inconsistent use of jackets outdoors, etc. I know it sounds like not a big deal but it just makes everything as a whole feel like it has poor visual planning.

Girlish Number Final
Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Super boring. Total miss on emotional message between characters and with its message to the audience. You can't do this on your last episode and get away with it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sound! Euphonium 2 Episode 13:

This was basically one big apology for not having Asuka and Kumiko hook up because of reasons. Seriously I think Asuka became the actual co-protagonist this season given how far Reina slid down in terms of importance to both the story and Kumiko. The Take tangent really was terrible for her character in a multitude of manners. This show still isn't convincing me that Suichi is a credible anything because you need more then 30 second segments to actually build up emotional resonance. Finally the overall message of this episode, the flat and circular nature of time and generations was honestly handled about a thousand times better in the final episode of The Great Passage.

Cornbread78

Must stop buying yuri visual novels on Steam. MUST STOP.

You fiend!

So glad I didn't bother with Eupho 2...

So after all is said and done, this season ended up pretty meh..

AOTS rankings:

WWW.Working!!
Poco's Udon World
Twin Star Exorcists
3-gatsu no Lion
Izetta
MAgical Girl Raising Project
Occultic;Nine
Nanbaka

Dropped:
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Flip Flappers
My wife is a ho
All Out!!
Brave Witches

Szadek

Depending on how good the last few episodes of Concrete Revolutio S2 are, it has a good chance at making it into my top 5 of the year.

invite your family and friends

They aren't worthy. But my puppy will be with me.

Funnily enough when I watch anime on my laptop, be it on my desk when he is on my lap, or when I'm laying on my bed and he is by my side, he watches almost the entirety of an episode with this weird attention to the characters on screen. He does not sleep, try to reach the screen or anything. He just watches and tilts his head like this:
mark-taylor-jack-russell-terrier-x-chihuahua-puppy-nipper-standing-and-looking-quizzical-with-head-tilted.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Life-size Rem figure to cost over $12000

The competition for Re:Zero's honorary "best girl" may be continuing because FigureX recently unveiled its life-size figure of Rem. The figure stands about 149 centimeters (about 4'11") tall with the pedestal, and she costs 1.48 million yen (about US$12,600). Due to fan demand, FigureX expanded the limited release from 10 to 30 figures.

Subaru's companion wears a maid outfit and holds a mop in this real-world recreation. FigureX is using a digital mold and high-performance 3D printer to create the figures. Details like the frills and ribbons on the maid clothes get the attention they deserve to make a faithful model of Rem. The base conceals a speaker.

The figure's preorder period opened on Saturday, and it will close on February 2. The figure will go on sale in August, and orders will ship in the order they are received.

CzcDhO6.jpg

Narag

Hot Take:
I'm telling you the JoJo and MHA communities are going to crush the AOTY voting; There is just no way to avoid that train from crashing the party... Even Berzerk has a shot to be up there:

Look at these OTs:
Berserk:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240683&highlight=berserk+2016

JoJo:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202858&highlight=jojo

MHA:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203630&highlight=my+hero

Many of these posters will not venture in here, but can all vote.... So yeah... Good luck getting your favorite shitty anime into the top three, lol.

Rakugo will not score high because very few to no casuals have heard of it, watched it, or will care to watch it since there is no action or focus on "shipping" in the show... (the shipping part is more for me, lol)
Never forget the year that Space Dandy was a lock for aoty since every red blooded toonami fan would only have that to vote for and nothing else.

JoJo has like 5x the cred on GAF then the MHA/Berserk anime, and people in here actually liked DiU. If anything can steal the top spot from Rakugo it will be JoJo because like Space Dandy, it has a lot of people who like it here and on off topic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eupho S2 END

Maybe I'm the only one who enjoyed season 2 but I felt it was a great way to end the season. The music was well done and the flashbacks made me reflect on my own life lol. Now I'm wondering if there will be a season 3 or if it ends here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom