• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoJo has like 5x the cred on GAF then the MHA/Berserk anime, and people in here actually liked DiU. If anything can steal the top spot from Rakugo it will be JoJo because like Space Dandy, it has a lot of people who like it here and on off topic.

That's sensible. I don't think My Hero Academia has enough fans to even place in a top 10 of voting, and pretty much no one liked the Berserk anime, but Diamond is Unbreakable is widely liked (and actually good) so that has a shot at taking the top place in voting. I think either it or Mob will take the top place; Rakugo will place in the top 5 but probably not number 1.

Moaradin

Highly doubt that, it might crack top 3. Not as many people watched MP100 as JoJo or OPM.

I'll be pretty surprised if JoJo wins tbh. Long running series tend to have a pretty big disadvantage, even for something as popular as JoJo. Even Soma beat it last year, and SDC had a similar popular OT and it was well liked enough. I think it will be top 3 though.

39 episodes in one year + high quality adaptation of one of the best JoJo parts + 14,000 posts in the OT + positive impressions in the main anime OT + the growing Western appreciation for JoJo + a lot of people watching JoJo probably don't watch much else makes it hard for me to see it not winning in a popularity contest here. We'll see, it'll be #3 on my list anyway.

Top 3 will probably be a combo of Mob, JoJo and Rakugo and not just saying that because my Top 3 will also be a combo of those.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've gotta pay more attention to older series slipping their way onto Cruncyroll's backlog the last while. I'm finding a lot of stuff there now that wasn't before and had no idea it was added. =O

Also, bingeing on Ace of the Diamond right now and really liking it. =)

Jex

I think Mob Psycho will take it tbh

No way. DIU feels like about a solid a lock for No. 1 in the AOTY thread as DOOM is for the GB GOTY.

I feel like MPR has already covered this, but DIU crosses the gap between 'mainstream' and 'hardcore' anime fan and this season has pleased both camps greatly. This is basically a first for any JoJo's series and therefore I feel its combined appeal will propel it to the top.

The only knock against it will be the rough patch in the middle, but that just means it might not rank right at the top of some people's lists, but I feel it will appear fairly high on most lists. Compare this to something like Rakugo or Mob Psycho, shows which will surely be ranked at the top of a smaller number of people's lists only.

Tuck

Gay Bait on IceYuri on Ice 6-12
Plowed through this show in two days. It was really good. I don't think this post has any major spoilers, so I did not use spoiler tags - if anyone disagrees please let me know and I'll make the change.

The positives:
-Awesome cast of characters. Diverse, with a great variation in personalities. Yuri and Victor (and Yurio) all have great chemistry together, and are the driving force in the show.

-The skating: impressive animation, very fun to watch.

-Awesome ED, so catchy

-The development between Yuri and Victor was done very well - I mentioned above that they have great chemistry, but you do really see their relationship blossom over the course of the season. And having a gay relationship in a mainstream anime, done well, is a wonderful thing.

The negatives
-The skating is repetitive: Because each contestant only has two, maybe three sequences, and we see them each multiple times, it does get a bit repetitive. They're fun to watch though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

-Side characters could have used more development. They're a fun cast, but the show doesn't do a full job in making me care about them, like they did with Yuri, Yurio and Victor

-Opening song is garbage

The fujoshi/gay bait and the portrayal of Yuri and Victor's romance
So, this ends up being a positive, and a negative for me. I should note, this is written from the perspective of a gay man.

I like the gay bait. Its fun. It was not at all subtle, but it was consistently hilarious. And I liked that the show was being pretty heavy handed with the relationship.

But the problem is, the show seemed more concerned with teasing rather than committing, and that seems like a cop-out. They had a real opportunity to make waves here, and they took the easy way out. The result is that all that bait ends up feeling a bit cheap, rather than legitimate. It feels like they really were just pandering to the fujoshi, rather than trying to be bold and courageous in their portrayal of two LGBT characters from two countries that aren't really all that LGBT friendly. That's disappointing.

Not only that, but sometimes it felt like Victor was using the flirting more as encouragement for Yuri, in combination with his own general flamboyance and eccentric personality, and wasn't truly into Yuri at all in that way.

So, I am conflicted. Yuri on Ice is a pretty gay show, and thats one of the things I liked about it. But it failed to commit to it, and that left me disappointed.

Even so, it seems like we'll be getting a second season. Considering how much I enjoyed this one, I'm eager to see where they go.

No way. DIU feels like about a solid a lock for No. 1 in the AOTY thread as DOOM is for the GB GOTY.

I feel like MPR has already covered this, but DIU crosses the gap between 'mainstream' and 'hardcore' anime fan and this season has pleased both camps greatly. This is basically a first for any JoJo's series and therefore I feel its combined appeal will propel it to the top.

The only knock against it will be the rough patch in the middle, but that just means it might not rank right at the top of some people's lists, but I feel it will appear fairly high on most lists. Compare this to something like Rakugo or Mob Psycho, shows which will surely be ranked at the top of a smaller number of people's lists only.

The problem for it is that it's the 4th iteration in a series which limits how many people will have watched it.

Quasar

The real god damned tragedy of the AOTY voting is going to be The Great Passage.

Yeah. I still don't get why Amazon did what it did. It is
on my list though.

Then again despite no western release somehow Yamato 2199 did well. Clearly all those voters imported a copy from Japan.

Gay Bait on IceYuri on Ice 6-12
Plowed through this show in two days. It was really good. I don't think this post has any major spoilers, so I did not use spoiler tags - if anyone disagrees please let me know and I'll make the change.

The positives:
-Awesome cast of characters. Diverse, with a great variation in personalities. Yuri and Victor (and Yurio) all have great chemistry together, and are the driving force in the show.

-The skating: impressive animation, very fun to watch.

-Awesome ED, so catchy

-The development between Yuri and Victor was done very well - I mentioned above that they have great chemistry, but you do really see their relationship blossom over the course of the season. And having a gay relationship in a mainstream anime, done well, is a wonderful thing.

The negatives
-The skating is repetitive: Because each contestant only has two, maybe three sequences, and we see them each multiple times, it does get a bit repetitive. They're fun to watch though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

-Side characters could have used more development. They're a fun cast, but the show doesn't do a full job in making me care about them, like they did with Yuri, Yurio and Victor

-Opening song is garbage

The fujoshi/gay bait and the portrayal of Yuri and Victor's romance
So, this ends up being a positive, and a negative for me. I should note, this is written from the perspective of a gay man.

I like the gay bait. Its fun. It was not at all subtle, but it was consistently hilarious. And I liked that the show was being pretty heavy handed with the relationship.

But the problem is, the show seemed more concerned with teasing rather than committing, and that seems like a cop-out. They had a real opportunity to make waves here, and they took the easy way out. The result is that all that bait ends up feeling a bit cheap, rather than legitimate. It feels like they really were just pandering to the fujoshi, rather than trying to be bold and courageous in their portrayal of two LGBT characters from two countries that aren't really all that LGBT friendly. That's disappointing.

Not only that, but sometimes it felt like Victor was using the flirting more as encouragement for Yuri, in combination with his own general flamboyance and eccentric personality, and wasn't truly into Yuri at all in that way.

So, I am conflicted. Yuri on Ice is a pretty gay show, and thats one of the things I liked about it. But it failed to commit to it, and that left me disappointed.

Even so, it seems like we'll be getting a second season. Considering how much I enjoyed this one, I'm eager to see where they go.

I think there's some cultural disconnect between how the series is perceived in Japan and the West. Mitsuro Kubo, the manga artist who wrote the story for this show, has said that she found it funny that foreign viewers seemed to need more confirmation on scenes such as the episode 7 kiss when Japanese viewers didn't need any.

gargles

Hibike! Euphonium S2 - 13

You sure you don't want to make Kumiko x Asuka canon? Seems to work better than with Shuuichi.

Great finale for a not that great season. Wouldn't consider it awful or even bad but after that first season and with these characters, I was expecting better. These two performances (Prefectural Competition and this last one), Asuka and Yuuko (plus Natsuki) were not enough to compensate for all those weaker arcs. I was also expecting more from Reina. Way more.

I will miss this cast. Unfortunately, I was hoping they went out with a bang, with an AOTY contender. It just didn't happen. But overall, I loved Euphonium. It was good.

About my top, I still have some doubts regarding positions and even final picks for #9 and #10. I can think of 4 or 5 shows that could fill those slots. At least the other ones are already chosen. I just have to sort them (#2 and #3 and #4 to #6).

Clov

Yeah, yeah.

It'll be first on my list, even if I'm the only one.

You liked it better than Rakugo? I'm surprised! I really enjoyed it, but I definitely didn't like it as much as that. The Great Passage will likely take the number 2 or 3 spot on my list, I still need to review everything I really enjoyed this year.

You liked it better than Rakugo? I'm surprised! I really enjoyed it, but I definitely didn't like it as much as that. The Great Passage will likely take the number 2 or 3 spot on my list, I still need to review everything I really enjoyed this year.

Rakugo's place is weakened mainly because the first season ended on a quasi-cliffhanger leading into the upcoming season rather than any conclusive feeling. If the second half is executed at the same level as the first, than I should end up liking the show as a whole more than The Great Passage.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think there's some cultural disconnect between how the series is perceived in Japan and the West. Mitsuro Kubo, the manga artist who wrote the story for this show, has said that she found it funny that foreign viewers seemed to need more confirmation on scenes such as the episode 7 kiss when Japanese viewers didn't need any.
really, romance in JP media. or at least anime, is usually implied. Things are usually never super explicit even in straight people anime.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka END
In the end, this show ended up being more of a drama than a comedy, but the eccentric artstyle and characters made this a worthwhile watch each week. I look forward to seeing where the story goes next season.

Gvitor

Eupho S2 finale

I liked it. I think it went a little too far in the flashback reel time, and I don't like this Kumiko x Shuichi push (or rather, the way they did it), but other than that I think it was a solid finale with a decent goodbye to these third years. All of this only works if we get another season, though (and the way they lost the nationals in the previous episode only reinforces that), so I'm all for it.

I see people saying this season was disappointing and that it probably won't make it in their AOTY lists, but I liked it. While not as good as the first, it will probably be on my list. Specially considering I'm so behind in autumn stuff...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
really, romance in JP media. or at least anime, is usually implied. Things are usually never super explicit even in straight people anime.
When Yuri on Ice backs away from being explicit about men having relationships with each other anywhere in its universe it is kind of different though. Yes, the world of YoI is seems nonplussed about homosexuality but at the same time it sure goes out of its way to veer away from inhabiting that space head on. It kind of becomes unintentionally thoughtless or disrespectful by not taking the idea completely seriously. In the end it's closest relatives are exploitative fujoshi shows from an author with a history of objectifying men.

Girlish Number Final
That was a really nice ending to the series. I do enjoy how they ended with Chitose having learned from her mistakes to become a better actor and person,

Brave Witches END

C0zedzGXcAAljXb.jpg
C0zedzHXUAEgp8d.jpg
Another great season of Witches comes to an amazing end. They sure know how to keep a final battle interesting and make the girls look badass as possible while doing it. . Props to Hikari being a top notch MC despite my doubts in the beginning, she isn't better than Miyafuji in my eyes, but she's still a great Witch.
Her older sister is better though let's be real.

Sure hope we don't have to wait years till the next Witches related thing

TUSR

Banned
Brave Witches END

Another great season of Witches comes to an amazing end. They sure know how to keep a final battle interesting and make the girls look badass as possible while doing it. . Props to Hikari being a top notch MC despite my doubts in the beginning, she isn't better than Miyafuji in my eyes, but she's still a great Witch.

Episode 13 next year though.

Theonik

Code Geass 25 Season 1 end

A cliffhanger? My heart goes out to the poor souls who were watching this show when it first released.
We also waited more than 2 months for these last 2 episodes.

Brave Witches END

Well looking at the number of ADs on this show the production team must have sweat blood and tears to deliver this show!

duckroll

Looks it got the short end of Cygame's large money stick.
Got delayed to April, the new trailer showed nothing and kinda looks bad.

?????????????

It looks like an expensive production to me. The actual quality of the product given the director and the studio is another matter. I don't expect it to be particularly good. But what about it looks "bad" in terms of production? It retains a lot of the trademark Minaba art style in the shading and colors, which is something important for Granblue fans. This in turn probably makes it pretty hard on the finishing staff. If this were a cheap project, it wouldn't look like this, it would look like Xenosaga the Animation. Getting delayed is also a sign that the production is well funded and the sponsors are more interested in releasing something when it is ready rather than rushing it for a date. They still have January blocked for an hour long special, so they're paying for those slots as well.

Just because MAPPA has a bunch of talented animators and have the resources to put them all on their biggest budget project, doesn't mean the same applies to A-1. I would not be surprised if Granblue has more funding than Bahamut, especially given how the series is going to be twice as long too (right?), but keep in mind the best -animation- staff which A-1 can get are probably all busy right now working on the Sword Art Online movie.

Wanderer5

*Avatar change* Blue Exorcist.<3 I need to still re-read the manga till the Impure King arc least.

Looks like it just be 12 episodes, but that should be fine, with the arc being like 18 chapters.

?????????????

It looks like an expensive production to me. The actual quality of the product given the director and the studio is another matter. I don't expect it to be particularly good. But what about it looks "bad" in terms of production? It retains a lot of the trademark Minaba art style in the shading and colors, which is something important for Granblue fans. This in turn probably makes it pretty hard on the finishing staff. If this were a cheap project, it wouldn't look like this, it would look like Xenosaga the Animation. Getting delayed is also a sign that the production is well funded and the sponsors are more interested in releasing something when it is ready rather than rushing it for a date. They still have January blocked for an hour long special, so they're paying for those slots as well.

Just because MAPPA has a bunch of talented animators and have the resources to put them all on their biggest budget project, doesn't mean the same applies to A-1. I would not be surprised if Granblue has more funding than Bahamut, especially given how the series is going to be twice as long too (right?), but keep in mind the best -animation- staff which A-1 can get are probably all busy right now working on the Sword Art Online movie.

Or they just finished working on Occultic;Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom