• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenstar

Looked okay, apart from this shot:

bahmut4gxjh.png

I can't handle how unbalanced the frame is!

Maybe it's intentionally unbalanced, maybe his #2 turned on him and the shot is highlighting the loss of him

Gay Bait on IceYuri on Ice 6-12
Plowed through this show in two days. It was really good. I don't think this post has any major spoilers, so I did not use spoiler tags - if anyone disagrees please let me know and I'll make the change.

The positives:
-Awesome cast of characters. Diverse, with a great variation in personalities. Yuri and Victor (and Yurio) all have great chemistry together, and are the driving force in the show.

-The skating: impressive animation, very fun to watch.

-Awesome ED, so catchy

-The development between Yuri and Victor was done very well - I mentioned above that they have great chemistry, but you do really see their relationship blossom over the course of the season. And having a gay relationship in a mainstream anime, done well, is a wonderful thing.

The negatives
-The skating is repetitive: Because each contestant only has two, maybe three sequences, and we see them each multiple times, it does get a bit repetitive. They're fun to watch though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

-Side characters could have used more development. They're a fun cast, but the show doesn't do a full job in making me care about them, like they did with Yuri, Yurio and Victor

-Opening song is garbage

The fujoshi/gay bait and the portrayal of Yuri and Victor's romance
So, this ends up being a positive, and a negative for me. I should note, this is written from the perspective of a gay man.

I like the gay bait. Its fun. It was not at all subtle, but it was consistently hilarious. And I liked that the show was being pretty heavy handed with the relationship.

But the problem is, the show seemed more concerned with teasing rather than committing, and that seems like a cop-out. They had a real opportunity to make waves here, and they took the easy way out. The result is that all that bait ends up feeling a bit cheap, rather than legitimate. It feels like they really were just pandering to the fujoshi, rather than trying to be bold and courageous in their portrayal of two LGBT characters from two countries that aren't really all that LGBT friendly. That's disappointing.

Not only that, but sometimes it felt like Victor was using the flirting more as encouragement for Yuri, in combination with his own general flamboyance and eccentric personality, and wasn't truly into Yuri at all in that way.

So, I am conflicted. Yuri on Ice is a pretty gay show, and thats one of the things I liked about it. But it failed to commit to it, and that left me disappointed.

Even so, it seems like we'll be getting a second season. Considering how much I enjoyed this one, I'm eager to see where they go.

I wanted a kiss even one from victory and not obscured, but I did get them holding hands so was pleased, I love when two guys in love hold hands.

Sterok

Girlish Number 12

A pretty typical, yet safe ending. Chitose became a slightly better person, but not perfect, and overall everyone came out of this better than they were at the beginning. I don't see this show as being that cynical about the industry. It shows some of its less than stellar sides and how a lot of the people involved really shouldn't be where they are, but it shows that if you work hard and have the talent, you will be rewarded. Overall, one of the stronger anime I've seen this year.

I agree. Anohana, Clannad, Air, Kanon and Plastic Memories all hit a little harder with the emotional side. Shit, even Angel Bears did and that was more rushed

Yeah it was alright but it didn't hit hard like other shows did. From what I've heard I thought it was going to be something tragic like
having the main hero not make it in time on the train or the girl dying or something but instead it was just a very real scenario about how life is when people grow apart
Its still interesting though when you compare it to yourself. Also I made the mistake of watching Angel Beats and Anohana back to back, man was I mess for that week.

Two initial thoughts about Kizumonogatari II:

1) I see Araragi is a disciple of the Joseph Joestar school of fighting.

2) The sound effects guy had an unhealthy amount of fun.

Nice. I just watched this last week and really enjoyed it as well. I said the same thing about the way it looked for an "older" anime. Good stuff.

I have a lot of these older gems to go through still. I wanna get through the whole GITS Universe because the whole idea behind it fascinates me. BUT I also know that I need to check out Akira, and I have had that just sitting here for ages, amongst the entirety of my other backlog aha

Cornbread78

Yeah it was alright but it didn't hit hard like other shows did. From what I've heard I thought it was going to be something tragic like
having the main hero not make it in time on the train or the girl dying or something but instead it was just a very real scenario about how life is when people grow apart
Its still interesting though when you compare it to yourself. Also I made the mistake of watching Angel Beats and Anohana back to back, man was I mess for that week.

Ouch. Have watched the Key shows yet, or Plastic Memories?

I have a lot of these older gems to go through still. I wanna get through the whole GITS Universe because the whole idea behind it fascinates me. BUT I also know that I need to check out Akira, and I have had that just sitting here for ages, amongst the entirety of my other backlog aha

Same here. Since I just started watching anime a couple years ago (almost to the day) I've only watched GiTS, Bebop and Kare Kano for 90's shows..

Ouch. Have watched the Key shows yet, or Plastic Memories?
Which key shows?

I was watching plastic memories due to a gif I saw. But then I made the mistake of trying to listen to the theme song on YouTube and read spoiler comments by accident :/

I still want to finish it properly but I just haven't had the urge. In general I haven't been watching anime throughout my vacation, until now with 5cm.

Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2016

This list covers sales surveyed from December 20, 2015 to December 11, 2016. It includes the raw yen totals of Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels in print, and manga in print, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2016/.110442

1- 8,048,798,040 Love Live!
2- 6,656,539,884 One Piece
3- 6,390,467,716 Osomatsu-kun*
4- 5,385,359,888 The IDOLM@STER
5- 4,508,140,510 Haikyu!!
6- 4,368,473,005 Mobile Suit Gundam
7- 4,234,939,485 Girls und Panzer
8- 4,216,044,680 Assassination Classroom
9- 3,845,406,579 Attack on Titan
10- 3,844,859,484 Kingdom
11- 3,627,055,636 Star Wars Series
12- 3,372,664,826 Monogatari Series
13- 3,271,319,757 Tokyo Ghoul
14- 2,862,527,019 Detective Conan
15- 2,757,902,468 HiGH&LOW
16- 2,727,119,180 The Seven Deadly Sins (Nakaba Suzuki)
17- 2,703,360,132 your name.
18- 2,668,416,616 Kamen Rider Series
19- 2,596,513,416 My Hero Academia
20- 2,005,169,078 One-Punch Man
21- 1,954,757,080 Sekaiichi Muzukashii Koi
22- 1,934,633,401 Harry Potter Series
23- 1,929,039,372 ARIA
24- 1,913,547,397 Terra Formars
25- 1,878,804,092 Bungo Stray Dogs
26- 1,831,704,636 Erased
27- 1,787,213,253 Fairy Tail
28- 1,779,308,558 Chihayafuru
29- 1,763,517,268 Food Wars: Shokugeki no Sōma
30- 1,736,933,640 Gintama

I'm happy to see MHA in the top 20! well deserved!

Cornbread78

Which key shows?

I was watching plastic memories due to a gif I saw. But then I made the mistake of trying to listen to the theme song on YouTube and read spoiler comments by accident :/

I still want to finish it properly but I just haven't had the urge. In general I haven't been watching anime throughout my vacation, until now with 5cm.

For Key shows:
Clannad/Clannad After Story (The most impactful show by far)
Kanon(2006) <has some really touching and heart breaking moments>
Air (this one has such a weird tone of sadness to it)
Little Busters! (Thus one hits hard as well, but the theme is on friendship and those tight bonds instead of "loved ones."

Well, there's not much to spoil with PM. It's all about excellent execution in the later episodes. Tbey should have done a few things better, but the show doesn't hide the end game from thr viewer at all. It didn't get a ton of love here, but man...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-29/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2016/.110442

5- 4,508,140,510 Haikyu!!
6- 4,368,473,005 Mobile Suit Gundam
7- 4,234,939,485 Girls und Panzer
8- 4,216,044,680 Assassination Classroom
9- 3,845,406,579 Attack on Titan
10- 3,844,859,484 Kingdom
11- 3,627,055,636 Star Wars Series
12- 3,372,664,826 Monogatari Series
13- 3,271,319,757 Tokyo Ghoul
14- 2,862,527,019 Detective Conan
15- 2,757,902,468 HiGH&LOW
16- 2,727,119,180 The Seven Deadly Sins (Nakaba Suzuki)
17- 2,703,360,132 your name.
18- 2,668,416,616 Kamen Rider Series
19- 2,596,513,416 My Hero Academia
20- 2,005,169,078 One-Punch Man
21- 1,954,757,080 Sekaiichi Muzukashii Koi
22- 1,934,633,401 Harry Potter Series
23- 1,929,039,372 ARIA
24- 1,913,547,397 Terra Formars
25- 1,878,804,092 Bungo Stray Dogs
26- 1,831,704,636 Erased
27- 1,787,213,253 Fairy Tail
28- 1,779,308,558 Chihayafuru
29- 1,763,517,268 Food Wars: Shokugeki no S&#333;ma
30- 1,736,933,640 Gintama

Harry Potter...excludes film tickets...what were they buying? your name.??? Assassination Classroom had movies too.

I dont understand that list, food wars? Bungou Stray Dogs? Really?

Harry Potter...excludes film tickets...what were they buying? your name.??? Assassination Classroom had movies too.

I dont understand that list, food wars? Bungou Stray Dogs? Really?

Books and the movies I guess. Fantastic beast came out recently, maybe that gave a boost to the series? It counts as something from the Harry Potter series no?

Bungo was fairly popular and the anime this year must have given a boost to the manga too.

For Key shows:
Clannad/Clannad After Story (The most impactful show by far)
Kanon(2006) <has some really touching and heart breaking moments>
Air (this one has such a weird tone of sadness to it)
Little Busters! (Thus one hits hard as well, but the theme is on friendship and those tight bonds instead of "loved ones."

Well, there's not much to spoil with PM. It's all about excellent execution in the later episodes. Tbey should have done a few things better, but the show doesn't hide the end game from thr viewer at all. It didn't get a ton of love here, but man...

My bro is a big Clannad fan. I'll have to watch it. It's one of those shows that I should watch but when I did I did it at the wrong time lol. Just didn't feel like slice of life for those first episodes.

I'll watch it though. Just gotta make time, or not sleep :v

Jk rollings books must have long legs, if only sites took interest in translating the top normal books from oricon not just manga and ln:(

Books and the movies I guess. Fantastic beast came out recently, maybe that gave a boost to the series? It counts as something from the Harry Potter series no?

Bungo was fairly popular and the anime this year must have given a boost to the manga too.
I thought bungou had barely made the best selling 30 list of manga franchises, the other stuff associated with it must gave really made up for the more numerous manga sales from things like World Trigger.

Cornbread78

My bro is a big Clannad fan. I'll have to watch it. It's one of those shows that I should watch but when I did I did it at the wrong time lol. Just didn't feel like slice of life for those first episodes.

I'll watch it though. Just gotta make time, or not sleep :v

It's definitely worth your time for the experience alone. The first season is to get to know the characters and set up everything that happens in After Story (yeah, very SoL). You will definately laugh and cry
and cry again and then again dammit..
but it is soooo worth it.

So yeah. Watch that next and enjoy the ride...

dafuq? Just saw an ad for Crunchyroll on AMC.

Since when did they buy ads on AMC? Nevermind ads for a slot during a Breaking Bad marathon. Seems like a bit of a demographic mismatch for an ad campaign.

...And bloody hell, I think I might have invalidated my own point by the fact that I'm watching a Breaking Bad marathon and watch anime... Uh, casually. For research purposes. Time to slap myself with the hardest facepalm I can.

Garo Divine Flame
C0zx_Hv_TVQAAWU5c.jpg
C0zym4d_Uk_AAFN2_D.jpg

Is it possible for an anime character to be too attractive? To be too perfectly tailored for me?

Garo Divine Flame is fucking dope, and has some of the best action I've seen in years. If you're tired of limp boring action scenes, Divine Flame is the shot in the arm you've been waiting. Every action scene is bigger than the last, and it all culminates in a final scene of dynamic excess that seems straight out of a platinum game, yet still manages to have a strong human element. That alone makes Divine Flame worth seeing in my eyes, but the movie just feels good for fans of the series. The gang is all here, and while I do wish some characters got a bit more focus, the film feels like it understands what made the show work. (Speaking of working, the horror designs in this one. The dragon horror towards the middle in particular is basically everything I want out of monster design.) It doesn't turn anything storywise on its head, and it doesn't take away anything from previous events in the series.

That's sensible. I don't think My Hero Academia has enough fans to even place in a top 10 of voting, and pretty much no one liked the Berserk anime, but Diamond is Unbreakable is widely liked (and actually good) so that has a shot at taking the top place in voting. I think either it or Mob will take the top place; Rakugo will place in the top 5 but probably not number 1.

I'll be pretty surprised if JoJo wins tbh. Long running series tend to have a pretty big disadvantage, even for something as popular as JoJo. Even Soma beat it last year, and SDC had a similar popular OT and it was well liked enough. I think it will be top 3 though.

39 episodes in one year + high quality adaptation of one of the best JoJo parts + 14,000 posts in the OT + positive impressions in the main anime OT + the growing Western appreciation for JoJo + a lot of people watching JoJo probably don't watch much else makes it hard for me to see it not winning in a popularity contest here. We'll see, it'll be #3 on my list anyway.

Top 3 will probably be a combo of Mob, JoJo and Rakugo and not just saying that because my Top 3 will also be a combo of those.

No way. DIU feels like about a solid a lock for No. 1 in the AOTY thread as DOOM is for the GB GOTY.

I feel like MPR has already covered this, but DIU crosses the gap between 'mainstream' and 'hardcore' anime fan and this season has pleased both camps greatly. This is basically a first for any JoJo's series and therefore I feel its combined appeal will propel it to the top.

The only knock against it will be the rough patch in the middle, but that just means it might not rank right at the top of some people's lists, but I feel it will appear fairly high on most lists. Compare this to something like Rakugo or Mob Psycho, shows which will surely be ranked at the top of a smaller number of people's lists only.

I very much fear the AOTY isn't going to be Rakugo, or Mob Psycho, or Jojo, but Re:Zero.

Taruranto

Plowed through this show in two days. It was really good. I don't think this post has any major spoilers, so I did not use spoiler tags - if anyone disagrees please let me know and I'll make the change.

The positives:
-Awesome cast of characters. Diverse, with a great variation in personalities. Yuri and Victor (and Yurio) all have great chemistry together, and are the driving force in the show.

-The skating: impressive animation, very fun to watch.

-Awesome ED, so catchy

-The development between Yuri and Victor was done very well - I mentioned above that they have great chemistry, but you do really see their relationship blossom over the course of the season. And having a gay relationship in a mainstream anime, done well, is a wonderful thing.

The negatives
-The skating is repetitive: Because each contestant only has two, maybe three sequences, and we see them each multiple times, it does get a bit repetitive. They're fun to watch though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

-Side characters could have used more development. They're a fun cast, but the show doesn't do a full job in making me care about them, like they did with Yuri, Yurio and Victor

-Opening song is garbage

The fujoshi/gay bait and the portrayal of Yuri and Victor's romance
So, this ends up being a positive, and a negative for me. I should note, this is written from the perspective of a gay man.

I like the gay bait. Its fun. It was not at all subtle, but it was consistently hilarious. And I liked that the show was being pretty heavy handed with the relationship.

But the problem is, the show seemed more concerned with teasing rather than committing, and that seems like a cop-out. They had a real opportunity to make waves here, and they took the easy way out. The result is that all that bait ends up feeling a bit cheap, rather than legitimate. It feels like they really were just pandering to the fujoshi, rather than trying to be bold and courageous in their portrayal of two LGBT characters from two countries that aren't really all that LGBT friendly. That's disappointing.

Not only that, but sometimes it felt like Victor was using the flirting more as encouragement for Yuri, in combination with his own general flamboyance and eccentric personality, and wasn't truly into Yuri at all in that way.

So, I am conflicted. Yuri on Ice is a pretty gay show, and thats one of the things I liked about it. But it failed to commit to it, and that left me disappointed.

Even so, it seems like we'll be getting a second season. Considering how much I enjoyed this one, I'm eager to see where they go.

I still have to understand where the "bait" was in Yuri on Ice.

I think the only people who got baited were the ones who expected the main character to get a girlfriend.

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 5
Of course, if you have a nice dad in anime, they die, to be replaced by shitty anime dad anyways.

Kidding aside, I quiet liked it. The show, as always, is over narrated considering there is the visual aspect it can play around with, but it did excel in creating atmosphere, whether it be of calm nostalgia when it was about his dad, somber and lonely after being adopted, and a bit of terror when it was about Kyoko. The episode also did a good job at motivating Rei's independent nature.

Limit

So what were the must watch shows of 2016? This week I went through Mob psycho, berserk, and hero academia. Mob was excellent, berserk was good, and hero was ok. JoJo is on my list. What else am I missing that is quality stuff? I like anything other than slice of life. Solid storytelling is my jam.

ibyea

Banned
So what were the must watch shows of 2016? This week I went through Mob psycho, berserk, and hero academia. Mob was excellent, berserk was good, and hero was ok. JoJo is on my list. What else am I missing that is quality stuff? I like anything other than slice of life. Solid storytelling is my jam.

Rakugo

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Rakugo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I feel like anime/manga either goes all in with the yaoi by showing gay relationships in a bubble, or just leave everything to subtext so that fans can fill it in with doujinshi. lol

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...n-2016/.110442

I'm happy to see MHA in the top 20! well deserved!
Idols rule Japan.

And I guess Osomatsu-kun is one of those huge nostalgia plays that hit big? Like... I dunno, if they made a new Flintstones cartoon and aired it in prime time or something.

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 6
Basically, oh you made it in to the pros, no pressure dude.

I liked the episode overall, but it does remind me that the comedy is obnoxiously unfunny at times, even if their timing doesn't introduce a mood whiplash most of the time. And man, that drawn out swimming metaphor was kind of pretentious.

And I guess Osomatsu-kun is one of those huge nostalgia plays that hit big? Like... I dunno, if they made a new Flintstones cartoon and aired it in prime time or something.

No, I think the popularity of Osomatsu has very little to do with nostalgia for the original Osomatsu-kun manga or anime and a lot to do with female audience affection for the characters' reimagining in Osomatsu-san.

Rakugo.

jonjonaug

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Yuri on Ice, and Space Patrol Luluco. Doukyuusei was good too if you're up for watching a movie.

Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't technically anime but might as well point you in that direction too.

duckroll

Re:CREATORS(2017 spring) PV
http://recreators.tv/
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56ourt
So this time, all of them are from isekai lol.

Ryuichi Makino (Wandering Son) is the character designer and chief animation director. Jun Nakai (Tokyo Majin, Gate) is the other chief animation director.

Makoto Kato (Aldnoah Zero) is the assistant director. Masako Matsumoto (Aldnoah Zero) and Aoi Yamamoto (Fairy Tail) are the main animators.

I-IV is the mecha designer, Takashi Hashimoto is the effect animator, Sawano Shitfucker is the composer.

Looks like it's Ei Aoki All Stars featuring a chunk of Aldnoah staff. :)

jonjonaug

Ryuichi Makino (Wandering Son) is the character designer and chief animation director. Jun Nakai (Tokyo Majin, Gate) is the other chief animation director.

Makoto Kato (Aldnoah Zero) is the assistant director. Masako Matsumoto (Aldnoah Zero) and Aoi Yamamoto (Fairy Tail) are the main animators.

I-IV is the mecha designer, Takashi Hashimoto is the effect animator, Sawano Shitfucker is the composer.

Looks like it's Ei Aoki All Stars featuring a chunk of Aldnoah staff. :)

Has anyone been listed for scripts other than Hiroe?

EDIT: Actually looking at the page, who's that being credited with Series Composition besides Hiroe?

EDIT 2: Never mind I am bad. So Aoki and Hiroe as Series Composition...meaning that's probably a placeholder.

Re:CREATORS(2017 spring) PV
http://recreators.tv/
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56ourt
So this time, all of them are from isekai lol.

Visually this looks abysmal, and I can't expect the narrative will be any better. Alas, Ei Aoki hasn't been able to make anything good since Wandering Son and Fate/Zero.

Has anyone been listed for scripts other than Hiroe?

EDIT: Actually looking at the page, who's that being credited with Series Composition besides Hiroe?

That would be Aoki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom