• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
More good news.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...ric-family-2-anime-premieres-in-april/.110443

P.A. Works announced at Comiket 91 on Thursday that its Uchōten Kazoku 2 (The Eccentric Family 2) sequel anime will premiere on April 9 on Tokyo MX, KBS Kyoto, and other channels.

The anime is P.A. Works' first sequel series. Along with Sakura Quest, it will be one of two P.A. Works anime premiering in April.

The first season's main staff members are returning for the sequel. Masayuki Yoshihara is directing the series at P.A. Works, Kōji Kumeta (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, Kakushigoto) is designing the characters, and Lantis is handling the music production. Additionally, Kousuke Kawazura is adapting Kumeta's designs for animation and is serving as animation director, and Yusuke Takeda and Harumi Okamoto are serving as art directors.

The first season's main cast are also returning, including:

Takahiro Sakurai as Yasaburo Shimogamo, the third son of the family
Junichi Suwabe as Yoichiro Shimogamo, the eldest son of the family
Hiroyuki Yoshino as Yajiro Shimogamo, the second son of the family
Mai Nakahara as Yajiro Shimogamo, the youngest son of the family
Mamiko Noto as Benten, the bewitchingly beautiful woman

Durante

You don't have to be worried about it. It's just that if those are your preferred kinds of anime and you're not interested in anime such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Mob Psycho 100, you're probably going to find few people here able to give you recommendations you will enjoy.
Well, few is enough, given that some people already pointed out a few shows I had missed which look interesting. It's not like I need or expect dozens of perfect suggestions -- I'm just trying to improve my odds of not missing anything I might enjoy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait… so after all the "Yuri"phonium jokes, people (not here) are upset that Kumiko and Shuichi didn't get together? Shuichi had less time than that capsule toy tuba, he wasn't going to have any development beyond 'friend who lives in the same block of flats'.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Kumiko and Shuuichi actually had good development together, and clear chemistry.

I mean, their conversations were generally pretty monosyllabic, but a lot of that was just because they were on the same wavelength all along.

Pretty sure I'm giving 91 Days the win - it was just so consistently good.

But the rest of the list is a toss up. This was a great year.

Mob Psycho 100
Yuri on Ice
Kiznaiver
Erased
Haikyuu!!!
Re:Zero
Shokogeki

Still have a few more shows to watch, but I loved all of the above.

91 days grew on me with a rewatch in the dub. Seemed like it got really really good once the Corteo involvement started to happen.

Thud

Well, few is enough, given that some people already pointed out a few shows I had missed which look interesting. It's not like I need or expect dozens of perfect suggestions -- I'm just trying to improve my odds of not missing anything I might enjoy.

I'll just say Saiki K.

It annoyed me how Kumiko's friends acted like there was some obvious romance going on between Kumiko and Shuichi when the poor guy didn't really share a single romantic moment with Kumiko and I'm not even sure if they had a scene together where anyone else even observed the two.

So when the other characters are occasionally all "yo Kumiko, you and Shuichi *wink wink nudge nudge*" it doesn't make any sense. And, no, it happening off-screen would be a terrible excuse. edit: Maybe even an invalid excuse considering that her behavior towards Shuichi never significantly changes, so nothing of note could've happened off-screen.

Clov

Well I liked him well enough in season 1.

And then in season 2 he's just kinda there. No, actually he's not even there.

I cared about him in the first season, but he was reduced to a joke character in the second season.

He definitely had more of a presence in the first season. Despite that, I can't say that I cared for him all that much even then; I guess I was just more interested in some of the other characters in the season.

DiGiKerot

Wait… so after all the "Yuri"phonium jokes, people (not here) are upset that Kumiko and Shuichi didn't get together? Shuichi had less time than that capsule toy tuba, he wasn't going to have any development beyond 'friend who lives in the same block of flats'.

Kinda. It's this odd swirling mixture of people who weirdly insist on everything being tied up with a pretty little Het bow, and purists complaining that it's not how the novels pan out despite the insistence of everyone who's actually read the novels that the short story in question is really tonally dissonant with the rest of the work (and ignoring the fact that KyoAni have been making changes to pretty much everything they've been adapting for an age now). Mix that in with a few people who feel that they've been lied to, and, well... it's all kind of dumb, honestly, and I say that as someone who in no particular way identifies as a Yuri fan.

Flip Flappers Finale

I genuinely felt something when Over The Rainbow played in the end. I knew it was happening and I didn't like the ending, but man, I felt a mix of glee, excitement and sadness as the series draws to its conclusion.

Overall ,a bit of a rough landing, but still, a really good episode that left me really sad near the end as we're no longer getting any more episodes. I'm really gonna miss this show, its characters and definitely the feel-good adventure tone of the show. I'm especially gonna miss Papika, I don't think I've seen a character this likable in an anime.

If there're any missteps, it's definitely with the pacing. I would've preferred it if it was 2-cour, with more PI exploration and more depth to character backstories. Still, it's my AOTY (I didn't watch many shows this year though, this is still better than Izetta at the very least).

Looking forward to more shows by the same team!

Qurupeke

Flip Flappers [END]

More like Flip Floppers. This episode was another reminder of what the series could be and how bizarre it could turn.

Overall, certainly mixed feelings and I think I was one of the people that were positive even after episode 8. At least the animation was top stuff till the end. Episode 6 will remain the greatest and probably one of my favourite episodes in an anime this year.

For me there were just 2 stand-out shows in 2016:
Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?

Hmm I'd recommend:

Mob Psycho 100
Re:Zero
Konosuba
91 Days
Kiznaiver

You've got a pretty wide range of offerings here. I don't know what kind of shows you like but at the very least one of these should flip a switch for you.

Guess it's a good thing I never watched past the first episode of Flip Flappers? It seemed promising at the start, but I guess there's no need to watch any more given how it turned out.

phaze

What do the jokes have to do with anything ? Different people want different things out of their shows. Quelle surprise.

Also in the last stages, with the sister subplot and the gift it seemed like it might go somewhere. It's maybe the only plot thread that didn't.

Planned on tomorrow morning, but it's already done, so anytime really.

Last year it ran 12/29 through 1/31, so maybe I'll just post it today to keep tradition, lol.

Please spell it out for me clearly in the OP whether I can or can not vote for Thundebolt Fantasy.

TimmiT

Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?

Mob Psycho 100 is probably the best anime this year. Great characters, a satisfying conclusion for a first season (hoping there will be a second), and it has some of the best animation you'll see in any anime this year.

gargles

Flip Flappers - 13 END

... no, I'll have to rewatch this. Loved the animation, liked some references (one of them related to Penguindrum, in this episode) and was impressed with some episodes (Episode 6 was indeed amazing). But other than that, I have no idea what to say about Flip Flappers. I might have finished watching an anime and got overwhelmed by what I had just seen. But I knew I had seen something great, memorable. This? Not at all. I just... nope, don't know if this was great or just fine.

Papika and Yayaka were fine, though.

blurr

I'm a bit mixed about MP100 but it's more on grounds of its narrative style and characters than its visual finesse. Its story telling didn't exactly work out for me.

phaze

Wasn't it determined that anything within "the spirit of anime" will be acceptable this year? : )

Must have missed it if so. Cheers.

Flip Flappers 13 END
0237971zki3.jpg

Incomprehesible impressions for Incomprehensible show:

• Edgy Adventures of Mayaka when.
  • Episodic Garbage < Plot Garbage At least in the latter things happened and the density of "Cocona ! Cocona ! Cocona !" was reduced.
  • What the hell was the point of NyuNyu character. Why did she even Flip Flopped the sides of the conflict ?
  • lol at the villain being the bad side of Mimi. That just took over and never let go
  • DId I miss something ? How did Papika&Cocona get out from wherever the hell they were in the flashback ?
  • lol at the Ku Klux Klan
  • This was pretty tame animation wise, expected more.

Pretty much all my fears I had about this show beforehand came true and then some more. The quintessential "watch it on sakugabooru" show.

On to Orange ...

Cornbread78

The "spirit of anime" would be "animated, and made in Japan", so that's pretty clear to me.

Hold that stance of yours Corny, or else it will never be decided.

I can't even go through this again, everybody won't be happy regardless what is done...

No, Thunderbolt Fantasy is NOT anime at all and it does not appear on the MAL listing as "anime" either, but Ducky felt it would be within the spirit of animeGAF to allow it.

6zwczfO.gif

Everything is eligible this year, vote for your favorite Korean live action drama for all I give a fu(k....

My personal feelings aside, as of right now, it's in....

I guess I don't see what the point of this thread is, then?

There's already a "Best TV show" vote going on.

What's the point in having a separate "Anime of the Year" vote if all TV shows now count as anime?

sonicmj1

Wasn't it determined that anything within "the spirit of anime" will be acceptable this year? : )

I thought even duckroll made it clear that there is no definition of anime under which Thunderbolt Fantasy would fit.

Actually, if I were to be completely honest, Thunderbolt Fantasy does not fall within any reasonable definition of animation. The reason is that it is not a stop motion production. Animation as a process, regardless of the type of animation, is defined by the frame-step nature of the production. There has to be frames of animation for it to be an animation. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a video recording, and falls under live action. It just isn't recording people.

Anything contradicting that was joking. Like, I love Shin Godzilla as much as anyone but it's not an anime movie.

Leaving it in or creating some special spot for it somewhere (the Thunderbolt Fantasy Memorial Award for Best Non-Anime Anime) would overcomplicate things. Just exclude it. Some things are too innovative to be recognized in their time.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?
Mob Psycho 100
Jojo Diamond is unbreakable
Bernard Jou Iwaku
Kiznaiver

For something really different:
Keijo!!!! (This one is actually a very divisive show, but hey, since you play Neptunia, i think you might like the joke in this show)

Cornbread78

I guess I don't see what the point of this thread is, then?

There's already a "Best TV show" vote going on.

What's the point in having a separate "Anime of the Year" vote if all TV shows now count as anime?

I thought even duckroll made it clear that there is no definition of anime under which Thunderbolt Fantasy would fit.

Anything contradicting that was joking. Like, I love Shin Godzilla as much as anyone but it's not an anime movie.

Leaving it in or creating some special spot for it somewhere (the Thunderbolt Fantasy Memorial Award for Best Non-Anime Anime) would overcomplicate things. Just exclude it. Some things are too innovative to be recognized in their time.

It's 12am in Singapore. Is Ducky still online?

This is not a surprise coming from you, but I still instinctively cringe at seeing this prioritization of serious plot over episodic adventures.

I think most of us have to go through this phase before we get older and start to appreciate episodic stuff more.

There was definitely a time in my life where I wanted nothing to do with any "silly, episodic filler shows" and was only interested in "serious, proper serialized stories".

This is not a surprise coming from you, but I still instinctively cringe at seeing this prioritization of serious plot over episodic adventures.
I'll be honest I've yet to really enjoy an episodic anime, that wasn't Bebop and how long ago did that even come out.

The idea that you are getting different stories that don't really build up an overarching plot is fine on its own, but I have a harder time attaching myself to characters when everything they do every week does not matter in the greater scope of things. I like to see consequences, build ups for choices made by these characters.

Qurupeke

Are the TV series and films having separate lists? I feel that last year was kind of pointless. They're generally getting monopolized, though I suppose this year there are quite a few interesting films. Still, I'm not sure how many people have watched them as there are no BDs for a lot of them yet.

Also, is Kizu getting two entries?
Is Space Patrol Luluco getting five entries? :)

sonicmj1

It's 12am in Singapore. Is Ducky still online?

Are you really going to take stuff like this seriously? Come on.

These are the real questions we should be worrying about!

Are the TV series and films having separate lists? I feel that last year was kind of pointless. They're generally getting monopolized, though I suppose this year there are quite a few interesting films. Still, I'm not sure how many people have watched them as there are no BDs for a lot of them yet.

It seems to be that the Welcome to the ballroom adaptation will be by Production I.G

For those that know these names

Director: Yoshimi Itazu
Series composition:Kenichi Suemitsu
Character design: Takahiro Ishida
Music: Yuki Hayashi
yHZRgSl.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Movie should be in a separated category from tv shows.

Ascheroth

I'll be honest I've yet to really enjoy an episodic anime, that wasn't Bebop and how long ago did that even come out.

The idea that you are getting different stories that don't really build up an overarching plot is fine on its own, but I have a harder time attaching myself to characters when everything they do every week does not matter in the greater scope of things. I like to see consequences, build ups for choices made by these characters.
You should watch Mushishi.

phaze

What can I say, it comes only from my experience. There's a number of episodic shows I liked, Mushishi, Trapeze and ... uh ... Soultaker ? But the vast majority of content like that fails to tell an effective story within 20 minutes, falls into repetitiveness or flattens its characters to fit that format.

The separate entries worked well in the past years IMO. The movies will get drowned out if left in the same pot as TV.

Cornbread78

Are you really going to take stuff like this seriously? Come on.

These are the real questions we should be worrying about!

Yes, there will be two separate lists this year as it has been for the past several years. I did not change anything in that regard and mostly kept everything EXACTLY like last years thread.

The only thing outstanding is on Thunderbolt....

They matter within the confines of each story, whether it's a goofy comedy with minimal continuity such as Urusai Yatsura or a collection of serious short stories such as Mushishi. I can understand wanting stories with bigger scope, and that's fine, but I do think dismissing smaller scope stories as meaningless entails missing out on excellence.

What can I say, it comes only from my experience. There's a number of episodic shows I liked, Mushishi, Trapeze and ... uh ... Soultaker ? But the vast majority of content like that fails to tell an effective story within 20 minutes, falls into repetitiveness or flattens its characters to fit that format.

There are certainly poor episodic TV shows that fail to execute successful storytelling, but from my experience I wouldn't consider those to be the vast majority. In fact, if we consider anime, it's far more common to be unsuccessful at executing an overarching narrative than to be unsuccessful at executing an episodic narrative. Anime needs less plot in general, not more.

Which isn't to say I inherently dislike strongly serialized narratives. They can be very successful when done right. But when done wrong it often feels like the interesting aspects of the narrative have been jettisoned in favor of hollow and weightless "big climaxes".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 13:

This ended about as well as it could have given the utter mess the series has devovled into following the pursuit of a more traditional narrative and we at least had a return to the visually interesting. Also, we get a reiteration of the love confession by both characters so it also ahead of Yuri on Ice in my books.

It seems to be that the Welcome to the ballroom adaptation will be by Production I.G

Character design: Takahiro Ishida
yHZRgSl.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Movie should be in a separated category from tv shows.

Production IG, nice, it was one of my top 2-3 picks for the series. Maybe it will be their next Haiykuu.

Character design: Takahiro Kishida

That's some really strong staff, particularly with Itazu (Pigtails, Miss Hokusai character designer) at the helm. Hopefully the production is well scheduled, since having the dancing be well animated will go a long way towards selling the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom