• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Has anyone been listed for scripts other than Hiroe?

EDIT: Actually looking at the page, who's that being credited with Series Composition besides Hiroe?

Aoki and Hiroe are writing it together it seems. A true collaboration.

The art design/direction team are a mix of Tokyo Majin's art director and art setting designer, Bubuka Bebeki's art guys, and an Aldnoah dude. Should look garish as hell. :)

jonjonaug

Aoki and Hiroe are writing it together it seems. A true collaboration.

The art design/direction team are a mix of Tokyo Majin's art director and art setting designer, Bubuka Bebeki's art guys, and an Aldnoah dude. Should look garish as hell. :)

OK cool. hopefully this turns out better than Aldnoah did. I'm just gonna go to bed before I fail at reading comprehension some more.

duckroll

Visually this looks abysmal, and I can't expect the narrative will be any better. Alas, Ei Aoki hasn't been able to make anything good since Wandering Son and Fate/Zero.

I expect this show to have everything bad about GaRei 0, Fate/Zero, and Aldnoah Zero rolled into one. I'm just shocked it isn't called Re:Creators Zero.

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 7
Rei's conversation with Takahashi was great and it is the best part of the episode. The rest was meh, although Nikaido's appearance on that tape did manage to give me a laugh for once.

Hey duckroll, new Fafner is happening.
http://www.weibo.com/2507017910/Eon...7910_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

Just announced from today's event.
t2BzWHP.jpg

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 8
Ugh, the most obnoxious aspects of the show came back in full force for the first half of the episode. There are all these annoying people who just wants to violate personal spaces.

As for the second half, it's okay. Mainly it is the viewer's first introduction to Kyoko, who is a creepy person. Her character sort of jumps between being cheesily over the top, and genuinely creepy and manipulative, so I don't think she is a good character so far. That said, I did find the last moment where she verbally twists a knife on Rei's feelings to be effective.

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 9
My god, this is the show at its most obnoxious worst. I wish the old man would have just died after tripping at the staircase so that I didn't have to watch his stupid antics. There was a good part towards the end, but it wasn't worth it.

Cornbread78

So what were the must watch shows of 2016? This week I went through Mob psycho, berserk, and hero academia. Mob was excellent, berserk was good, and hero was ok. JoJo is on my list. What else am I missing that is quality stuff? I like anything other than slice of life. Solid storytelling is my jam.

Erased
Kokosuba
Re;Zero

ibyea

Banned
March Comes In Like a Lion: 10
This was a great episode with great character development for Rei. The rant at the end shouting that things are not his fault was the standout moment of the episode.

Cornbread78

March Comes In Like a Lion: 10
This was a great episode with great character development for Rei. The rant at the end shouting that things are not his fault was the standout moment of the episode.

absolutely loved that scene. Felt real and heartfelt..

Ascheroth

Looking through the shows I watched throughout the years, here's what I'd consider putting on my AOTY list.

Winter
Konosuba
Haikyuu

Spring
JoJo
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro
Re:Zero
Space Patrol Luluco

Summer
Mob Psycho
Thunderbolt Fantasy

Fall
Haikyuu (though I'll only vote for it once)
To Be Hero
maybe Girlish Number after I finish it

Rakugo will be in there if I'll finish it before the voting ends.

Cornbread78

Honobono Log ep.1-5
WgczC4q.jpg

I have to say that often the most simplistic things can be really well done. These 2 min shorts are simple, yet are able to convey they message they set out to. Each one is completely separate, but they are very cute. Like animated Hallmark cards really...

Busaiku

I hope UFOTable's sword boys doesn't forget about the Awataguchi.
But given that it seems to be more serious, they'll probably be casualties.

jgminto

Flip Flappers 13
I didn't care about any of that. Maybe if all of the story nonsense over the last few episodes wasn't so bad, I could have appreciated this episode for the animation but I was actively mad for most of the episode. I'd like to see what the original writer had planned for the show because it sure as hell would have been better than this garbage, I have to assume the third child did something of importance in the original draft, because here she only existed as a cutaway from the events that were meant to be important just like the rest of Salt's team. Congratulations on crashing and burning more than any other show this year, Flip Flappers.

Kansoku

Honobono Log ep.1-5
WgczC4q.jpg

I have to say that often the most simplistic things can be really well done. These 2 min shorts are simple, yet are able to convey they message they set out to. Each one is completely separate, but they are very cute. Like animated Hallmark cards really...

Hey, someone else watched this! It is pretty good, who knew a short romance anime could work so well.

For me there were just 2 stand-out shows in 2016:
Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?
Give My Hero Academia a try it's fantastic
and the best anime of the year!

Also worth checking out

Haikyu
Tales of Zestiria the X
Occultic Nine
Poco's Udon World
Mob

Don't give too much attention to people hating things you like here or you won't come out alive.

Exalted

I see that we have different tastes. Don't worry about it!
Most people consider those 2 shows a disappointment, they started good , but went bad in the later parts.

As for your previous question, here are some shows i think have stood out this year :

Winter
Konosuba
Haikyuu
Rakugo
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Spring
JoJo
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro
My Hero Academia
Flying Witch

Summer
Mob Psycho
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Alderamin

Ascheroth

Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?

I consider everything in my list a few posts up worth checking out, here's some more info to them:

Mob Psycho 100: might have the best animation out of any TV anime this year and has good action, comedy, lots of character development and a satisfying conclusion (though there is an obvious season 2 hook at the end)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Diamond is Unbreakable (you'd need to watch the 2012 anime and Stardust Crusaders before.
Haikyuu S2 and S3 - really good volleyball anime that never steps into unrealistic/fantasy ability territory, with great characters + development and a kick-ass soundtrack.
Thunderbolt Fantasy: wuxia puppets are awesome
Kiznaiver: character drama with supernatural elements.
Kuromukuro: one of the best recent mecha shows.

DiGiKerot

Most people consider those 2 shows a disappointment, they started good , but went bad in the later parts.

Most people here, you mean - don't confuse opinion on 'gaf for opinion writ-large. There's probably not a ton of argument about the back-half of Erased, but Flip Flappers has been incredibly divisive - outside of here, I probably know more people who are overwhelming positive about it than negative. Who is right and wrong about it is entirely up to debate, but what you get out of that show seems to be entirely down to what you expected to get out of it.

Durante

Give My Hero Academia a try it's fantastic
and the best anime of the year!

Also worth checking out

Haikyu
Tales of Zestiria the X
Occultic Nine
Poco's Udon World
Mob
Thanks! Some of those seem a bit too shounen for me, but Poco's Udon World and Occultic Nine look interesting and I hadn't considered them before.

If you think Erased and Flip Flappers are the 2 stand out shows of 2016, you have distinctly different tastes than most of AnimeGAF, as most of the people in this community turned on both shows midway through their airing.
Well, that certainly wouldn't be the first time, and I'm not too worried about it.

I mean, I can agree that both of these didn't end as strongly as they began, but if they did they would be in the running for my best of all time selection (which is quite competitive, given that I've been watching anime since 1998), not just my best of this year ;)

Well, that certainly wouldn't be the first time, and I'm not too worried about it.

I mean, I can agree that both of these didn't end as strongly as they began, but if they did they would be in the running for my best of all time selection (which is quite competitive, given that I've been watching anime since 1998), not just my best of this year ;)

You don't have to be worried about it. It's just that if those are your preferred kinds of anime and you're not interested in anime such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Mob Psycho 100, you're probably going to find few people here able to give you recommendations you will enjoy.

Tuck

Pretty sure I'm giving 91 Days the win - it was just so consistently good.

But the rest of the list is a toss up. This was a great year.

Mob Psycho 100
Yuri on Ice
Kiznaiver
Erased
Haikyuu!!!
Shokogeki

Still have a few more shows to watch, but I loved all of the above.

Cornbread78

Erased
FLIP FLAPPERS

Did I miss anything?

Don't worry, I got your back. Erased was my favorite this year. Don't let them force feed you that boring rag show.

Check out Konosuba, Mob Psycho 100 and Re;Zero as well

You don't have to be worried about it. It's just that if those are your preferred kinds of anime and you're not interested in anime such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Mob Psycho 100, you're probably going to find few people here able to give you recommendations you will enjoy.

Ok this just gave me a good laugh.

John Blade

Man...Yao is clueless of people want to kill her and yet when she know, she use it as a way to win something even if it might kill her. Also, not very smart that the person she admired is the same person who want to kill her. Still like the fun wacky stuff in this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom