• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be that the Welcome to the ballroom adaptation will be by Production I.G

For those that know these names

Director: Yoshimi Itazu
Series composition:Kenichi Suemitsu
Character design: Takahiro Ishida
Music: Yuki Hayashi
yHZRgSl.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Movie should be in a separated category from tv shows.

Director hasn't directed anything except a 30 minute movie (haven't seen it so can't comment), and has mostly just done Key Animation work. As for the series composition I can't find anything solid on this guy, I'm going to assume he's the Kenichi Suemitsu who did the stage plays for K, Tōken Ranbu and Isobe Isobee Monogatari adaptations. Not particularly reassuring.

Director hasn't directed anything except a 30 minute movie (haven't seen it so can't comment), and has mostly just done Key Animation work. As for the series composition I can't find anything solid on this guy, I'm going to assume he's the Kenichi Suemitsu who did the stage plays for K, Tōken Ranbu and Isobe Isobee Monogatari adaptations. Not particularly reassuring.

Apart form key animation, he also has been the 'Animation Director' (which I suppose it's something in between key animator and director in responsibility??) from Dennou Coil, Miss Hokusai and Xam'd: Lost Memories.

Well the character designer and composer are both from Haikyuu so make of that as you will.

The overall character design in the manga is slightly reminiscing of Haikyuu. And I mean Haikyuu the anime, it looks like more like that than Haikyuu the manga. So yeah. And it's another sports shonen, in a way.

Jarmel

Banned
Apart form key animation, he also has been the 'Animation Director' (which I suppose it's something in between key animator and director in responsibility??) from Dennou Coil, Miss Hokusai and Xam'd: Lost Memories.

Honestly that doesn't mean much. For starters just because you're a good animator doesn't inherently make you a good director (you can look at Flip Flappers today for evidence of that) and vice-versa. Also he didn't do jack for Xam'd as being AD for one episode, wasn't even the best looking episode, isn't a big deal.

Yoshimi Itazu was the character designer for Satoshi Kon's ill-fated Dreaming Machine, and initially took over as director for the film after Kon's death before the project fell through. Since then he was character designer and chief animation director (which means the person in charge of correcting all drawings to ensure their quality) for Keiichi Hara's film Miss Hokusai and directed Pigtails, which has received good reception from the people I know who saw it at Scotland Loves Animation. You can see a trailer for Pigtails here. He's a very talented guy.

duckroll

Wow. Itazu directing Ballroom at Production IG with Kishida designs. That is something to be -very- excited about.

I thought even duckroll made it clear that there is no definition of anime under which Thunderbolt Fantasy would fit.

Anything contradicting that was joking. Like, I love Shin Godzilla as much as anyone but it's not an anime movie.

Leaving it in or creating some special spot for it somewhere (the Thunderbolt Fantasy Memorial Award for Best Non-Anime Anime) would overcomplicate things. Just exclude it. Some things are too innovative to be recognized in their time.

What are you talking about? I thought we agreed in the the meeting of the shadow council that Thunderbolt Fantasy would win for series and Shin Godzilla would win for movie. Why are you betraying us now?!

Honestly that doesn't mean much. For starters just because you're a good animator doesn't inherently make you a good director (you can look at Flip Flappers today for evidence of that) and vice-versa. Also he didn't do jack for Xam'd as being AD for one episode, wasn't even the best looking episode, isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I know. It's still going to be his first time directing a series all by himself. Obviously I would have preferred someone veteran and with a pair of good animes already directed.

Well, he seems talented and he chose a good manga adaption project to make his debut in series.

Official site is up. PV will be uploaded on the 6th.

Unconfirmed PV spoilers I'm seeing floating around:
  • New!Soushi has same voice actor as old Soushi
  • Miwa is the narrator, but also a pilot
  • Siegfried System is handled by middle-aged Kenji
  • Pilots Shown - Maya, Koyo, Kurusu, and Third-Generation crew
  • "Fifth Azure Sky Operation" announced, goal is to take back "Soushi" (not sure old or new)
  • New!Soushi looks like a teen (like season 1 pilots)

Eridani

I don't know why you guys are complicating this Thunderbolt Fantasy for AOTY thing so much. I mean, from a more casual perspective things that should at the very least count for AOTY would be shows that:

- Appear on MAL
- Appear on Crunchyroll under the anime tab
- Don't know how Funimation splits their shows so I can't comment on the specifics there
- Appear on ANN (listed as anime)
- Are otherwise clearly anime

That's where most people get their anime from. Since Thunderbolt appears on both Crunchyroll and several ANN AOTY lists, it seems rather confusing to exclude it. Excluding it will just result in confused people saying things like "but it's on Crunchy/ANN, why can't I vote for it?".

This also gets read of the "but if you can vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy you might as well just allow everything" problem.

What can I say, it comes only from my experience. There's a number of episodic shows I liked, Mushishi, Trapeze and ... uh ... Soultaker ? But the vast majority of content like that fails to tell an effective story within 20 minutes, falls into repetitiveness or flattens its characters to fit that format.

I'm with you on this. Mushishi is the one episodic show that I ended up loving and even actively appreciated for its episodic nature.

The devil lies in the detail. I take one thorough, well developed story over 10 decent ones that I've already seen a dozen times in a similar fashion.

This is actually something I need to watch yes. There is quite a bit of episodes to get through though, so I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. I still need to get through Gurren Lagann before nintendoman chops my head off.

Who said anything about chopping heads off?!? You certainly wouldn't be able to watch it if I did that, would you? :p

Cornbread78

What are you talking about? I thought we agreed in the the meeting of the shadow council that Thunderbolt Fantasy would win for series and Shin Godzilla would win for movie. Why are you betraying us now?!

Hey Ducky, I know you hate me and want to ban me, but can you read my PM and respond please... Help me Duckroll, your my only hope!

I can't discern sarcasm from fact all the time, lol.

Clov

This is actually something I need to watch yes. There is quite a bit of episodes to get through though, so I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. I still need to get through Gurren Lagann before nintendoman chops my head off.

Both seasons of Mushishi are excellent examples of episodic anime; I'd also highly recommend Kino's Journey, Mononoke, Trapeze and The Tatami Galaxy. Episodic anime is by no means weaker than other kinds of storytelling in the medium.

I don't know why you guys are complicating this Thunderbolt Fantasy for AOTY thing so much. I mean, from a more casual perspective things that should at the very least count for AOTY would be shows that:

- Appear on MAL
- Appear on Crunchyroll under the anime tab
- Don't know how Funimation splits their shows so I can't comment on the specifics there
- Appear on ANN (listed as anime)
- Are otherwise clearly anime

That's where most people get their anime from. Since Thunderbolt appears on both Crunchyroll and several ANN AOTY lists, it seems rather confusing to exclude it. Excluding it will just result in confused people saying things like "but it's on Crunchy/ANN, why can't I vote for it?".

This also gets read of the "but if you can vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy you might as well just allow everything" problem.

I don't see why you're making this so complicated.

Something is anime if it is animated, and produced in Japan.

You don't need to actually explain to people voting why Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't anime, because they can clearly tell that it isn't animated. There's no need to bring in websites and stuff like that.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium S2 [END]
I loved the ending. A bit heavy on the flashbacks, but it was really effective and it got me all teary-eyed. So good to see how much the students have experienced and how much they changed. It seems the series can take a S3, which honestly I really want as I already miss the show! I really loved the cast and characters like Natsuki and Yuuko have definitely become some of my favourites. And I'll miss Kumiko!

Quite a few people here disliked S2, and really the writing was inexcusable at times, but it's still, the AOTS for me and I had mostly a great time with Eupho 2. Shows like Euphonium and Hyouka are so rare in anime. There's an amazing attention to the smallest of the details that I really appreciate. And they look absolutely gorgeous.

I can't wait for Thoraxes' last post!

Clov

I also don't think Thunderbolt Fantasy should be eligible; it's not like Kihachiro Kawamoto's stop motion works that use puppets, it's literally not animated. As good as I'm sure it is (I still need to watch it), it's not an anime.

mdubs

Banned
It seems to be that the Welcome to the ballroom adaptation will be by Production I.G

For those that know these names

Director: Yoshimi Itazu
Series composition:Kenichi Suemitsu
Character design: Takahiro Kishida
Music: Yuki Hayashi

I am in tears, this is everything I could have possibly wanted. Such good news with an excellent staff. I can't wait to hear what Hayashi will have in store for this (apparently he actually spent time composing music for dancesport in his earlier days) The OST in Haikyu!! is one of my favourite of all time

Eridani

I don't see why you're making this so complicated.

Something is anime if it is animated, and produced in Japan.

You don't need to actually explain to people voting why Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't anime, because they can clearly tell that it isn't animated. There's no need to bring in websites and stuff like that.

So Crunchyroll and ANN are wrong and you're right? Good luck explaining to people why that's obvious. The reverse however, is incredibly easy.

So Crunchyroll and ANN are wrong and you're right? Good luck explaining to people why that's obvious. The reverse however, is incredibly easy.

You think most people need an explanation of why something that isn't animated isn't "anime"?

Wow, you must have a really low opinion of people.

PK Gaming

Flip Flappers

Man, whatever. Don't even feel like ranting about how this show disappointed me.

I've got Haikyuu, Garou and Eureka 7 to watch anyhow.

Eridani

You think most people need an explanation of why something that isn't animated isn't "anime"?

Wow, you must have a really low opinion of people.

I think most people need an explanation on what's considered anime. Evidently, that's a problem even for this thread (and Crunchyroll, ANN, MAL considering they disagree on this particular case), or else there would be no need to even debate this.

On the subject of Episodic V.S. Plot, I have to say I really don't have a preference for either and can enjoy each of them just the same, depending on how they're used.

I enjoy episodic shows to get to know a cast of characters and their daily lives. An example of this would be GaoGaiGar. For the first twenty or so episodes, it's the same formula. Daily life of talking robots, a monster attacks, Guy takes it down.

The plot in that story, advances in mere increments. Sometimes a new robot will be added to the cast, a secret about the villains will be revealed, slowly building up to a giant climax (and GaoGaiGar is EXCELLENT with its climaxes) before leading into the next episodic story, where the formula repeats until the end of the show.

While story-wise, the climaxes there may be rather simple and straightforward (evil guy gets powerful, Guy fights back), they're effective in which I was able to develop a connection with the cast after watching them for all those episodes. So much so that when shit got real, I felt really invested as I had grown to like all those characters.

For a show that has a plot that constantly going forward, it has to move at a consistent pace. Where Flip Flappers failed, it tried to be a mixture of both episodic and plot in a matter of 13 episodes, which just doesn't work.

Madoka Magica wouldn't be nearly as good a story as it was if it spent 4 episodes of its running time in "Witch of the Week" mode and rushed in everything about Sayaka, Kyouko, and Homura all at once in the last few episodes.

But back to the point, one style of storytelling in this case is not better over the other. It all depends on how it's used, and what choices the director and writer makes.

mdubs

Banned
Girlish Number 12

I continue to smile watching this series. Chitose is absolutely hilarious, and the way they handle her little moment of catharsis felt completely true to character.

KATTA NA GAHAHAHA!

I'm going to miss this show.

I think most people need an explanation on what's considered anime. Evidently, that's a problem even for this thread (and Crunchyroll, ANN, MAL considering they disagree on this particular case), or else there would be no need to even debate this.

Opinions of Crunchyroll, ANN and MAL aren't exactly held in a high regard here (generally speaking). So if they want to label a clearly non-anime as anime that's fine and all but needn't concern us.

It's kind of amusing that we're dealing with the flip side of the Shelter coin, where something is clearly not anime but people are bending over backwards to claim otherwise.

Cornbread78

no need to get chippy at all.. seriously... It is going to be divisive either way and it's been brought up several times with no resolution.

Also, do not carry the conversation/argument into the voting thread.

If there is a change, there is plenty of time to edit the submitted lists since they will not be counted for 30 days

Should it be included: No, it not fu(king "ANIME"
Will it be included: Yes, but that is

no need to get chippy at all.. seriously... It is going to be divisive either way and it's been brought up several times with no resolution.

Also, do not carry the conversation/argument into the voting thread.

If there is a change, there is plenty of time to edit the submitted lists since they will not be counted for 30 days

Should it be included: No, it not fu(king "ANIME"
Will it be included: Yes, but that is with a big "For Now"

Further round table discussions will be had and prepare an alternate entry just in case. There is plenty of time to change/update your "official/final" lists.

Don't do this.

If you're going to post the thread now, have everything in place. Don't make one set of rules and then change them halfway through the voting. It's not fair to anyone, and it would just make the thread even more of a shitshow.

Either limit the vote to only being for anime, or open it up to non-anime things, but do it from the start. Once the thread is posted, nothing about rules or eligibility should change.

phaze

Please, I think you meant

I watch Fuuka by watching weekly meltdowns in the manga thread.

Nope. I was reading the wiki entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onihei_Hankachō

I expect something very 'classic', your typical hard police/detective stories, just in Edo.

Might be a sleeper surprise if they're decent enough. The setting certainly tickles my fancy.I've yet to hit to the Aoi Bungaku story that this Shigeyuki Miya guy did so I've no clue what to expect. Studio tells me nothing.

Why aren't you watching more Fafner? You can only blame yourself.

I'm suffering from Post-Fafner Stress Disorder. Doctor prescribed Captain Earth.

I'm juggling like 4 shows + things I want to finish/try for AOTY. It's probably gonna take a bit.

Might be a sleeper surprise if they're decent enough. The setting certainly tickles my fancy.I've yet to hit to the Aoi Bungaku story that this Shigeyuki Miya guy did so I've no clue what to expect. Studio tells me nothing.

M2 is the latest studio founded by Masao Maruyama after leaving Madhouse and now MAPPA; this is their first production. Miya's Aoi Bungaku story is average and kind of dull, so hopefully Onihei is better.

T-Rex.

Banned
I completely forgot Dimension W was a thing. I guess it'll end up placing somewhere on my list since I refuse to put Dragon Ball Super on it out of spite and I haven't really watched enough to be able to pick and choose from a huge range of shows.

Until GOAThan makes a return.

Official site is up. PV will be uploaded on the 6th.

Unconfirmed PV spoilers I'm seeing floating around:
  • New!Soushi has same voice actor as old Soushi
  • Miwa is the narrator, but also a pilot
  • Siegfried System is handled by middle-aged Kenji
  • Pilots Shown - Maya, Koyo, Kurusu, and Third-Generation crew
  • "Fifth Azure Sky Operation" announced, goal is to take back "Soushi" (not sure old or new)
  • New!Soushi looks like a teen (like season 1 pilots)

Why the 6 day wait :(

Jarmel

Banned
Good lord this isn't a huge deal. Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't going to win anyways. I think it's fine to add Thunderbolt in as the point of this whole stupid popularity contest is to bring awareness to works that we feel would probably be neglected anyway and to help create some generic recommendation list that we can throw on newcomers too idiotic and lazy to do a slight bit of work finding shows that fit their taste. Yes it's not anime but who the fuck cares? What, is our suddenly critically important list invalid because we have a non-anime show in the running? We aren't publishing this to a peer reviewed anime research magazine.

Eridani

Opinions of Crunchyroll, ANN and MAL aren't exactly held in a high regard here (generally speaking). So if they want to label a clearly non-anime as anime that's fine and all but needn't concern us.

Sure, but the whole point of the AOTY thread is that it's aimed at a more general audience. That's why it gets its own thread instead of just being done here, right? If Crunchyroll thinks Thunderbolt Fantasy is something that overlaps enough with anime to put it in the anime category, then they clearly thing the general anime audience would be interested in it. As bad as Crunchyroll is, I don't think anyone could argue that they have some of the best data on what the general English anime audience wants to watch.

And really, isn't the whole point of this thing to recommend interesting shows to people interested in anime? So why not allow edge cases that people clicking on the thread would probably find interesting? "Because then you might as well just allow everything" doesn't really apply here.

I agree that you shouldn't just change rules half way through though. That's just incredibly silly. Didn't mean to make this a big deal though. Don't know why everyone got so serious all of a sudden.

PK Gaming

Wait… so after all the "Yuri"phonium jokes, people (not here) are upset that Kumiko and Shuichi didn't get together? Shuichi had less time than that capsule toy tuba, he wasn't going to have any development beyond 'friend who lives in the same block of flats'.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Well to be clear, the people who were backing Kumiko x Shuichi were either genuinely fond of that pairing (lol) or part of the self-insert crowd.

The bigger issue is how they fucking cratered his entire character in order to push Reina x Kumiko only to back out of it in S2, effectively killing his entire character. It's so obvious they tried to have their cake and eat it too. I mean, I don't mind the fact that they tried to make his relationship with Kumiko more platonic, but they didn't need to completely cut him from the show.

It's so dishonest; it's like KyoAni's winking at me going "here's all this bait, but don't worry we won't upset the yuri crowd by having Kumiko end up with Shuichi."

;)

Flip Flop END

This could have been the new Space Dandy, but it had too much unearned self importance and was needlessly shoe-horned into having an overarching narrative and a story only because thats what is expected of TV anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom