• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I
These are opinions from people I've known from the thread for three years. I watched Gundam 00 S2 + the movie against their warnings and I ended up wasting my time with one of the worst mecha products I've ever seen.

That's some low hanging fruit to go by given its reputation. This might be why you have a problem selling shows to people too since you'll default to certain opinions posed to you.

Copper

AOTS AKA My Wife is the Student Council President+! - 2

Yes we finally get some Misumi action!

1Hy3ka6.jpg
nwajmS7.jpg
6et6eoG.jpg

Gvitor

Izetta 02

Still really good. I liked that Izetta acknowledged that she killed those soldiers while breaking her taboo, and that Finé told her she shouldn't be the only one to get blood in her hands by shooting the rifle (which was very nice, even if it didn't do much).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yuri on ice 1
I'm liking it. The comedic tone is something of a self depreciation by the main character, which is very fitting. Love the choreography.

Extra: i really hope the OP is not final. The first 45 second was amazing.

Keijo!!!!!! 1
I guess the director want to timmediately jump into the craziest part of Keijo, which is a good decision imo.

3 gatsu no lion 1
This is great and brimming with style, espexially the shot at the beginning

Have people I enjoy reading recommendations from sold me on shows and they were great? Sure. The opposite has happened too, in that something was praised and I just totally hated it, or found it boring. Some of the shows I enjoy the most each season are some that people don't really like or care for. In IBOs case, I've yet to see ANYONE on here speaking badly of it. Seems like your opinions of this show come from a select few that created this strange vacuum for you. You are not them, so why not create your own opinion? If I don't like vinegar and someone respects my opinions (fuck, please do yourself a favour if you exist and don't do that), does that mean that they too can't put vinegar on their salads?!

I could create my own opinion on the show, yes. But these people are not saying IBO is bad.

They say it's uninteresting and want more shows in the vein of Gundam Build Fighters and G Gundam (which is what I want as well, as those are two of my favourite shows), which is more or less the exception than the rule when it comes to Sunrise Gundam shows.

They describe IBO in a way that checks in completely with how Sunrise creates their shows. Whenever things go badly for Sunrise, they hop right back into the UC barrel and churn-out yet another straight-up warfare Gundam show trying to recapture the Gundam SEED audience again. It's not that the show is bad or even unlikeable, but rather that it's unambitious compared to the rest of the franchise, and certainly the rest of the mecha genre.

It's easy for me to believe them, since I've watched many of the shows that they've watched and have found myself agreeing with them on mecha more often than not.

I'm not afraid that I'll end up liking IBO and having an opinion contrary to theirs, I just don't feel like watching a post-SEED straight-up warfare Gundam show when there's so many better alternatives in the gritty mecha warfare genre I could be watching instead.

Perhaps I'll get back to IBO one day (I remember watching the first four episodes at least), but right now, I have no real desire to watch it. I have to finish Penguindrum and Your Lie in April for watchbets, and I want to finish Turn A Gundam, which I'm halfway through. I want to finish Thunderbolt Fantasy as well, (which is my top priority as Narag's currently holding it hostage behind a 1/10 on MAL until I finish it).

That's some low hanging fruit to go by given its reputation. This might be why you have a problem selling shows to people too since you'll default to certain opinions posed to you.

What do you mean? I wrote a long review on Majin Bone and have constantly tried to sell the show based on its own merits, not with other people's opinions. The fact that other people's opinions on Majin Bone are a rarity in of itself is another reason why I keep trying to sell it!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
91 Days Aight this was good, but not the intense revenge tale I thought it would be. There were ups, there were downs, but I think my biggest problem was how it kind of lulled in the middle. The story really went away from Angelo to Goatee, and it worked for the end but the stuff leading up to it was okay but kind of what you expected of a mafia tale. Really loved that last episode though, really good way to cap off the tale.

Narag

Kuromukuro 2

Really digging these first two eps. Feels like a lot of visual homage to Evangelion in the opening eps what with the slow lumbering yellow ogre, its field repelling the military with ease, the fast organic movement of the titular mecha, and the various governmental agencies either observing or supporting events. I'm aware this isn't unique to Eva but when these elements are taken together, this show evokes recollection of it.

Also, Yukina's a treasure.

Cornbread78

March Comes in Like a Lion 1
Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Is that a hood or a bad "Mmmmmmmm?"

Occultic;Nine ep.1
Wow, my mind is still trying to catch up what I just watched.... please hold....

Ok. Melon boobs is annoying and her design is ridiculous; I get it. The text was way too fast and not deep; I get it.

However, I don't think this is nearly the "worst anime ever" or even close to it. The art and coloring were really nice and I'm interested in where they go with the story and that ending.... I'll hive this a few to see how I feel about it then.

Szadek

Day Break Illusion - Ep. 1
I think with a new dark magical girl anime airing this season, this is a pretty good time to finally watch this show.
Depending on how fast I get through this one, I also consider watching Yuki Yuna is a Hero as well.

Pretty decent start.
The second half felt a bit rushed, but I like that the show got dark pretty quickly.
It certianly isn't wasting anytime.

I could create my own opinion on the show, yes. But these people are not saying IBO is bad.

They say it's uninteresting and want more shows in the vein of Gundam Build Fighters and G Gundam (which is what I want as well, as those are two of my favourite shows), which is more or less the exception than the rule when it comes to Sunrise Gundam shows.

They describe IBO in a way that checks in completely with how Sunrise creates their shows. Whenever things go badly for Sunrise, they hop right back into the UC barrel and churn-out yet another straight-up warfare Gundam show trying to recapture the Gundam SEED audience again. It's not that the show is bad or even unlikeable, but rather that it's unambitious compared to the rest of the franchise, and certainly the rest of the mecha genre.

It's easy for me to believe them, since I've watched many of the shows that they've watched and have found myself agreeing with them on mecha more often than not.

I'm not afraid that I'll end up liking IBO and having an opinion contrary to theirs, I just don't feel like watching a post-SEED straight-up warfare Gundam show when there's so many better alternatives in the gritty mecha warfare genre I could be watching instead.

Perhaps I'll get back to IBO one day (I remember watching the first four episodes at least), but right now, I have no real desire to watch it. I have to finish Penguindrum and Your Lie in April for watchbets, and I want to finish Turn A Gundam, which I'm halfway through. I want to finish Thunderbolt Fantasy as well, (which is my top priority as Narag's currently holding it hostage behind a 1/10 on MAL until I finish it).

What do you mean? I wrote a long review on Majin Bone and have constantly tried to sell the show based on its own merits, not with other people's opinions. The fact that other people's opinions on Majin Bone are a rarity in of itself is another reason why I keep trying to sell it!
Fair enough, you seem to have plenty of backlog to get through, just like me. Just do remember that the show is there, and that I'd be surprised to hear you say that it is anything less than good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm watching IBO as the dub goes up on TOONAMI and its an okay show. The mecha design isn't great, and it's been sagging something fierce in the middle, but the characters are interesting enough and the world is slowly being revealed as these child soldiers travel around. They make for a wonderful excuse for exposition dumps as these kids can't even read let alone know anything about anything besides being soldiers.

I'm watching IBO as the dub goes up on TOONAMI and its an okay show. The mecha design isn't great, and it's been sagging something fierce in the middle, but the characters are interesting enough and the world is slowly being revealed as these child soldiers travel around. They make for a wonderful excuse for exposition dumps as these kids can't even read let alone know anything about anything besides being soldiers.
If there is one thing that I love is natural world exposition. You know, when it makes sense for something to be explained between two characters, without it feeling forced.

Euphonium 2 EP 1

That was glorious. Didnt know it would be 47 minutes long so whatever I did to deserve it, thank you KyoAni.

The music and art are still gorgeous. I guess KyoAni finally made Reina and Kumiko a couple now? And is it just me or did Kumikos VA change? I dont remember her sounding so disinterested in S1. Like her delivery sometime just sounds bored and ambivalent.

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.2
tumblr_inline_oeqs3zIg0h1qgl6qf_500.png

Not a bad follow-up. That little bastardly mascot killed her himself, didn't he! WTF.

Although it felt pretty slow, I think they did a good job setting up the future casualties events and introducing sone new magical girls to the fray. If you didn't already know by her name, Calamity Mary will be the primary antagonist, along with the jerk little rat doll, Fav. Hopefully we het to some real action and despair soon.

Also, the Madoka influence was strong with the "contract" talk..

Euphonium 2 EP 1

That was glorious. Didnt know it would be 47 minutes long so whatever I did to deserve it, thank you KyoAni.

The music and art are still gorgeous. I guess KyoAni finally made Reina and Kumiko are finally a couple now? And is it just me or did Kumikos VA change? I dont remember her sounding so disinterested in S1. Like her delivery sometime just sounds bored and ambivalent.

The voice actresses haven't changed, but if I recall correctly an interview with the sound director indicated that he wanted to go for more natural vocal delivery in the second season than the first.

The voice actresses haven't changed, but if I recall correctly an interview with the sound director indicated that he wanted to go for more natural vocal delivery in the second season than the first.

Ah ok. Not sure if I like that or not but maybe it'll grow on me.

Just noticed I never watched episode 14 of Eupho. I think it was an extra episode or something? I had no idea it existed so its like a treat.

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro 24-26
Well that was weird. It makes sense I guess but it's fairly anticlimactic for a finale. It almost seems like they're setting up a sequel but it's also somewhat complete on its own. I don't think I liked this by itself as it felt like a tease and knowing how there probably won't be a sequel it just leaves me with a case of blue-balls. The show as a whole never reached the highs I wanted it to, although they got close multiple times, but it never sank into the depths that most modern mecha shows do.

This makes perfect sense though. I couldn't stop laughing as it's absolutely brilliant.

Cornbread78

www.Working ep.2
Even in this show, yhey have to rub it in that they have a nice blue Vita in Japan, but not in NA/EU.

That aside, I thought I would gate these characters, but nope, they are all different and all fun in their own ways. Blondie mama is the best so far, lol. Fun show us fun

Cornbread78

Nice. I just saw the first OP on Youtube, and I must say, it's pretty hype. Sometimes, the OP can drag me into watching animes. Gundam 00 and Darker than Black OPs dragged me into watching them, and, boy, it was glorious (sans darker than black second season, fuck that season. It doesn't exist)

Best song in Eureka 7 is Sakura, but you won't get there for awhile. One of my favs in all of anime.

Vinegar makes you have sour tastes, y'know?

SMOrc
Hence why I fucking hate it. Also I'm very LTTP since everyone already posted about it on the previous thread, but Stranger Things was good. Godly OST. Not anime enough though. Although without a doubt Demogorgon-chan was the most kawaii-desu.

Line_HTX

Occultic;Nine ep.1
Wow, my mind is still trying to catch up what I just watched.... please hold....

Ok. Melon boobs is annoying and her design is ridiculous; I get it. The text was way too fast and not deep; I get it.

However, I don't think this is nearly the "worst anime ever" or even close to it. The art and coloring were really nice and I'm interested in where they go with the story and that ending.... I'll hive this a few to see how I feel about it then.

Yeah, from the sounds of the overall description this is way below average, but to be the worst anime ever would have to have literally every facet be horrendous beyond belief like nobody was prepared to make this remotely presentable on different fronts.

Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song 17-24 (End)

Forgot why I stopped watching it, but decided to get around to finishing it. Was a bit lost at first since I had forgotten a lot of the side character and subplots from S1 that were recurring and popped back up. Still, Jiro's arc wrapped up fairly nicely, and overall, I enjoyed how it ended.

Shame about Raito though.

Gvitor

I actually thought her delivery was on the same tone than in the first season. When I think about her personality, I think of the scene where she and Reina are climbing the mountain in S1, and she says something like "well, that's kind of erotic". The tone she uses there is full of snarkiness, sarcasm, while using a calm voice and that's the same vibe I've got from S2 Kumiko teasing Reina about Taki, for instance. She's not on that mode 100% of the time, but she also wasn't in S1, and I didn't think the direction changed much, if any.

Though of course when the sound director says that, he's probably talking about the whole second season and things might change in the future. Right now, I don't hear it.

Cornbread78

Finally found the best ED of the season (musically) up on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/CemuoowT3ZA

Yeah, from the sounds of the overall description this is way below average, but to be the worst anime ever would have to have literally every facet be horrendous beyond belief like nobody was prepared to make this remotely presentable on different fronts.

Yeah, some of the comments I read kinda blew my mind and I was really expecting something worse than Green Green, but something comperable with the rabbit SoL show of nonsense, lol. They really meed to fix (slow fown and clarify) the presentation of the show because, they really muffed that opening...

Flip Flappers 1

Unlike everyone else, my biggest worry with this show is that it'll develop too much plot. At least next episode looks fun.

I'm sure there'll be lots of fun antics in Pure Illusion.

Part of me thinks this'll have kind of pseudo Precure story. Girls are looking for a magic shard, there seems to be an evil organization of some kind, main duo can transform into magical girls because of the magic shard, etc.

I'm interested in what the story behind Pure Illusion is as long as we get just as much cool-looking stuff out of it as well. Along with some sakuga magical girl battles and more moments of Papika and Cocona being cute.

Finally found the best ED of the season up on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/CemuoowT3ZA

That's not the Flip Flappers ED.

Cornbread78

I knew I would click and be received by trash, but you still manage to surprise me cornbread with how bad that was

No way, that was pretty good..

*shrug*

Oh well, I really like the language mix, the lyrics and thd beat were all pretty good.. oh well, it's much better (musically) than eveeything else I've heard this season.

No way, that was pretty good..

*shrug*

Oh well, I really like the language mix, the lyrics and thd beat were all pretty good.. oh well, it's much better (musically) than eveeything else I've heard this season.

Pretty good? That ED is a literal foggy slide show of still images of the girls sleeping. The only animation in that ED is a slow-motion seven second bit of the MC holding a candle.

Compare with the Flip Flappers ED, which on the top half of the screen has vivid fantasy artwork while on the bottom half you have the two leads demonstrating their personalities with cute small chibi animations.

There's really no comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom