• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Kampfer was one of my first animes lol. I really enjoyed it.

Occultic;Nine episode 1
What the fuck did I just watch. The lightning fast dialogue is like Monogatari but way harder to follow and not as well written (or acted)

Pretty interesting stuff going on but the virgin MC and the big boobed girl with the weird nose are annoying as fuck and totally detract from the show. Literally all she did all episode was jump around a lot with her cow udders, make annoying moe sounds and shoot some kind of Ray gun at the guy. Bizarre and unnecessary

Taruranto

You know Erin you really are the The Beast Player #22
Ide2u03.jpg

Yay.

On other hand, it starting to feel like the show has some weird fascination with this scene. I get that their meeting was important, but stop using it every damn episode!!

Line_HTX

To Nico Nico Ni, or not to Nico Nico Ni. That is the question.

But Love Live is good!

You starvelling, you eel-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, you bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish – O for breath to utter what is like Nico Nico nii~! You tailor’s-yard, you sheath, you bow-case, you vile standing tuck!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kampfer was one of my first animes lol. I really enjoyed it.
Still salty that student council president loses to boring best friend girl. lol

You starvelling, you eel-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, you bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish – O for breath to utter what is like Nico Nico nii~! You tailor’s-yard, you sheath, you bow-case, you vile standing tuck!
He that shall live this day, and see old age, will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours, and say Tomorrow is Nico Nico Ni!, then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars and say these wounds I had on Nico Nico Ni's day.'

Oh Nico, Nico... wherefore are thou Ni!?

Cornbread78

I see. I got an impression by some that said witch is a little annoying, and considering she's one of the two main leads at the very least, that'd be a shame.

Good to hear the quality is around the same level though!

Yeah, not at all, especially considering the final scene..

Aiii

So not worth it
Just started March Comes In and I paused it just to come tell you that as a cat-owner, I was sold on it the second the cats got VAs. Best Anime this fall.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh shit, the other thing I have loved since childhood are Owls and now there is a cat that looks like an Owl. I can't even, you guys, I just can't.

Does your cat talk though?

:p

Both of them have figured out they can get what they want without talking, alas.

Line_HTX

ClassicaLoid 01

I think Sugita is having way too much fun hamming it up as Beethoven, and it's fucking awesome. This doesn't feel like an educational show, but I like a refresher on what specific piece it is in what Opus and what scale it is.

RIP PERFECT GYOZA.

Oh shit, Bach may be a bad guy? Que the end of the 1st part of Toccata and Fugue in D. Minor!

Bravo, Sunrise. You managed to put an obligatory mech in this one. :lol

brawly

91 Days | ep 1-12

Liked it quite a bit. It's a quick watch, has good animation, pace and plot. I also respect the ending.

But sheesh, the sound effects during the link are absolutely terrible. Terrible. Please change that or I fear for my sanity.

Yeah, I'm loving Appmon so far, but that sound effect decision is absolutely awful. I'd much prefer us get an insert song like in previous series, but even failing that, they could at least come up with something that doesn't make me want to rip my ears out.

jgminto

Trickster 2
So this is a weekly crime mystery show where the crime mystery parts are completely uninteresting. I'd rather be watching Columbo honestly.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I'm loving Appmon so far, but that sound effect decision is absolutely awful. I'd much prefer us get an insert song like in previous series, but even failing that, they could at least come up with something that doesn't make me want to rip my ears out.

Yeah, I wonder if whoever came up with that idea even listened to that himself. Because I refuse to belief someone heard that and said 'yeah, this sounds good, let's go with this'.
Absolutely baffling.

ClassicaLoid 01

I think Sugita is having way too much fun hamming it up as Beethoven, and it's fucking awesome. This doesn't feel like an educational show, but I like a refresher on what specific piece it is in what Opus and what scale it is.

Just a slight correction on the musical terminology: Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony is not in Opus 68; it is Opus 68. An "opus" is a term that arose out of publishing - it marks a composer's works in the order and groupings in which they were published. Symphonies and other large-scale orchestral works are generally published by themselves and thus would get their own opus number, whereas chamber or piano works might be published in sets and thus share opus numbers as in Op. 27, No. 2 (the designation for Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata).

Also, when we say the Pastoral Symphony is in F, we are referring to the key of F major as opposed to the scale of F major. To not get too theoretical, think of the difference as a scale being a sequence of notes while a key is the musical world oriented around that scalar sequence but not limited to it.

Cornbread78

Yuri on Ice ep.1
Well, that was pretty good. I'm surprised I found that interesting, then I remembered I grew up watching skating because my mom was a huge fan and we only had 1 tv in the house.. This could be fun as long as they stay away from too much male fanservice and male "yuri" lol. Tge animation and visuals were really goos as everyone has already mentioned

Aki-at

ClassicaLoid - 1

At first I'm thinking who's this young Emmett Brown, then who's this girl with the pink hair. Then I find out pink haired girl is Mozart and young Emmett Brown is Beethoven and then even a random mecha appears and this show is hard to second guess.

I went in expecting nothing and came back a eagerly awaiting episode 2. Loved the ball room art direction and character designs for the most part, some lovely picturesque shots in there too.

jgminto

Yuri on Ice ep.1
Well, that was pretty good. I'm surprised I found that interesting, then I remembered I grew up watching skating because my mom was a huge fan and we only had 1 tv in the house.. This could be fun as long as they stay away from too much male fanservice and male "yuri" lol. Tge animation and visuals were really goos as everyone has already mentioned
I hope you realise I'd have to fistfight you if that came to be true now, Cornbread. If you've put a jinx on my gay ice skating show, dukes up punk!

TrueBlue

Izetta Episode 2

So, what the hell? This episode was good. Izetta wasn't annoying at all - I mean, unless you count "Hime-sama" or whatever as such - and I remain intrigued.

What we've seen so far of the relationship between the two leads is pretty standard stuff, but I'm looking forward to seeing more. Izetta obviously feels that she owes Finé for saving her life when they were younger, and I'm looking forward to seeing how such a situation - where a young princess is wounded by presumably her own people - came about.

I'm actually a little surprised by how restrained Izetta's powers are here. I was expecting a stylistic show of lights, but what we got instead was more practical if no less magical.

I imagine we'll see more as the series progresses. I do hope however that the series continues to blend the magic and war elements effectively, without one trampling over the other. I'd even be happy if Izetta herself is the only magical element in the entire show.

So, yeah. I enjoyed it a lot, maybe I just misread the quibbles? It wasn't as good as the first episode, but as Qurupeke and Cornbread said, there wasn't a significant change in quality.

--

On an unrelated note - that Euphonium beach episode vid on the last page, is that actually a preview for the coming episode or something else entirely? If it's the former, I'm still a little surprised it's happening.

--

On another unrelated note, I really need to stop typing these relatively meaty posts on my phone...

Cornbread78

I hope you realise I'd have to fistfight you if that came to be true now, Cornbread. If you've put a jinx on my gay ice skating show, dukes up punk!

Lol. I'm sure there will be plenty more "baiting" for you to enjoy!

In other news, I got my gay buddy to check out All Out.

He was interested in the rugby.. no really, he was.

So Soul Buster kicks off with this weird filter that looks like someone took a black crayon and drew a bunch of lines up and down every shot.
download.png

I'm thinking, well, maybe it's just this scene because it's a dark scene or something.

download_1.png

NOPE!

Cornbread78

Shiki ep.1

Well, that certainly escallated quickly! Remote small mountain town, lots of wood, creepy mansion, new strangers in town... Yup, the setup is all there, lol. The female lead is certainly eccentric and I'm interested to see how she
was killed already
. Looking forward to seeing how off the rails this show gets.

Jarmel

Banned
Magical Girls of the Dead-2

Being a magical girl is a hard racket nowadays. Nu-Kyubey is unsurprisingly another scumbag mascot.

Stella no Mahou 01-02

Cute girls making video games. Two seasons in a row and I've got no problem with that. I like the way that the dour girl is the club president and has the most passion for what they're doing despite being the least expressive of them all. They're gonna get a lot of milage out of the fact the MC's best friend is a fujo. Also wow that is an incredibly strong ED for the kind of show this is, really good stuff.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I was gonna wait until i finished other shows to have a better post but i really wanted to talk about these two

Flip Flappers: i'm not sure what happened but i was mesmerized by it, i'm seriously thinking about rewatching it, too good

March comes in like a lion: i just wanted to comment on the sudden tone shifts, for me sometimes it feels that way, you're forced to react (or not) by your surroundings. Also note that just as sudden as it was to turn to "happy" mood, it turns back. That's how i perceived it and why it didn't feel strange to me.

March comes in like a lion: i just wanted to comment on the sudden tone shifts, for me sometimes it feels that way, you're forced to react (or not) by your surroundings. Also note that just as sudden as it was to turn to "happy" mood, it turns back. That's how i perceived it and why it didn't feel strange to me.

I didn't find the tonal shifts to be unusually sudden, especially compared to how inserted comedy often comes across in anime adaptations of manga. What the first episode demonstrated was the difference in personality and worldviews between Rei and the three sisters - his withdrawn gloom and their outward enthusiasm. The episode has a consistently low-energy, reflective tone whenever Rei is the only main character present while the sisters are the ones who bring warmth and cheer into his life and into the anime as a whole. Someone earlier said that this was essentially the same show as Your Lie in April but I think that's a gross misreading of what's going on here. Certainly there's nothing in this episode of March Comes in Like a Lion comparable with Your Lie in April's "you saw my panties, pervert!" slapstick comedy that ruins what's trying to be an emotionally moving moment when its two protagonists first meet.

mAcOdIn

So Soul Buster kicks off with this weird filter that looks like someone took a black crayon and drew a bunch of lines up and down every shot.

I'm thinking, well, maybe it's just this scene because it's a dark scene or something.

NOPE!
It's kinda like how Samurai Girls looked but less subtle. Hmm, more overt is probably more apt.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't find the tonal shifts to be unusually sudden, especially compared to how inserted comedy often comes across in anime adaptations of manga. What the first episode demonstrated was the difference in personality and worldviews between Rei and the three sisters - his withdrawn gloom and their outward enthusiasm. The episode has a consistently low-energy, reflective tone whenever Rei is the only main character present while the sisters are the ones who bring warmth and cheer into his life and into the anime as a whole. Someone earlier said that this was essentially the same show as Your Lie in April but I think that's a gross misreading of what's going on here. Certainly there's nothing in this episode of March Comes in Like a Lion comparable with Your Lie in April's "you saw my panties, pervert!" slapstick comedy that ruins what's trying to be an emotionally moving moment when its two protagonists first meet.

The show is perfectly fine with the audience sinking into the depths with Rei.

Cornbread78

There were some big tonal shifts in the show, which right along with his depression and mood change, especially when he met with the girls. The impressive part was how the art was handled to support those changes; especially the lighting and OST. Everything surrounding him was brighter, crisper and more cheery when his mood changed.

Thorax or Jarmel could probably write a book at all thr little artistic cues added into that episode.

Cornbread78

Saikano ep.4
Damn, Chiza is slowely losing all her humanity. Her convo with the soldiers was heartbreaking.. You gotta feel bad for the dude here as well. He is trying his best to support her, but damn...

JulianImp

I've gotto bear with this internet connection for a whole more month... it's going to be painful to miss out on what appear to be several good shows, but I guess I'll be joining the discussion later.

Tetsugaku letra
Helck
Shima Kosaku series
Spirit Circle
Shinya Shokudo

Belated thanks for the recommendations, as I ended up ordering Letra through Amazon and it's going to be arriving sometime soon today it has just arrived! Most of the other works were kind of expensive and tended to be damaged used books or ones from manga cafés, but I was able to get this one for cheap. It also helped that it was only six volumes, so it wasn't as expensive.

Will get started on it soon, but would it be okay for me to post my impressions here as opposed to just going to the manga thread or something?

Trickster episode 2

...Does the show actually have a Shounen Tantei Dan, or is it some kind of Conan homage?

Line_HTX

Just a slight correction on the musical terminology: Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony is not in Opus 68; it is Opus 68. An "opus" is a term that arose out of publishing - it marks a composer's works in the order and groupings in which they were published. Symphonies and other large-scale orchestral works are generally published by themselves and thus would get their own opus number, whereas chamber or piano works might be published in sets and thus share opus numbers as in Op. 27, No. 2 (the designation for Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata).

Also, when we say the Pastoral Symphony is in F, we are referring to the key of F major as opposed to the scale of F major. To not get too theoretical, think of the difference as a scale being a sequence of notes while a key is the musical world oriented around that scalar sequence but not limited to it.

I'm not saying it was. I know that this is not really an educational show in the normal sense. It's more or less having fun with it.

Thanks for clarifying though. It's a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom