• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
On Flip Flappers, I am with Gvitor on this one. The first episode is nice and promising, and to say it doesn't have a plot is an exaggeration, but I do need more contexts. I came out of the episode thinking it was pretty cool, but I didn't have any particular feelings toward it. I do have faith that as the show goes along, there will be more meat to chew on, so I am sticking with it.

Animation and visuals were good, but that wasn't enough to grab me. There's plenty of shitty anime with good visuals.

I'd say what's remarkable about the visuals is not just that they're "good visuals", but the way the show smartly utilizes the visuals as part of its storytelling. Every scene is built up with them. They help to build the atmosphere, the setting, the colors contribute to the mood of each scene. It's a lot more than just a mediocre show that happens to look pretty at times. It's rare for shows to be firing on this sort of level visually.

I'm not sure if you mean the part I'm about to describe, but to me the best part of the episode was when Papika went to grab Cocona's glasses. The tone suddenly shifted from this bubbly adventure to a dark world with actual stakes. I'm not sure this will pay off or if I read too much into that short sequence, but that's what I liked the most. And, again, if I knew anything about this world I'd be more invested on that short scene.

I was thinking more of the first half of the episode, with a lot of the scenes where things looked really pretty, but everything was really showing Cocona's reservations and dissatisfaction with her life. Right from the opening scene the show was establishing that this is something which is colorful on the surface, but that the story going on beneath the surface is not necessarily a bubbly one. It was that sort of feeling that attracted me from the start.

The sequence with Papika going to grab the glasses was a great one, too. It felt like the moment where the stuff that was bubbling beneath the surface started to rise up to the top.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 13

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

MORE. I DEMAND MORE.

SEASON 2 WHEN.

Gvitor

Gi(a)rlish number 01

Okay, did someone already gif the

":) is it a manga? :)"
"no, light novel"
":(((("

conversation?

Because I lost it hard

I never knew I wanted this.

EDIT: Finished it. This came out of nowhere and it might be my favorite new anime of the season. It might even skyrocket into my AOTY list.

You people better let me vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy as AOTY.

I'm serious. That was the best thing Urobuchi's ever made. Better than Madoka Magica.

It deserves to be the first thing people see when they open the AOTY results thread.

duckroll

I think it'd be better if they just came out and said what "pure illusion" is, even if the purpose of the show is to be an anthology of adventures (which I don't think will be, by the way). Purposedly avoiding the subject (Cocona asks if it's a parallel world or a dream specifically, to which Papika just dodges the question) didn't work with me. A "show, don't tell" approach could work, but when you only show and don't tell anything, it really doesn't.

Again, it's just a pilot, but it has to have something for me to grab on, something that I can look and recommend to someone, and right now that something just isn't there. I'm not sure what is there, actually.

Well, honestly, I would say... who cares? Are you -really- interested in the show because you want to know what Pure Illusion is? Does it matter? Or are you hoping that what Pure Illusion is makes you interested in the show? Because that's backwards. The hook here is garbage. No one cares what Pure Illusion is. Not the characters, probably not the writer, probably not even the director. It's just a "thing". Whatever it is, is probably stupid. The backstory is probably stupid. This isn't a narrative driven show. It's a bunch of animator buddies coming together to fuck around and draw cool shit about fantasy worlds and two girls who are not-lesbians almost getting it on, and a stupid robot that does cute/creepy robot-sidekick things. It's never going to be a substantial plot. It's for people who enjoy visual stuff so we can fap to our own words while we talk about the animation, the direction, the themes, the visual motifs, and how the framing and camera motion enhances the tone. Fap fap fap fap fap.

Sorry, got a bit too honest there.

It's not really anime.

Aw come on. It's no different than a claymation movie being listed as an animated feature.

Thunderbolt Fantasy, while a puppet show, is still filmed, the puppets are animated with some special effects, it's from Japan and legally watchable subbed on Crunchyroll, so why not?

Aw come on. It's no different than a claymation movie being listed as an animated feature.

Thunderbolt Fantasy, while a puppet show, is still filmed, the puppets are animated with some special effects, it's from Japan and legally watchable subbed on Crunchyroll, so why not?
Can't a live action show technically have special effects and be available on crunchy roll if it's a Japanese drama?

Mailbox

Can't a live action show technically have special effects and be available on crunchy roll if it's a Japanese drama?

Dramas and anime are in different sections on crunchyroll.
Thunderbolt is in the anime section.
(Though I still don't think it should be AOTY)

Btw, that begs the question. When Rwby season 4 starts up, would posting impressions here be fine? (though tbh idk if i'll have the time and energy to watch much this season :/)

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if it was able to be voted for, but if I had to give my preference I'd give it a special mention as an amazing show that would have ranked high if it was animation. That way it gets a spotlight in the list.

JulianImp

without me saying my stance on this

this is not a good barometer of what should be considered for aoty

Except for the whole part where he said "animation", yeah.

Step-motion generally qualifies as animation, so why would we leave TF out of a Japanese animation poll? I don't know if Aku no Hana got allowed in the AotY voting for the year it came in, but if it did then I would consider Thunderbolt Fantasy an elegible contender as well.

duckroll

Actually, if I were to be completely honest, Thunderbolt Fantasy does not fall within any reasonable definition of animation. The reason is that it is not a stop motion production. Animation as a process, regardless of the type of animation, is defined by the frame-step nature of the production. There has to be frames of animation for it to be an animation. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a video recording, and falls under live action. It just isn't recording people.

BUT. For the purpose of AOTY, "anime" is defined as "something exceptional and precious enough that the esteemed members of the AnimeGAF thread would deem worthwhile to discuss in some form." So yes, Thunderbolt Fantasy is absolutely anime.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I mean it's not like the show itself had one single live-action human in it. It's not like I'm talking about Crunchyroll's drama shows or a tokusatsu show.

Anime is a pretty lose term for me. I like all forms of animation and my favorite animation style is stop motion. You can add TF to the list but don't expect to not hear criticism about if it wins.

TUSR

Banned
Except for the whole part where he said "animation", yeah.

Step-motion generally qualifies as animation, so why would we leave TF out of a Japanese animation poll? I don't know if Aku no Hana got allowed in the AotY voting for the year it came in, but if it did then I would consider Thunderbolt Fantasy an elegible contender as well.

Except I never said it shouldn't. Just the line I highlighted is irrelevant.

Regardless of metric you want to define it as, its ultimately our community and it was a staple of last season that many of us watched and enjoyed.

Edit: Pretty much what Duckroll said.

Actually, if I were to be completely honest, Thunderbolt Fantasy does not fall within any reasonable definition of animation. The reason is that it is not a stop motion production. Animation as a process, regardless of the type of animation, is defined by the frame-step nature of the production. There has to be frames of animation for it to be an animation. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a video recording, and falls under live action. It just isn't recording people.

BUT. For the purpose of AOTY, "anime" is defined as "something exceptional and precious enough that the esteemed members of the AnimeGAF thread would deem worthwhile to discuss in some form." So yes, Thunderbolt Fantasy is absolutely anime.

Gvitor

Well, honestly, I would say... who cares? Are you -really- interested in the show because you want to know what Pure Illusion is? Does it matter? Or are you hoping that what Pure Illusion is makes you interested in the show? Because that's backwards. The hook here is garbage. No one cares what Pure Illusion is. Not the characters, probably not the writer, probably not even the director. It's just a "thing". Whatever it is, is probably stupid. The backstory is probably stupid. This isn't a narrative driven show. It's a bunch of animator buddies coming together to fuck around and draw cool shit about fantasy worlds and two girls who are not-lesbians almost getting it on, and a stupid robot that does cute/creepy robot-sidekick things. It's never going to be a substantial plot. It's for people who enjoy visual stuff so we can fap to our own words while we talk about the animation, the direction, the themes, the visual motifs, and how the framing and camera motion enhances the tone. Fap fap fap fap fap.

Sorry, got a bit too honest there.

Well, no, but knowing what it is (as a means to set things up, at the very least) would make everything else more enjoyable, at least to me. As it is, they just mashed a bunch of stuff together without setting anything up and, like you said, told us to fap to it. If y'all can enjoy only the visual and theme stuff, great.

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if it was able to be voted for, but if I had to give my preference I'd give it a special mention as an amazing show that would have ranked high if it was animation. That way it gets a spotlight in the list.

Yeah, at the very least, the show deserves a honorable mention.

If anything, Thunderbolt Fantasy needs to be an honorable mention at the end of the list.

Nah, it should be right before the list.

Something like: "Hey, Thunderbolt Fantasy is better than every single one of the shows in this list and you should totally watch it, but without further ado, here's the top ten AOTY!" at the very top of the thread.

Qurupeke

Maybe we should have a voting for Not-AOTY. With shows like Thunderbolt Fantasy, Stranger Things and Shin Godzilla, there's already potential there.

Jex

Flip Flappers 01

What the fuck did I just watch?

Is this going to be this season's Rewrite? If they don't explain anything in the next episode I might drop it.
I can only assume you weren't a massive fan of Kyōsōgiga?

Quasar

Boycott begins here.

Line_HTX

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to include it in the Top 10 list. I'll put it on an honorable mention at least because it deserves attention.

sonicmj1

Well, no, but knowing what it is (as a means to set things up, at the very least) would make everything else more enjoyable, at least to me. As it is, they just mashed a bunch of stuff together without setting anything up and, like you said, told us to fap to it. If y'all can enjoy only the visual and theme stuff, great.

Style is substance.

duckroll

Look, in a year where Shin Godzilla is going to be rigged to win AOTY Movie, why does anyone really care if Thunderbolt Fantasy wins AOTY TV?

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa 01

cant fucking believe they made a short anime series about a twitter artist's (strangestone) art when all he does is draw busty girls in tight clothing.

still better then occult:nine tho.

Aikatsu Stars 21-22

Finally catching up. AiStars really is turning into a mahou shoujo. Yume is about to unlock her powers to shake the entire Aikatsu world. It's great to see the friendly rivalry between Yume and Laura that isn't really present in the original series. How has Koharu still not debuted? She gets a decent amount of screen time but she is really underutilized. I didn't think it was possible but headmaster-chan is beating out Mizuki as the worst Aikatsu character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom