• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

Flip Flappers 01

What the fuck did I just watch?

Is this going to be this season's Rewrite? If they don't explain anything in the next episode I might drop it.

Jarmel

Banned
91 Days-11
8797360324638.png

Cornbread78

Saikano ep.5
Uggh, leave the damn teacher alone dude, your chick is gonna be gobe soon and you know it. Don't try to avoid the pain now, support it while you can!

Flip Flappers 01

What the fuck did I just watch?

Is this going to be this season's Rewrite? If they don't explain anything in the next episode I might drop it.

Please don't compare Flip Flappers to that. They are nothing alike.

I don't understand these "no story/no explanation" complaints on this one first episode.

Gvitor

Please don't compare Flip Flappers to that. They are nothing alike.

I don't understand these "no story/no explanation" complaints on this one first episode.

Well, while I obvious can't compare both series completely since I dropped Rewrite in the first episode and Flip Flappers only has one so far, I can say that both 1st episodes left me with the same feeling of "I don't understand a thing".

Cocona must've asked what the hell was going on 3 or more times and Papika and the robot always ignored, shrugged it off, or said "pure illusion" like that meant something. I don't expect them to give out everything from the start, I like a good mistery, but this doesn't feel like a mistery, it just feels like not explaining for the sake of not explaining.

Jarmel

Banned
91 Days-12

Visually a powerful ending but narratively I'm not sure an open ending makes sense here. I do think the ocean worked as a beautiful closer though.

91 Days-12

Visually a powerful ending but narratively I'm not sure an open ending makes sense here. I do think the ocean worked as a beautiful closer though.

I think it worked great.
The show opened with a man with no meaning to his life, he thinks he finds it, then realizes it's not. It ends with another chance to find a new reason. Not to mention the same character sparing him twice

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it worked great.
The show opened with a man with no meaning to his life, he thinks he finds it, then realizes it's not. It ends with another chance to find a new reason. Not to mention the same character sparing him twice

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Problem is the last shot with the footsteps as those serve counter to Nero letting him live. The footprints being washed away and stopping implies that both are possibly dead.

Well, while I obvious can't compare both series completely since I dropped Rewrite in the first episode and Flip Flappers only has one so far, I can say that both 1st episodes left me with the same feeling of "I don't understand a thing".

Cocona must've asked what the hell was going on 3 or more times and Papika and the robot always ignored, shrugged it off, or said "pure illusion" like that meant something. I don't expect them to give out everything from the start, I like a good mistery, but this doesn't feel like a mistery, it just feels like not explaining for the sake of not explaining.

I think (and certainly hope) that the "plot" of Flip Flappers, any explanation for what Pure Illusion really "is" or such like, is unimportant. What is important is the fantastic adventures Cocona and Papika end up having. I've seen comparisons being made to Alice in Wonderland, and I think that's apt.

Cornbread78

Problem is the last shot with the footsteps as those serve counter to Nero letting him live. The footprints being washed away and stopping implies that both are possibly dead.

That was my confusion at the ending as well. Not to mention all the "dream" sequences on different timelines..

??

The last words he tells him if I recall is something along the lines of "if you don't have a reason to live you go and find one". Then Angelo tells him as he passes by that the reason he didn't kill him is because he didn't feel like it. The shot of him lingering on Angelo just like he did before. We see Nero driving away then looking at a can of pineapples and smiling. Whatever immediate hate he held for 'Avilio' disappeared during the trip.

The footsteps is up to interpretation I guess but I saw it as
ocean waves/his steps towards the horizon not coming in perfectly symmetrical so the section the waves had washed away already were already gone. Then the waves come back and wash away the rest with more wind. The symbolism of the waves washing away your previous path, symbolizing a new start from zero works nice.
But this was coupled with the above. I feel it was less open ended for interpretation the same sense Cowboy Bebop's ending was, but in reality it's easier to analyze one side over the other.

I didn't really see it as an open end either, my interpretation of the whole scene falls in line with Woof's. Had we not watched the whole show and the last episode, then maybe yeah, one could be confused. But that last exchange between them only served to cement what was mentioned, they
both went their separate ways to start anew. Avilio's tracks are gone because he kept walking in a straight line, which left the path that we see partly erased by the sea waves.

Man that being said, and thinking back on it, that was one beautiful ending. Again, this show will be pretty damn high on my AOTY list.

I think (and certainly hope) that the "plot" of Flip Flappers, any explanation for what Pure Illusion really "is" or such like, is unimportant. What is important is the fantastic adventures Cocona and Papika end up having. I've seen comparisons being made to Alice in Wonderland, and I think that's apt.

Like I said before, I imagine the overall story of Flip Flappers will be something akin to that of a Precure story, with the main plot focusing on the adventures of Papika and Cocona, with the usual magical girl fight scenes, topped off with an evil organization with some mysterious goal that involves an object of mythical power (The Shard of Mimi, in this case).

I'd be content with that, along with the backstories and character development of the two leads.

I particularly liked how the ending song was used. Even if they simply didn't have the budget to get another song to do a montage with, the song is just so relaxing it works great.

Let's not forget the OP song. The actual video that accompanied it could have been a lot better, but that song was awesome. The ED was pretty great too. Overall, the show was a great package.

Jarmel

Banned
??

The last words he tells him if I recall is something along the lines of "if you don't have a reason to live you go and find one". Then Angelo tells him as he passes by that the reason he didn't kill him is because he didn't feel like it. The shot of him lingering on Angelo just like he did before. We see Nero driving away then looking at a can of pineapples and smiling. Whatever immediate hate he held for 'Avilio' disappeared during the trip.

The footsteps is up to interpretation I guess but I saw it as
ocean waves/his steps towards the horizon not coming in perfectly symmetrical so the section the waves had washed away already were already gone. Then the waves come back and wash away the rest with more wind. The symbolism of the waves washing away your previous path, symbolizing a new start from zero works nice.
But this was coupled with the above. I feel it was less open ended for interpretation the same sense Cowboy Bebop's ending was, but in reality it's easier to analyze one side over the other.

Well the show implies that Nero bites the dust shortly after, hence the shot of the hitman. So I viewed the footsteps as being symbolic of their lives.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I would say that Alice in Wonderland is a bit of a stretch for Flip Flappers. Alice really goes out of its way to highlight the oddities of a new world, and Flip Flappers really is not meant to be that way. There is a sense of wonder to where they go, but it does not do that much to feel like it truly twists reality.

You should 100% expect the story to have a through line that sees Cocona change as a character. With how the first episode ended there is not some kind of hard reset where nothing happened, so I don't think it's just going to be one adventure following another. How the real world is changing for Cocona is going to matter. Also, it is not a magical girl show like Precure, come on buds.

JulianImp

Tetsugaku Letra - Volume 1
This... was just too good.

Using up a sixth of the manga's space until the main character finally gathers the courage to move onwards would be a risky proposition in most cases, but here it was masterfully handled, with great pacing and lots of very touching moments. The way Kamitaka's personality, fears and aspirations were laid out and expanded upon in this very first volume is unlike most of the anime I've been watching as of late, and I'm very glad I picked the series up.

The way he slowly broke out of the shell he had erected around himself felt way more natural for his character than him just picking flamenco up as soon as he had swapped shoes with the girl, and the circumstances and thought process that led to him finally mustering the courage to try flamenco out were handled in an awesome way that really fit his personality and background. Most of them were crazy coincidences, yeah, but to me everything flowed perfectly from one scene to the next, and the comedy bits that showed up every now and then weren't crazy mood whiplashes like in KimiUso, while still fulfilling their purpose of giving me a gentre respite in between sad, dramatic and heartwarming scenes (I'm okay with banzai grampa, since he does play the part of a doting grandparent on top of going "banzai!" in moments that at least feel mildly appropriate).

I think I can't get started with the second volume fast enough... Again, many thanks to striferser for recommending this to me!

I would say that Alice in Wonderland is a bit of a stretch for Flip Flappers. Alice really goes out of its way to highlight the oddities of a new world, and Flip Flappers really is not meant to be that way. There is a sense of wonder to where they go, but it does not do that much to feel like it truly twists reality.

You should 100% expect the story to have a through line that sees Cocona change as a character. With how the first episode ended there is not some kind of hard reset where nothing happened, so I don't think it's just going to be one adventure following another. How the real world is changing for Cocona is going to matter. Also, it is not a magical girl show like Precure, come on buds.

I was mostly using the Precure comparison loosely. From the plot description highlighting the importance of the Shard of Mimi and the fact that the two leads are able to transform, along with the fact that the OP shows some fighting going on, this definetly feels like a magical girl show. Not exactly like Precure, of course. I was more or less reminded of it.

Cornbread78

I can't remember, but there was a cartoon I watched as a kid, where they would ho to an alternate workd for adventures like the Pure Illusion world. Watching Flip Flappers this past weekend wasca serious blast of the past kinda feeling when I watched the show..

I think Ni No Kuni is a more apt comparison.

Shergal

flip flappers will of course have an explicit narrative, but i think hosanna's point is more wary about the show getting too caught up in its own mechanics, becoming boring and tiring like many of these do. FLCL is actually a good reference point here, as something that pulls its plot into a theme without having to shift focus and time away from its strengths.

flip flappers will of course have an explicit narrative, but i think hosanna's point is more wary about the show getting too caught up in its own mechanics, becoming boring and tiring like many of these do. flcl is actually a good reference point here, as something that pulls its plot into a theme without having to shift focus and time away from its strengths.

Which mechanics? The show only need to explain the role of the blue stones.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There are lots of pieces of Flip Flappers that will need to be unpacked. If it comes slow and fits in naturally that will be okay. They will need to talk some about who Papika is. It will have more stuff from the real world and isn't just going to be entirely fantastical, because that is where most of the supporting cast lies.

Gvitor

I think it'd be better if they just came out and said what "pure illusion" is, even if the purpose of the show is to be an anthology of adventures (which I don't think will be, by the way). Purposedly avoiding the subject (Cocona asks if it's a parallel world or a dream specifically, to which Papika just dodges the question) didn't work with me. A "show, don't tell" approach could work, but when you only show and don't tell anything, it really doesn't.

Again, it's just a pilot, but it has to have something for me to grab on, something that I can look and recommend to someone, and right now that something just isn't there. I'm not sure what is there, actually.

Shergal

Again, it's just a pilot, but it has to have something for me to grab on, something that I can look and recommend to someone, and right now that something just isn't there. I'm not sure what is there, actually.

the great animation and visuals, the environments, the atmosphere and adventure?

there's also a bunch of stuff scattered throughout the episode that will come back, for example the painting at the school and its connection with the dream cocona had at the beginning

Mailbox

Finally getting through the summer backlog. :/

Sweetness & Lightning [End]

Overall its pretty good. its soft and homely and works quite well. The only issues I'd say are that the episode structure is very repetitive (this is an issue in the manga as well) and the ending is quite weak.

I'm not sure I'd give it a recommendation though. But if you're just looking for another wholesome anime to fill your time, you could do a lot worse.

The hooks to me are more the atmosphere, the animation, and the character interactions. I'm interested in seeing more because the show looks fantastic, and the characters are nice, and because the episode really builds up an interesting atmosphere throughout the whole thing (colorful at times, but with a lot of melancholic feelings bubbling just beneath the surface). I thought the first half of the episode in particular was really just beautiful in terms of both how it looked and the sort of feelings that it was inspiring in me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
White people tv will be the death of us.

With CR, Amazon and Netflix steadily picking up anime distribution and even production, soon anime will be white people tv.

Narag

With CR, Amazon and Netflix steadily picking up anime distribution and even production, soon anime will be white people tv.

I hope they make live action versions of everything. Maybe then we'd get firehawk to watch this shit.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 12

how did you do it urobuchi

how did you make the mc
beating the crap out of his opponents with painted wood the whole time
one of the most epic things ever.

this is

i can't even

and now lin's going to

the main villain's motivations all along were

holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap

HHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gvitor

the great animation and visuals, the environments, the atmosphere and adventure?

there's also a bunch of stuff scattered throughout the episode that will come back, for example the painting at the school and its connection with the dream cocona had at the beginning

I have no doubt some stuff scattered through the episode will come back. Even though I dropped Rewrite, I could tell some of the stuff would be explained (if satisfying or not, that's another thing entirely). But I don't like when the first thing you do before setting anything up is to confuse the fuck out of the viewer.

Animation and visuals were good, but that wasn't enough to grab me. There's plenty of shitty anime with good visuals.

The hooks to me are more the atmosphere, the animation, and the character interactions. I'm interested in seeing more because the show looks fantastic, and the characters are nice, and because the episode really builds up an interesting atmosphere throughout the whole thing (colorful at times, but with a lot of melancholic feelings bubbling just beneath the surface). I thought the first half of the episode in particular was really just beautiful in terms of both how it looked and the sort of feelings that it was inspiring in me.

I'm not sure if you mean the part I'm about to describe, but to me the best part of the episode was when Papika went to grab Cocona's glasses. The tone suddenly shifted from this bubbly adventure to a dark world with actual stakes. I'm not sure this will pay off or if I read too much into that short sequence, but that's what I liked the most. And, again, if I knew anything about this world I'd be more invested on that short scene.

Quasar

The writing would instantly get labeled as much better, even when the scripts were 100% identical.

I'm probably the reverse. Certainly I find almost all live action supers unwatchable, but I lap up animated supers when given the chance.

Maybe I'd be able to stomach various so called US premium live action shows if I had a anime version.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd watch shadow puppet utena.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Extra! Extra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom