• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pale Wing for president!

Pale Wing has a better shot at US President than Kayoco Anne Patterson.

I should probably go see Shin Godzilla, but that means I gotta go to a movie theater...

Movie theaters are awful, and I've always hated them.

Depends where you are and what theaters are at your disposal, but theaters in general have been making a concerted effort to upgrade their facilities to provide reasons for people to come there instead of watching movies at home. A lot of them have moved to reserved seats as well. The theater I went to tonight had these very comfortable, large reclining seats, and the audience was well behaved.

Haikyu!! S3 Ep. 1

The AOTY is back. Amazing as always. Nishinoya and Ryu had the best intros as expected. Cant wait to see this match unfold.

Karasuno finally has a cheering section. I feel so proud ;_;

Going forward it's gonna feel a little strange, having Ukai be all enthusiastic and cheering for Karasuno due to Kazunari Tanaka passing away. Not sure whether all of the lines have been recorded already, because of how anime works and all, but yeah.

Gvitor

Lostorage incited WIXOSS 01

Well, that's one messed up card game. Yugioh took several episodes/seasons before shit actually started getting real, lol

I can see myself dropping this in the future, but I'll check the second episode when it releases.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Flip Flappers - 01

qKZNFnd.png
iYc0raR.png

Brave Witches - 01

Sound Euphonium S2 - 01

PAQYzDf.gif

I love this season. LOVE. IT.

Though Sound Euphonium S2 may get dropped, as I can already see they are still pushing the Kumiko/Childhood friend angle, as well as Reina's obsession with the teacher. Think I may hold off on continuing until I know for sure that those two opposing ships have been sunk beyond repair. Sooooo glad we finally got Brave Witches!!! I know you're out there somewhere Zach!

Trickster 2

Not the most amazing or exciting case, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. Seems like they're still focussed on setting the stage for everything, which is fine. I like the main cast, and Hanasaki and Kobayashi are both pretty good protagonists.

Kobayashi's force field thing forcing him to eat rats and cockroaches was pretty gross, even if we didn't have to see it.

Nanbaka 2

Lol at the warden's infatuation with Hajime. I was actually a bit on the fence with this show going in, but I've been entertained in both episodes. They have a colorful cast of characters that are all amusing so far.

blurr

What's the best non-seasonal TV anime you guys have seen this year so far? I think mine's still Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls season 2.

Stage On

I finally watched iron blooded orphans, feels like this is the best gundam in forever. Well tbh i didnt even give build fighters and Reconguista a chance. Last gundam i remember fully watching was 00.

As a huge Gundam fan I'd recommend watching Build Fighters. Yeah I know it's mainly a show blatantly meant to sell toys but when hasn't Gundam been about that? It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but despite it's flaws it and it's sequal series Build Fighters Try are really fun.

You can continue to avoid Reconguista like the plague. That show was a completely incoherent mess. Easily the worst Gundam show I've ever watched.

Stage On

G-Reco was better than Try.

Try had awesome hot blooded fights and a great sound track and while it's plot wasn't that good at least it was something that was easy to follow.

The only good thing about G-reco was it's first theme song. It's biggest flaw was that it made use of way to many made up words and nobody spoke or acted like a normal human being.

Narag

I seem to have stumbled into the Amazingly Awesome Fan Art thread.

Try had awesome hot blooded fights and a great sound track and while it's plot wasn't that good at least it was something that was easy to follow.

The only good thing about G-reco was it's first theme song. It's biggest flaw was that it made use of way to many made up words and nobody spoke or acted like a normal human being.

It had a bunch of nonsense fights with poor resolution (I'm looking at you, Tryon) and the best music was lifted directly from GBF.

Shin Gojira

PMGUBsS.png

Actual lines in this movie (paraphrased) -

There is still much work for me to do.

This country was rebuilt once before, and we will rebuild it again.

You can certainly tell Anno directed this, but it doesn't feel like he's sucking himself off. Its a very well shot movie that uses the sheer size of Godzilla extremely well, and while it does use and reference Evangelion it doesn't feel like a crutch. Aside from
Decisive Battle's use multiple times
the Evangelion stuff is more subtle and on the downlow. There's obvious shots that parallel Evangelion like the artillery and tanks, Godzilla in between power lines, etc etc but those are just good shots in general.

All in all a great movie but you have to know what you are getting into. Not a movie for a massive American audience at all, but I really respect that and the reverence it has for Gojira '54.

jgminto

G-Reco at least provided those absurd Tomino sensibilities that can't be gotten anywhere else, Try was a massive disappointment full of terrible characters and uninspired battles that couldn't match the original in a single aspect.

Stage On

It had a bunch of nonsense fights with poor resolution (I'm looking at you, Tryon) and the best music was lifted directly from GBF.

Come on it wouldn't be Gundam if it didn't have at least some nonsense fights. Plus it's theme songs were pretty rad.

G-Reco at least provided those absurd Tomino sensibilities that can't be gotten anywhere else, Try was a massive disappointment full of terrible characters and uninspired battles that couldn't match the original in a single aspect.

Try is classic shonen with lots of moments where a fight is heating up and then the theme music kicks in and something totally awesome happens. I'd take watching something that excites me like that any day over being board and confused by G-reco.

Thoraxes

All those words, factions, and concepts get established in the show though. Sure there's a lot of it, but it's typically explained upon.

Jex

You know, upon a lengthy re-watch of the series recently I'm going to have to have to disagree with you here. There's plenty of great things about G-Reco such as:

- The character designs
- The mecha designers
- Episode 10 is actually awesome
- Some (but certainly not all) of action sequences are spectacular
- The characters are memorable and distinct (even if there are far too characters by the end)
- The show is packed with memorable and innovative visual comedy
- The eye catches are great (hey, it's true!)

Which isn't to say that there's not lots of things wrong with the show - but to say that it has no good elements is just wrong.

Narag

Come on it wouldn't be Gundam if it didn't have at least some nonsense fights. Plus it's theme songs were pretty rad.

Can you really use this line of reasoning after condemning G.Reco for these franchise staples?

It's biggest flaw was that it made use of way to many made up words and nobody spoke or acted like a normal human being.

Both are arguably more Gundam than some measure of nonsense fights. For better or for worse, characters not acting or talking like normal people is a Gundam staple thanks to Tomino's influence. I think I'd be hard pressed to even come up with ten non-0080 characters that acted normally.

Stage On

All those words, factions, and concepts get established in the show though. Sure there's a lot of it, but it's typically explained upon.

Well it sure did a poor job of it then since I watched the entire thing and could barely tell what the heck was going on or why most of the time.

It can't just be because it's Tomino show since while there where a few minor things I had trouble with in the orginal Gundam movie trilogy I could understand most of it just fine.

Jex

Well it sure did a poor job of it then since I watched the entire thing and could barely tell what the heck was going on or why most of the time.

It can't just be because it's Tomino show since while there where a few minor things I had trouble with in the orginal Gundam movie trilogy I could understand most of it just fine.

That wasn't directed by Tomino though, so it's a different situation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's the best non-seasonal TV anime you guys have seen this year so far? I think mine's still Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls season 2.

Definitely Stranger Things.

Haly

I watched it after it came out and became a meme.

trying to remember my narag obligated shows and i forgot i watched Big O this year. I cant even remember the other show besides Rose of Versailles and LoGH, its not gundam wing cuz i dropkicked that shit into the trash where it belonged

edit: Oh it was Haibane Renmei. That was a good show.

I think Cobra is the only older thing I've watched so far this year, it's certainly a great watch though.

Cobra is my answer too. Quality pulp.

Also shout out to Mushishi: Suzu no Shizuku, which is probably my favourite, but I believe is an OVA/Movie that was screened in theatres and so doesn't fit the TV criteria.

Haly

Wing Zero Custom is the best gundam ever but yes Gundam Wing isn't bad because best gundam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom