• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Everyone should read New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

Its the brilliant sequel to the Gundam Wing anime.

Kiss him, not me - 01

T'was moderately funny.

It bothers me that Kae lost what must've been 10kg at the minimum within a week. That's basically impossible. Even if you starve yourself, 10kg fat would sustain you through 2-3 weeks with ez (well, energy-wise, health is another matter), even if you were actually active. Some likely small Japanese teenage girl that lies in bed for a week couldn't possible lose nearly as much weight.

Should that really bother me though when it's just some dumb Fujoshi premise? Yeh, I'd say so. Even in a dumb premise I want internal consistency as that's what makes the dumb premise potentially fun to begin with. Not only did this turn the characters into less believable human beings but when I see that the author couldn't even be bothered to spend 5mins to research and come up with a reasonable origin for Kae's weight loss, then my hopes for decent writing are being flushed right down the drain.

Anyways, I'll watch a bit more but my expectations are fairly low.

Lain

Idk if you have read about it, but the anime is missing one final sentence, 3 words long, that is only in the books. Totally changes everything lol.

Sölf;219885461 said:
If you really want to know ("Spoiler" or so, I guess):

Emilia:"Who is Rem?"

This greatly confuses me. The whole
Rem getting forgotten
was rewritten with the last events seeing
Rem surviving and being left behind to be healed and she's not mentioned in the last part of the last episode where Subaru confesses to Emilia etc.
Why would she say that?

Sölf

This greatly confuses me. The whole
Rem getting forgotten
was rewritten with the last events seeing
Rem surviving and being left behind to be healed and she's not mentioned in the last part of the last episode where Subaru confesses to Emilia etc.
Why would she say that?

The third arc has 2-3 epilogues that are missing from the anime. I only read one of those and grabbed some stuff off the internet. Spoilers for those:

Rem an Krusch are on their way back to the capital when they are attacked by two other High Priests: Greed and Gluttony. Gluttony created the White Whale and has similar powers and the High Priests win, which is the reason why everyone except Subaru has forgotten about Rem. And if the internet doesn't lie, Rem is in a coma and hasn't appeard since those events in the future arcs up to the current point of the novel.

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 16

Lol, cosplay fun, alien spy infiltration fun. Other than some character development and the end of the episode, nothing really happened here but it was a pretty nice episode anyway. I like how they've developed Ken as a character. Don't see how Sophie is going to be able to stay though. I mean she's a minor, so why would her "decision" matter. Then again this is anime...

The Pivot Stones look like they're part of some large weapon system or power source. Hopefully whatever it eventually assembles into is something cool and not lame. The alien subplot has been really drawn out so far, I hope when we learn who and what they really are, it doesn't feel like a cop out.

Kiss him, not me - 01

T'was moderately funny.

It bothers me that Kae lost what must've been 10kg at the minimum within a week. That's basically impossible. Even if you starve yourself, 10kg fat would sustain you through 2-3 weeks with ez (well, energy-wise, health is another matter), even if you were actually active. Some likely small Japanese teenage girl that lies in bed for a week couldn't possible lose nearly as much weight.

Should that really bother me though when it's just some dumb Fujoshi premise? Yeh, I'd say so. Even in a dumb premise I want internal consistency as that's what makes the dumb premise potentially fun to begin with. Not only did this turn the characters into less believable human beings but when I see that the author couldn't even be bothered to spend 5mins to research and come up with a reasonable origin for Kae's weight loss, then my hopes for decent writing are being flushed right down the drain.

I'll just point out that internal consistency of a narrative is something a bit different than adhering to the understood rules of the real world. That's why it's called "internal" consistency, because it's judged based on the standards it sets for itself rather than any external standards.

Kiss him, not me - 01

T'was moderately funny.

It is always a mistake to try to force real world consistency into an anime that may or may not have it own consistancy.

I mean look at your sentence "Should that really bother me though when it's just some dumb Fujoshi premise? Yeh, I'd say so." I mean really think about what you just wrote here.

I'll just point out that internal consistency of a narrative is something a bit different than adhering to the understood rules of the real world. That's why it's called "internal" consistency, because it's judged based on the standards it sets for itself rather than any external standards.

True, that was the wrong term to use there.

@ SliceSabre

Well, unless there's indication that says otherwise, I always assume a human actually behaves according to a human being. In Lord of the Rings no one thinks horses are inherently magical just because there's all these other fantasy elements.

And a comedy like Kiss him, not me has a premise that's mostly going to be humorous to me if I feel as though I'm dealing with believable characters and can actually somewhat empathize during the awkward moments etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Flip Flappers - 01

Brave Witches - 01

Sound Euphonium S2 - 01

http://i.imgur.com/PAQYzDf.gif

I love this season. LOVE. IT.

Though Sound Euphonium S2 may get dropped, as I can already see they are still pushing the Kumiko/Childhood friend angle, as well as Reina's obsession with the teacher. Think I may hold off on continuing until I know for sure that those two opposing ships have been sunk beyond repair. Sooooo glad we finally got Brave Witches!!! I know you're out there somewhere Zach!

You should just give up and watch The Duke of Burgandy already. :p

duckroll

Do you also get bothered when characters need to get to school or an airport or whatever but they are late, and the show exaggerates how little time they have, when it is physically impossible for them to make it?

Or when characters hit each other in comedies and bleed puddles of blood? What about genius teenage girls who look like 8 year olds for ~reasons~?

Aki-at

What's the best non-seasonal TV anime you guys have seen this year so far? I think mine's still Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls season 2.

Just because I've seen other high quality shows I'm going to mention them too.

3. Seirei no Moribito
2. Steins;gate
1. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I've seen a lot of high quality stuff in my backlog with a couple of months left!

Do you also get bothered when characters need to get to school or an airport or whatever but they are late, and the show exaggerates how little time they have, when it is physically impossible for them to make it?

Or when characters hit each other in comedies and bleed puddles of blood? What about genius teenage girls who look like 8 year olds for ~reasons~?

Well, depends.

Again, part is that it's already so damn lazy by the author to not even bother doing this weight loss bit right at all when Kae suddenly turning beautiful and attracting everyone is the key point where her life turns around and basically what's the series about.

If that doesn't have the slightest effort put into, why would much of anything else? Hence, my expectations are low going forward. It's not like the first episode did particularly well in any other regard. This is the first Fujoshi MC anime I've seen so I the jokes were mostly fresh, rather than particularly clever.

Lain

Sölf;219943481 said:
The third arc has 2-3 epilogues that are missing from the anime. I only read one of those and grabbed some stuff off the internet. Spoilers for those:

Rem an Krusch are on their way back to the capital when they are attacked by two other High Priests: Greed and Gluttony. Gluttony created the White Whale and has similar powers and the High Priests win, which is the reason why everyone except Subaru has forgotten about Rem. And if the internet doesn't lie, Rem is in a coma and hasn't appeard since those events in the future arcs up to the current point of the novel.

This crushes me. Damnit.

NDMGG nitpicking and making a big deal out of something not worth making a problem out of (the fact that she loses weight quickly is even in the show's description)?

Must be a day ending with the letter Y.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, depends.

Again, part is that it's already so damn lazy by the author to not even bother doing this weight loss bit right at all when Kae suddenly turning beautiful and attracting everyone is the key point where her life turns around and basically what's the series about.

If that doesn't have the slightest effort put into, why would much of anything else? Hence, my expectations are low going forward. It's not like the first episode did particularly well in any other regard. This is the first Fujoshi MC anime I've seen so I the jokes were mostly fresh, rather than particularly clever.
Honestly, it's better than the shitty Hollywood thing where a girl takes off her glasses, puts on a dress instead of a sweater, and is suddenly "hot".

#TeamGlasses

But really, I assume the author just wanted to get the story going and get past the boring ugly duckling stuff that is part of the shoujo cliche playbook.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Taking a literal read on the weight loss is not really useful in a show that is trying to be a comedy. I'm not sure how much the rest of you know about fujoshi culture (I'm an expert), but self-deprecation is a huge part of it. It's not like yuri fandom where you can become successful by pretending your interests are pure. If you pair boys together you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. When that is the tone it is obvious why they would start from a place where the protagonist is overweight.

The show is pretty terrible for other reasons though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, it's pure inasmuch as it's all about sexualizing and fetishizing gay identity without the complications of relationships and such. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only thing that ever bothers me about weight loss is when the before and after are exactly the same e.g. that one episode in Love Live where we're meant to believe Honoka and Hanayo have put on crazy kilos and yet look no different from before.

"If you ain't skin and bones you're overweight" - A. Nime

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only thing that ever bothers me about weight loss is when the before and after are exactly the same e.g. that one episode in Love Live where we're meant to believe Honoka and Hanayo have put on crazy kilos and yet look no different from before.

"If you ain't skin and bones you're overweight" - A. Nime
Well, yeah, that's just anime-girl "fat".

It still bothers me that Rihoko from Amagami SS is basically considered obese in her universe. Yeesh.

Decided to drop Sound! Eupnonium after all. It's alright and looks pretty but theres so many other shows I want to watch. Will give it a second whirl after the season is over though.

Instead I started Aomine Daiki's Bizarre Adventure (mc voice actor has to be Junichi Suwabe, didnt't check it though) aka Thunderbolt Fantasy and while I was little bit hesitant at first, by the end of second episode I was sold. Reminds me of a series I saw a long time ago. Music in this is lit af and its definitely the best looking puppet show I've ever witnessed.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume 02

I'm surprised how straight this is playing the rival aspect of this show. I mean yea it is a comedy and all but I like seeing how Agari is reacting to Koyori's incredible skill and how she has become a threat to her top spot in the club and how being number reflect on her self worth. Sure the Hokuto analysis stuff is kinda silly but otherwise they are just straight up playing table tennis without people resorting to superpowers.

sasuke_91

I saw this random scene on YouTube earlier:
https://youtu.be/nHd3xfDzTg8

And now I have to ask: Is this anime any good? Because that voice acting was on point. The dialogue was also kind of interesting (although it's probably just this one conversation and the rest is subpar?).
Just... want to hear your opinion, guys.

Edit: I guess this season is so empty I have to fill my list with random stuff xD

Qurupeke

And now I have to ask: Is this anime any good? Because that voice acting was on point. The dialogue was also kind of interesting (although it's probably just this one conversation and the rest is subpar?).

Edit: I guess this season is so empty I have to fill my list with random stuff xD

It was a fun show. But that was like the best scene in it.

I liked it but that is the best scene by a considerable distance, it also suffers from an ending that feels rushed and inconclusive at the same time. I still want a season 2

Keijo !!!!!!

I'm fairly certain that my enjoyment of this show confirms that I have poor taste in anime. This won't stop me from watching. The absurdity of the show is part of its charm. I feel a strong connection with the cheap nature of the main character as well. Maybe the gimmick will get old, but for now I'm really enjoying the show.

Bloodivores

I don't know why they bother with cliffhangers if they are just going to spoil them in the next episode preview. I am a sucker for survival games so this show has me hooked for at least as long as that's a thing. The rate at which people die makes me think it'll soon be dropped.

Drifters

This show has one more episode to get awesome. I am in the middle of playing Onimusha 3 and that game has the very last Nobunaga that I care to ever see. The guy is super played out. Regional Japanese humor doesn't really tickle my fancy.

To be hero - 02

xCIRhuF.jpg

blurr

How is that non-seasonal? Didn't you watch it when it came out? I think he's asking for stuff we watch on a backlog or something that isn't running on a "current" schedule this year.

Yep this is what I meant.

Lots of responses, I just thought we often get competitive or down-right ironic if it's this year's stuff, non-seasonal would bring up interesting shows to light even if you posted about them earlier.

It occurs to me I haven't done giant round up of ep1 yet so what they hey let's do this

All Out!
I played rugby, badly, as a young teenager and the fact that Japan was one of the few nations outside Western Europe and former English colonies to play has always intrigued me. I doubt I'll found out why in this fairly generic show but if they can up the entertainment value I'll stick with it.

Verdict: gets 1 or 2 more to hook me but dropped if not

Brave Witches
Significantly fewer loli baiting shots in this one means I'll give the show a chance but I'm still not keen on the transformed witch costumes or the aliens so

Classicaloid
No idea how to respond to this one at all other than to say I loathe the whiny empathy free male friend who seems to think that the protagonist has sold her beloved grandmother's house to wreckers solely to inconvenience him, f__k that guy. Damn that scene at the end was very pretty though so for purely for the bubblegum value

Verdict: Pretty enough to keep for now

Drifters
Fights were pretty the long conversation where somehow no-one discusses the bizarre corridor or elves was not so hot. I liked the animation so as long as the plot can get out of the way I'll probably keep this

Verdict: Pretty enough to keep for now

Nanbaka
Did not take to this at all, it clearly relies on the characters and I wasn't feeling them. If the buzz proves significant I might return but otherwise

Verdict: Dropped

Touken Ranbu
First episode had the marvellous historical fight sequence to go along with the usual freemium adaption guff ('Master sent us a paid item, wooo!') but the second episode had no well animated fights so

To Be Hero
Like a lot of this companies work it's rough in places but I actually laughed out loud at several points so I reckon I'll keep this one going until the end.

Verdict: Keep

Poco's Udon World
Hmmm not really feeling this but I'm willing to give it more time, the conflict over inheriting a family business I can relate to but it felt a bit off somehow that I can't quite express.

Occultic: Nine
23 mins to tell me that there's been a killing, there's a psychic girl who places curses, a camp gay stereotype who runs a bar and that the central protagonist may be the most annoying chuuni character I have ever heard or seen. The pacing is at 200% but only so they can cram more noise rather than plot in, the scene in the cafe at the end where the protagonist basically admits he wants everyone else to do all of the work producing stuff for his aggregator blog so he can laze around blew my mind. Ryouka is all of the bad things everyone else has said, they need to either start commenting on the trope of impossibly large breasts or have her suffer actual back problems but given how the camera can't tear itself from them I'm guessing I'll be waiting a long time for either.

Verdict: Maybe one more to see if that protagonist takes a breath for once

March Comes In Like A Lion

I really quite liked this, I get the complaints of tonal whiplash but I guess in my mind I'm accepting this as the protagonist compartmentalising his life as a side effect of his depression and loneliness so he's lively and engaged with the 3 sisters but is otherwise withdrawn and lethargic. I'm guessing the rigid adherence to the manga chapter format will pay off over time

Verdict: Keep

blurr

I'm considering picking one more show, currently on 3gatsu, Hibike and Nyanbo.

Thinking about Yuri on Ice, thoughts on this? and if there are any good shorts (speaking of which I have to watch Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou).

edit: Oh it was Haibane Renmei. That was a good show.

DAYUM I had no idea you watched this! one of my favorites

Also, best film I saw this year is definitely Tale of Princess Kaguya, what a masterpiece.

Qurupeke

I'm considering picking one more show, currently on 3gatsu, Hibike and Nyanbo.

Thinking about Yuri on Ice, thoughts on this? and if there are any good shorts (speaking of which I have to watch Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou).

Great animation and the background art was really good. The first episode was certainly nice, though I liked 3gatsu more. They feel like similar shows and yet they're so different.

Also, I'd recommend Girlish Number.

blurr

Great animation and the background art was really good. The first episode was certainly nice, though I liked 3gatsu more. They feel like similar shows and yet they're so different.

Also, I'd recommend Girlish Number.

I will look into it but is Yuri on Ice a drama of sorts?

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 01

Wacky art style is refreshing and it's idea that making Tonkatsu being similar to being a DJ only compliments it further. Very nice voice over work.

Thud

Also, best film I saw this year is definitely Tale of Princess Kaguya, what a masterpiece.

I saw it last year in theaters. Would even place it above Grave of the Fireflies.

That reminds me, I need to watch Kaguya again on bluray. Part of my ghibli frankenstein collection.

Sölf

It's okay. Not really good, not really bad, fun to watch but you won't miss anything if you don't watch it. I had my fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom