• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon Sun&Moon PV3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawFb1MoWio

CrLYqFo.png
Holy fuck I knew there as a reason they brought ashs mom

She gonna ntr both Mr mime and prof oak with Alola oak.

Jokes aside, ash looks super young and playful in this series. Don't care to watch though, I've been burned off by this damn show

Copper

Flip Flappers 02

Art direction is great. My only worry is if they can keep a story going. Having every episode be a separate adventure could get a little repetitive.

Might give this Keijo!!!!!!!! a try everyones talking about.

Jex

[Gi(a)rligh Number] -1

Very good.

[To Be Hero] - 1

The crude humour here is reminiscent of something like Azazel-San, but unfortunately this series isn't really as sharp as that.

[Keijo!!!!] - 2

Very, very boring up until the last 3 minutes which were actually entertaining because they played into the core conceit of the series.

This episode was largely dull on every front. The direction was extremely bland and the subject matter was the same tiresome training you get in every sports show.

In a normal sports show we would probably be able to get through that kind of material if we cared about the characters but the cast here is thoroughly forgettable.

Deadly

Keijo 2
They're progressing like really fast. It's unfortunate so much stuff has to be skipped. But yeah the episode kinda sucked until the end.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Flip Flappers Episode 2:

Okay, so we know what FlipFlap is nominally and I will state this in the hear and now, I am bettering that the so called real world is actually another dream layer.

Flip Flappers 02

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . The character dynamics (and the rest of the script truthfully)in this are dull as dishwater. Next episode I'm gonna take a shot everytime a needless "Cocona !!" is spewed out

You must hate Casshern Sins then.

Flip Flappers 02

Art direction is great. My only worry is if they can keep a story going. Having every episode be a separate adventure could get a little repetitive.

They have introduced elements of an overarching narrative, most notably with the quest for fragments wanted "to liberate Pure Illusion" by the shady Dr. Salt and his team. That will almost certainly be built into a climax towards the end of the show. But I wouldn't have a problem with purely episodic adventures that keep up the level of creativity and fun we see in episodes 1 and 2. Contemporary TV has conditioned viewers to expect all TV series to have grand story arcs, tight continuity, and lots of mysteries constantly being teased. Marvel has even managed to import this style of storytelling into films with the "cinematic universe". Thus there has become this stigma around episodic narratives, as if a collection of short stories is artistically inferior to hefty, deeply interwoven novels (or perhaps it is more apt to reference the complicated canon of superhero comics). I reject that notion. There's a lot of value in episodic storytelling.

They have introduced elements of an overarching narrative, most notably with the quest for fragments wanted "to liberate Pure Illusion" by the shady Dr. Salt and his team. That will almost certainly be built into a climax towards the end of the show. But I wouldn't have a problem with purely episodic adventures that keep up the level of creativity and fun we see in episodes 1 and 2. Contemporary TV has conditioned viewers to expect all TV series to have grand story arcs, tight continuity, and lots of mysteries constantly being teased. Marvel has even managed to import this style of storytelling into films with the "cinematic universe". Thus there has become this stigma around episodic narratives, as if a collection of short stories is artistically inferior to hefty, deeply interwoven novels (or perhaps it is more apt to reference the complicated canon of superhero comics). I reject that notion. There's a lot of value in episodic storytelling.

Thank you for saying this.

I think the reason why I enjoyed Smile Precure as much as I did was because the simple, straightforward story along with the antics of the characters felt like such a breath of fresh air to me. There's a certain liberty in just watching characters be themselves, with little bits of development here and there.

I like this style every now and then. Because once I get myself saddled into the status quo, when shit starts to go down that changes things, I find myself getting even more invested in the narrative.

I can't stand it when people criticize a show just for being "MOTW" and say there's no story.

Sterok

Flip Flappers 2

Eh, still not feeling this. The leads still have no chemistry together. I'm okay with Cocona as a character, but I don't buy that she secretly enjoys these adventures. Papika's boundless energy isn't clicking with me the way these characters normally do. Uexkull was neat though. The adventure itself wasn't compelling at all until the end when the crazy stuff started happening. Animation is still neat, and I like the OP, but I'm not seeing why the hype was justified.

jman2050

Gi(a)rlish Number 1

I quite enjoyed this. It manages to be cold and cynical without becoming dreary or exhausting. And funny too.

I like how Chitose was introduced as your typical naive optimistic MC surrounded by petty assholes except no wait, she's also kind of a petty asshole too.

Everyone's a petty asshole. And it's great.

All Out!! ep.2
It's suprisingly alright. If it focuses on matches more and less on the humor side of things it might be decent all the way too.

Keijo!!!!!!!! ep.2
Nothing special until the end of the episode where I lol'ed a few times. More of that please.

I had finally watched Avatar last month, and Woofington had mentioned this was a good thread to ask about recommendations. Shows or movies are cool

I'm mainly interested in stuff with more realistic "grounded" art (although I have enjoyed Afro Samurai). Basically more like this
And as far as away as possible from the stuff in the OT, Pokemon, Naruto, etc.

I got Ghost In The Shell, Akira, and Sword of the Stranger on my wishlist, to start.

Also this
Asuka vs Mass Production Evangelions

Kz5xrj2.gif

Sh6Gibx.gif

VS1TtgE.gif
looks awesome. What series is that?

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 02
I have to agree, that most of the episode was rather boring. The training montage at the beginning killed me though and the ending was ridiculous as hell. God, I love this show.

Copper

You must hate Casshern Sins then.

I'm fine with episodic adventures if they are done well. But episode 2 acted like the first ending never even happened.

Ascheroth

I had finally watched Avatar last month, and Woofington had mentioned this was a good thread to ask about recommendations. Shows or movies are cool

I'm mainly interested in stuff with more realistic "grounded" art (although I have enjoyed Afro Samurai). Basically more like this

I got Ghost In The Shell, Akira, and Sword of the Stranger on my wishlist, to start.

Also this

I'm not sure if you're only looking for actiony stuff, but Mushishi is fantastic.

I'm fine with episodic adventures if they are done well. But episode 2 acted like the first ending never even happened.

There are actually some nods to the post-ED scene of episode 1 (which was the worst part of the show so far, honestly): Papika asks Cocona if she is alright and proclaims that the fragment is safe as well. So it acknowledges that scene as having happened, even if it opens in a "was it all a dream?" manner that doesn't directly follow up on it.

Of course, Samurai Champloo had an episode where everyone died in a big mushroom cloud at the end but they were all fine the next episode.

Aki-at

Monster if you want a mystery / psychological thriller TV series, you might have trouble finding it though.

I'd also recommend Black Lagoon too if you want straight up action.

phaze

Also this

House of Five Leaves, Mushishi, Mouryo no Hako, Shigurui, Shin Sekai Yori.

I'd advise staying away from Evangelion for the time being.

Squishy3

Also this

You might enjoy something like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad as well, which is a grounded drama and a sort of coming of age story surrounded by music. It's got excellent songs although Funimation removed the Beatles cover that's performed in the series in their release. The beginning might be a bit rough for someone who hasn't really delved into anime before, though.

The other downside is it'll never be continued probably considering it's been like 12 years.

Thud

You might enjoy something like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad as well, which is a grounded drama and a sort of coming of age story surrounded by music. It's got excellent songs although Funimation removed the Beatles cover that's performed in the series in their release. The beginning might be a bit rough for someone who hasn't really delved into anime before, though.

The other downside is it'll never be continued probably considering it's been like 12 years.

The manga is on a whole different level. Never felt more music without hearing any sounds. Just expressions and connecting your own sound that fits the imagery.

sasuke_91

The manga is on a whole different level. Never felt more music without hearing any sounds. Just expressions and connecting your own sound that fits the imagery.
Same for me with Kids on the Slope.

Since he likes Sword of the Stranger, he might enjoy the Rurouni Kenshin OVA. One of the best OVAs I've ever seen, but imo it's a lot more powerful if you've seen the TV series. That one's the kind of Shounen anime he doesn't want though.

Gi(a)rlish Number - 01
That was pretty cool actually. I really like Chitose's reaction faces, the voice acting is also good (would be pretty ironic if it was otherwise, wouldn't it?). The characters are also likable since they're not just your typical cute and naive girls I hate so much. I went into this without knowing anything. Is this going to turn into an idol anime? If so, that would be pretty off-putting.

Squishy3

Yeah, I went and finished the manga and that ending is really good. It's a shame because they probably planned to continue it because they recorded the next song (you can find it on Youtube) but it just never happened for whatever reason.

Clov

Also this

Ghost in the Shell is fantastic. Be sure to watch the follow-up, Innocence as well. It's a bit polarizing, but personally I really like it. If you like these, you may also enjoy the first set of Patlabor OVAs and the first two movies, as they're from the same director.

As others have pointed out, the gifs are from End of Evangelion. Watch the TV series, Neon Genesis Evangelion before you watch that. EoE is an alternate conclusion to the TV series.

As for other recommendations, that depends on what sort of anime you're looking for. Keeping in mind your taste in art style, for a great action anime you should check out the Cowboy Bebop TV series and film, as well as the movie Redline. For something more like a psychological thriller, Satoshi Kon's film Perfect Blue is top of the line. I'd also recommend looking at his other works; Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and the TV series Paranoia Agent. His works can be quite surreal, but if you're okay with that I think you'll enjoy them. If you're okay with slower paced films, I'd recommend giving Jin-Roh a look.

Let me know if you're okay with more cartoonish or surreal art styles as well, since there's a lot of amazing stuff I could recommend that falls under those labels.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Miss Bernard said 02
Someone gets head slammed for quoting Sturgeon's Law this week, so now I have to recommend this show.

Cornbread78

All Out ep.2
Fun, I guess. I thought shorty was going to break one on his ankles, lol. Oh, the irony.

Oh and tree trunk has an annoying personality.

Evangelion is quite polarising I'll tell you that. You have the folks that love it, and those who hate it. I liked it alot, and respect the shit out of it and love it or not, it is a huge part of anime history, and something that those who care should definitely watch when given the chance. The recent movies (particularly the third) can go to hell though.

I wouldn't really classify Evangelion as polarizing. Yeah, there are some haters, and it being a popular series means that some of them are more vocal than normal, but a handful of haters doesn't make something that's mostly very well liked polarizing. (See also: me and TTGL)

Now the Rebuild movies could probably be classified as polarizing. Sword Art Online is polarizing. Kill La Kill is polarizing. G-Reco is polarizing.

But Evangelion? That's something that is pretty well regarded as a quality title by most people who have seen it.

I wouldn't really classify Evangelion as polarizing. Yeah, there are some haters, and it being a popular series means that some of them are more vocal than normal, but a handful of haters doesn't make something that's mostly very well liked polarizing. (See also: me and TTGL)

Now the Rebuild movies could probably be classified as polarizing. Sword Art Online is polarizing. Kill La Kill is polarizing. G-Reco is polarizing.

But Evangelion? That's something that is pretty well regarded as a quality title by most people who have seen it.

Are you just saying that only bad shows can be polarizing? A larger proportion of watchers probably dislike Eva than like G-Reco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom