• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just want to introduce myself quick. I'm hoping to have the time to really join the anime community on here. I'm in a few other communities, but I'd like to find one a little more critical than say, The IGN Anime Club, or Anime Fever, where it's mostly "Like for Fairy Tale Boobs" Laugh for "Hinata's Boobs."

I run an anime review website with my Wife, been married almost a full year now. When we started dating she got me into watching seasonal anime. I generally like everything from Showa, Joker Game, to Keijo, Netoge. I enjoy a wide range of genres, but I do always feel like there's a right and wrong way to go about the execution.

This season my Wife and I (we almost always watch anime together) tried something like 35+ of the anime, and now've narrowed it down to like 20 shows (including shorts.) So we tend to watch a lot every season, partly because we run the aforementioned review website and also because we just really love anime.

My favorites from the season so far are: Keiji, Girlish Number, Yuri!!! On Ice, and Magical Girl Raising Project.

Amazon US is treating it worse, because they haven't posted the first episode yet and of course there's no indication that they'll be streaming it - they haven't posted any episodes of Vivid Strike or Chi's Sweet Adventure either, both shows from the current season which Amazon has international streaming rights for.

If you've got a UK Amazon Prime subscription, however, you're good to go.

Yeah I really hate that about Amazon, I never know whether to get excited to try their solo offering every season or pack it up because there's nothing. It's frustrating, doubly so because I'm trying to review this stuff, and it sort feels like they almost don't care about generating success with these shows.

Flip Flappers ep.2
So, yeah.. I think I need to smoke a ton of Chronic or pop some schrooms to enjoy this show more. I thought Tatami Galaxy was eccentric in art and color, but this goes above and beyond 20x over that.

Also, did I just see tentacle shenanegins going on next week? This guy has some slight perversions, lol.

Flip Flappers definitely got super weird in the second episode. I generally liked the first, I dunno that I enjoyed the second all that much. I can definitely agree it feels like a weird trip would be needed to get everything out of it lol.

Keijo!!!!!!!! 02

Truly the greatest anime of our generation, guys

Vaccum butt canon got me laughing, but I was already in tears from the butt exercises early in the episode. This shit is so ridiculous it comes right back around of being fantastic.

My wife and I are really enjoying this one (her a little less than me.) We both feel it's in the same vein as Food Wars, so over the top it's good. She's sad though that it doesn't seem to be proofing naysayers wrong. She wishes the plot, not "plot" was stronger and offered a bit more substance just to get the detractors to come around on it. I like it for what it is though.

The Great Passage 1

This was the show out of the fall season I was most looking forward to, and the first episode has certainly justified my hype. Perhaps the best overall animation of any show this season - lots of consistent attention to detailed character movement in every scene. The direction is strong, and more inventive than I expected from Kuroyanagi with lots of interesting shots and use of visual symbolism in the midst of a realistic setting. The material itself is unusual not just for anime but for live action as well - what's the last TV show or movie you watched about making a dictionary? The main characters introduced in this opening episode are interesting in grounded ways, particularly the scruffy, bookish salesman who gets recruited to this dictionary project. If the quality keeps up, this could end up being the 2016 TV anime that surpasses Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - which would be appropriate, since the original character designs here are from Rakugo Shinjuu's mangaka!

Well now I really really want to see this. Doubly crossing my fingers that Amazon US grabs it. Thanks for the heads up! (Unless, of course, you know, it doesn't get picked up by Amazon US, then I can't help but loathe you for making me excited :p)

Just found out Girlish Number is based off Wataru Watari's LN. That explains quite a bit lol.

More importantly, why wasn't this in my radar earlier.

Is it? I guess that kinda makes sense even if the Light Novel isn't actually out yet. Came up with the idea, Anime rolled with it, his official Light Novel version (and the Manga version) hit Jan and then March next year.

Aki-at

Enjoy the stay Vald, we have an end of topic competition where whoever posts the most ends up winning a sick prize. See spoiler tag for further information.

IpDAgCi.gif

Watamote - 1

This show is too painful for me to watch.

Cornbread78

Re:Zero | ep 4
These characters and voices are grinding my gears. Better make a quick turnaround or that's it.

They show gets very character centric pretty soon, but in a good way....

Hi all, just want to introduce myself quick. I'm hoping to have the time to really join the anime community on here. I'm in a few other communities, but I'd like to find one a little more critical than say, The IGN Anime Club, or Anime Fever, where it's mostly "Like for Fairy Tale Boobs" Laugh for "Hinata's Boobs."

My favorites from the season so far are: Keiji, Girlish Number, Yuri!!! On Ice, and Magical Girl Raising Project.

First of all,
Z5uyhnk.gif

kick your shoes off and have some fun!

Now to business.... Yeah, a bunch of these guys are definitely ultra critical when is comes to seasonal shows and will definitely call a turd a turd, sometimes overly so, lol. They are far less tolerable on weak anime and live to trash all things Key and SAO (bastards all of them...Clannad is the GOAT!!!)

Oh and sometimes we have specific show OTs during the season. Below is the one for Magical Girl Raising Project, which you are enjoying currently, and has several people watching the show and talking about it.

Magical Girl Raising Project OT

And again, welcome!

Enjoy the stay Vald, we have an end of topic competition where whoever posts the most ends up winning a sick prize. See spoiler tag for further information.

IpDAgCi.gif

Watamote - 1

I've always wanted some "It's Fucking Nothing" does it come in a variant color scheme too?

And I agree about Watamote lol. My wife and I loved it, but were always cringing so hard from beginning to end. I just feel, so sorry for her =/

Welcome Vald!

Thanks!

First of all,
Z5uyhnk.gif

kick your shoes off and have some fun!

Now to business.... Yeah, a bunch of these guys are definitely ultra critical when is comes to seasonal shows and will definitely call a turd a turd, sometimes overly so, lol. They are far less tolerable on weak anime and live to trash all things Key and SAO (bastards all of them...Clannad is the GOAT!!!)

Oh and sometimes we have specific show OTs during the season. Below is the one for Magical Girl Raising Project, which you are enjoying currently, and has several people watching the show and talking about it.

Magical Girl Raising Project OT

And again, welcome!

Sweet, although I'm a bit less... potentially hyperbolic. I try to be fair and recognize if something isn't for me (I think All Out!!, from the first episode, looks like a solid show for the season, but it's personally not something I really gravitate towards.) Although I don't have a problem talking about how poor SAO is.

And thanks for the link! I'll definitely try and contribute to any of those if I can. Adjusting to marriage, running a website, writing a novel, working through a game backlog, and building Gundam models eats up a lot of time. But I really want to find more people who I can actually discuss anime with so hopefully I can squeeze it all in. Probably can once Nov 8th is over and this freaking election doesn't have been pensive every other night.

Btw anyone else here still watching Saiki K? My wife loves the show, and I generally like it quite a bit too. I've really enjoyed it's balls to the wall speed humor, and criticism/funpoking at the shonen genre, although I do sometimes feel like the back end is losing a little steam.

Also, second question: In some of the other groups I'm in there's a real divide between subbed and dubbed viewers. In fact there's been a little arguing over Funimation's new dub line up, its delay time, and how much that all matters. Now, I personally suspect that most seasonal anime viewers generally watch the seasonal line up subbed rather than waiting for the dubs, but I was curious which way this community leans?

It should be, though there's always a chance of Funimation's authoring making it worse.

Is their BD/DVD authoring the same quality as their streams? Because those streams are some RealPlayer circa 1998 era crap. Now that they're the home for dubs I'm thinking of dropping them for TheAnimeNetwork but right now they can only stream like 9 titles to Ireland

Edit:
Hi Vlad! Welcome the subbed/dubbed thing doesn't appear to be a hot topic on here and I've seen folks recommending both. I lean subbed mostly because I started to hear the same voice actors in english dubs and it got distracting for me. Although at this point I'm starting to recognise some japanese voice actors so I may have merely time shifted that issue!

Enjoy and I'm going to recommend Humanity Has Declined and Gunslinger Girls because I think your rapidly growing backlog of recommendations could do with being just a bit longer ;)

blurr

I run an anime review website with my Wife, been married almost a full year now. When we started dating she got me into watching seasonal anime. I generally like everything from Showa, Joker Game, to Keijo, Netoge. I enjoy a wide range of genres, but I do always feel like there's a right and wrong way to go about the execution.

This season my Wife and I (we almost always watch anime together) tried something like 35+ of the anime, and now've narrowed it down to like 20 shows (including shorts.) So we tend to watch a lot every season, partly because we run the aforementioned review website and also because we just really love anime.

Welcome!

Is it? I guess that kinda makes sense even if the Light Novel isn't actually out yet. Came up with the idea, Anime rolled with it, his official Light Novel version (and the Manga version) hit Jan and then March next year.

Well, allow me to correct myself, it was originally a serial novel on Dengeki G's Magazine.

I was surprised because of the perspective the show had on Light Novel and its adaptations in general heh. Watari is synonymous with the medium.

Watamote - 1

Somebody once told me that Watamote was funny. I fail to see what was funny.

I remember a lot of people here liking Watamote. I finished and stepped away angry. They could have changed up the last two minutes of the final episode and I could have at least said "alright, at least there was a small payoff." But no, they doubled down on nonsense.

blurr

Watamote's fantastic.

IIRC it had a lot of creative visuals for reactions and some very impressive moments (case in point: transition to OP in episode 10).

Relateable to a painful degree but I haven't really reached a point I had to stop watching midway. I was actually impressed at the number of things it picked up on Kuroki's behavior.

Edit:
Hi Vlad! Welcome the subbed/dubbed thing doesn't appear to be a hot topic on here and I've seen folks recommending both. I lean subbed mostly because I started to hear the same voice actors in english dubs and it got distracting for me. Although at this point I'm starting to recognise some japanese voice actors so I may have merely time shifted that issue!

Enjoy and I'm going to recommend Humanity Has Declined and Gunslinger Girls because I think your rapidly growing backlog of recommendations could do with being just a bit longer ;)

Yeah my wife complains of the same issues. She's real night owl so she watches a LOT of anime after I've fallen asleep. She often complains that too many voices are familiar to her and it's something, as I generally watch more sub than dub, that irks me too. I also feel like dubs, especially Funimations, don't always really cast an actor that fits the role. For example we briefly tried the My Hero Academia dub, but I felt like Chris Sabat just wasn't the right choice. I personally wanted someone with a little more, and it's hard to describe, "Whimsy" and "youth" to the voice, while maintaining a fairly booming range.

And thanks for the recommendations! I hadn't heard of Humanity Has Declined before, I'll need to look into that. I had started watching Gunslinger Girls years ago, and I was enjoying it, but I think something came up and I haven't been able to get back to it yet. (I still have unopened Turn A Gundam, Gundam X, Berserk Movies, Eva 3.33, etc. all sitting on my shelf.) =(

Welcome!

Well, allow me to correct myself, it was originally a serial novel on Dengeki G's Magazine.

I was surprised because of the perspective the show had on Light Novel and its adaptations in general heh. Watari is synonymous with the medium.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. Everyone was calling it an original when I first started following it before the season started.

I think Watari is poking some fun at himself (maybe even some truth about the industry too). I'm a writer too (sadly still unpublished) and a lot in the field have a very self-deprecating mindset.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 28

Caught up and hyped for next ep. Hope jojo fans didn't mislead me!!

jman2050

Somebody once told me that Watamote was funny. I fail to see what was funny.

It's funny to laugh at yourself!

You may end up in a catatonic existential crisis of depression in the process but in the end, you'll still laugh.

Because that's all I hav-- YOU I mean that's all YOU have.

Thud

Btw anyone else here still watching Saiki K? My wife loves the show, and I generally like it quite a bit too. I've really enjoyed it's balls to the wall speed humor, and criticism/funpoking at the shonen genre, although I do sometimes feel like the back end is losing a little steam.

Yes, I enjoy watching Saiki K. Especially the episode that's basically a parody on Shueisha and weekly shonen jump. There's not much to talk about tho.

It does make me want to pick up Gintama again later haha.

One of my favorite anime/manga series is also a gag series, called Sexy Commando Gaiden. Pretty weird stuff and poorly drawn, but it's comedy gold to me.

Ascheroth

Welcome Vald!

Is their BD/DVD authoring the same quality as their streams? Because those streams are some RealPlayer circa 1998 era crap. Now that they're the home for dubs I'm thinking of dropping them for TheAnimeNetwork but right now they can only stream like 9 titles to Ireland

Edit:

But hearing more Sugita, Koyasu, Wakamoto, Sawashiro, Mizuki, etc is not an issue, it's a bonus! :p

Cornbread78

Sweet, although I'm a bit less... potentially hyperbolic. I try to be fair and recognize if something isn't for me (I think All Out!!, from the first episode, looks like a solid show for the season, but it's personally not something I really gravitate towards.) Although I don't have a problem talking about how poor SAO is.

And thanks for the link! I'll definitely try and contribute to any of those if I can. Adjusting to marriage, running a website, writing a novel, working through a game backlog, and building Gundam models eats up a lot of time. But I really want to find more people who I can actually discuss anime with so hopefully I can squeeze it all in. Probably can once Nov 8th is over and this freaking election doesn't have been pensive every other night.

Also, second question: In some of the other groups I'm in there's a real divide between subbed and dubbed viewers. In fact there's been a little arguing over Funimation's new dub line up, its delay time, and how much that all matters. Now, I personally suspect that most seasonal anime viewers generally watch the seasonal line up subbed rather than waiting for the dubs, but I was curious which way this community leans?

Oh, I forgot to ask,

Have you or your wife watched Clanned/ Clannad After Story yet?

Clov

It's definitely better than thier streams, but it's inconsistent. I have a few Funimation BDs that look great, but many others look mediocre to poor.

phaze

Yuri on (thin) Ice 02

Not a fan of the thoroughly comedic tint this show is going for. I know it was there in there first episode but it seemed more ... restrained compared to this ep, when there was barely any more serious moments The pace struck me as a bit too frenetic too.

-----

Drifters opening is pretty dope.

blurr

The Great Passage 01

Can you believe we are having another potentially fantastic character drama in the same vein as Rakugo this year. Much like how it went with Girlish Number, I was very excited shortly after I started watching it. The Great Passage is giving the same vibes with impressive direction and on top of that it fills in the void that Rakugo left for me with great character animation - character postures and body language were on point. This is what I wanted to see in Rakugo.

I love that they are tackling an unconventional topic like Dictionary publishing - something I had barely ever given a thought for but the theme on "words" and what they mean definitely has my intrigue. The idea of studying words and their meanings sprouted when I began studying a new language, it opened up avenues I hadn't thought about. In that sense, The Great Passage is very amusing.

The Great Passage 1

This was the show out of the fall season I was most looking forward to, and the first episode has certainly justified my hype. Perhaps the best overall animation of any show this season - lots of consistent attention to detailed character movement in every scene. The direction is strong, and more inventive than I expected from Kuroyanagi with lots of interesting shots and use of visual symbolism in the midst of a realistic setting. The material itself is unusual not just for anime but for live action as well - what's the last TV show or movie you watched about making a dictionary? The main characters introduced in this opening episode are interesting in grounded ways, particularly the scruffy, bookish salesman who gets recruited to this dictionary project. If the quality keeps up, this could end up being the 2016 TV anime that surpasses Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - which would be appropriate, since the original character designs here are from Rakugo Shinjuu's mangaka!

OH DAMN very nice to hear!

While making a dictionary is definitely unconventional the story itself is analogous to Rakugo in the sense that a master is looking for a disciple to sustain the "art" in a day and age where youth are showing little to no interest in it except of course in this case, the master approached the disciple. I wonder if narrative-wise The Great Passage scales up to Rakugo's ambitions.

Drifters opening is pretty dope.

Fun fact

Clov

I'm so hyped to get out of this class and watch The Great Passage. Very happy to see that the impressions have been positive so far!

Oh, I forgot to ask,

Have you or your wife watched Clanned/ Clannad After Story yet?

Neither of us have actually. Wife hasn't been interested because she prefers comedies, or at least none depressing/sad anime and she's heard it's quite tearful.

I was going to try it a few years ago, but I think at the time I only had access to Netflix and they only had after story. Seemed a bit stupid to start there. I do want to somehow fit it in my schedule eventually though.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 29

aight that was pretty cool. Surprised about the filler talk in the OT about the previous eps since the janken kid, the alien, the dice game, and the highway star fight all felt like parts of the same little story surrounding josuke & rohan.

Cornbread78

Neither of us have actually. Wife hasn't been interested because she prefers comedies, or at least none depressing/sad anime and she's heard it's quite tearful.

I was going to try it a few years ago, but I think at the time I only had access to Netflix and they only had after story. Seemed a bit stupid to start there. I do want to somehow fit it in my schedule eventually though.

As a young couple it fits perfectly and is well worth the vested time, imo.

tumblr_o2zlpqbYyv1tenkoyo1_500.gif

The first season is more SoL with a lot of slapstick comedy than anything else. There definitely is some character drama mixed in as they introduce the back stories for each of the characters, but the real tears don't flow until After Story.

tumblr_ny994pzq281upe1ufo1_540.gif

After Story is just an amazing full circle of the story were everything that build up in the first season spills over into the second. It takes the story from the typical SoL high school setting and into the real world beyond. I won't say much since you have never watched it, but yeah, it's definitely worth the experience to watch, especially with someone close to you.

There is a reason it is ranked one of the greatest animes ever, (most won't give it as much praise here....blah) however, it truly is a great experience with some really good life advice built into it.

Ascheroth

FlipFlappers #2

Flappedy flip. I didn't know that many colors existed. Is this what HDR is for people without HDR displays? I always new anime was always a step ahead!

Drifters #2

I think my consciousness drifted away in the beginning. Action was not bad, comedy still sucks, plot may or may not be something? Lots of blood though. OP and ED are actually very nice.

Girlish Number #1

Okay, this was pretty hilarious. I'm sold.

It will always make me sad that Cornbread can probably get more people to watch Clannad than I can get people to watch Majin Bone.

Cornbread: "Clannad has good romance!" *tumblr gifs*

Me: "Majin Bone is a sentai show that provides a subtle examination on the human condition but manages to succeed in being endearing about its message without being overbearing and horrendously derailing itself."

Recommendees: "I'm going with Clannad. It has a higher MAL rating therefore it must be the better show."

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It will always make me sad that Cornbread can probably get more people to watch Clannad than I can get people to watch Majin Bone.

Me: "Majin Bone is a sentai show that provides a subtle examination on the human condition but manages to succeed in being endearing about its message without being overbearing and horrendously derailing itself."

Recommendees: "I'm going with Clannad. It has a higher MAL rating therefore it must be the better."
Sentai is a hard sell nowadays. That doesn't mean you should give up.

Cornbread78

Recommendees: "I'm going with Clannad. It has a higher MAL rating therefore it must be the better."

MAL, Hummingbird, Ann... the list keeps going.

To me, Clannad is about the overall experience and not the romance itself. There are good alternatives out there for a purely romantic experience, but Clannad goes a lot deeper and does a lot more tgan just present a couple falling in love...

Cornbread recommending Clannad, with tumblr gifs no less, is why we can't have nice things. I rarely (never actually) agree with Nintendoman but he's fighting the good fight this time.

Thud

Sentai?

Sold.

Diamond is Unbreakable 29

It's okay if I fix you up right. Gureito.

Koichi's so dependable now, no dignity.

And finally a stray cat. Next week is gonna be crazy again.

pbayne

Great Passage 1

Decent start. Shit it was pretty impressive seeing all the incidental character animation, just kind of shuffling around and moving while they're talking, don't see it too much in TV anime.
Lol that dream sequence was hilariously on the nose though.

Flip-Flappers 2

flipty flap flap fuck.
I don't even know what the hell this show is going for anymore. But im intrigued.

Ascheroth

I never said I was giving up.

I'll continue to shout endless praise of Majin Bone in here until it finally gets the viewership that it deserves.

Maybe you should sell it with Tumblr gifs as well! Uh, fight fire with fire and all that!
Don't do it pls

Or try selling it with its OST , which is fucking awesome.

Majin Bone was so good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 29
I thought this was supposed to be a good arc. Really lame and boring without anything creative going on. Super ugly too. Part Four had a really consistent stride going that just feels like it's lost its grounding after the stupid Heart Father episode. The Alien episode was great but when it just builds to this really lame enemy stand in the end it all just feels super deflating. Nothing about this was intimidating. None of the best horror elements from Jojo are even remotely present here. Nothing neat is going on with the stands that feels surprising. This is the whiplash I felt in Pt. 3 where you could go back and forth between great episodes and total stinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom