• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Keijo!!!!!!!! Episode 2:

Well then, that was so dull I actually fell to sleep at one point. It really needs to embrace its inner Prince of Tennis as it is the only time this show has an actual pulse.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Brave Witches - 02

vJNbgFE.png
lTLW4aX.png

I think I found my two favorite witches out of this squad. <3

jgminto

I had finally watched Avatar last month, and Woofington had mentioned this was a good thread to ask about recommendations. Shows or movies are cool

I'm mainly interested in stuff with more realistic "grounded" art (although I have enjoyed Afro Samurai). Basically more like this

And as far as away as possible from the stuff in the OT, Pokemon, Naruto, etc.

I got Ghost In The Shell, Akira, and Sword of the Stranger on my wishlist, to start.
Honestly it's difficult to list all the classic recommends just because they're so ubiquitous in recommend threads and the like. You've got your Cowboy Bebops, your Monsters and your Baccanos that are obvious watches among others but instead I'll go with more recent stuff.
Ping Pong
While the art is more abstract than your examples, it would be a mistake not to recommend it. It's arguably the show of the decade so far. I'd also ask when you mention "grounded" art, do you mean non-abstract or just less cartoony because I'd also recommend Mob Psycho 100 if it's the second.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
If you're looking for a modern serious take on mecha, this would be my recommendation. It's not an all time classic but as a fully standalone series it's probably the best choice for getting into Gundam of all the recent series.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
One of the frontrunners for best show this year, Rakugo explores an era and art that is rarely seen in anime, it tells the story of two young boys whose lives are driven by the performance art of Rakugo. As time passes, it examines the loss of interest for more Americanised entertainment in a post-war Japan and what impact that has on those who make their living performing Rakugo while also telling a great dramatic tale with their personal lives.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did they put Kill Me Baby in by mistake? I thought they were trying to pretend that show did not exist.

Wait, Amazon is streaming the The Great Passage?

Well, there goes much discussion for that show unfortunately...hopefully they'll treat it better than they did Battery.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - 5

Yeah I remembered that this show existed. I just skimmed to the mecha fight. It was awesome.

And that sucks. Oh my goodness it sucks.

This show is especially painful to me because it feels like the people who designed the mechs actually gave a shit about making them look like actual super robots and wanted them to look good in 2D.

But everything else...it's like the story's trying to be this strange mix of Gundam, Evangelion, and Persona I guess. It feels all over the place and nothing about the world building or the characters are compelling in any way.

This was a mistake. I feel legit depressed now thinking about this.

Wait, Amazon is streaming the The Great Passage?

Well, there goes much discussion for that show unfortunately...hopefully they'll treat it better than they did Battery.

Amazon US is treating it worse, because they haven't posted the first episode yet and of course there's no indication that they'll be streaming it - they haven't posted any episodes of Vivid Strike or Chi's Sweet Adventure either, both shows from the current season which Amazon has international streaming rights for.

If you've got a UK Amazon Prime subscription, however, you're good to go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura Graduation Arc 3-4

I finally got around to watching these episodes after finishing Amanchu a couple of weeks ago and the final episodes of the series pretty much went as expected. This time they give Moan time to contemplate her future - and I guess even in Japan, there are kids who don't declare their major and just take everything they are interested in when they first enter university - but of course the focus is shifted back to Fu and her own anxieties about moving on to the next phase of her life after finally accepting her father's death.

Although graduating from high school represents a life transition, that we've seen many many many times now, but the show goes the extra step including the hobby as part of that life transition. K-On!! did it by having the third years write a song for Azusa, but this was a bit more poignant:

63ZD6Qbl.jpg

lMOCXDLl.jpg

Fu's camera, essentially an personification of the her memories of her father, finally breaks down after years of use. And since we've seen her use it in pretty much every episode of the series starting with the first OVA, we can at least appreciate the impact of the loss. It's the equivalent of the "character change haircut" cliche that we see in countless other stories, but without relying on that trope in a literal manner.

2m4Pteml.jpg

But she gets a new camera as a replacement, and rather than be sad that her father's camera is broken, she's more than happy to embrace the new possibilities that her camera will offer to her. She doesn't need her father's camera to be able to follow in his footsteps and become a photographer herself. Yeah, it's a bit on the nose, but a new camera representing her new life is a nice way to close the arc while including an integral part of the character's identity.

ITDRMCOl.jpg

The other thing I wanted to mention is Miyu Matsuki's absence. Someone here reminded me that she played a character here and with that in mind, it's hard not to see the ways that they tried to write around the fact that they couldn't use the character in the show for these two final episodes. So Chimo is around as a kind of spectre, appearing in certain crowd shots in order to remind the audience that she still exists in the universe of the show. But we are also reminded that she literally doesn't have a voice anymore, and the shot above is the only narrative moment that the character has in these two episodes, giving the character the happy ending of marrying the very eager teacher.

I'm a bit conflicted about this, if only because animation offers the very obvious solution to such an unfortunate production problem - they could recast the character. But I think it's also such a terrible option to even consider, because when this happens with a "live action" show - like John Spencer dying during the final season of The West Wing - there's no question of how the show should handle something like that.

Of course, American animated shows have had to deal with similar problems before as well - South Park lost an actress who voiced nearly all the female characters and eventually they replaced her with several actresses to cover for her loss. However, The Simpsons basically retired Phil Hartman's characters after he died, because they didn't feel like they should continue to use the characters after his passing.

This is such a special circumstance that I'm sure no one really plans for it (the only other example I can think of is Igor's voice actor from Persona 4), and it probably doesn't happen that often in anime for directors to think about what they should do. You probably want to honor the memory of the actor by not replacing them, even if it might compromise the story you wanted to tell. It's just a bit sad to think about how SatoJun had to deal with this twice this year, first on how to handle Chimo's character in these Tamayura OVAs, and then on how to handle Athena's character in Aria. It's probably something that no one really wants to think about when making anime anyway.

So I've basically wrapped up the year of SatoJun-led mono no aware healing anime. Given how I've slowly just stopped watching anime, at least as often as I used to, it's nice to be reminded of why I like anime in the first place. Although the themes are universal, the way these stories convey those themes is uniquely Japanese and it's nice to be reminded of why I like anime in the first place.

Even if Anime is shit, etc etc.

Cornbread78

Flip Flappers ep.2
So, yeah.. I think I need to smoke a ton of Chronic or pop some schrooms to enjoy this show more. I thought Tatami Galaxy was eccentric in art and color, but this goes above and beyond 20x over that.

Also, did I just see tentacle shenanegins going on next week? This guy has some slight perversions, lol.

Flip Flappers ep.2
So, yeah.. I think I need to smoke a ton of Chronic or pop some schrooms to enjoy this show more. I thought Tatami Galaxy was eccentric in art and color, but this goes above and beyond 20x over that.

...You need to smoke something to enjoy a show's vivid colour schemes and artwork more?

I was serious. Looking at something like Flip Flappers episode 2 and assuming the animators were all on drugs? I mean, how can that not be considered disrespectful?

It's a joke. And not an offensive one. I like the show, but acting like Cornbread just threw paint on the Mona Lisa is a bit much.

I was serious. Looking at something like Flip Flappers episode 2 and assuming the animators were all on drugs? I mean, how can that not be considered disrespectful?

Saying "wow, these creators must have been on drugs" is a fairly common joke made about anything somewhat surreal or unusually striking. I'm honestly surprised you've never ran into a similar statement before.

It's a joke. And not an offensive one. I like the show, but acting like Cornbread just threw paint on the Mona Lisa is a bit much.

I think this is a tad over the top as a reaction to a fairly innocuous joke.

Saying "wow, these creators must have been on drugs" is a fairly common joke made about anything somewhat surreal or unusually striking. I'm honestly surprised you've never ran into a similar statement before.

All right, fine. Maybe I overreacted a bit due to me not being in the best of moods tonight. Sorry.

I was mostly angry about the fact that the statement was preceded by him saying that he needed to do similar drugs in order to get more enjoyment out of the show, which I took as him saying that the animators putting effort into making the show as vibrant and colourful as possible was somehow not a good thing.

Gvitor

Keijo!!!!!!!! 02

Truly the greatest anime of our generation, guys

Vaccum butt canon got me laughing, but I was already in tears from the butt exercises early in the episode. This shit is so ridiculous it comes right back around of being fantastic.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
to be honest, it is pretty annoying that creative visual imagery gets tagged with "lol drugs" so often.

The Wire in Japan would be about a couple of dealers selling copyright infringing doujinshi in the streets while the Anime police wants to find out right who is breaking their copyright

when you walk through the garden
And draw narutoooooo

The Great Passage 1

This was the show out of the fall season I was most looking forward to, and the first episode has certainly justified my hype. Perhaps the best overall animation of any show this season - lots of consistent attention to detailed character movement in every scene. The direction is strong, and more inventive than I expected from Kuroyanagi with lots of interesting shots and use of visual symbolism in the midst of a realistic setting. The material itself is unusual not just for anime but for live action as well - what's the last TV show or movie you watched about making a dictionary? The main characters introduced in this opening episode are interesting in grounded ways, particularly the scruffy, bookish salesman who gets recruited to this dictionary project. If the quality keeps up, this could end up being the 2016 TV anime that surpasses Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - which would be appropriate, since the original character designs here are from Rakugo Shinjuu's mangaka!

Tsuritama 1-2

Why aren't people terrified of the guy who is just carrying around a duck?

I mean, if you saw a guy who was just constantly carrying a duck wouldn't you be terrified?

blurr

I completely forgot I was looking forward to The Great Passage and picked another show haha.

No matter, Girlish Number was pretty good anyways. Another show to watch now.

Shin Godzilla

This was a lot of fun. Very enjoyable 2 hours, and I would definitely recommend it for people who have the chance to go see it and like this sort of thing.

Keijo 2

I haven't actually read the original work, but this feels like a poorly thought out adaptation. I would think, after skipping the beginning, they would want to jump ahead to get to the actual sport sooner, but then episode 2 spends so much time on a boring training game with these four leads who we don't know...

BluWacky

Just got charged for my Escaflowne BD CE from Rightstuf.

Aaaah!

Not due here in the UK for another month or so :( cannot wait, I am so excited to revisit the show.

Fingers crossed the transfer is half decent. The last couple of "archive" shows I replaced my DVDs of (Gankutsuou and Noein) have fairly terrible BD versions, although I believe the Japanese Escaflowne release was pretty solid.

blurr

Just found out Girlish Number is based off Wataru Watari's LN. That explains quite a bit lol.

More importantly, why wasn't this in my radar earlier.

duckroll

Aaaah!

Not due here in the UK for another month or so :( cannot wait, I am so excited to revisit the show.

Fingers crossed the transfer is half decent. The last couple of "archive" shows I replaced my DVDs of (Gankutsuou and Noein) have fairly terrible BD versions, although I believe the Japanese Escaflowne release was pretty solid.

It isn't the same transfer as the JP release?!

Keijo 2

I haven't actually read the original work, but this feels like a poorly thought out adaptation. I would think, after skipping the beginning, they would want to jump ahead to get to the actual sport sooner, but then episode 2 spends so much time on a boring training game with these four leads who we don't know...

They also cut out a part towards the end of the episode that I hope they flashback to otherwise that suit isnt explained at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom