• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

I never said I was giving up.

I'll continue to shout endless praise of Majin Bone in here until it finally gets the viewership that it deserves.

tumblrgifspeciallyforpkscj.gif

(I hope the gif is to your liking)

blurr

Cornbread recommending Clannad, with tumblr gifs no less, is why we can't have nice things. I rarely (never actually) agree with Nintendoman but he's fighting the good fight this time.

Well, doesn't it ultimately depend on the potential viewer? whether or not he/she is convinced by Cornbread's gifs and description i.e.

Secondly, even if both of them make a convincing argument to watch, it's the viewer's prerogative to choose one show over the other provided they have a good understanding of the shows based on the descriptions. Maybe if one show is actually as nuanced and 'better' as one claims, the viewer may not be so perceptive to actually appreciate it(yet). A lot of this is given away based on how they convince/try to sell it, not necessarily the matter itself.

I for one do not think Cornbread is at fault here. At least, I don't see it as an argument against the shows in question so much as the means to convince.

Eusis

Damn, Attack on Titan bug finally bit me. Knowing the
basement thing
finally came up in the manga makes me want to dig in and go beyond the first episode and way too much wiki hunting.

And yeah, I read the relevant chapters anyway.

EDIT: How far did the anime go anyways relative to the manga?

Cornbread78

The shows in question are like trying to compare apples and oranges. They are completely different experiences. Pimp your show bruh, maybe he watches and likes both.

personally i blame key and clannad.
SMH

Here's a Majin Bone Gif for ya:

tumblr_n4ftg50h1T1rqyzc2o1_400.gif

tumblr_njqrenL1SX1qftn52o1_500.gif

OK, two.

looks fun.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Recommending anything is hard. You cant just say,"Hey go watch The Samurai Flamenco" and they'll do what you say. You have to make your audience care.
basement thing
finally came up in the manga makes me want to dig in and go beyond the first episode and way too much wiki hunting.

I dont know the exacts but its roughly 30 chapters in the manga where the anime ends.

phaze

basement thing

First ~34 chapters IIRC.

Majin Bone was one of the rare shows that actually got me to right a mega long post about it, and that only happens to shows I really think are worth watching.

I'll always feel justified in recommending it because it specifically feels like a show that people avoid. I won't deny that it's easy to see why people look over it. 52 Episodes, marketed towards children, plot description looks basic and bland, etc.

The barriers to entry are definitely there, and I can see why people would choose Clannad over it saying the latter is "not for me", and all.

But people are seriously missing out when they say that. I feel like they seem to think they know what they'd be in for should they check it out. Which is why I also think that's all the more reason they should check it out.

I went into Majin Bone with a similar mindset. I watched one episode a day for a bit, until I suddenly found myself really enjoying the character interactions and the fact that the plot just wasn't stopping. Every episode had some significant importance, be it plot development, character development, world-building, or all of it at once, and before I knew it I was marathoning the show so hard I finished it in a matter of weeks.

Please, give the show an earnest chance. There's shows that are underrated, and then there's Majin Bone.

Jex

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 29
I thought this was supposed to be a good arc. Really lame and boring without anything creative going on. Super ugly too. Part Four had a really consistent stride going that just feels like it's lost its grounding after the stupid Heart Father episode. The Alien episode was great but when it just builds to this really lame enemy stand in the end it all just feels super deflating. Nothing about this was intimidating. None of the best horror elements from Jojo are even remotely present here. Nothing neat is going on with the stands that feels surprising. This is the whiplash I felt in Pt. 3 where you could go back and forth between great episodes and total stinkers.
I personally feel like the biggest problem with the current crop of DIU episodes is the direction. For the most part if just feels pretty lifeless and flat.

I would have rather they took a break somewhere through this season than just run the visuals into the ground. The show started off really well, making even fairly boring stand encounters from the manga into cool fights.

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 2

Huh, Kiyoi already appeared. But we didn't see Piruluk. Impossible to determine what she knows or if she's the same character. Meanwhile Chinatsu has a hard life. Not the most stable of people. Much more in line with the crazy people of Selector. Seems like Suzu and Chinatsu are going to be enemies more than allies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watamote - 1

This show is too painful for me to watch.
That's why it's great!

Hi all, just want to introduce myself quick. I'm hoping to have the time to really join the anime community on here. I'm in a few other communities, but I'd like to find one a little more critical than say, The IGN Anime Club, or Anime Fever, where it's mostly "Like for Fairy Tale Boobs" Laugh for "Hinata's Boobs."
Hey! Here's a standard animegaf meme question - is Endless Eight the worst thing ever or the best thing ever?

Although I wonder if we're entering an era of anime where people don't even know what Endless Eight is anymore. lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Laughing at ANNcast criticizing Shinbou's direction on a bunch of Shaft shows like Nisekoi saying it's all the same.

basement thing

For me it was always funny that obsession of some fans with the basement. AoT is (in part) a mystery series, the basement was just a way for the author to say "there are lots of questions, and eventually some answers out there!". But as any other mystery series, as the story progressed, more and more questions appeared, and answers were being provided bit a bit to some of them, even if they hadn't reached the basement.

I would understand the complaining if this was one of those mystery stories that play on piling and piling more questions without answering shit (*cough* Lost), then it would make sense for them to wish reach the basement already, but as I said we were having new development and bits of info before that. Although it was nice to reach the basement and have a big dump of setting info and see everything in new light.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For me it was always funny that obsession of some fans with the basement. AoT is (in part) a mystery series, the basement was just a way for the author to say "there are lots of questions, and eventually some answers out there!". But as any other mystery series, as the story progressed, more and more questions appeared, and answers were being provided bit a bit to some of them, even if they hadn't reached the basement.

I would understand the complaining if this was one of those mystery stories that play on piling and piling more questions without answering shit (*cough* Lost), then it would make sense for them to wish reach the basement already, but as I said we were having new development and bits of info before that. Although it was nice to reach the basement and have a big dump of setting info and see everything in new light.
The issue that it's impossible to trust anyone to be able to pull anything of this nature off nowadays - particularly in a post-Lost world. Maybe an established author who has already done multi-volume serialized stories that hinge on a big mystery could get the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know if I've seen anything on that scale that has been able to pull off this particular type of serialization successfully.

Heck, even with Gintama, some people were disappointed with the big "reveal" that came after years of waiting and generally that was seen as a "good" reveal.

Eumi

I love this.

I need this.

I bleed this.

Highway Star is always one of those bullshit stands though. It's so powerful for like no reason. If you stand in a room you're dead, assuming you can't find the user. It has infinite range, can be summoned anywhere, is independent, can reason and plan (albeit to a lower degree than a person could) and moves at 60km/h. On top of that for every person it kills the user is revitalised.

It's actually kind of a plot hole that they can't find Kira with this guy around, although of course before asking him they probably should have just asked Joseph since he can take spirit photos.

phaze

Ajin S2 01

I missed Keikaku Kei.

Not sure what to think of the turn of events here, even though it's acknowledged as outrageous and the circumstances being what they're, certainly make it more believable, this alliance and both of the parties going with it is still a stretch to me.

Also Nagai, it wasn't Sato that turned your life into hell, it was Japanese Truck-san.

Drifters 02 (minute in)

Oh shit, there is Hannibal and Scipio in my animu. AOTY.

Thud

I love this.

I need this.

I bleed this.

Highway Star is always one of those bullshit stands though. It's so powerful for like no reason. If you stand in a room you're dead, assuming you can't find the user. It has infinite range, can be summoned anywhere, is independent, can reason and plan (albeit to a lower degree than a person could) and moves at 60km/h. On top of that for every person it kills the user is revitalised.

It's actually kind of a plot hole that they can't find Kira with this guy around, although of course before asking him they probably should have just asked Joseph since he can take spirit photos.

Joseph is too busy changing diapers on an invisible baby.

Hey! Here's a standard animegaf meme question - is Endless Eight the worst thing ever or the best thing ever?

Although I wonder if we're entering an era of anime where people don't even know what Endless Eight is anymore. lol

So, while I have been watching anime since the late 90s, I have some gaps from when I went to college and subsequently remaining legal in my methods for anime consumption. I actually just had to look up what the "Endless Eight" was lol. Having not seen it I don't have much of an opinion save that it sounds interesting, from a fun sort of artistic perspective, but hell for anyone wanting plot to move along. I think I'd probably fall into the later camp.

Eumi

In which people start to doubt that draining the world of all water is a good plan.

Also is every protagonist gonna be the male variant? I get red and gold but you may have we'll have used May for this, there's no canon for gen 3.

phaze

If someday I start that series, I will do it with manga not the anime.

The manga uses a kind of similar style to Katsuhiro Otomo, which I dig

...versus...

mm yeah.

In its (feeble) defense, character art of non-CG shows usually won't stand-up to art of monthly (?) manga either. Even more so when it's just a normal scene and not some specially cranked up still.

That said, I'm not sure how Ajin stacks up to the rest of CG fare as it's pretty much my first show of the kind but the characters are ugly and look unnatural a lot of time. Took me a while to get accustomed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, while I have been watching anime since the late 90s, I have some gaps from when I went to college and subsequently remaining legal in my methods for anime consumption. I actually just had to look up what the "Endless Eight" was lol. Having not seen it I don't have much of an opinion save that it sounds interesting, from a fun sort of artistic perspective, but hell for anyone wanting plot to move along. I think I'd probably fall into the later camp.
Heh, it's just funny because animegaf usually goes through circular arguments and Endless Eight is one of them (the irony, of course, is obvious). lol

I haven't been here in a while though, so I don't even know what arguments come around anymore. One I'm fond of from the old days, because of who started it, is the whole Paprika vs Inception one.

But welcome to the thread!

Thud

In which people start to doubt that draining the world of all water is a good plan.

Also is every protagonist gonna be the male variant? I get red and gold but you may have we'll have used May for this, there's no canon for gen 3.

I think you mean 7. Because 6 is about Eusine and his quest to find Suicine.

Aki-at

Pokemon Generations 7
giphy.gif

Some of that voice acting tho...

I'm glad to see Shin Godzilla is already influencing the next generation of kaiju film makers.

Watamote's fantastic.

IIRC it had a lot of creative visuals for reactions and some very impressive moments (case in point: transition to OP in episode 10).

Relateable to a painful degree but I haven't really reached a point I had to stop watching midway. I was actually impressed at the number of things it picked up on Kuroki's behavior.

This is my problem, I cannot stand characters making idiots out of themselves or suffering from social anxiety, it hits a bit too close to home and I always have to pause or start skipping scenes.

I mean, I'll give it it's dues that just on the first episode it made me feel uncomfortable.

jgminto

Diamond is Unbreakable 29
Disappointing, the direction and art was so flat. The point of the Highway Star fight is that it's a high speed road battle but they manage to make it look so slow. I wish the show took a break post-Sheer Heart Attack to allow for better time and resource management, it would have been so great to see these fights receive the same directorial treatment as the early material.

Aki-at

My Love Story!! - 15

One of the cutest anime faces I've ever seen. One challenger down from the last episode and now a new one appears to trouble Yamato, be careful where you're going with this Takeo!!

High Q S3 02

Didn't expect them to get stomped so hard right at the start. 1 match already down in half an episode, but I imagine the last point of the last match will be its own episode

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Thanks for reminding me to post that the new season of Haikyuu is sloppily produced cash in garbage. Repeat animation from old seasons. Lazy framing that find itself repeated over and over. Very lacking on the animation front when it comes to the power hits. An embarrassing effort, if you even want to call it an effort.

Syrinx

Show By Rock!! S1

Darudayu da real MVP.

Aikatsu! Stars 26

New OP is unremarkable.

Lily's next song should be a diss track calling out Ice Cube telling him she colder than him.

Yuri On Ice!! 1

Really like this. The random comedy injections can be a bit much but I'm loving the setup and if the skating animation is up to snuff the whole way it could be a big-time standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom