• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i haven't done anything anime related in a few days but i just wanted to let you know my new boss, a 70+ year old grumpy white dude, has some anime butler pillow on his chair in his otherwise classic 1900s style heritage office.

i think he got it from one of his grandkids or something

Couple shows here, I've been super out of the loop with anime stuff but I figured it was time for me to jump back in since WIXOSS is back awwwww yeah

Love Live! Sunshine! (Complete)
I really liked this. Did a two day marathon after getting started. Unfortunately I do not know the names of all the characters, unlike after the original knowing everyone. Ultimately, I'd put it higher than the first season, not as high as second season of the original. Also, I actually watched over half of the episodes dubbed, which was pretty enjoyable because the voice actors were phenomenal. Well worth checking out if you have access to dubs.

I can't imagine we wouldn't be getting a sequel so I'm looking forward to that!

selector destructed WIXOSS
This was mostly a recap movie for the entire original WIXOSS series, so considering I haven't seen it since it aired it was good to remember most of the top moments. WIXOSS was actually one of my favorite shows when it was running, I was super excited to hear Kanon Wakeshima's OPs come on.

There really wasn't a whole lot of new stuff in this movie though, and I assume that it would be near impossible to really understand what the heck is going on in this movie unless you saw the complete series.
Probably the most head scratching part for anyone who might watch this blind is who Mayu (the creator of the selector system) is and what she has to do with Tama and Yuki.
I did really appreciate how things got wrapped up in the end with a decently happy ending. I liked
seeing all the former LRIGs becoming closer to their former selectors (which is kinda weird when you see Piriluk being buddy buddy with Akira)

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS 1 & 2
ALRIGHT now I'm finally getting started on something current!

So Lostorage is almost completely different so far from Selector; some big changes coming in with boys being able to be selectors now, and the coin bet system to tip the scales. So far its seeming much more "card battle" than selector was.

It was a little jarring how quickly the first episode drops you right into the situation. Ruko and Tama in the first series took things pretty well at first until it just became a trainwreck of despair -- here we waste no time getting right into the selector system.

It'll probably be brought up later but (WIXOSS series 1 spoiler)
the first girl Chinatsu fights is Akira's former LRIG, Piriluk (real name Kiyoi). Kiyoi's kind of a tragic character if you read her manga spin off, so I wonder what links she'll bring from the original series. I just want her to be happy q_q. Also, maybe they cut off the fight between Chinatsu and Kiyoi because there's something important to what Kiyoi's LRIG looks like (manga, once again)

Seems so far that this takes place after the end of Spread/Destructed? The tables from the first series are covered in ruins, and it seems like the girls first meet their LRIGs in the ruins of Mayu's white room. My feeling so far (or at least what we're being lead to believe) is that the current LRIGs are no longer real people enslaved to the selector system, after Ruko released them at the end of the first series.

Kinda a shame there is barely any discussion going on for this show, I'm super excited for the rest of this season.

BATORU BATORU

Gintama ep. 25 & 26
two good episodes, I can kinda already see why people like this show so much. Will still skip around a little with the episodes, not yet ready to commit for a 300+ episodes.

Keijo ep. 3
Ridiculous as ever. Will keep watching for more b..battles.

Kuroko no Rugby aka All Out ep.3
Suprisingly good, show went from a meh to pretty interesting if they can get the matches hype. Even the tall efferminate boi was great when in a match.

Couple shows here, I've been super out of the loop with anime stuff but I figured it was time for me to jump back in since WIXOSS is back awwwww yeah

Love Live! Sunshine! (Complete)
I really liked this. Did a two day marathon after getting started. Unfortunately I do not know the names of all the characters, unlike after the original knowing everyone. Ultimately, I'd put it higher than the first season, not as high as second season of the original. Also, I actually watched over half of the episodes dubbed, which was pretty enjoyable because the voice actors were phenomenal. Well worth checking out if you have access to dubs.

I can't imagine we wouldn't be getting a sequel so I'm looking forward to that!

selector destructed WIXOSS
This was mostly a recap movie for the entire original WIXOSS series, so considering I haven't seen it since it aired it was good to remember most of the top moments. WIXOSS was actually one of my favorite shows when it was running, I was super excited to hear Kanon Wakeshima's OPs come on.

There really wasn't a whole lot of new stuff in this movie though, and I assume that it would be near impossible to really understand what the heck is going on in this movie unless you saw the complete series.
Probably the most head scratching part for anyone who might watch this blind is who Mayu (the creator of the selector system) is and what she has to do with Tama and Yuki.
I did really appreciate how things got wrapped up in the end with a decently happy ending. I liked
seeing all the former LRIGs becoming closer to their former selectors (which is kinda weird when you see Piriluk being buddy buddy with Akira)

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS 1 & 2
ALRIGHT now I'm finally getting started on something current!

So Lostorage is almost completely different so far from Selector; some big changes coming in with boys being able to be selectors now, and the coin bet system to tip the scales. So far its seeming much more "card battle" than selector was.

It was a little jarring how quickly the first episode drops you right into the situation. Ruko and Tama in the first series took things pretty well at first until it just became a trainwreck of despair -- here we waste no time getting right into the selector system.

It'll probably be brought up later but (WIXOSS series 1 spoiler)
the first girl Chinatsu fights is Akira's former LRIG, Piriluk (real name Kiyoi). Kiyoi's kind of a tragic character if you read her manga spin off, so I wonder what links she'll bring from the original series. I just want her to be happy q_q. Also, maybe they cut off the fight between Chinatsu and Kiyoi because there's something important to what Kiyoi's LRIG looks like (manga, once again)

Seems so far that this takes place after the end of Spread/Destructed? The tables from the first series are covered in ruins, and it seems like the girls first meet their LRIGs in the ruins of Mayu's white room. My feeling so far (or at least what we're being lead to believe) is that the current LRIGs are no longer real people enslaved to the selector system, after Ruko released them at the end of the first series.

Kinda a shame there is barely any discussion going on for this show, I'm super excited for the rest of this season.

BATORU BATORU
In regards to ]Lostorage Incited WIXOSS:

I think this new system is more insidious because the LRIGS aren't other trapped girls trying to switch places with the selector but girls made from the selector's own memories with the mannerisms and vague appearance of the person most dear to them and are thus more able to hit their selector's weaknesses to urge them into battle and go all out. They are memory eating parasites and that makes me much more frightening.

I'm curious.

How many people watching Flip Flappers in here have actually seen a magical girl show not named Madoka Magica or Symphogear before?

Watched Nanoha about eight years or so ago, whenever the dub for the first two seasons hit. The woman I was dating at the time voiced Fate. I think I've seen bits and pieces of some others as well, like Sailor Moon of course, and Magic Knights Rayearth.

I'm curious.

How many people watching Flip Flappers in here have actually seen a magical girl show not named Madoka Magica or Symphogear before?

Nope mostly just the 'dark' versions, I've thought about looking into Card Captor Sakura as it seems to be the show with the strongest following that isn't Sailor Moon. There does seem to be an unfortunate amount of male gaze going on with the genre in general and especially during transformation scenes. Happy to be told I'm wrong though perhaps it's just the likes of Yuki Yuna and other 'dark' versions of the genre that suffer from this

Szadek

I'm curious.

I obvisouly did, in case I haven't made that clear enough by now.
Incidentally a few weeks ago I bought a Cure Sunshine figure.
Nope mostly just the 'dark' versions, I've thought about looking into Card Captor Sakura as it seems to be the show with the strongest following that isn't Sailor Moon. There does seem to be an unfortunate amount of male gaze going on with the genre in general and especially during transformation scenes. Happy to be told I'm wrong though perhaps it's just the likes of Yuki Yuna and other 'dark' versions of the genre that suffer from this
If you ,or anyone else for that matter, wants to get into the genre, I got the perfect guide for it:
https://i.imgur.com/vFQ3vaZ.jpg

As for the transforamtions, in shows made for girls they are usually pretty harmless.

I did, I watched Cardcaptor Sakura.

I'll also had that I never watched one the dark magical girl shows, Madoka and the likes.

Huh, I thought for sure you had seen Madoka at some point.

Watched Nanoha about eight years or so ago, whenever the dub for the first two seasons hit. The woman I was dating at the time voiced Fate. I think I've seen bits and pieces of some others as well, like Sailor Moon of course, and Magic Knights Rayearth.

Oh really? That's pretty cool. I watched the Nanoha dub as well on my first viewing of the show.

If you want a magical girl show with a strong following (in here, anyway), that isn't Sailor Moon I'd recommend Ojamajo Doremi.

Remember when all anime was Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star and Trigun and there were no cute anime shows? Good times.
Didn't Cardcaptor Sakura play during the exact same years as these?

I say that, but the first eng dub had cut it so much to make it look like a shonen. With that opening and all.

Last maybe half a dozen episodes were canon.

Although right now we're dancing inbetween chapter 699 and 700.

They should do the gap between 699 and 700 in real time, spending 15 years worth of episodes showing every detail in the characters' lives that happened between those chapters.

What? No. Dream Ninjas attack Naruto and the gang in their sleep. Sleep Arcs will be best arcs.
It really could be the best! Imagine, mecha Naruto makes a comeback in the dream arc and forces Naruto and his friends to build the ultimate super robot to fight it. Big battles after big battles, we then reach TTGL level of mecha battles! Naruto brings out his galaxy massive rasen shuriken to save the universe....Perfect!

We would not be able to get this if they were awake.

Man now that I wrote this, I really want a Naruto filler arc like this!

Clov

I'm curious.

I've seen several. Off the top of my head, I've watched all the Sailor Moon seasons (except for the third part of Crystal), Cardcaptor Sakura, Smile Precure, and I'm around halfway through Heartcatch Precure. There's many more assorted magical girl anime I've seen, though if I'm not remembering them at the moment they may have just been unremarkable.

I like Flip Flappers for its amazing visuals, and the characters are likable as well. Some parts of it get a bit too fanservicey for my liking, though.

Edit: Looking above, I have also seen some of those Madoka derivatives like Yuki Yuna and Daybreak Illusion. I've also watched the four Nanoha seasons, though frankly I think I'm done with the franchise. I wasn't a big fan of the third season, and I found Vivid to be incredibly boring. I'll be skipping Vivid Strike and any other future entries.

If you ,or anyone else for that matter, wants to get into the genre, I got the perfect guide for it:
https://i.imgur.com/vFQ3vaZ.jpg

As for the transforamtions, in shows made for girls they are usually pretty harmless.

If you want a magical girl show with a strong following (in here, anyway), that isn't Sailor Moon I'd recommend Ojamajo Doremi.

Cheers for the recommendations, that graphic is a pretty damn useful way to quickly get a feel for where each show is show coming from. I'm nearing the end of Utena at the moment and I didn't realise it's considered a mahou shojo show (although it seems obvious on reflection).

Kenstar

Remember when all anime was Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star and Trigun and there were no cute anime shows? Good times.

WHERE HAS MY GOOD MANIME GONE
2M1DmU3.jpg

Line_HTX

Occultic;Nine's 1 and 2 got pulled.

Due to a decision by the production committee, episodes 1 and 2 are unavailable at this time. The episodes will return at a later date. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Ascheroth

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 #1

When did my generic shonen-with-powers anime turn into a mafia crime drama? o_O
That was a mightily interesting start and a really stark contrast to last season. Well, I'm intrigued.

It really could be the best! Imagine, mecha Naruto makes a comeback in the dream arc and forces Naruto and his friends to build the ultimate super robot to fight it. Big battles after big battles, we then reach TTGL level of mecha battles! Naruto brings out his galaxy massive rasen shuriken to save the universe....Perfect!

We would not be able to get this if they were awake.

Man now that I wrote this, I really want a Naruto filler arc like this!

You forget the true ending where Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura, piloting Shin Naruto venture to the far reaches of space to battle against Orochimaru and his Invaders of black goo only to discover a ripple in space time and takes them to the verge of all universes where tons of alternate Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura teams are battling. They choose to stay behind and fight Orochimaru to the ends of time and bid farewell to their children who must carry on the future generations and pilot more Naruto mecha in the face of new threats.

Shin Getter Robo Armageddon reference for those curious.

What?! but why? Did the first 2 episodes have bad content?

I mean, Episode 1 was highly divisive. Some thought it was okay/good (My wife and I for example) others absolutely hated the pacing. Outside of some complaints of the female characters having comically large bosoms I don't recall any complaints about the animation.

And Episode 2, largely, was considered a vast improvement over the first episode. This is really odd. I guess it could be another Regalia, but it sounds like they still plan on airing Episode 3 and on so far.

JulianImp

I'm curious.

I watched quite a bit of Sailor Moon and some Magic Knight Rayearth when I was a kid, and also remember having watched Cyberteam in Akihabara once or twice if it counts.

And I never actually liked Sympho, despite watching it to see if it'd get any better. I think I dropped it by the start of S3 once I got fed up with the whole thing being both boring and predictable.

Regalia 2.0?

Looking at the official Occultic;Nine website, they have posted a notice today saying that episodes 1 and 2 have been temporarily suspended from digital streaming services, but they also put up the story synopsis, staff, and sample images from episode 3. So it doesn't appear they have any intent of halting the production as Regalia did.

You forget the true ending where Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura, piloting Shin Naruto venture to the far reaches of space to battle against Orochimaru and his Invaders of black goo only to discover a ripple in space time and takes them to the verge of all universes where tons of alternate Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura teams are battling. They choose to stay behind and fight Orochimaru to the ends of time and bid farewell to their children who must carry on the future generations and pilot more Naruto mecha in the face of new threats.

Shin Getter Robo Armageddon reference for those curious.

I think that we got ourselves a story here, we should send it to studio Pierrot!

The reviews have not been kind. If the production committee doesn't want anyone to see them, I can assume they didn't like what the studio delivered either.

I mean, Episode 1 was highly divisive. Some thought it was okay/good (My wife and I for example) others absolutely hated the pacing. Outside of some complaints of the female characters having comically large bosoms I don't recall any complaints about the animation.

And Episode 2, largely, was considered a vast improvement over the first episode. This is really odd. I guess it could be another Regalia, but it sounds like they still plan on airing Episode 3 and on so far.

Yea I really liked it too! Even if opinions on it were divided, it was nowhere near pull worthy. Maybe it's legal issues?

blurr

i haven't done anything anime related in a few days but i just wanted to let you know my new boss, a 70+ year old grumpy white dude, has some anime butler pillow on his chair in his otherwise classic 1900s style heritage office.

i think he got it from one of his grandkids or something

ah I see you're doing well

Yeah considering Episode 1 was an entire Light Novel that could easily be expanded into five-six episodes by itself.

I'm reading the Light novel right now on J-novel club and I can already tell you they did not cover all of volume 1 yet. They skipped over a lot of stuff. Which I'm sure they will come back too since they introduce important characters and have plot points in them.

I'm reading the Light novel right now on J-novel club and I can already tell you they did not cover all of volume 1 yet. They skipped over a lot of stuff. Which I'm sure they will come back too since they introduce important characters and have plot points in them.

Oh okay interesting. Thanks for the info, I don't read Japanese and haven't had the time to check out the J-novel club website just yet (heck I barely have enough time to read Devil is a Part Timer vol 2 as it is.) so I had to go off what I'd been hearing online. So you're thinking based on what they've skipped over they'll have to go back and fill in some of the blanks?

Oh okay interesting. Thanks for the info, I don't read Japanese and haven't had the time to check out the J-novel club website just yet (heck I barely have enough time to read Devil is a Part Timer vol 2 as it is.) so I had to go off what I'd been hearing online. So you're thinking based on what they've skipped over they'll have to go back and fill in some of the blanks?

Unless they cut out characters, I'm pretty sure they will. I mean they skipped something pretty important and if it's not there we will lack context imo.

Right now I'm following the simulpub and I went through 5 parts of I think 9 of volume 1.

If I'm wrong later down the line and they never went back I'll correct myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom