• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also it's somethign I have been noticing in the past few weeks, but Twin Star Exorcist seems to be really popular on CR.

No matter which day of the week we are it's always in the top 4. I never thought it was this popular honestly.

It's a good show, so it makes me happy. Hoping that can mean a dub more quickly!

f6a54ef98437ffe6729ba3c2b2baa98e.png

Shounen manga adaptation featuring romantic male/female duo with superpowers fighting in a massively edgy environment against unfeeling abominations.

Why wouldn't it be popular. :p

Narag

I'm kinda surprised HxH is still listed so high. I know it had recentlystarted on Toonami but nearly everything else on that page (aside from FMA:B which was just added a few weeks ago) is a currently airing show.

Jarmel

Banned
Looking at the official Occultic;Nine website, they have posted a notice today saying that episodes 1 and 2 have been temporarily suspended from digital streaming services, but they also put up the story synopsis, staff, and sample images from episode 3. So it doesn't appear they have any intent of halting the production as Regalia did.
I wonder if they're debating whether to yank it or possibly put up a revised ep.1/ep.2.

Today's JoJo had SIX directors. RIP David Pro. Should've took that 1 cour break.

Cross Ange 1-2

I'm amazed by the level of stupidity Ange displayed in both episodes.
I get not fully grasping the extent of the changes to her life and not being willing to accept the reality when she grew up to be... racist? and then she suddenly find herself on the side of the people she hated and wanted eliminated but... her own pedo brother outed her and spoke against her and her ex friends insulted her right on front of her. She doesn't have magical powers and if it wasn't for her mom, that bullet would have killed her. How many people gotta die before she gets some reality check.
Also I totally knew Coco
was a goner the moment she offered her pudding. I mean, she was saving it for later. I totally expected Ange to throw it away and then Coco biting it.
So predictable!

Cross Ange 3

Oh my God... she got 2 more people killed and no sign of repentance after the fact... I can't believe it.

Finally someone listens to me.

Exalted

Bungo Stray Dogs S2 episode 4

Was kinda surprised when i saw that a new episode became available today, and what a great episode. I really like the duel scene with the dialog and all the music they used in this episode. A marvellous way to finish this arc. Hopefully the next arc will manage to be as entertaining as this one, now that it goes back into the present.

Today's JoJo had SIX directors. RIP David Pro. Should've took that 1 cour break.

I noticed the amount of massive praise for the episodes back in Spring had been disappearing as of late. People were calling this one of the all-time great shounen adaptations where the anime is better than the manga. I mean, I'm still seeing praise, but nothing on the level like it was back then.

Shit, this is a shame. :(

Shounen manga adaptation featuring romantic male/female duo with superpowers fighting in a massively edgy environment against unfeeling abominations.

Why wouldn't it be popular. :p

Yea I guess it does make sense, but I'm just surprised it practically never moves from there.

I would have wished for World Trigger to reach these levels on crunchyroll.

Speaking of WT where is my dub Toei!!

I noticed the amount of massive praise for the episodes back in Spring had been disappearing as of late. People were calling this one of the all-time great shounen adaptations where the anime is better than the manga. I mean, I'm still seeing praise, but nothing on the level like it was back then.

Its def suffering but the show hasnt turned to total crap. DiU was just such a level beyond the previous JoJo adaptations before, but now its kinda leveled out to the same pace.

I wonder if they're debating whether to yank it or possibly put up a revised ep.1/ep.2.

What would they revise? The production values were strong. The things people complained about - the script, the fast pacing and spastic editing - those are things that can't be fixed unless they scrap practically all work that's been done on the production up to this point and start again from scratch. Which would be an incredible waste of time and money that I doubt any sane producer would want to go through.

If we have to guess as to what's going on, my bet is on some kind of legal issues akin to what took down Osomatsu-san episode 1. Not that the production committee has decided to completely rework the show based on its critical reception.

Jarmel

Banned

Part of the reason is that the story feels like it's blatantly stalling with the dad shooting random people just to slow Jotaro and crew. The show has lost a lot of steam in the recent arc and is reminding me of Stardust Crusaders in how the writing feels forced.
What would they revise? The production values were strong. The things people complained about - the script, the fast pacing and spastic editing - those are things that can't be fixed unless they scrap practically all work that's been done on the production up to this point and start again from scratch. Which would be an incredible waste of time and money that I doubt any sane producer would want to go through.

If we have to guess as to what's going on, my bet is on some kind of legal issues akin to what took down Osomatsu-san episode 1. Not that the production committee has decided to completely rework the show based on its critical reception.

The production issues weren't really a problem with Regalia's first few episodes. Then there's Osomatsu which was a blatant trademark issue. I didn't see anything in the first two Occult episodes that would be remotely comparable.

They could probably rework the first episode by shuffling some scenes around and add in some small material to make the episode flow better. It doesn't really need to be completely redone.

Part of the reason is that the story feels like it's blatantly stalling with the dad shooting random people just to slow Jotaro and crew. The show has lost a lot of steam in the recent arc and is reminding me of Stardust Crusaders in how the writing feels forced.

I love all of DiU but I can't really disagree. Atom Heart Father feels like blue balls after the first Kira encounter (although there are good fights in that arc) but from what I remember Stray Cat should put it back on track because this episodes about Kira almost exclusively.

Wait a second, if they removed the second episode of Occultic;Nine, and people haven't watched it, how are people supposed to watch the third episode? Did nothing important happen in episode 2?

Also, weird amount of anime being pulled/pushed back this year.

Jarmel

Banned
I love all of DiU but I can't really disagree. Atom Heart Father feels like blue balls after the first Kira encounter (although there are good fights in that arc) but from what I remember Stray Cat should put it back on track because this episodes about Kira almost exclusively.
Honestly it doesn't even feel as good as the first half in that the encounters there were more happenstance while now everything is done for confrontation's sake.

Part 6 and Part 7 of Jojo.- This is what people actually want to see animated.

hell yeah. give me based jolyne and murder cowboys.

Although if you want to talk about production values, by those Parts the stand abilities have gotten so weird that they will need the Part 4 production. Jolyne's Stand lets her unravel herself as a basic ability!

Thud

Still my favorite day of the week. Makes me appreciate part 4 that much more. This opinion is however lost in the sea of complaints.

The amount of salt when the first frame of killer queen was shown, I was like calm the fuck down guys lol. Not that they are necessarily wrong, but it could do with less poison.

Yea I guess it does make sense, but I'm just surprised it practically never moves from there.

I would have wished for World Trigger to reach these levels on crunchyroll.

Speaking of WT where is my dub Toei!!

All I know about World Trigger is that hilarious long silent moment where a bunch of guys are sitting in a conference room waiting for a guy to answer a question for like a minute, during which we get a slide show of everybody's face.

I'm pretty sure people were calling WT one of the biggest production disasters by Toei at the time it was airing, I think.

Its def suffering but the show hasnt turned to total crap. DiU was just such a level beyond the previous JoJo adaptations before, but now its kinda leveled out to the same pace.

I loved Stardust Crusaders all the way through, but man those early DiU episodes were something else entirely. I'll still finish it but I'm probably gonna wait a bit more before I catch up. I hope it reaches that high level of quality later down the line for its finale, at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama ep. 25 & 26
two good episodes, I can kinda already see why people like this show so much. Will still skip around a little with the episodes, not yet ready to commit for a 300+ episodes.
You might skip to the movie (or episode 57, which is the equivalent), since it's the first major arc of the series that introduces some of the "lore" and is a perfect showcase of the heroic bloodshot badassery that Gintama is capable of.

Love Live! Sunshine! (Complete)
I really liked this. Did a two day marathon after getting started. Unfortunately I do not know the names of all the characters, unlike after the original knowing everyone. Ultimately, I'd put it higher than the first season, not as high as second season of the original. Also, I actually watched over half of the episodes dubbed, which was pretty enjoyable because the voice actors were phenomenal. Well worth checking out if you have access to dubs.

I can't imagine we wouldn't be getting a sequel so I'm looking forward to that!
It's undoubtedly getting a second season. Still waiting for the Muse cameo. lol

Oh yeah. Thinking about it thats probably a solid guess.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Miss bernard 1-2 -> thanks Narag
lol, this is funny, especially if you're into literature. Going to try to read some of the books mentioned.

The production issues weren't really a problem with Regalia's first few episodes. Then there's Osomatsu which was a blatant trademark issue. I didn't see anything in the first two Occult episodes that would be remotely comparable.

They could probably rework the first episode by shuffling some scenes around and add in some small material to make the episode flow better. It doesn't really need to be completely redone.

You're right that the production values in the first few episodes of Regalia weren't a problem - and neither was anything else, as seen by the minimal cosmetic revisions that were done to the reaired episodes. No, Regalia stopped airing because the staff were concerned that things would fall apart if they didn't get more time to work on the upcoming episodes that had yet to air, and somehow they had a producer who decided not to just force them to keep going the way most TV anime are forced to.

I've never heard of a TV anime whose episodes were revised to adjust its approach to storytelling, either in reaired versions or on BDs. The most that happens is substantial BD alterations that adjust poorly received visuals, such as From the New World episode 5 or the redone animation sequence from Birdy S2. If the Occultic;Nine producers really have pulled the first two episodes because they wish to reedit and adjust the script/pacing, that would be a first in the anime industry as far as I'm aware.

Also, weird amount of anime being pulled/pushed back this year.

More anime being made + tighter production schedules = more messes

Jarmel

Banned
You're right that the production values in the first few episodes of Regalia weren't a problem - and neither was anything else, as seen by the minimal cosmetic revisions that were done to the reaired episodes. No, Regalia stopped airing because the staff were concerned that things would fall apart if they didn't get more time to work on the upcoming episodes that had yet to air, and somehow they had a producer who decided not to just force them to keep going the way most TV anime are forced to.

I've never heard of a TV anime whose episodes were revised to adjust its approach to storytelling, either in reaired versions or on BDs. The most that happens is substantial BD alterations that adjust poorly received visuals, such as From the New World episode 5 or the redone animation sequence from Birdy S2. If the Occultic;Nine producers really have pulled the first two episodes because they wish to reedit and adjust the script/pacing, that would be a first in the anime industry as far as I'm aware.

Actually the Fate/Stay stuff from Ufotable usually got a number of additions for the BD releases so it wouldn't be a first.

It's also true for a show you're currently somewhat watching, Fafner Exodus.

Ascheroth

All I know about World Trigger is that hilarious long silent moment where a bunch of guys are sitting in a conference room waiting for a guy to answer a question for like a minute, during which we get a slide show of everybody's face.

I'm pretty sure people were calling WT one of the biggest production disasters by Toei at the time it was airing, I think.
The World Trigger manga is legit good (although it took a while to get going). Might have the most tactical and strategic shonen battles currently. The anime was a real shame.
Don't think I've watched much of it, but I'm itching to see how the Invasion arc looks like.

phaze

but you're missing out on casually racist ryoma

You're continuously diverting him from watching Ikuhara's masterpiece, cease this at once.

Gargantia 10

Pinion seems to have gotten hit by a giant dumbstick, too giant to feel plausible.

On the other hand, the fallout from the last episode on Ledo's side was handled nicely. Loved especially the conversation with cold blooded chamber.

Drifters 03
02108488zt1.jpg
0210996llva.jpg

Looking nice Joan.

This show feels like it was cynically designed to pander to me. So much fanservice.

-------
Oh Crunchyroll speeded up Bungou releases to Fridays ? Neatto.

but you're missing out on casually racist ryoma

[Insert Trump Wall joke here]

Gargantia 10

Pinion seems to have gotten hit by a giant dumbstick, too giant to feel plausible.

On the other hand, the fallout from the last episode on Ledo's side was handled nicely. Loved especially the conversation with cold blooded chamber.

Well I'll be dammed. We actually agree on something here.

The conversation with Chamber after episode 9 was perhaps one of my favourite moments in the show.

Narag Loves Yoshikage Kira 30

W0sfLEd.jpg

Wish this was translated

Good episode. A lot of off model stuff but it didn't detract much from the episode for me. DP did a really good job of making a cat-like plant...however you quantify that.

I think the way to go for DiU might just be the Blu-Rays. If it elevates the last 13 episodes to the level of the first 26, its an easy 10/10 for me.

Narag

[Insert Trump Wall joke here]

Well I'll be dammed. We actually agree on something here.

The conversation with Chamber after episode 9 was perhaps one of my favourite moments in the show.

never forgot Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo had them fending off swarms of ilegal aliens from the white house lawn

Occultic;Nine's 1 and 2 got pulled.

Due to a decision by the production committee, episodes 1 and 2 are unavailable at this time. The episodes will return at a later date. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Could it be due to the gore, like the scalped professor and the teeth pulling? Or maybe there was a similar incident in real life recently and they felt they needed to pull the episode?

I don't think there was anything too wrong with the production that would require them to pull those episodes specifically.

Was it now? I actually started watching it weekly at around the 50th episode mark. While I can agree the fist 13 episodes were slow, I really think it took off afterword. The rank wars had some fantastic battles and they are really enhance by the non-lethal/competitive nature of it. The invasion arc is legit super good.

The comments were mostly constantly good in the comments. I must have missed the initial negative group that always happen and the fact that I binged the early episode must have helped the pacing problem for me.

WT is one of my favorite shonen right now, I'm hoping that when we get more chapters, they will restart the anime.

dan2026

Could it be due to the gore, like the scalped professor and the teeth pulling? Or maybe there was a similar incident in real life recently and they felt they needed to pull the episode?

I don't think there was anything too wrong with the production that would require them to pull those episodes specifically.

Maybe the tits were too big after all.
They found the hypothetical anime-tit-limit, that no anime should cross.

Actually the Fate/Stay stuff from Ufotable usually got a number of additions for the BD releases so it wouldn't be a first.

It's also true for a show you're currently somewhat watching, Fafner Exodus.

Cases such as Fate/Zero, Fafner Exodus episode 1, and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu episode 1 were instances where preexisting footage and scripts were cut down to fit a TV timeslot while the full version was included on the BDs. These weren't cases where the anime staff reworked episodes in response to negative viewer reception.

Narag Loves Yoshikage Kira 30

Good episode. A lot of off model stuff but it didn't detract much from the episode for me. DP did a really good job of making a cat-like plant...however you quantify that.

I think the way to go for DiU might just be the Blu-Rays. If it elevates the last 13 episodes to the level of the first 26, its an easy 10/10 for me.

The BDs will polish the character art, but sadly they won't redo the storyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom