• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.3
nanbaka%2B-%2B03.jpg
This show has a good mix of ridiculousness, conedy and fun to hold my interest and keep me entertained

Taruranto

Miss bernard 1-2 -> thanks Narag
lol, this is funny, especially if you're into literature. Going to try to read some of the books mentioned.

The story centers around a lazy girl's love for famous literary works along with her bookworm friends. Sawako "Miss Bernard" Machida wants to be well-versed in literature but she doesn't actually read those books! Encounter various prominent works including the Bible, The Tale of the Heike, The Great Passage, Fermat's Last Theorem and more that she hasn't read.

This sounds actually interesting, I avoided it because the character design reminded me of mitsudomoe and I thought it was a creepy-ass show.
It isn't a creepy-ass show, right?

Ascheroth

Diamond is Unbreakable #30

What's better than a Kira episode? A Kira episode with a cat!
Stray Cat is such a bizarre concept, I love it.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs 16

A great finish to an already highly impressive arc. Scriptwise, I feel it's only sizeable blemish was the motivation of Mimic, which, despite the sizable chunk of time devoted to it here still struck me as rather out of there. But other than that whether its the sharp dialogue, the EDGE noir vibes, the fun intrigue, the thematic connection between the villain and the protagonist, the ultimate bearing of it all on Dazai, it was just a joy to watch. All the more so since it had some great storyboarding, visuals and OST and managed to mostly maintain them for 4 episodes.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS - 3
Here I was thinking that the characters assumed when someone "disappears" they would literally disappear.
So the new revelation that they don't just like, die shouldn't be all that surprising. Maybe there was something lost in translation. I mean, I knew nobody would actually vanish, that's not really something that fits in with the selector system. But I feel like we're going in for body-switching again. The question then of course is what the LRIGs really are, if they're memory parasites like SliceSabre said.

Still miss Kanon Wakeshima

Eumi

Here we reveal that if you bury a stand user, they grow into a stand plant that is complex enough to grow working eyeballs and vocal chords. Or maybe that only works for cats.

This concept will never be revisited, nor explained. When plant stands do come up again, it will be nothing like this, and in ten years when araki revisits the concept for a third time he will once again change his mind.

Neat ability though.

Also yeah, kinda wish they'd have taken a break if it could have kept the quality up. This show's still great but every other episode is looking kind of warped now.

pbayne

JoJo DiU 22-28

When Kira's not on screen people should be asking, Where's Kira?
Catching up and im a bit dissapointed overall by the last batch of episodes. Production is a bit all over the place and the episodes are more miss than hit.

March Lion 2

eehhhhhh. Still waiting to be wowed by this. 50% light comedy, 50% dry monolouging. Lol i know the mc guy has some issues but all in all he has a pretty sweet life so i can't really feel too sorry for him.

Girlish number 2

Crowd must be on LSD, that PV looked like a cat bashed against a wall. Still my sleeper favorite show this season.

Tiger Mask 3

Surely he has to job in this next fight.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 30

Interesting to have a complete Kira episode, the cat plant really brought out the "bizarre adventure" bit of the title.

Taruranto

Bernand 1-3#

Ahah, this is totally legit, thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Dictionaries are serious business #2

Come on now.

I like the show, but it really feels like it's too far up on its own ass sometimes. I understand they are trying to make things exciting, but I can't shake the feeling that "It's about underpaid Japanese salarymen making a dictionary".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 30:

Okay, even for Jojo this was quite the odd episode.

Tolstoy

Neo Member
Bungou Stray Dogs 16

anime this year peaked with this arc

although I haven't been watching haikyuu, saving it for a binge once it is complete

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bernand 1-3#

Ahah, this is totally legit, thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Dictionaries are serious business #2

Come on now.

I like the show, but it really feels like it's too far up on its own ass sometimes. I understand they are trying to make things exciting, but I can't shake the feeling that "It's about underpaid Japanese salarymen making a dictionary".

This is exactly the problem I am having with The Great Passage, I get that it wants to sell me the passion of the people who make the dictionary but at the end of the day, it is still the god damned dictionary.

Shin Getter Robo is one of my all time favourite super robot designs.

I also read the Getter Robo manga and watched Shin V.S. Neo.

I plan on giving the anime series from the 70s a watch sometime as well. It's got that awesome catchy intro!

Shin Getter Robo Armageddon was my first entry into the franchise. Saw it very shortly after I'd seen 0083 and such. I think I found the first VHS volume when going to a nearby mall to see if new episodes of 0083 had come in yet. Fuck it's my favorite Mecha of all time. My favorite design is actually the Black Getter though. That thing is bad ass and I love the episode where Ryoma just tears into the poor innocent people that had been converted by the invaders, doing the hard job our baby main cast couldn't bring themselves to do.

Shin vs Neo is okay, probably a little more in line with the tone of the original anime series. That one is super dated though. The over the top violent charm is completely removed and if you've seen Nadesico, Getter Robo's original anime is very close to Gekigengar 3 in terms of tone. I have a bootleg poorly subtitled DVD set which I think remains the only physical media copy of it. I like it less, but it's kinda good old campy fun.

I've made it through the original manga, and got part way through Getter Go's manga before I got sidetracked. I really want to read it alongside my wife since she's enjoyed the franchises entirely over the top nature.

but you're missing out on casually racist ryoma

And Casually Racist Ryoma is best Ryoma. I like Neo Getter a little less than the other OVAs, but man it's opening song is crazy Hype for me. Gonna try showing it to my wife once we finished watching the BBC's Chronicles of Narnia series (Best anime? no?)

Also:
To Be Hero Episode 3:
I think this is getting funnier and funnier. Or maybe I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome, I don't know. There's still a few jokes that are clear misses, but I'm enjoying it's messed up sexual humor.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls Episode 3:
Good match, building friendship, remembering why table tennis is amazing, sort of all played out about as I expected. I'm still positive on the show but I feel like it's all going to be fairly by the book now that Vegeta has been brow beat into submission by Goku-- I mean Agari lost to Koyori and realized the fun of combat-- I mean table tennis again.

Girlish Number Episode 2:
Not quite as on point as episode one. I felt like there was more of a reliance on "This is how it goes behinds the scenes" then providing any kind of insightful commentary. My favorite scenes were actually the build up to there being problems between the writer and the character designs they apparently keep screwing up.

Yuri!!! On Ice Episode 3:
Great episode, might actually be my favorite of the four my Wife and I watched today. Really felt the tidal shift between the two Yuri's, the self discovery, and the art didn't dip nearly as bad as I feared.

Sölf

Keijo!!!!!!!! 03
Well, this show is still batshit insane. That massaging for "research". Sadly, due to the opening, we already know what this research is for. And this swimsuit totally looks like a weird mecha suit. We MuvLuv now.

Lautaro

Drifters 3

So all the Ends are historical figures that had plenty of tragedy and betrayal during their lifes (my inner history nerd is so excited) and the Black King apparently
has holes in his hands? stigmas?
could it be him? would the author dare?

Now I'm gonna get disappointed if that's not the case but I'm enjoying this (they need to reduce those comedy sections though, I enjoy only a few of them).

This is exactly the problem I am having with The Great Passage, I get that it wants to sell me the passion of the people who make the dictionary but at the end of the day, it is still the god damned dictionary.

Anime has dealt with far more implausible subjects than the idea that people making dictionaries actually care about dictionaries.

Thud

That's exactly what makes me interested in this. Anime/manga that makes you so hyped about the weirdest things.

When I watched Yakitate Japan I knew. Eat that turtle bread kuroyan.

Thud

Rose of Versailles 7

So Antoinette turned 18 and she still sleeps alone with a doll. It was kinda cute seeing the sides of the Daphin and Antoinette from Oscars point of view. Enter The Swede, so badass he didn't put a mask on in a masquerade ball. So we have our high school threeway.

Of course the knife and wine party continues as well. Hmm, Oscar, Andre and that other french guy make a pretty good team. I still think she's not really fit to be a commander as she's making enemies way too fast.

I also have to say this anime is beautiful and not just because of the shoujo eyes, although the twinkle is good, but the painted art looks good. A pity some frames just lack details.

I'm expecting things to go south soonish, better keep watching.

PS: No mirrors were harmed in the making of this episode, although one window didn't make it. You will be remembered Window-chan.

Aki-at

Keijo!!!!!!!! - 2/3

Butt. Vacuum. Cannon.

Outside of the random super moves the characters pull out, there isn't anything that really grabs me here, but episode 4 looks like it'll have a good butt on butt action.

Luke Cage - 1

I like everyone in this show except for the main character.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anime has dealt with far more implausible subjects than the idea that people making dictionaries actually care about dictionaries.

Not about plausibility because I can imagine people being excited being excited about the dictionary along these very lines. My problem is I don't buy this pretentious sales pitch the series has been spinning about the dictionary being some grand literary experiment that is endlessly subjective.

Haikyuu S3 03

Hisoka without makeup is very lame. Please sideline him. For the final team, I like Shiratorizawa's lineup the least...

The Great Passage 02

The ending of this episode suddenly turned extremely soap opera. I guess we'll see if Otacon can make love bloom on the...dictionary page.

Sterok

Lostorage Incited Wixoss 3

I was going to say it's not Wixoss without a bit of incest, but that doesn't seem to be going on. Not sure if disappointed or not. And of course you lose your personality along with your memories, which isn't particularly surprising. Though we don't know the details of how that works, which will determine how much despair there really is. Suzuko still can barely keep herself together, though for someone with no experience and doing no practicing she's surprisingly good at the game. Hanna just rolls with everything pretty easily, even if she doesn't know everything.

Szadek

Cheers for the recommendations, that graphic is a pretty damn useful way to quickly get a feel for where each show is show coming from. I'm nearing the end of Utena at the moment and I didn't realise it's considered a mahou shojo show (although it seems obvious on reflection).
There is a bit of gray area with Utena, but most people seem to agree that it is part of the genre.
I've seen several. Off the top of my head, I've watched all the Sailor Moon seasons (except for the third part of Crystal), Cardcaptor Sakura, Smile Precure, and I'm around halfway through Heartcatch Precure. There's many more assorted magical girl anime I've seen, though if I'm not remembering them at the moment they may have just been unremarkable.

I like Flip Flappers for its amazing visuals, and the characters are likable as well. Some parts of it get a bit too fanservicey for my liking, though.

Edit: Looking above, I have also seen some of those Madoka derivatives like Yuki Yuna and Daybreak Illusion. I've also watched the four Nanoha seasons, though frankly I think I'm done with the franchise. I wasn't a big fan of the third season, and I found Vivid to be incredibly boring. I'll be skipping Vivid Strike and any other future entries.
Funny, I'm doing it the opposite way. I watched HC(loved it) first and now I'm watching Smile.
What's your opinion on these shows?

Haikyuu!! S3 Ep 3

Tsukki: "Hi. I'm the normal one. Nice to meet you."

b7WiHz3.jpg
b7WiHz3.jpg
b7WiHz3.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. Why is he so freakin cool!? Its just a matter of time before he completely stuffs Ushijima.

Fantastic episode as usual. Players evolving, strategies changing. So good.

JulianImp

So now gamers are "in"? If it's a love comedy, I'd rather it be more SNAFU than whatever this is supposed to be. "Will you go out with me and join our game club as well?" made me cringe so hard...

Girlish Number - #2
The producer almost reminds me of Shirobako's funny story guy in how he basically agrees to everything without solving anything, and work just keeps piling up. I fear to think what the series is going to look like if it's going to be anywhere close to that powerpoint-tier PV. Kansai girl being from Kansai and hanging a lampshade on her own accent was fun, since I've realized that the people who I've heard speaking thicker Kansai-ben have always been older men and women so far.

I'm just not going to say anything until the FMP announcement. Nothing at all. There'll be time for opinions after that. Right now, I'm all about facts.

The FMP announcement is soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom