• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my friends, can you guys give me some anime to watch from this season? I'm reading about the stuff in OP atm
Anything in the OP is a good watch IMO, so just choose whatever seems to fit your tastes.

But if you want to know, my personnal favorite so far

Haikyu s3
Occultic Nine
Bungo s2
Izetta
Gundam IBO s2
Yuri on Ice
All out!!

Ascheroth

Hello my friends, can you guys give me some anime to watch from this season? I'm reading about the stuff in OP atm
Any particular genres you like?

In any case, I'd recommend those from the new stuff:
Nobunaga no Shinobi (Short)
To Be Hero (Short)
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Izetta the Last Witch

And those are sequels airing right now, that are worth a watch as well:
JoJo Part 4
Haikyuu S3
Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2
Show By Rock S2

Cornbread78

Flip Flappers ep.3
The actions sequences were great and the episode was a lot of fun , but was I the only one that saw some ridiculous fanservice and gross sexual references, like the big hairy sack hanging on the giant thug? I mean, seriously, WTF? Why is the random adult style fanservice in this show even needed when it's clearly a children's fantasy adventure series? I mean, I'm not a prude and I expect it and accept it in a lot of anime, but the ages here....

Everything else was a lot of fun, but it was kinda distracting and lessened the overall experience .......

Izetta, The Last Witch
Magical Girl Raising Project
www.Working
March Comes in Like a Lion
Twin Star Exorcists

Flip Flappers ep.3
The actions sequences were great and the episode was a lot of fun, but was I the only one that saw some ridiculous fanservice and gross sexual references, like the big hairy sack hanging on the giant thug? I mean, seriously, WTF? Why is the random adult style fanservice in this show even needed when it's clearly a children's fantasy adventure series? I mean, I'm not a prude and I expect it and accept it in a lot of anime, but the ages here....

Everything else was a lot of fun, but it was kinda distracting and lessened the overall experience .......

But it's not...

Also, that character was no different than the other sexually dominating sort of woman you find in other shows. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Jex

Flip Flappers ep.3
The actions sequences were great and the episode was a lot of fun , but was I the only one that saw some ridiculous fanservice and gross sexual references, like the big hairy sack hanging on the giant thug? I mean, seriously, WTF? Why is the random adult style fanservice in this show even needed when it's clearly a children's fantasy adventure series? I mean, I'm not a prude and I expect it and accept it in a lot of anime, but the ages here....

Are you sure you aren't mistaken? Aren't you thinking of a Michael Bay movie?

Not that I'm saying the show doesn't have some questionable visuals - because it does.

BluWacky

Flip Flappers ep.3
Why is the random adult style fanservice in this show even needed when it's clearly a children's fantasy adventure series? I mean, I'm not a prude and I expect it and accept it in a lot of anime, but the ages here....

It's not a children's fantasy adventure series; it's a teenage/young adult men's fantasy adventure series that stars 14-15 year old girls and is providing exactly what its target audience (and its animators) are interested in.

Cornbread78

It's not a children's fantasy adventure series; it's a teenage/young adult men's fantasy adventure series that stars 14-15 year old girls and is providing exactly what its target audience (and its animators) are interested in.

But it's not...
Also, that character was no different than the other sexually dominating sort of woman you find in other shows. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Are they HS or MS girls? Either way, for some reason, it just feels really out of place in a show like this. To me, this feels like a children's adventure, but I get what is on the creator's minds, that's not hard to tell.

phaze

Soooo underage nudity ?

4p6p6.gif

Are we seriously going to have a massive argument about fanservice featuring one villain character who's probably not going to show up again after this episode and ignore literally everything else? Really?

dan2026

4p6p6.gif

Are we seriously going to have a massive argument about fanservice featuring one villain character who's probably not going to show up again after this episode and ignore literally everything else? Really?

No just general disappointment that so many anime series these days seem to rely on crappy fanservice.

4p6p6.gif

But they really did feel out of place and it puts a stain on an otherwise cool looking episode. The argument is valid.

Hoping it won't have too many more like these.

Flip Flappers - 03

Will likely continue watching all of it thanks to the creative visuals and, so far, nice animation.

Some scenes, though, I can't help but think of Hosanna's "Animators are perverts" statement(s).

Kenstar

no guys you dont understand i was on r/anime and there is this thing called subtext that they use and its addressing puberty or something and that's why things are the way they are

Cornbread78

Not at all, just sucks they had to go there in this episode (and this show as a whole) when everything about it was awesome. For the record, it wasn't just that character either; there were a few other questionable frames in there as well.

Wish they could draw an awesome episode like that without the crap that goes along with it.... Unfortunately, it's the norm in the industry.

Flip Flappers - 03
Will likely continue watching all of it thanks to the creative visuals and, so far, nice animation.
Some scenes, though, I can't help but think of Hosanna's "Animators are perverts" statement(s).

*headnod.gif*

no guys you don't understand i was on r/anime and there is this thing called subtext that they use and its addressing puberty or something and that's why things are the way they are

tumblr_inline_o71to0Zjv31rf1jqy_500.gif

No just general disappointment that so many anime series these days seem to rely on crappy fanservice.

But it's not "relying" on the fanservice. At all.

But they really did feel out of place and it puts a stain on an otherwise cool looking episode. The argument is valid.

Hoping it won't have too many more like these.

Calling it a "stain" is a bit much. Is the design questionable? Sure. It's really not worth making a big deal out of since that kind of stuff is not what the show is all about, and the many positives of this episode far outweigh it.

Igo

Does the One Piece anime have an animal like character that's drawn with brushstrokes? I only saw it a couple days ago but can't for the life of me remember where.

Flip Flappers - 03

Sure, you just need to look at the henshin sequence in the episode to see that. It's certainly not as extreme as the infamous Dog Days S2 sequence, but it's still got a sexual edge to how it portrays the nude female body. That said, since some people will automatically assume that all the animators involved must be male, it's worth noting that the henshin sequence was drawn by a female animator, Yumi Ikeda, who has previously worked at Khara and Doga Kobo, and the episode's overall animation direction was handled by Naoya Wada, a female ex-Ghibli animator.

Taruranto

Japanese Prison Break #1

Of course.

Takamatsu Shinji is a decent director and I usually watch his stuff with pleasure, especially comedies. This was... not bad? But I really don't know if I want to watch even more stuff this season, I'm fairly busy. I guess I'll give this some more episodes to see how it develops.

Erin #26

I feel like an idiot, I totally fell for this scene, doh! I thought there was going to be another time skip, but it seems the show is still not done with young Erin yet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sangatsu 1:
Their mouths are FREAKING ME OUT.

Berserk Movie 1 (First 20 minutes anyway):
My Berserk Adaptation Can't Possibly Be This Much Better Than Other People Let On.

Going to be watching this in parts, mostly because I can't really find the time to sit down and watch the whole thing from beginning to end otherwise. It's so far a lot better than people made it out to be. I was worried it'd be close to Berserk 2016 quality, but I actually think it's a pretty decent CGI/2D animated film. It's definitely skimming over a lot, but for what it is it isn't too bad so far. Wish I had more time to finish it in one go.

Cheating Craft Episode 3:

Well, it looks like this show is only really fun when we've got Cheating type exam shenanigans going on. Whenever it goes to focusing on characterization it gets a bit toss.

Trickster Episode 3:

My Edogawa Can't Possibly Be This Sloppy

A bit of a sloppy episode. I was generally all for the mystery, but everything starts to come quite easy to these characters, calling in the police, getting video evidence, all that stuff. I'm sure it was to make sure the story fit in 23 minutes, but man did it kill the suspension of disbelief.

Doesn't help that the direction is poorly executed leading to a lot of 'fudges in the story' (Like the way our heroes approach the scientists they're hiding from, and get within ten feet without being noticed even though they're clearly within peripheral vision.) I thought it was 'okay' as in, I can handle a couple of off episodes like this, but too many and I'll really sour on the show. Wife hated it though, heck she was pretty peeved at how bad it was.

Saiki K Episode 17:
Another solid and fun episode. It's my wife's favorite show outside Yuri on Ice this season and I'm still baffled it hasn't taken off at all. I rarely ever see anyone hype it or even talk about it, let alone acknowledge it exists.

Gundam IBO S2 Episode 3:
Aha, here's where all the action was. Pretty solid episode, wondering who the masked guy is, although I have a pretty good guess unless it's an entirely new character. I'm really happy with this Alt Universe Gundam, I rarely like anything outside U.C.

Ascheroth

Berserk Movie 1 (First 20 minutes anyway):
My Berserk Adaptation Can't Possibly Be This Much Better Than Other People Let On.

Going to be watching this in parts, mostly because I can't really find the time to sit down and watch the whole thing from beginning to end otherwise. It's so far a lot better than people made it out to be. I was worried it'd be close to Berserk 2016 quality, but I actually think it's a pretty decent CGI/2D animated film. It's definitely skimming over a lot, but for what it is it isn't too bad so far. Wish I had more time to finish it in one go.

The movies are fine, and get progressively better with each one. They still skip some cool stuff unfortunately.

Saiki K Episode 17:
Another solid and fun episode. It's my wife's favorite show outside Yuri on Ice this season and I'm still baffled it hasn't taken off at all. I rarely ever see anyone hype it or even talk about it, let alone acknowledge it exists.

Personally I found it too exhausting to watch a 'full' episode of it, and kept forgetting to watch the daily parts...
I did like what I watched though.

The movies are fine, and get progressively better with each one. They still skip some cool stuff unfortunately.

That's both good and bad to hear, I think I was mostly getting opinions from hardened Berserk fans, which I identify with, but aren't quite as open minded about modest adaptations, or CGI to depict the stunning artwork of the series. I'm generally more okay with adaptations failing to quite meet the Manga's visual standards.

I still balked at the run time though. I only realized after I started it that it's barely a movie at 76 minutes long.

Sterok

Flip Flappers 3

Somehow this show is best when Cocona and Papika aren't talking to each other. They still have no chemistry together. Other than that, bunch of weird shit happened, and we got a souped-up Precure fight. Interesting things are happening, but the show is doing a poor job of making me care.

Ascheroth

Bungou Stray Dogs #9-12

Decided to finish this since I wasn't missing much anyway and am interested in the season 2 happenings.
Those last 4 episodes were actually pretty fun.
I'd say the show as a whole is decent, but not great. It looks good, has good direction and some great action scenes and the characters are a fun bunch, but it kinda lacks that 'something', I dunno. Didn't help that it felt like it dragged a little in the middle (I think some anime original stuff went in there?).
So yeah, it was okay.

Bungou Stray Dogs #9-12

Decided to finish this since I wasn't missing much anyway and am interested in the season 2 happenings.
Those last 4 episodes were actually pretty fun.
I'd say the show as a whole is decent, but not great. It looks good, has good direction and some great action scenes and the characters are a fun bunch, but it kinda lacks that 'something', I dunno. Didn't help that it felt like it dragged a little in the middle (I think some anime original stuff went in there?).
So yeah, it was okay.
You did good, right now season 2 is really good. It's a huge step up from the more generic stuff season 1 did.

Thud

All Out 3

Yeah, a match. Although they are outclassed of course. They didn't really address the scoring system tho.

Flip Flappers 1

Minus the part where the robot molested a teenage girl, I liked it. Some cool animation on this one.

I absolutely love the ending credits however. Its so storybook-like and the animation during it is very whimsical and expressive.

Ok so:

Yuri on Ice 03:

Absolutely fantastic episode. One of the best shows of season.

Keijo 03:

I have grown to appreciate asses more thanks to this show.

Stella no Mahou 03

Second best cute girls doing cute things show.

Flip Flappers 03

Loved seeing the girls kick ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom