• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

lGkLI3k.gif
"I wish that Gen Urobuchi writes an mecha anime."

Anyway,
I finished Day Break Illusion
First of, recommend watching the speical prequel episode before watching the rest of the show, because it should have been the beginning of the show.
The show is far from flawless, espically when it comes to the story, but I liked it well enough.
It was a few very annyoing happits as well, such as introduction a character only to kill them in the same episode was part of someones character arc.
There are quite a few cool ideas in the show, but many of them aren't explored very well.
In general the show feels rushed.

I'm a fan of the art style, but sometimes it can look really goofy. The fights take place in a parallel dimensions, which are usually very creative.
The ending, while far from 100% conclusive, was pretty satisfying for me. It feels more like an end to an arc, than an end to the story, but it doesn't looks like we will every get a sequel.

JulianImp

Flip Flappers - #3
Fun episode, even though I wish we wouldn't have gotten an evil team so early and had some more episodes with just Papika and Cocona doing some adventuring, compared to how episodes now are probably going to focus more on their clash against the cultists, even if they still get to visit bizarre locales in pure illusion.

Things will be okay for me as long as the cultists don't hold the show hostage, but I still don't know what to expect from future episodes. The whole brainwashing helmlet thing already felt like the show was trying to do an ep3 twist to go on and become more serious, but I feel like previous episodes were perfectly fine with the sense of wonder and strangeness they evoked.

Then again maybe the show's going to turn away from that soon as well, since I don't remember the monster girl's crystal or the cultists being hinted at before. If anything, the plot turning into a race to gather the McGuffins before the evil team would be a letdown for me.

Izetta: The Last Witch 3

I'm gonna drop this here. It's not a completely awful show, but I struggle to think of anything it does well. I don't find the characters or central conflict interesting.

Copper

Flip Flappers - 3

Holy crap this went up on my list this season. This is the anime you want to watch for action. Those fight scenes were beautiful, I also loved the sound effects.

Jarmel

Banned

I can't translate all of it.

「フルメタル・パニック! IV」2017年秋 放送決定
シリーズ構成・全話脚本:賀東招二
キャラクターデザイン・総作画監督:堀内修
作画監督:山本彩
銃器デザイン:吉岡毅
メカニックデザイン:海老原兼武・渭原敏明
監督:中山勝一
アニメーション制作:XEBEC

I can't translate all of it.

「フルメタル・パニック! IV」2017年秋 放送決定
シリーズ構成・全話脚本:賀東招二
キャラクターデザイン・総作画監督:堀内修
作画監督:山本彩
銃器デザイン:吉岡毅
メカニックデザイン:海老原兼武・渭原敏明
監督:中山勝一
アニメーション制作:XEBEC

Director: Katsuichi Nakayama
Series Composition: Shoji Gatoh
Screenplay: Shoji Gatoh
Animation Director: Aya Yamamoto
Mech Design: Kanetake Ebikawa, Toshiaki Ihara
Animation Studio: Xebec.

Looks like Katsuichi Nakayama's directorial debut. Interesting.

Not really? Looking him up quickly he directed this in 2006. Unless there's something I'm missing regarding that.

JCG

Finally, it sure took them some time for that Full Metal Panic announcement.

Xebec can be a fine studio when the source material they're animating is good.

Probably won't look as consistently nice as KyoAni's work, but oh well.

rrvv

I still remember that Shoji Gatoh promised that the anime will have 2D mech animation. I guess his wish is not granted. Poor him

Finally, it sure took them some time for that Full Metal Panic announcement.

Xebec can be a fine studio when the source material they're animating is good.

Probably won't look as consistently nice as KyoAni's work, but oh well.

You never know, especially if Takashi Aoki ends up working on this. Fafner Exodus is a very attractive show, with consistently strong photography that certainly rivals KyoAni's strength in that department, even if the character animation is certainly not up with KyoAni's best.

I hope the Kyoani derailing stops. It's obnoxious to see people whining about them when it came out 12 years ago.

I would have thought Beyond the Boundary would have shut people up about wanting KyoAni to not "waste" their talent on non-action anime.

Jarmel

Banned
What people forget that Osamu Horuichi was the Chief Animation Director for both the Gonzo and KyoAni series. He's probably the lynchpin for the character animation so him being back means it should generally be fine.

I am late 2 days thanks to double shifts at work. I finally got to watch Shelter on the 4k TV. Beautiful short, easily my favorite this year. As I have found 2016 incredibly disappointing in both anime and games.

A lot of the imagery reminded me of 5cm/s, did A1 have any shared staff from that project? Seems too similar for mere coincidence.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Each of the three FMP series look better than the one that came before it. FMP! is barely animated in parts. Fumoffu, despite being a comedy season, has better action sequences. The Second Raid genuinely holds up well today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom