• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

You never know, especially if Takashi Aoki ends up working on this. Fafner Exodus is a very attractive show, with consistently strong photography that certainly rivals KyoAni's strength in that department, even if the character animation is certainly not up with KyoAni's best.

Honestly? It depends if Aoki is director of photography.

Point taken.

Assuming it's around Fafner Exodus levels of quality, everything should be alright.

I am late 2 days thanks to double shifts at work. I finally got to watch Shelter on the 4k TV. Beautiful short, easily my favorite this year. As I have found 2016 incredibly disappointing in both anime and games.

A lot of the imagery reminded me of 5cm/s, did A1 have any shared staff from that project? Seems too similar for mere coincidence.

No, not at all. Shelter was directed by Toshifumi Akai and solo animated by Megumi Kouno, so basically Idolmaster staff.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 37

Chikurun integrated himself surprisingly well into the group. In a good way. Principal really needs to stop disappearing at odd times. Crystal Ball is still great. Can't say I expected to get into the inner workings of the Frozen Mandarin industry. Well, any job that involves working with ice dragons has my approval. Kotoha really knows how to get on their good side.

Jarmel

Banned
1477115739010.png

This background is sloppy tho
Right so let me write up my general opinion on what we have so far. The director, Katsuichi Nakayama, is a complete wildcard. He directed some no name show, Good Witch of the West, back in 2006. I recently went back and watched a few of the episodes there and wasn't impressed with his storyboarding. He also recently directed Planetarian however he was a co-director on that and that series was really Naokatsu Tsuda's baby. He's also worked as an assistant director on a number of projects such as the Bodacious Space Pirates movie and the Evangelion Rebuild movies. So he does have experience working on mecha but there isn't any real solitary work recently to judge his qualities overall as a director on. He has gotten better since 2006 but I wouldn't characterize his storyboarding as exceptional. Honestly I don't even know how they picked him in the first place. It might have been that Horiuchi recommended him since Horiuchi worked with him on the Bodacious Space Pirates movie. The hope would be that he uses his Khara/Gainax contacts to get some of them working on this but who the hell knows. As for Gatoh, Gatoh is Gatoh. Supposedly he's written the scripts for the entire show already so hopefully that means they can start production sooner and ramp that quality up.

Osamu Horiuchi has been the Chief Animation Director and Character Designer for all seasons of Full Metal Panic. As seen, his quality can vary from Gonzo level to KyoAni level. Obviously a lot of this depends on the production scheduling. Still though, at least the character designs should be faithful to prior incarnations. It was almost a given that he would be coming back due to how much work he put into previous adaptations and he's not doing shit nowadays anyway. What's interesting on the character animation side is Aya Yamamoto who did a small amount of character animation direction for the second season of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. She hasn't done much so again it's hard to get a grasp on her capabilities. SNAFU TOO was well animated but that has less to do with her but rather the production as a whole. Takeshi Yoshioka has some experience and was one of the Chief Animation Directors for Valkyrie Mermaid that while being perverted as all hell, was fairly well animated. He was an Animation Director on the gorgeously animated first episode of Towanoquon and apparently was one of the three main animators for the series. I'm not sure how extensive his role will be in FMP IV as he's listed as the small arms designer and animation director, so I guess he's responsible for the hand gunfights? He's more of a mechanical animator as seen by his prior BONES work on Captain Earth and Eureka Seven AO. As for the mechanical designers, Kanetake Ebikawa and Toshiaki Ihara, they are both designers from the original light novels so I'm not sure if they really have to do anything. Maybe there are some tweaks that are involved or they have to come up with settei (formal animation outlines) for the mechs.

So my understanding is that the mecha animation is going to be a combination of CGI and 2D and it reflects that with the animators they picked, as they have experience with that. Masanori Nishii is a great pick as he was the Chief Mechanical Director for Yamato 2199 and he's done a bunch of work for Ebikawa's designs for Gundam 00. Below him is Takuya Matsumura who did a shitload of work on Lagrange, Exodus, and Broken Blade. My guess is that the studio/director is going to try and emulate the mix of 2D/CGI in the previously mentioned works. Here's an example of the 2D in Fafner Exodus:
I don't know if they're generally going to go for 2D and use CGI in the shots where it's just too hard to do in 2D or if it's going to be like Fafner Exodus where most of the mechs are in CGI except when they're not moving. Studio Orange wasn't mentioned however they do have a dedicated CGI director with Shōsuke Uechi who was the CG Technical Chief in Yamato 2199 so I don't know if they're going to outsource it to Sunrise D.I.D. again. The main question goes back to whether the mechs are going to be primarily 2D or CGI as that is going to have a heavy influence on the style of the show and the people they picked could go in either direction. Nakayama, the series director, has had experience working with both 2D and 3D mechs such as in Diebuster, Gurren Lagann, and the Rebuild Evangelion movies.
CvWXpkSUAAAjoA_.jpg:large

Honestly I can't tell whether this is 2D or CGI.
Then there's three big remaining question marks, the composer and the director of photography. If they get Takashi Aoki then this will definitely look on par with the KyoAni versions, possibly better. His work on Yamato 2199 and Fafner Exodus has been beyond reproach but it's possible he might be busy with Yamato 2202. He however did retweet the FMP news so it's possible he's working on it after all. The other person that could be the director of photography is Atsushi Iwasaki who has worked with Nakayama multiple times in the past on Satelight shows. Obviously Aoki would be preferable but who knows. As for the composer they played Toshihiko Sahashi's music but didn't announce him as composer so I'm scratching my head at that. Not to mention there wasn't any mention of the art director. A notable pick currently working at Xebec would be Hiroshi Kato who is the art director for Neon Genesis Evangelion, including the Rebuild movies. Kato is mindbogglingly enough working on Keijo, which frankly doesn't visually look all that good. He still worked (is working) on NGE though. Nakayama has also worked with the legendary art director Hiromasa Ogura on the Bodacious Space Pirates movie but who knows if that'll happen.

In conclusion, it's not a bad staff list but there's a lot of ????? that haven't been filled in. The producer repeatedly mentioned Yamato 2199 in regards to the staff so I'm guessing they're trying to pick up as many people from that production as possible but Yamato 2202 is also coming out next year so I'm not sure how strained Xebec is going to be trying to put out two mechanical animation heavy series in one year.

Clov

Funny, I'm doing it the opposite way. I watched HC(loved it) first and now I'm watching Smile.
What's your opinion on these shows?

I found Smile to be a cute and inoffensive magic girl show. I didn't find it to be anything special, but I enjoyed my time with it. So far, I'm liking Heartcatch much more. It's mostly due to the style; it looks much more interesting than Smile's.

Jarmel

Banned
So what I'm curious about is what this means for Yamato 2202. Is 2202 mostly the Fafner Exodus team or are they try to juggle people between both at the same time? It seems like Nishii would be working on 2202.

duckroll

So what I'm curious about is what this means for Yamato 2202. Is 2202 mostly the Fafner Exodus team or are they try to juggle people between both at the same time? It seems like Nishii would be working on 2202.

Yamato is the Fafner team. The director had to delay working on Exodus because of 2199.

Thud

Rose of Versailles 8

Once again we see that Antoinette doesn't listen to a fuck anyone tells her. Admitting that she's wrong seems to be a recurrent theme. Fersen is also a regular at court now. At some point he or Antoinette will cross a line and it's weird that only Oscar sees this. Probably because Oscar is with her most of the time.

I like how Andres fears are addressed and resolved in a single episode. Oscar is one hell of woman. Just look at this

Everyone acknowledges her like a man, except the alcoholic nanny who raised her. I wonder if the whole palace will slowly fall apart because both parties don't try to understand each other. Well, that's arranged marriage for you.

Nobody thought about the horses. Antoinette's horse probably turned into a croquette after this. RIP you magnificent beast.

Clov

I'm glad to see that there's people in here enjoying The Great Passage; the first two episodes have been great! I really want to know more about the protagonist, he seems like a really interesting character. Though I feel like I might have missed a detail somewhere, or forgotten something; do we know who the old woman he lives with is?

In any case it's definitely one of the season's best, if not the best. Though I have to say, I've really been enjoying Yuri on Ice as well. There's a lot of great shows this season, and I couldn't be happier about it!

sasuke_91

Because Porter Robinson wasn't born in oh glorious Anime Land. He's a filthy American. Therefore anything affiliated with him has the same value as any creation Michael Bay came up with.
But it was animated by a Japanese animation studio, which means that it's Japanese animation. This would make it anime, wouldn't it?

The funny thing is that even Japanese people aren't that strict with the term.

I'm glad to see that there's people in here enjoying The Great Passage; the first two episodes have been great! I really want to know more about the protagonist, he seems like a really interesting character. Though I feel like I might have missed a detail somewhere, or forgotten something; do we know who the old woman he lives with is?

She owns the boarding house he lives in.

But it was animated by a Japanese animation studio, which means that it's Japanese animation. This would make it anime, wouldn't it?

The funny thing is that even Japanese people aren't that strict with the term.

"Anime" in Japanese is simply a shortened form of "animation" and can be used to refer to animation regardless of its geographical origin (hence Frozen qualifies as anime). It's only when the word was imported into English that "anime" took on the meaning of specifically Japanese animation.

sasuke_91

Stop. You are being too rational. They are right, we are wrong.

You're probably right. I'm sorry :eek:

"Anime" in Japanese is simply a shortened form of "animation" and can be used to refer to animation regardless of its geographical origin (hence Frozen qualifies as anime). It's only when the word was imported into English that "anime" took on the meaning of specifically Japanese animation.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said they're not that strict with the term.

blurr

I've been reading that people aren't compelled by the idea of dictionaries being glorified so much as 'literary' works - I tend to think that dictionaries are more of a conduit to relay a story about words than dictionaries themselves. You can see the show literally make use of that metaphor for how dictionaries are useful. I've seen it dabble on that aspect in the first episode with Majime's intense analysis of various words, visually displaying words floating around and there was more on that this episode.

This episode showed them talking about how dictionaries aren't encompassing everything there is to vocabulary, its value is fleeting since either the meanings change over time or the words themselves become obsolete.

As mentioned I'm honestly fascinated by this theme, rather I was ever since I started learning a language I've noticed so many things about words and their usages even in my native language. Words that I just happened to use but never gave thought as to what or why I used something that way.

The Great Passage - 02

This show gets the OP of the season vote from me.

Never has a show this "slow" had so many frames put into its character movements. Specially eye movement, which Majime cannot stop doing due to his nervousness. I am being hyperbolic of course, but my brain is used to barely any animation for this kind of show. It's appreciated though, makes things even more beautiful and my eyes just can't help but follow the character's movements as they express themselves.

CLAMP School detectives 12

I just wanted to note that this episode was the best. A father, that disappeared for years, disguise himself as Santa out of season to come and help his son in his love life. Akira has no idea it's his father too. CLAMP stories are so out there and so weird that it makes them so good. Akira just became the best of the 3 man characters. That mask made his cool factor jump 3 time!

Haikyuu!! S3 - 03

The last 7 minutes or so where Karasuno switched their tactics to "Total Defence" was one of the hypest things and definitely a highlight for the week.

Thud

If enough people use it wrong, then it becomes right. :p

cj_iwakura

Terror In Resonance - End

Boy you all weren't kidding. The first few episodes are great, then... I don't even know. The cops were the best characters, I didn't give a damn about the 'main' characters or their unfocused plan. The plot just went to hell when they elaborated on their backstory. It would have been stronger if they were just crazy terrorists and the show focused on being a procedural crime drama.

No such luck, Five had to come in and turn the whole thing into full-on crazy town. It never recovered, and the ending was just bonkers. I'm assuming it was rushed to all hell, since it ended at 11 episodes.

Is Danganronpa on anything but Funimation yet? How was the Planetarian show? I've finished the VN.

duckroll

If enough people use it wrong, then it becomes right. :p

That's exactly how language works though. Language is an artificial construct created by man, so it evolves as it is used and there is no right or wrong ultimately as long as it is understood. The only purpose for language is for the communication of ideas.

Is Danganronpa on anything but Funimation yet? How was the Planetarian show? I've finished the VN.
If you are talking about the first season and you really don't want to watch it on funimation site/app, you can but it for cheap on psn. Think they are even having a sell on it right now.

Bubuki Buranki 16

To be quite honest I never expected to show to actually kill off any of the kids. Like I expected them to get placed in highly dangerous situations that would risk their lives of course but they always came out ok on the other end. Yet here we have Team Russia, who finally have seen the light and were walking the better path, all get picked off one by one. I actually feel bad for them. Oh and its great to finally know what the hell the Bubuki/Buranki are. It isn't the most deep explanation but it is just enough.

Szadek

I found Smile to be a cute and inoffensive magic girl show. I didn't find it to be anything special, but I enjoyed my time with it. So far, I'm liking Heartcatch much more. It's mostly due to the style; it looks much more interesting than Smile's.
I more or less agree with you. So far I watched 16 epsiodes Smile and I'm having fun with it, but I liked HV a more at that point.
Some of the spoilers I have seen for smile look pretty cool,though, but it will take me quite sometime before I get there.

That's exactly how language works though. Language is an artificial construct created by man, so it evolves as it is used and there is no right or wrong ultimately as long as it is understood. The only purpose for language is for the communication of ideas.

Yeah, loan words often shift in meaning or increase in specificity to benefit the recipient language, and that's okay. It's not wrong because we're not speaking Japanese.

The anime subreddit issue is less about definitions—you're welcome to make the distinction between int'l co-pro and full JP production if you like—and more to do with enforcing a rule when common sense should have told them to do the opposite. All they achieved was harming user experience by barring discussion on a topic their users would reasonably want to discuss. The key word being reasonably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom