• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided on the anime I'm going to watch next month, time permitting.

Gundam 00 Season 2
Zeta Gundam, the terrible English Dub

Then the four shows that made up the short lived chiller block, all of which were terrible.

Also going to catch up on One Piece, both subbed and dubbed.

00 season 2 is great! have fun.

Zeta gundam on the other end is meh. While the action is pretty, apart from like Quattro and Scirroco all the characters are so lame. All the girls were driving me insane! Also that ending...

I found the Dub good tho!

Do give us your opinion afterwards!

Ugh now I'm remembering how
Lockon was replaced with literally another Lockon and how Sergei got killed off in the stupidest way possible. Also INNOVATORS INNOVATORS INNOVATORS.

Remember how the final confrontation with Setsuna and Grahm that was a five minute fight (it was more like a scuffle, really) that amounted to NOHTING after being built up to for the entire show?!?

Remember how Louise got hit with a magic light and suddenly she's all better?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
3 Lions Episode 3:

So as it turns out this series is really amazing when it learns to get a handle on its tonal shifts and comedic moments

Magical Girl Raising Project 4

Great episode. It was fun seeing people use their magic more, particularly in this type of situation. Ruler's plan was actually very clever.

And I did not see
that death coming. Nemurin's dream dive convincing Swim Swim to turn on Ruler is a great twist. I actually assumed Ruler was safe this episode and would make it further into the "game." That devious little girl is going to be one to watch.

Occultic;Nine 3

I'd say this has improved greatly from the runaway locomotive that was the first episode. It's still fast paced, but not as problematically so as the first episode. Actually, I would be interested in going back and rewatching the first episode after seeing how things have unfolded since then.

The mysteries and all the occult stuff happening are enough to keep me interested personally. Definitely looking forward to this more.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 4

4le9lyNl.jpg
sV6Y3Qql.jpg

nlfzVG5l.jpg
9yVeBYpl.jpg

ChQDbZXl.jpg
4wai2CUl.jpg

3lpRO58l.jpg
WUCugp7l.jpg

tpSVJdBl.jpg
ykixUD7l.jpg

Don't normally care to post a bunch of images without a good reason but the preview from last week had me hopeful about this episode. Those hopes were validated in what was the show's most visually realized episode yet. I know it 's silly to say that only four episodes in but I had some reservations given the inconsistent quality of the first three. I don't think the show will maintain this quality either but if we get these sort of showcases for the big matches, I think the lesser quality product acting as connective tissue could be forgivable.

Girlish Number 03

Can't tell if the blond girl is evil or not, but I want purple hair to step on me.

3gatsu no Lion 03

Liked that episode better then the last one. The chubby shogi player is tolerable but I don't really like the other two side chars at all. Shows at its best when its Rei and the sisters.

Tiger Mask W 04

Yeah that was super awesome. The best stuff you get from Toei that you usually only see on PreCure or One Piece movies.

I guess as a trade off One Piece and Dragon Ball Super will look extra bad today!!!

KraytarJ

Just finished my first time watching Cowboy Bebop, it was pretty good. Mainly it just oozed style both visually and especially musically, the main cast was also excellent with a lot of the side character being pretty cool too. My biggest problem is just how so much of the series didn't matter, it felt like with a few exceptions unless an episode focused on a character's backstory it was just filler.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Just finished my first time watching Cowboy Bebop, it was pretty good. Mainly it just oozed style both visually and especially musically, the main cast was also excellent with a lot of the side character being pretty cool too. My biggest problem is just how so much of the series didn't matter, it felt like with a few exceptions unless an episode focused on a character's backstory it was just filler.

;_________________;

psssst that was the actual content of the show, not """filler"""

phaze

what have you done ...

folks round here don't take kindly to this kind of usage of the dreaded "filler" word.

My biggest problem is just how so much of the series didn't matter, it felt like with a few exceptions unless an episode focused on a character's backstory it was just filler.

That is the shows greatest strength though...

If Mushroom Samba is filler then we might have to change the definition of filler to "Stuff better then the actual main plotline"

KraytarJ

That is the shows greatest strength though...

If Mushroom Samba is filler then we might have to change the definition of filler to "Stuff better then the actual main plotline"
That was actually a pretty good episode, my problem is more with stuff later. Toward the end I just wanted to learn more about what happened to Fey but instead there was an episode about a fat magician, a weird cowboy, and a cult. Although the Fey plot line wasn't any good anyways.

You know, episodes can matter even if they don't tie into a Big Plot. There is such as thing as episodic narratives, and they're not inherently bad.

Although the Fey plot line wasn't any good anyways.

This is just......

Mature

That was actually a pretty good episode, my problem is more with stuff later. Toward the end I just wanted to learn more about what happened to Fey but instead there was an episode about a fat magician, a weird cowboy, and a cult. Although the Fey plot line wasn't any good anyways.
my heart...

Narag

Yeah there's like 5 canon episodes and nothing but fluff otherwise. I'm surprised it was so critically praised by older anime fans but I figure they just took what they could get.

Yeah there's like 5 canon episodes and nothing but fluff otherwise. I'm surprised it was so critically praised by older anime fans but I figure they just took what they could get.

It was the early days of anime in 1998, standards were much lower than nowadays.

KraytarJ

Why is Fey's storyline so beloved? She gets a massive info dump from some random old lady at a very convenient time for the story (why didn't something like that happen sooner?) and we're told she was in an accident (unless I'm missing something I don't get what she was doing that led to that accident or why) and then someone decided to cryogenically Freeze her for some reason, which I guess is because she can from money but I was hoping for something more interesting because it seemed like there was something more nefarious and interesting afoot when she first learned she woke up. Sure the idea of someone out of time like her to respond to that the way she did is kind of interesting but the set up isn't good.

Thud

While the episodic nature held me back plenty of times, filler it is not. It tells its story through the adventures of these bountyhunters.

Watch the movie for an encore.

3-gatsu no Lion 3

This is about what I expect the average episode to be about. As we go along characters get fleshed out and more memories will resurface.

Going on the preview, expect the next episode to be a bit more cheerful. That's the nature of this beast, bouncing between light and dark tones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not one for reference-based fanservice, but I thought this was cute because it was the only reason I watched Attack on Titan (whatever happened to potato girl? I assume she died).

CEHrMEtl.jpg

Also, I don't know why, but seeing an anime using the "romanized" version of impossible for the scream just made me laugh.
8Jk4FXpl.jpg

Uneventful anime is still uneventful, but the Kobayashi screams are still there at least.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
3-gatsu no Lion 03
This show is just so unpleasant from a visual standpoint. Absolutely overrun with flat side or head on character shots that weakly frames increasingly uninteresting drama. The state of things was laid out plainly as the show spins its wheels explaining the obvious, but this story never moves or delivers on fresh emotion. Blunt and dully delivered narration leads the viewer about step by meandering step as the art obsesses over simplistic and unremarkable visual metaphors that add nothing to the story, and for whatever reason linger in scenes they have no place in. It winds up feeling haughty and juvenile, though perhaps that is only natural when the show attempts to deliver wisdom and soul searching through a fourteen-year-old that fails to have any presence in his own story. Shaft's inability to handle this property well with the resources they've devoted to it is really just pathetic though.

Why is Fey's storyline so beloved? She gets a massive info dump from some random old lady at a very convenient time for the story (why didn't something like that happen sooner?) and we're told she was in an accident (unless I'm missing something I don't get what she was doing that led to that accident or why) and then someone decided to cryogenically Freeze her for some reason, which I guess is because she can from money but I was hoping for something more interesting because it seemed like there was something more nefarious and interesting afoot when she first learned she woke up. Sure the idea of someone out of time like her to respond to that the way she did is kind of interesting but the set up isn't good.

There are dozens of us, dozens!

Yeh I was similarly unhappy with her storyline and the character in general. Not only didn't it amount to much more than some sentimental episode(s) that were only half deserved, her character didn't seem to have developed after the fact. I mean the majority of Cowboy Bebop characters don't seem to feature much development and that isn't a priority for the show anyways, seeing as they're mostly middle aged and pretty set into their lifestyle. But when you do this kind of storyline for Fey then don't seemingly ignore it afterwards. Though I admittedly cannot recall many details since it's been a while that I've seen it.

Btw. the overarching plot concerning the syndicate wasn't anything to write home about either.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to watch some episodes of Good Witch of the West - Astraea Testament to have an idea about Katsuichi Nakayama's storyboarding/directorial level. Just because nobody watched it doesn't mean it can't be good. This is an adaptation of a shoujo style manga from 2004 produced by Hal Film Maker, essentially a rank C studio making an adaptation of rank C material. The plot is somewhat interesting as it's mostly a government conspiracy set in a fantasy kingdom dealing with the end of the world. As for the production values, there's barely any real animation throughout the four episodes I looked at and the art direction is pretty much nonexistent. It's somewhat hard to judge when you're looking at bad 480p rips from a show in 2006 but you can tell this wasn't exactly a stunner. What I was more interested in was Nakayama's storyboarding capabilities as that should be evident regardless of the animation quality of the show. Not to mention storyboarding is possibly the most important aspect to the quality of an episode. My first impression is that he's not a particularly good storyboarder as he uses a lot of flat camera angles and panning. This is immediately apparent by contrast when Masayuki, one of the Rebuild directors and assistant director for the NGE TV show along with Tsurumaki, storyboarded the final episode and it's so much better.
For example there are slick transitions such as above. Masayuki's storyboarding has more humor in it, things coming into the camera, more variety in camera angles, basic levels of symbolism such as the use of objects to represent emotional distance, and better action sequences. I guess that's to be expected when you're comparing someone conceivably on Tsurumaki's level with a guy that doesn't storyboard pretty much at all.

DiGiKerot

So I decided to watch some episodes of Good Witch of the West - Astraea Testament to have an idea about Katsuichi Nakayama's storyboarding/directorial level. Just because nobody watched it doesn't mean it can't be good. This is an adaptation of a shoujo style manga from 2004 produced by Hal Film Maker.

The original work was a series of novels (I think it was a light novel imprint in Japan, IIRC), as opposed to a manga. Tokyopop actually put a few volumes of it out in English back in the day. I remember reading them but not watching any of the anime, because that's what I did back in the day. The books were actually OK, if a little formulaic (of both a bunch of Western children's literature, and the authors own prior fantasy series).

I was in marching band once so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I like that they try to bring in real aspects to the anime but some things bother me. A perfect marching band in two weeks and using flawless audio during performances just don't happen. Also no mention of spit valves is disappointing.

The sexual tension is real though.

Crocodile

Pretty much no studio can do 26+ episodes of quality in a row now.

DavidPro should have done split cours.

I noticed the amount of massive praise for the episodes back in Spring had been disappearing as of late. People were calling this one of the all-time great shounen adaptations where the anime is better than the manga. I mean, I'm still seeing praise, but nothing on the level like it was back then.

Shit, this is a shame. :(

I remember in the earlier episodes they had those slick transitions like all over the place but they've basically since disappered :(

I love all of DiU but I can't really disagree. Atom Heart Father feels like blue balls after the first Kira encounter (although there are good fights in that arc) but from what I remember Stray Cat should put it back on track because this episodes about Kira almost exclusively.

I remember expressing this same opinion in the OT thread and getting roasted for it. The stuff just following the encounter with Kira & SHA wasn't that great honestly. Highway Star and this latest episode have been pretty good though so hopefully we are on the right track all the way to the finale.

MartyStu

March Comes like a Lion 1 - 2

This is the first anime I have watched this season and I really like it.

Still, I have grievances:

-Whats up with that bizarre CG fan in the second episode?
-Why does the narration suck so badly and why can't Shaft decide between narrating or having characters say shit out loud?
-Whats up with all the mood whiplash? Like, pick a fucking tone and stick with it.
-Not sure why the story is told in such a disjointed fashion. It adds very little.
-Not sure why we can hear what those cats are thinking. Seems overly silly. We already have enough cute.

Hmm, when I put it that way, maybe I do not like it as much as I think...

March Comes like a Lion 3

Er... I think I am out.

Occultic;Nine 01-03

Decided to pick this up due to Steins;Gate but was still wary of it due to Chaos;Head and Robotics;Note and episode 1 which I struggled through; really disliked the MC and Ryouka whose design (and so far character) screams fanservice for the sake of fanservice. Luckily episode 2 and 3 kicked it up and brought the mystery elements in and focus was shifted off the MC unto other characters which I liked.

Now with the focus seeming to shift back to MC in the next episode I do hope he's more bearable to watch now.

Plot Speculation:
So it seems the mass suicide in the lake is going to be a central plot point here due to it being foreshadowed at the beginning of the series.

Everything before Episode 47 of Dragon Ball Super is just a recap of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F right? The other episodes aren't on Crunchyroll.

Cornbread78

Drifters ep.3
I'm not sure what I just watched through all the blood, but I did see a WWII fighter tear up a dragon and a 1800's gatling gun mow down a midevil orc army, so yeah, that was pretty cool, lol.

Crocodile

Everything before Episode 47 of Dragon Ball Super is just a recap of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F right? The other episodes aren't on Crunchyroll.

No Episode 28 is when "New to Dragon Ball Super" material starts with the Universe 6 Tournament arc. The previous arcs aren't straight recaps because they did change somethings around (plot points and characters) but the endings are similar enough to the movies that you don't need to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom