• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember expressing this same opinion in the OT thread and getting roasted for it. The stuff just following the encounter with Kira & SHA wasn't that great honestly. Highway Star and this latest episode have been pretty good though so hopefully we are on the right track all the way to the finale.

Like most specific OTs, the vibe in that thread is overly positive and far less critical.

Everything before Episode 47 of Dragon Ball Super is just a recap of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F right? The other episodes aren't on Crunchyroll.

nope its missing the tournament arc and a lot of fun one-off episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Planetarian ONA-
DfQRGjt.jpg
Well this wrecked me but I'm weak against emotional material. It's like a version of Wally-E except the robot won't shut up and there's no fat humans in spaceships. Give and take. You can definitely see where the story is going and there's some obvious foreshadowing in the third episode leading up to Yumemi's end but the story does a good job of hitting those emotional notes. Earlier in the week I had mentioned that I wanted an anime that dealt with the end of the world after watching Shelter and this hit many of the notes I wanted. It's essentially dealing with the loss of hope due to the world literally coming to an end. Nobody was ever coming to get Yumemi who was doomed to forever wait.
I thought the script at times highlighted how her mind wasn't 'in' the world as it is now. Obviously that's probably from the original VN but I thought it did a good job of showing how the world used to be and how broken it is then. I guess you could say there was a mono no aware vibe to the work although the art/production couldn't really match it as well as I would have liked. The world is dead in this as there's no wildlife, little grass, and a very gray color palette. I guess this was intentional so as to highlight how there isn't any real beauty left in this world unlike say The Last of Us. Knowing that
humanity is going to go extinct and nobody is going to fix Yumemi
is some depressing shit.

Dragon Ball Super 63

That was a good episode, but the best part was Vegeta and Goku arguing and not listening to Zamasu's Stupid Mortals speech and him acknowledging that he's just talking to himself

Next episode tho -
Zamasu and Black fusion lol. I was wondering how this fight could keep going.

Heybot 06

Heybot is a show that continues to exist. Maybe.

One Piece 761

This episode covered 13 pages, I think. This and the last four episodes have been a slog through a 3 chapter flashback arc. People said I was overstating One Piece's pacing when I said it can sometimes cover half a chapter.

I thought it was great, it had some flaws but it was still highly entertaining. While it's a mecha show, it was not really that much focused on mechs and the fights, instead probably half of the episodes were focused on the characters and their life in the school. I've enjoyed the comedy parts in FMP more than the mecha ones.

Thanks for reminding me of this! My wife doesn't take to Mecha, most of it anyway, because of the focus on the battles and robots more so than the characters. She's also a huge comedy buff, so I really need to try and see if FMP would actually be a startlingly good fit for her.

Keijo - 03

I see you Aoba gathering data by massaging butts, this fucking show. XD

My wife and I are enjoying it for the pure absurdity. Although she's upset that fans were hyping it up as being more than it's absurd fanservice, when, I mean, what's beneath that doesn't at all negate it's main attraction. It's decent/good, but not enough to suddenly make fan service haters change their minds.

Girlish Number 02

Not as sharp as the first ep but Chitose is still an entertaining MC.

Sangatsu 03

The shogi match was bearable but this show resonates with me the most when its in the somber mode as evidenced by second half.

Yeah I felt Episode 2 wasn't as solid as Episode 1, but she's still a very fun character.

And as for March, I feel the same way. I don't mind, and even like the sibling comedy, but the shogi players stuff was bleck for me. I really hope it finds a better balance between its silly nature and darker aspects.

00 season 2 is great! have fun.

Zeta gundam on the other end is meh. While the action is pretty, apart from like Quattro and Scirroco all the characters are so lame. All the girls were driving me insane! Also that ending...

I found the Dub good tho!

Do give us your opinion afterwards!

I feel a great disturbance in the Gundam Fandom, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in anger and became filled with inconsolable rage.

To be fair, I sort of agree. I don't think Zeta Gundam is nearly as hype as hardcore Gundam Fans believe. It's quite sexist in places, the story can get a bit dumb at times, and isn't as good as the first Gundam in my opinion. Though I don't know I'd actually go as far as to call it meh.

Dragon Ball Super has been added to crunchyroll now.

Yeah my Wife was reading manga and the Crunchy app crashed lol it seems like the DB fandom was DYING for this official release, dub or no dub. I was on 23 before I sort of lost the opportunity to fit it into my schedule, but I'll probably pick it up again once the earlier episodes go up.

Also:
Flip Flappers Episode 3:
Starting to get a real Space Dandy vibe, as in, the show's tone and style changes episode to episode. First was Ghibliesque, Second was Acid, and third is like Trigger/Gainax with a bit of Dragon Ball mixed in for good measure. I'm enjoying it for the sheer whimsy and absurdity-- but I feel like there's no real substance beneath it all.

Keijo Episode 3:
Loving the sheer absurdity, and heck, I'm the kind of guy okay with fan service and even enjoys it from time to time. So this is fulfilling everything I was hoping it would as the anime I was most excited for this season.

Drifters Episode 3:
I like the overall story, especially now that we've solidified what this whole thing is about, but man that comedy is really mood destroying as it goes on. And outside of a few references I don't get, which I'm willing to just accept I'm not the target for their humor, it's generally pretty meh.

Occultic;Nine - 03

Yo this show is creepy. That kid in the intro scene gave the chills. Maybe I shouldn't watch show right before bed. Still this show is turning out to be quite interesting. I'm a big fan of the detective dude, the guy is slick.

Sorry, I mean a good action anime that has likable characters with some depth. Only show I'm watching so far this season is Gundam, and some of Izetta (seems like an OK show, but I'll probably drop it).

If you're looking for good action, the latest Flip Flappers episode certainly delivered on that.

Occultic;Nine is a pretty bad Light novel adaptation that a lot of people are watching

Yeah, I was gonna look into that, but Crunchyroll is missing the first two episodes at the moment for some reason (they have a notice that they'll be returning at a later date, it's a pretty weird situation and pretty vague explanation) http://www.crunchyroll.com/occulticnine

watch Mob Psycho from last season

Thanks, I missed that one!

If you're looking for good action, the latest Flip Flappers episode certainly delivered on that.

Thanks, I'll check that out!

The popularity of LN adaptations in here has certainly risen to a high degree.

I can just imagine what this thread's gonna be like when The Rising of The Shield Hero gets an anime adaptation someday.

sonicmj1

Sorry, I mean a good action anime that has likable characters with some depth. Only show I'm watching so far this season is Gundam, and some of Izetta (seems like an OK show, but I'll probably drop it).

Mob Psycho and Thunderbolt Fantasy were both really good from last season. And Jojo, of course, though that's a long-running show.

I can't think of anything I'm watching from this season that fits that bill (besides Gundam). I haven't picked it up, but maybe Drifters?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The popularity of LN adaptations in here has certainly risen to a high degree.

I can just imagine what this thread's gonna be like when The Rising of The Shield Hero gets an anime adaptation someday.

People are going to freak out about the
slavery
aspect.

My wife and I are enjoying it for the pure absurdity. Although she's upset that fans were hyping it up as being more than it's absurd fanservice, when, I mean, what's beneath that doesn't at all negate it's main attraction. It's decent/good, but not enough to suddenly make fan service haters change their minds.

That happens when the battles really start and the diversity of techniques starts to show, with next week being when things really kick off.

Even then though, the East-West war is what elevates it above just a fanservice series.

Jex

Occultic;Nine's 1 and 2 got pulled.

Due to a decision by the production committee, episodes 1 and 2 are unavailable at this time. The episodes will return at a later date. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Well, that first episode was truly god awful. Still an interesting development.

Pooya

They've pulled the episodes? Maybe this is some in show arg, those were ghost episodes!

I'm enjoying the show in a guilty pleasure way, it's ok, I've seen worst, it's kinda fun though....in a creepy way.

Lain

Cross Ange 4-9

I feel like the show already reached a depressing farce level with the mix of idiocy from the main characters AND the supporting cast. The nonsensical racism which turns these families in pieces of shit is off the chart. Apologize for being born, says Sylvia to her sister. You shouldn't have been born, says Hilda's mom to Hilda. And the individuals unable to use magic are the violent monsters, while the people cheer watching Ange get whipped.

Negator

Cross Ange 4-9

I feel like the show already reached a depressing farce level with the mix of idiocy from the main characters AND the supporting cast. The nonsensical racism which turns these families in pieces of shit is off the chart. Apologize for being born, says Sylvia to her sister. You shouldn't have been born, says Hilda's mom to Hilda. And the individuals unable to use magic are the violent monsters, while the people cheer watching Ange get whipped.

Oh you have no idea. Cross Ange is a special type of show.

More Yuuki Yuuna is good. Seems like the first half of the new series will cover the prequel novels, and then the second half will be an actual sequel. I hope 6 episodes will be enough to pull off something compelling.

jgminto

Occultic;Nine isn't actually any better past the first episode, it's just no longer completely incompetent. A murder mystery/crime thriller like Occultic;Nine needs to immediately grab the viewer's interest in the core plot and maintain that high intensity with plot development and character interaction. While Occultic;Nine has the illusion of fast pacing, it's actually doing very little with its time. The third episode introduced zero new information and just restated things the viewer already knew and the character interactions didn't make up for this lack of development. The conversation between the manga artist and the young detective told me very little about their characters other than they are both unnecessarily cryptic and weird. The show has failed to provide a likeable protagonist or any reason to be interested in the story behind the murder of the professor. While it's no longer a complete hackjob, it's still a failure as a thriller.

Szadek

After such an terrible first episode, I want nothing to do with the anime anymore.
It's a huge red flag and it shouldn't suprise anymore if the show falls apart later on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 4:

Right, so the main thrust of this episode is the starter set of villains have been disposed of and Tekkedan can move to the actual conflict of the season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, wouldn't be shocked if those episodes were pulled because they sucked that harshly. Occultic;Nine had one of the worst first episodes in recent memory.

Occultic;Nine isn't actually any better past the first episode, it's just no longer completely incompetent. A murder mystery/crime thriller like Occultic;Nine needs to immediately grab the viewer's interest in the core plot and maintain that high intensity with plot development and character interaction. While Occultic;Nine has the illusion of fast pacing, it's actually doing very little with its time. The third episode introduced zero new information and just restated things the viewer already knew and the character interactions didn't make up for this lack of development. The conversation between the manga artist and the young detective told me very little about their characters other than they are both unnecessarily cryptic and weird. The show has failed to provide a likeable protagonist or any reason to be interested in the story behind the murder of the professor. While it's no longer a complete hackjob, it's still a failure as a thriller.

I disagree ever since episode one we have been getting a steady stream of information, while the mystery itself is growing. The show is also still introducing most of its cast and how entangled they are in the mystery.

For exemple occult girl; at first while she seems completly disconnected from the murder case, she now seems quite connected to it with everything that happened with her brother. That brother mystery was teased since episode 1 and we now can see how it may or may not be a factor in all the occult stuff happening.
Did she really brought her brother back to life? How strong are her link with the occult stuff that's currently happening? Why does her demon who never kills suddenly would have broken his vow and kill Hashigami?

This happens with many characters and they do it well.
Who is really melon girl? Why does she fake her personality? Did she lead Gamotan to the murder scene? How linked is doujin girl to murder scene? Could she predict it? It seems that way and the best character, detective boy, seem to be the closest to uncovering it and that little voice guiding Gamotan seems to not want it to happen.

So yea I disagree that's it's bad. I find the mystery thrilling and super interesting. The characters are all so good and the art is fantastic. Ever since episode one I think this is the best show right now and I stand by my words.

I'm gonna be honest. Part of me doesn't know how to feel about this. On one hand I'm excited for more Yuki Yuna but on the other hand I don't know what can be done to continue the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom