• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Man, I just realized, again, how much crap I want to check out this season:

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara
Black Clover
Just Because!
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Ousama Game The Animation
Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Code:Realize: Sousei no Himegimi
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
Imouto sae Ireba Ii
Net-juu no Susume
Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara
Itsudatte Bokura no Koi wa 10 Centi Datta
Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyokina, Mondaiji
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Yuusha no Shou
Mahoutsukai no Yome

I suggest checking out Kekkai Sensen.

Narag

Shonen haters are disgusting. Aren't some of you big fans of idol anime? People in glass houses, yo.

Edit: Ah fuck, top of the page lol. Oh well, I was willing to defend this opinion anyway.

They both suck with the occasional overachieving outlier coming through as exception rather than rule.

Pretty amazing how fast I fell off the Soma train. Made the OT for the first season and enjoyed both the show and the manga, by the time S2 rolled around I was disliking the manga and by now I barely given enough of a shit to read it each week.

The Azami arc stuff is fairly bad, and also I may have just found inherent weaknesses in the series that were always there. Or maybe just having a long running series based on cooking cant work because every aspect that makes someone better has to be meticulously explained by sideline characters

blurr

Hot Take: Black Clover's better than Bleach. It's not top tier, but it's enjoyable enough. I've read the first 100 chapters and I'll be honest and say I like it better than I did Bleach at the same point.

Not driving a convincing argument there, much less an insightful one. You'll need to break it down better than that to make a strong point.

If you're watching shonen for serious plots and not FRIENDSHIPS and fight scenes, then You Are Already Dead you've already made a mistake.

Well, I watch shonen for the character ideals and how well they're woven into the story/setting over time - the action carries weight partly thanks to them and partly based on how compelling or interesting the world's mythos/fiction is setup. Each of those factors can differ to varying degrees in every shonen, some break beyond a point, especially likely if they're long running.

You an me are now fighting... Like, outside, right now, circle up to hide us from the adults.......

Erina is $hit. Not just $hit, but wet, chunky, smelley and inhuman $hit.....

I hate how the show tries to constantly ship Soma with Erina. He needs a real woman, not an uppity, tsundere, bit(h monster.....

Xia has it right.... Megumi is true wifey material.

Now, on hamster girl? Yeah, she sucks, but the show was at least fun to watch!

You never addressed why you're watching the monster that is Umaru-chan. Like...why?

I said best girl is Megumi-chan. How dare you question my loyalty!? I just accepted the fact that the manga and show are pushing for Erina/Soma ship and I just said she wasn't the worst. There are other plenty of other girls in the show that are the worst. Like the meat girl.

Edit: Sorry. Didn't read to the end. Lol. Show and the character are annoying as shit. Watched three episodes and then dropped it like the plague.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugghh. Does she get humanized, like at all? I mean, she did do, like, 1 nice thing in the entire first two seasons, so.....

I mean, if you want to know I could tell you, but you're basically just asking for plot spoilers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Juuni Taisen - 1 was fun, really nice looking battle anime, characters, setting, everything clicked for me. Good start to the new season.

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War 01

First good show of the season, we're off to a real good start. Very interesting characters, design, animation. It sucked me in and I didn't come out until it was over.

Soma S3 - 01

What a tepid resumption of the series. The awkward retelling of the OVA parts of the audience missed, myself included, surely was a damn weak starting point.

ZWAoSCk.jpg
ubbEP9y.jpg

65c1knc.jpg
yL5RB0F.jpg

TILT ALL THE SHOTS

I hope this episode director doesn't get to direct much more. What was he even thinking with those dutch angles alone? But really, nothing was well done. For instance, I dunno if the show used its soundtrack so poorly before.

And maybe less the fault of the directors, but content-wise we get another heap of characters I have no reason to care about at all really. The existing cast was too large already and now we get ten or so super duper elite eccentric badasses, most of whom will probably join these static folks after a short time. Performing their single joke routine before drifting into irrelevance again.

Well, I already know that Erina might take a more centerpiece role here and the OP shows as much. But that's really all I care about for now. That shouldn't have taken this long to begin with but hey, at least it's an existing character who might get some development? Pretty please?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So is S3 gonna be just 13 eps again? S2 felt rushed as well. Isn't there plenty of material for a full cour?

Aiii

So not worth it
Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara - 1

A three minute show that is about a husband making a cocktail for his wife who is secretely a drunkard... I guess. I dunno, it’s only three minutes, what else could it do?

Pretty amazing how fast I fell off the Soma train. Made the OT for the first season and enjoyed both the show and the manga, by the time S2 rolled around I was disliking the manga and by now I barely given enough of a shit to read it each week.

The Azami arc stuff is fairly bad, and also I may have just found inherent weaknesses in the series that were always there. Or maybe just having a long running series based on cooking cant work because every aspect that makes someone better has to be meticulously explained by sideline characters

It’s also just insanely formulaic sometimes. I’ve lost a lot of love for it too.

Some Nobody

A lot of my hate for some sounds come in later down the line where issues are more apparent.

Idol anime is kind of hard to marathon but they can be fun watches.

I mean at least yuou guys are getting stuff. I'm lamenting magical girl stuff since it's either grimdumb, or trashy af. And Pretty Cure. Not enough shows in the range of friendliness as Precure.

The only magical girls I know are from Nanoha-verse and the ladies of Symphogear. But since Vivid Strike just ended last year and Symphogear AXZ ended last week I'm in pretty good shape.

Not driving a convincing argument there, much less an insightful one. You'll need to break it down better than that to make a strong point.

I mean, it's all opinion-based but sure. I was never impressed by the start of Bleach. It just felt like the first five episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho dragged out into a long arc, with far less likable characters. When they got development, which wasn't common. Barely twenty episodes in and Kubo was already showing his penchant for introducing characters he had no plans to do anything with.

And the Soul Society arc just felt like the Buu Saga for DBZ--Ichigo constantly hiding away and trying to figure out a way to not get the crap kicked out of him with some new training. I get the drama of underdogs, but eventually I get to the point where the underdog feels unbelievable and they just shouldn't win. It's my problem with early Naruto too, but they had more creative solutions. And ultimately Naruto went into some interesting territory IMO.

Black Clover on the other hand gets to all its interesting fight-y bits sooner, and with a cast I feel is more interesting/standout by comparison to Bleach. 100 chapters in and I already feel like I'm midway through the series.

Cornbread78

You never addressed why you're watching the monster that is Umaru-chan. Like...why?

I said best girl is Megumi-chan. How dare you question my loyalty!? I just accepted the fact that the manga and show are pushing for Erina/Soma ship and I just said she wasn't the worst. There are other plenty of other girls in the show that are the worst. Like the meat girl.

Edit: Sorry. Didn't read to the end. Lol. Show and the character are annoying as shit. Watched three episodes and then dropped it like the plague.

OK, all is right in the world.... I need my brother-in-arms, lol.

I had fun with Himura. It was a stupid show, but was pretty fun to watch.

Juuni Taisen - 1 was fun, really nice looking battle anime, characters, setting, everything clicked for me. Good start to the new season.

I agree this was great, totally surprised me at how much I enjoyed it.

Sengoku Night Blood on the other hand.... oooph.

Erheller

I got tired of it after like 4 episodes. But my friend wanted to keep watching it, so I suffered through both seasons. As someone who hates shounen battles, "shounen battles but with food" was entertaining the first few times, but got old quickly.

Ascheroth

I'm basically only reading it for the character interactions now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DTL has the amazing ability to pick an NPC out of a crowd and have it be a favorite

DTL once argued in the manga thread that Takumi and Soma are canonically lovers and that the material (which is identical to the anime) makes it clear they're lovers.

The only good thing I can say about Umaru is that neither she or her brother are into the other.

Angry Grimace

It's really simple: its because Azami is a plot tumor.

Is it weird that this is the silver lining we can take from anime these days?

Anime needs to be saved. Save us Ancient Magus' Bride or Violet Evergarden!!!

I’m not sure what you are looking for. Even if those two shows are successful, their existence won’t stop incest fantasy and harem light novels from being written and adapted into anime.

Fate/Zodiac (Juni Taesen: Zodiac War), Episode 1 - They really couldn't have laid it on thicker that
the boar chick
was going to be the first to die. Between the elaborate backstory and Tokiomi Tohsaka-level smugness over believing that they have the entire game planned and figured out.

Blatantly obvious Death Flag aside, the first episode was fairly interesting. Though it is feeling like Fate without the memes so far.

Fate/Zodiac (Juni Taesen: Zodiac War), Episode 1 - They really couldn't have laid it on thicker that
the boar chick
was going to be the first to die. Between the elaborate backstory and Tokiomi Tohsaka-level smugness over believing that they have the entire game planned and figured out.

Blatantly obvious Death Flag aside, the first episode was fairly interesting. Though it is feeling like Fate without the memes so far.

The title of the episode is also a massive flag.
Even Boars May Become Pigs After Seven Generations
It's one of the few things I didn't like about this first ep.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I’m not sure what you are looking for. Even if those two shows are successful, their existence won’t stop incest fantasy and harem light novels from being written and adapted into anime.
PshycoNinja watched and appreciated Eromanga-sensei, so maybe he'll get everything he wants.

zulux21

So is S3 gonna be just 13 eps again? S2 felt rushed as well. Isn't there plenty of material for a full cour?

we don't know.
and technically you could likely squeeze out 24-26 episodes if you want.

but rushing through the garbage content they will be adapting would be for the best.

the horrible story/characters might be better at a faster face because they are horrid at the pace the manga went at.

Well, I already know that Erina might take a more centerpiece role here and the OP shows as much. But that's really all I care about for now. That shouldn't have taken this long to begin with but hey, at least it's an existing character who might get some development? Pretty please?

I officially don't like you because you seem to be a fan of Bitch Mctits (obviously this is meant to be an insult to the character covering every character aspect she shows through the first two seasons. she is a bitch, and she is liked by some fans because she has large breasts :/).
if I am wrong I will take it back, but anyone here who is a fan of Bitch Mctits is my enemy :p

IT just shows how dire the birth rates are

I don't know if that's the message it's trying to send out. If so, then dear God...

I'm not sure what you are looking for. Even if those two shows are successful, their existence won't stop incest fantasy and harem light novels from being written and adapted into anime.

But if they are a lot more successful than the pandering light novels and adaptations maybe there could be a cultural shift in the community for better stories that aren't incest fan-service shows. And maybe animation houses will start to select better stories to adapt.

PshycoNinja watched and appreciated Eromanga-sensei, so maybe he'll get everything he wants.

Lets not spread fallacies. While I did watch it, I was not happy with the topics that particular writer likes to keep writing about. He writes generally fun shows that are funny and fun watches but he has this particular fetish that I wish he would get rid of in his writing. Would make for far better shows and stories.

phaze

It begins airing October 8 on Japanese TV, but won't air internationally on Netflix until 2018.

Nobunaga no Shinobi ~30-52 END
And so the most historically accurate rendition of Warring States period ended. For now at least. And in a pretty awkward place cause right before the next large clash so I hope they'll get to continue this after a short while especially as it didn't progress as far I as imagined. Pretty sure they didn't even do the sacking of the monastery which was in the 2nd OP. It's more charming than laugh out loud funny but the endearing characters, fun designs and the lightning quick tempo made for a pretty engaging experience overall with not a dour moment. Kugumiya as tsundere wife of a shogun when.

Top Bottom