• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Jintor

i'm kinda tempted tho by those dub voices

please tell me they replaced the music with the good old garbage/awesome punk bullshit

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Juuni Taisen Episode 1:

Not sure what to make of this exactly, other then this seems to be the seasonal execution series. I have a feeling that given the exceeding amount of backstory given to
boar in this episode, she may not be ganked yet.
Not sure if we are going to get anything definitive until like the end of the series. Still, I could see this becoming my Tuesday series.

DiGiKerot

Juuni Taisen Episode 1:

Not sure what to make of this exactly, other then this seems to be the seasonal execution series. I have a feeling that given the exceeding amount of backstory given to
boar in this episode, she may not be ganked yet.
Not sure if we are going to get anything definitive until like the end of the series. Still, I could see this becoming my Tuesday series.

I dunno, this is one of those things where knowing the author means that I start wondering if he's playing n-th dimensional chess or not -
I saw Boar being offed a mile away, pretty much as soon as they started filling in her backstory, because it's a classic genre swerve to kill off someone who appears to have been set-up to be one of the leads in order to establish the fact that anything goes from here on out. Infact, the amount of backstory given to her in one episode just increased the likelyhood of her dying here, because it vastly reduces the narrative value of her going forward given there's little else to reveal.

This is written by Nisio, though, and he's tends to be genre-savvy if nothing else, so I start to wonder if it's been deliberately written this way based on what he thinks it'll make the audience think so that he can subvert it later or not haha

Aki-at

Time to write up on everything I've caught up on now that my jet lag is subsiding;

Aho Girl - END

I wasn't really liking this final episode, felt a bit uncomfortbale from it. The series was full of a lot of fun and laughs through out but your milage may vary. 6/10

Re:Creators - END

I don't agree with what the episode was saying about only one Selesia of endless possibilities died and that she's still out there, no that specific Selesia died. Everything was neatly tied up but I feel the series faltered more often than it succeeded. In the end I'm left with a sense of disappointment. 5/10

Virgin Soul - END

A great conclusion to a series where all the pieces came together right at the very end. The relationship between Nina and Chris was a highlight from last season. Neither being able to communicate with the other fully is bittersweat and Rita is a psycho for turning Kaiser into a lifeless zombie (Didn't seem like he was fully there either...) but I enjoyed this season a lot more than season 1, which is funny considering how I felt about it in the beginning. 8/10

Now just to finish Made in Abyss and Sakura Quest and I'll be done with last season.

klaushm

Black Clover - 01

So, Asta shouting every single second in the manga didn't translate well in the anime.

Black Clover is really a hard sell. It took a lot of time to develop the characters and becoming really interesting, outside of the battles. Now it is really good, but, let's see how much I'm able to tolerate Asta shouting...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 27:

After Black Clover I am disposed to be a bit nicer to this series but this Hidden Mist arc is just boring the shit out of me and I am on the verge of dropping the show for the time being.

Lain

The Dragon Dentist

It was a nice watch even if a bit too much on the sad side. The end didn't feel all that fulfilling though.

Juuni Taisen 01

Damn, that was violent. I love it already.

That fight/infiltration animation in the beginning was great, just need to reduce the weird jittery/blurriness effect.

Had a feeling the lady would get eff'd up after talking smack, was hilarious.

UQ Holder - 1
Pretty faithful adaption of the manga with the exception of the occasional Negia throwbacks which is pretty confusing as I haven't read that? Anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be? Looks like they'll need 20+ or they'll have to do a lot of skipping.

mankoto

Konohana Kitan - 01

Sort of a weird start since it just jumps right into the heart of the matter. Actually, did they even tell us why she wants to work there? Regardless, overall it was pretty okay.

Konohana Kitan - 01

Sort of a weird start since it just jumps right into the heart of the matter. Actually, did they even tell us why she wants to work there? Regardless, overall it was pretty okay.

I'm assuming the Nun just sold her into slavery to work at the Onsen Inn, until proven wrong.

Cornbread78

Konohana Kitan - 01

This is the fall season's yuri show, right? Yuri and furry to be exact...

mankoto

Urahara - 01

I have no idea what I just watched. But this is my jam.

0FnrnFe.jpg

zkDGqDC.jpg

Lv5Fq9G.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love is Like a Cocktail in that I look at a menu where I don't understand what half the ingredients are so I just look for names of fruits.

Line_HTX

I'm not an expert at these drinks anyway. Most of the time I hope they're kind of sweet so it goes down easier, haha

Kickz

Stop watching the show lol. Tri ruined any single love i had for old Digimon anime here.

Lol what, it seems decent so far, one ep in. =T

i'm kinda tempted tho by those dub voices

please tell me they replaced the music with the good old garbage/awesome punk bullshit

Nah the old music is under a different license so they made some new song for this, takes some getting used to.

Blade Runner Black Out 2022

Appreciate that this has its own style and is not just aping the look of Blade Runner aside from the opening shot of the fire plumes of LA and the Replicant registries and some visual references to areas Deckard was at at the beginning of Blade Runner, like that noodle shop with the Chinese dragon he's eating at near the start of the movie and of course the high-rise skyscrapers with large hologram advertisements. Doesnt look like they could get the Coca-Cola logo so it just says "enjoy" on buildings! It does have that smoky neo-noir detective look but as far as I know Blade Runner invented that cyberpunk Americana/Japanese look of East Asian back alley shops in a techno future that got transported into Ghost in the Shell/Matrix, Policenauts, Final Fantasy 7 etc. I guess this is sort of like the Animatrix in that sense. Undeniably well animated and pretty, which is the most you can really expect from a 12 minute tie-in.

The dialogue is pretty lame though. I do appreciate the opening with Villeneuve saying he specifically wanted Watanabe to do a tie-in for him because he respects him, hopefully Villeneuve doesnt pitch some Bebop live action remake and can respect a different medium as a different medium like the Animatrix did

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They call it Budweiser because after drinking one you become wiser to never do that again.

DNAbro

Boruto 27

New opening isn't near as good as the first one. It's hilarious that these kids who should overall be not as good as most ninjas, just pretty easily beat up a ton of them.

Also I just realized that the card game they are playing is seemingly a Ninja version of Uno.

Theonik

Well, cocktails don't grow on trees.
I would bet money that it means Plumspread and not Plum splet.

Edit: No it doesn't

http://www.suntory.co.jp/umeshu/cocktail/cocktail01.html
We'll have one of those in your name in Tokyo!

I live in my mother's basement.

So while I don't know what goes into a cocktail

I do know what's in an OP.
So what's in an… Dammit beaten.
If I open my own anime themed bar I'm having a cocktail called the OP.
Also reproducing my 'Tequila Gundam' cocktail.

daveo42

Banned
Well, cocktails don't grow on trees.

Hops, oats, wheat, rye, and corn don't either. Potatoes you have to dig out of the ground!

So what's in an... Dammit beaten.
If I open my own anime themed bar I'm having a cocktail called the OP.
Also reproducing my 'Tequila Gundam' cocktail.

It should change with the season and the bartender. This time around it's neon pink/blue, mostly sugar, and tastes like garbage.

Some Nobody

I refuse to change my mind on Black Clover the manga, but 4 minutes into the anime and I realized I had to apologize to people here. The actual story of the first episode is still fine IMO, but...wow. Asta's voice actor is enough to make me delete the show. Why the fuck is he yelling for every fucking line??? Like, the character's energetic in the manga but holy shit! He's got that "mid-battle, straining off the last technique" voice all the time??

I'm sticking with this show because I get paid to write about it, but ugh. As bad as I wanted to see some of the cool moments in the show animated, it'll be hard to do it on mute. I may actually even go dub eventually lol.

I refuse to change my mind on Black Clover the manga, but 4 minutes into the anime and I realized I had to apologize to people here. The actual story of the first episode is still fine IMO, but...wow. Asta's voice actor is enough to make me delete the show. Why the fuck is he yelling for every fucking line??? Like, the character's energetic in the manga but holy shit! He's got that "mid-battle, straining off the last technique" voice all the time??

I'm sticking with this show because I get paid to write about it, but ugh. As bad as I wanted to see some of the cool moments in the show animated, it'll be hard to do it on mute. I may actually even go dub eventually lol.

Who is paying you, if I may ask?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I have a screwhole in my heart after Heybot! ended so I was looking around Crunchyroll for a show to screw in that hole...

Stumbled upon Nanbaka.

Never really heard about this, but what the fuck is up with those character designs? I mean they're sort of cool in a way, but also super garish and look like something you'd see in a parody---and then the show's constantly sparkling and everyone's androgynous in a Part 5 kind of way. I kind of like the stylistic approach to the backgrounds though, kind of minimalistic and such.

But I thought the first two episodes were fun, if the jokes were a bit pedestrian. "Haha he's actually a guy!" joke was pretty painful, but I did like how the main character then sat down with him and had a pretty honest chat without mocking that over and over. And the only identified female character in the show so far secretly being in love with the male prison guard is a bit sexist I'd say, but I thought it was a cute gag.

Apparently this ramps up in seriousness later on, but is it worth watching? I enjoyed the general camaraderie between the characters.

Top Bottom