• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

I have a screwhole in my heart after Heybot! ended so I was looking around Crunchyroll for a show to screw in that hole...

Stumbled upon Nanbaka.

Never really heard about this, but what the **** is up with those character designs? I mean they're sort of cool in a way, but also super garish and look like something you'd see in a parody---and then the show's constantly sparkling and everyone's androgynous in a Part 5 kind of way. I kind of like the stylistic approach to the backgrounds though, kind of minimalistic and such.

But I thought the first two episodes were fun, if the jokes were a bit pedestrian. "Haha he's actually a guy!" joke was pretty painful, but I did like how the main character then sat down with him and had a pretty honest chat without mocking that over and over. And the only identified female character in the show so far secretly being in love with the male prison guard is a bit sexist I'd say, but I thought it was a cute gag.

Apparently this ramps up in seriousness later on, but is it worth watching? I enjoyed the general camaraderie between the characters.

Nanbaka is a comedy anime!

Please watch it, its hilarious, I think we're also getting an s3 eventually.

Nanbaka is a comedy anime!

Please watch it, its hilarious, I think we're also getting an s3 eventually.

But it started to get waaay too serious for my liking towards the end of season 1. I kind of dropped it there cause I sort of assumed the series was transitioning from comedy to action and I wasn’t big on that. Does it go back to being a comedy? Cause based on the previews for S2 I got the impression it didn’t.

But it started to get waaay too serious for my liking towards the end of season 1. I kind of dropped it there cause I sort of assumed the series was transitioning from comedy to action and I wasn’t big on that. Does it go back to being a comedy? Cause based on the previews for S2 I got the impression it didn’t.

It goes back to comedy for like 2 episodes in Season 2 before getting completely dead serious again. The season also ends without resolution, so you're honestly not missing much.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Black Clover Episode 1

I see the MC's rival is NotAizen.

That was the worst power reveal I have ever seen.

Daemul

Konohana Kitan - Episode 1

zu2VjXy.jpg

Calling it now. AOTS contender. I loved everything about this first episode.

Urahara - Episode 1

DZUYM9b.png

Someone explain to me just what the fuck was going on in this episode?

mankoto

Urahara - Episode 1

DZUYM9b.png

Someone explain to me just what the fuck was going on in this episode?

Cute girls were doing cute things in their shop.

An alien invasion is happening because the aliens can't come up with their own culture so they're stealing the world's culture.

Said cute girls meet an escapee and talking shrimp-scarf thing that turned them into magical girls to fight against in aliens.

TL;DR
Magic.

Urahara was definitely not my cup of tea. Ooph, struggled to get through that awake. Konohana Kitan was better, at least it started good, kinda lost what substance it had by the end though.

Urahara, Episode 1 - What's with all the fucking split screens? The stylistic direction this decided to take didn't land with me. The fact that the first episode wasn't very interesting itself makes this an easy drop.

Love is Like a Cocktail, Episode 1 - Not sure how I felt about this first episode. Maybe because I feel like the premise can easily nosedive into skeevy territory that I'm going in with a lot of reservations.

Welcome.

and to help sort you we have a simple test.

Do you like Sword Art Online?

If yes you get to hang out with people like corn and myself.
Unless it was strictly because Kirito is a pretty boy, then you get to hang out with DTL.

If no you get to hang out with the rest of anime gaf :p

The real test is this...

Do you like KEY or KyoAni shows?

If you do, Congratulations! You have great taste like Mike, Corn, and myself.

If not, you're like the rest of AnimeGAF. :p

LotusHD

Banned
I refuse to change my mind on Black Clover the manga, but 4 minutes into the anime and I realized I had to apologize to people here. The actual story of the first episode is still fine IMO, but...wow. Asta's voice actor is enough to make me delete the show. Why the fuck is he yelling for every fucking line??? Like, the character's energetic in the manga but holy shit! He's got that "mid-battle, straining off the last technique" voice all the time??

I'm sticking with this show because I get paid to write about it, but ugh. As bad as I wanted to see some of the cool moments in the show animated, it'll be hard to do it on mute. I may actually even go dub eventually lol.

Why would they pay some nobody to write about anime...

---

Nothing I have ever heard about Black Clover makes me want to give it a try.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Urahara Episode 1:

Okay, this is certainly a unique aesthetical value, I will give it that, the problem is that after 22 minutes of looking at such a garish and busy visual design, I kind of want to take a nap now. I suppose the biggest disappointment is in spite of how quirky everything is set up, this show still comes across as fairly rote and kind of lacking an identity out the gate. I may give it a few more episodes, have not decided yet.

Ascheroth

Looks like Tuesday doesn't have anything that interests me.
So I'll be watching Garo.

Garo 19

Huh. That is one relationship I did not see coming.
I live for this:
Why is there barely anything on Sakugabooru <.<

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can only assume UQ Holder! is going to diverge from the source material at some point given that all the scripts are being done by Akamatsu himself. If they were going to just straight adapt I would think they wouldn't actually need him to do it.

Does anyone know if that Tokyo Ghoul live action film is any good? Seems like so many live action anime adaptations are bad that I’m hesitant if I wanna go see it in theatres or not.

Szadek

Black Clover - Ep. 1
I hate the main character already.He is loud and obnoxious.
Kind of like the idea that the MC is the rival to the actual hero of the story, but I don't think I can take this.
Also, the CG chains gave me Hand Shakers flashbacks, which is reason enough for me to drop it already.

Urahara - Ep. 1
Love the art style of this one. Not sure how long that will carry the show for me,but I keep watching for now.

Some Nobody

Why would they pay some nobody to write about anime...

---

Nothing I have ever heard about Black Clover makes me want to give it a try.

? People get paid to write about comics, video games, and wrestling. Why not anime?

lol, this place is starting to become bad for my mental health.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Infini-T Force Episode 1:

Now I want a new Tatasunoko Vs. Capcom game and I am sad that it will not likely happen any time soon.

Aiii

So not worth it
URAHARA - 1
Made it five minutes into this, but I can’t with this art style. Dropped.

Konohana Kitan - 1
Much better, it’s the simple all-girl SoL of this season, enjoyed the characters and the setting.

Some Nobody

You do realize what your username is, right?

That's on me. I read it as "Why would they pay somebody to write about anime?"

A specific joke about me rather than the profession itself is, for some reason...totally fine with me.

Having said that, I'll never see Some Nobody as my username. Just a lame joke some mod played because their real life is pathetic and they need to exert control in some part of their life.

Aki-at

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - 4

One of the rare times Tokyo Tower collapses and Godzilla/Mothra/a giant monster isn't involved.

Mari has been a right brat so far but hopefully this changes now after Yuuki saved her. Episode was a bit rough with some of the faces (Or maybe it's just been like this, I've spaced out watching this that I can't remember the quality of the other 3 episodes!)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konohana Kitan Episode 1:

Well, I found the cute girls doing cute things slice of life show which means I was promptly vvbored out of my skull for the duration of time I watched until shutting the thing off, not even soft yuri vibes are making this enterprise any more compelling.

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 21-22 END

March Lion was something I cautiously started watching but it didn't take more than one episode to know that it's something I would appreciate. It's one of the few shows that I've been consciously aware of how much the visuals add to its charm and maybe even that's an understatement. The lighting, colors and the art style really set the mood in every scene and not once did I feel disconnected from Rei and his constant struggle.

The show puts us in the shoes of this prodigal Shogi player with a tragic past, the consequences of which he is continually dealing with. A lot of which is something we learn over time but that doesn't put us out of the picture of understanding what he feels like right from the beginning. Rei's narration on one end does add some insight but on the other end undermines the visual dynamic it builds for every scenario and topic. That would be my one gripe from this otherwise amazing piece of work.

The visual dynamic sets the mood with a more cold and dark atmosphere for Rei's mental struggle in overcoming the void of loneliness within him when he's not playing Shogi and when he is, the visual metaphor depends a lot on his opponent. I particularly liked his match with Shimada in that regard featuring him struggling with wave after wave illustrated in sharp contrast of white background and emerald textured waves. However, there are moments when he's not subjected to something that extreme, those are moments I really loved in the show, this is where the three sisters he happens to meet come in. While Rei struggles with his own experiences, there's a reminder to find comfort in company time and again. That comfort is through the Kawamoto sisters who have their own set of circumstances that aren't spelled out (thankfully) but one thing that is clear, that they much like Rei, are looking for company, that would help heal their own wounds. This beautiful relationship of them finding comfort in each other was illustrated through warm and bright colors that almost instantly leave you feeling comfortable and reassured that no matter what happens afterwards, at least he has now. This is something that takes place in almost every instance of their appearance and it works great every time.

It's not everytime I find myself compelled to tie in the visual style when talking about the characters or the narrative that's just how intertwined it is in the show. This is definitely a highlight from the recent past and I can see myself recommending this to anyone looking for a vivid representation of depression while also offering a sense of solace and strength from it.

Top Bottom