• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 02

This just isn't clicking with me at all. Seems less like a content issue and more the lackluster direction in these first two episodes. For instance, despite all these wonderful creatures and magic displayed so far, not once did all that actually spark a sense of wonder within me.

The dialogue doesn't strike me as anything bad and lots of the world building is needed, yet I'm thoroughly bored throughout most of it.

While there seems to be quite some effort put into the soundtrack and musical cues, I so far found the use of both subpar.

Lastly, I can say with certainty that the humor feels awfully out of place and tactless towards Chise's somber situation. She's bought and more or less forced to marry some weird Magus dude? Better throw some basic "Baka, hentai!" sort of 'jokes' + funny reaction faces on there!

I mean, it's not terrible by any means but when some pretty backgrounds are all that catch my attention so far I have no reason to continue viewing it either. So, dropped. If that's what WIT banked on... yikes.

P.S: The last part of the episode, in particular, was extremely badly directed.
The pacing and storyboarding of everything on Iceland were just laughable.

mankoto

Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji. - 02
"Kuga let's stop"
"Why?"
"Because you're my student"
"But sensei, you accepted me just a moment ago. Besides I was so happy to hear that my brother paired with you I switched places with him. And if we don't pair up, my dad will be very sad. You don't want to see him sad do you?"
"No"
"So can we keep going?"
"No"

**next day at school**

"So sensei how we continue from last night? If you say no I'll just have to remind you how good it felt"

**episode ends**

Looks like King's Game has a rival this season and it's competitor is only 3 minutes long.

I think so far, Anime-Gatari's can be summed up with:

Jonah-Hill-Sick-Reference-Bro-This-Is-The-End.gif

mankoto

As long as Sebas is here, this Monogatari spin-off will be fine

NVepuh5.gif

The Melancholy of a Happy Vuvuzela - 02
At this point you might as well pony up the cash so you can just name drop them. If anything created by Jun Maeda is considered a classic anime, we have a small problem.

Arex

Gundam Origin ep 2-5

Finally caught up to the latest. Wow Char is such a jerk.
Seems to betray/screwed everyone that has helped him lol, especially the Aznable family
Also the colony gassing and drop is just sad, can't feel much sympathy to the Zeon after that. Of course, there are a lot of layers inside the Zeon and Federation themselves, so things are not exactly good vs bad.

Anyway, great addition to the Gundam series I feel.
It's great to see the events leading to the beginning of the war. I do hope they would remake the original Gundam one day, similar to how they did Yamato 2199.

duckroll

It's great to see the events leading to the beginning of the war. I do hope they would remake the original Gundam one day, similar to how they did Yamato 2199.

They don't have to remake the original Gundam, it was already remade. That's what Gundam the Origin is. They just need to keep adapting it.

duckroll

Well I don't really mind that too haha. Do we know how far Origin's gonna go?

The anime? The next one coming out in May 2018 is the last part of the Flashback. It should cover everything leading up to the day before the original Gundam starts, as long as they adapt the Eve bonus chapter as well.

The manga is long over and covered everything in 12 thick prestige volumes. The anime is adapting the flashback from the middle part of the manga series - from vol5-7.

After this, who knows. The staff clearly want to keep doing it, but once you start on the OYW you can't stop. And it takes a long time to make Origin because of the production values.

Houseki no Kuni 1

Most beautiful series of the season?

Hey this looks good! I feared the cg visual aspect but it seems to work well. Are the closeup of faces retouched in 2d? And the backgrounds also look good. That panorama of the grass, mm. The action was well directed, dynamic and using fully the cg nature, but still easy to follow. There is a decent banter with the girls that shows their personality, and also a decent deal of body animation to express themselves, Phos nature is perfectly captured in special, and the setting is super intriguing.
So all pretty positive.

But... uh... why is rushing so much?
I was thinking, dude, chill out, this is just the first episode. Present the characters, their personalities, the setting, the premise, and who is the enemy. But in addition to all that, they have done a full sprint, including also a full dramatic storyline about Cinnabar and her problems, which imo it should have been the second episode focus.

pbayne

Voltron Season 4

Lol at the retcon of the entirety of season 3. Nothing mattered at all.
It was ok. Some of the comedy was actually pretty funny, including an episode that topped Space Mall imo. Main plot has hit a serious "get on with it" state for me tho.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 77

So in addition to a beastmaster, Aria is also Batman and Poison Ivy. Good to know. Hime does feel just a bit like a villain though with her sweet talking the innocent and naive Aria followed by a casual conversation with Elza-sama. Or maybe not just feels like because she practically handed Elza-sama her newest apprentice gift-wrapped. What sort of keikaku is Hime cooking?

Gundam SEED Destiny 36-38

Okay, I'm not gonna lie. Athrun making a big escape in a GOUF with Lunamaria's sister was pretty badass. Even if this scenario is just a repeat of what happened in SEED.

It's kinda amazing at how much of a puppet Shinn Asuka is now to Durandal. Dude isn't questioning anything and every time he has a speck of independent thought Rey yanks him back in line.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Houseki no Kuni 1
Hey this looks good! I feared the cg visual aspect but it seems to work well. Are the closeup of faces retouched in 2d?
Not just faces. If they do closeups on limbs they will switch to 2D sometimes as well...legs...hands...arms...there is lots of hand drawn 2D work.

Tuck

BBB - Season 2 Episode 2
Solid. The flashback was a bit long, but overall it was good.

I miss the old OP and ED though. The new ED is actually really good; u fortunately, the first season had the best ed in any anime ever, so this oen pails in comparison.

The new OP sucks. Old one was way better. Too engrishy

NeonZ

Gundam SEED Destiny 36-38

Okay, I'm not gonna lie. Athrun making a big escape in a GOUF with Lunamaria's sister was pretty badass. Even if this scenario is just a repeat of what happened in SEED.

It's kinda amazing at how much of a puppet Shinn Asuka is now to Durandal. Dude isn't questioning anything and every time he has a speck of independent thought Rey yanks him back in line.

It doesn't help that Athrun completely messed up as a mentor. He berated Shinn both when he followed Durandal's orders unquestioningly and when he attempted to act on his own (saving those prisoners early in the show, and the Stella stuff afterwards) basically just increasing the distance between them rather than giving any guidance.

Not just faces. If they do closeups on limbs they will switch to 2D sometimes as well...legs...hands...arms...there is lots of hand drawn 2D work.

I was thinking something along this lines, as sometimes I was murmuring "woah, that's a too good of a 3d -> 2d conversion". It makes sense, take the best of both worlds.

I already spammed too many images above, but in a rewatch I noticed a nice one:

The lightning of this area changes to a rainbow-ish pattern once Diamond appears.

Tuck

Girls Last Tour - 2
Not a fan of the black-haired girl's voice actor, but aside from that, this is super charming. Its so well crafted. Theres a great sense of loneliness and beauty in this world.

Interesting that there are different levels to this world. Feels like "BLAME!" in that regard. I wonder how far it all goes. I wonder if they'll meet anyone as they travel.

Arex

The anime? The next one coming out in May 2018 is the last part of the Flashback. It should cover everything leading up to the day before the original Gundam starts, as long as they adapt the Eve bonus chapter as well.

The manga is long over and covered everything in 12 thick prestige volumes. The anime is adapting the flashback from the middle part of the manga series - from vol5-7.

After this, who knows. The staff clearly want to keep doing it, but once you start on the OYW you can't stop. And it takes a long time to make Origin because of the production values.

Bolded part, dayum half a year away. I guess that's what you need for quality.. Anyway, can only keep hoping I guess :d

Sterok

Himouto Umaru-chan R 2

Umaru has a new soulmate. I didn't know the earpick industry was so competitive. Taihei is getting too good at raising Umaru. Sylphyn remains perfect with perfect tastes.

mankoto

Recovery of a MMO Junkie - 02
Oh wow, so they pretty much have them meet right away. Granted they don't know who they actually are yet, but, if she could form a relationship with him outside of the game, that'll make the "big reveal" all the sweeter.

Kansoku

Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo

Nanami got robbed. Ryuunosuke x Rita OTP.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I have conflicting feelings about this. All the serious parts were awful. Senseless melodrama, things got escalated to such highs that it seemed that everything was a all or nothing, life and death situation. Only Ryuunosuke and Chihiro were sensible. I can't say I cared for Jin x Misaki for a single second. Their whole relationship served only to create more drama, there's no other reason for them to be the way they were and it didn't make sense at all. By themselves, Jin was an okay character, sometimes being a reasonable person, and Misaki I hated with a burning passion, but then again I've always hated these hyper genki characters so it goes without saying. I can understand Nanami's situation, after all she put a ton of pressure on herself, so it made sense for her to break down like that. Unfortunately (or not, considering the rest) the "payoff" came way too late, and it was sidesteped for a more pressing issue. My only issue with her tho, was how she dealt with her love for Sorata. Speaking of devil; Jesus Christ, Sorata is awful. Dude is some self centered brat. He barely started, I bet he didn't even read the books Ryuunosuke lent him, and feels he is entitled a win. He don't even deserves to compere himself with Nanami. She actually went for voice acting school for 2 years, while he only sat down, played some games here and there and now think they know everything about games (he would fit in here right away tho =P). I hated how his response to every situation was raising his voice and getting angry at how people are living their lives. And then Shiina. She was also OK. She's pretty cute, and I love her being deadpan at everything, but I don't believe for a second that she actually fell in love with Sorata or anything like that. Especially since IMO Sorata was actually dangerous to her with the way he put her on a pedestal. It's the thing she needed the least. The rest of the cast was pretty good tho. As for the other problems, the Rita drama at the beginning was quite bad, and something I've seen a lot of animes doing, tho whole "jealous of people better then themselves", and the arguments are always the same. Thankfully it got resolved quickly and lead to the OTP Ryuunosuke x Rita, so I can't say I dislike it. But the "Sakura-sou is going to be torn down" problem was a mess. Absolutely illogical, was done only to up the stakes, the resolution was bad, the speech was bad (except the part when she mentions OTP of course), and the message was inconsistent.

Despite all of that I quite enjoyed watching this. I thought it was really funny, I enjoyed some of the characters, the visuals and soundtrack were nice. The first half was better because it was more focused on comedy and didn't have much of the melodrama. Second half had it's up moments but was mostly down. It's quite easy to talk about the bad things, but reminiscing about the show while thinking of what to write here has reminded me of the various good moments. While I wish they toned down the drama and focused more on the comedy, toned down the echii-ness at the beginning and make Misaka disappear, even in it's current form I had fun. Would I recommend it? Probably not. But still, if you want to watch this, know there's a lot of enjoyment to be had here, even if there's a bunch of frustration as well,

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo

Nanami got robbed. Ryuunosuke x Rita OTP.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I have conflicting feelings about this. All the serious parts were awful. Senseless melodrama, things got escalated to such highs that it seemed that everything was a all or nothing, life and death situation.
Oh god I forgot how dumb the show became. It had a great 6 episode first arc and then it just spiraled, making it clear that the author had no idea how to drag out the story over several books. I think the books weren't even over by the time the anime ended, so they didn't really do anything conclusive either?

Kantai Collection 03–05
Shows like this should probably just settle for being complete comedies; it's what video game adaptations are best suited for. The problem with trying to repackage everything into a smaller box is that the organization might have to be heavily compromised. And in the case of video game adaptations, the interactive content is lost in translation, stripping the parts of much of their weight. All that's left in the end is a bloated, cumbersome shell of disorganized, incompatible scraps. However, on the surface, this episode was the most amusing thus far. This definitely felt like a more natural fit for the cast and the director in regard to the mood they've captured the most of so far. Anyway, the transparent silliness of the episode—and of the work at large—isn't lost on me. Akatsuki's obsession with ladylike behavior is just a joke of broken charisma after all.
You either have to lean in on the personalities of the two hundred or so characters, or you just have to actually tell a story. It's why I think the movie worked for me, since it was basically just a Vietnam War movie mashed up with Star Wars (and will probably still be more original and engaging than the new Star Wars movie that's coming out in a couple of months).

Girls Last Tour - 2
Not a fan of the black-haired girl's voice actor, but aside from that, this is super charming. Its so well crafted. Theres a great sense of loneliness and beauty in this world.

Interesting that there are different levels to this world. Feels like "BLAME!" in that regard. I wonder how far it all goes. I wonder if they'll meet anyone as they travel.
I wonder how the sky works if there's layers like that, since I don't think there was any sign of a higher layer in the first episode.

She is a chuuni not someone with bad music taste.
Poor Ranko~

daveo42

Banned
Dragon Ball Super 111
So why didn't Saiyan Team 6 just push Jiren off? Dude is strong, but I'm sure a powerful enough blast could have pushed a man stuck in time the five feet needed to knock him out.
I know the answer is Goku v Jiren 2, but U6 deserves to lose after failing at simple teamwork

Dragon Ball Super 111
So why didn't Saiyan Team 6 just push Jiren off? Dude is strong, but I'm sure a powerful enough blast could have pushed a man stuck in time the five feet needed to knock him out.
I know the answer is Goku v Jiren 2, but U6 deserves to lose after failing at simple teamwork

dude did you see his barrier?

Dragon Ball Super 111

Jiren could still beat them while meditating, they couldnt even pierce his barrier

Top Bottom