• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

I mean, Rei clearly, but that's not the point.

Is the music for the later seasons up any where? Still get pleasantly surprised when "Firebending Training" pops up in Shuffle.

I mean, Rei clearly, but that's not the point.

Is the music for the later seasons up any where? Still get pleasantly surprised when "Firebending Training" pops up in Shuffle.
Thank you, she's actually sane. I don't know how people think they could put up with Asuka on a long term basis.

The waiting game continues, then.

o1aTLDqb.jpg

I know that I've talked about doing this before, but now that I have a bit of experience in editing and film I want to tackle this again.

I want to edit the Avatar series into a film series. I want to create a focused film that is instilled with the spirit that made the original show so darn amazing. So this leaves me with two options:

1. A trilogy with the runtime of each film being a little long, around 3 hours at the minimum.

2. Six 2 hour films, with each season being split up into two films. I understand that this will make the series a little long but it allows me freedom to get the right stuff put into the edit. I already know where I would cut off each film.

If I was writing a script for each film, this would be much easier. Unfortunately, all I have to go off off is the footage that originally aired on TV. That makes the editing process and who to cut or move around much more difficult.

So! My question is this: what do you think should stay in the film? What do you think about a longer running trilogy versus 6 two hour films? Let me know below what you think.

And yes, if I like working on this and/or people enjoy my edits I will continue into the Korra series as well.

Trey

I know that I've talked about doing this before, but now that I have a bit of experience in editing and film I want to tackle this again.

I want to edit the Avatar series into a film series. I want to create a focused film that is instilled with the spirit that made the original show so darn amazing. So this leaves me with two options:

1. A trilogy with the runtime of each film being a little long, around 3 hours at the minimum.

2. Six 2 hour films, with each season being split up into two films. I understand that this will make the series a little long but it allows me freedom to get the right stuff put into the edit. I already know where I would cut off each film.

If I was writing a script for each film, this would be much easier. Unfortunately, all I have to go off off is the footage that originally aired on TV. That makes the editing process and who to cut or move around much more difficult.

So! My question is this: what do you think should stay in the film? What do you think about a longer running trilogy versus 6 two hour films? Let me know below what you think.

And yes, if I like working on this and/or people enjoy my edits I will continue into the Korra series as well.

so you're basically condensing each season into a third of its size? I think Legend of Korra in particular had enough pacing issues as it was. to start with, you can truncate the probending stuff from season one without missing too much. just cut the Korra and Mako romance entirely. that would be a great start.

so you're basically condensing each season into a third of its size? I think Legend of Korra in particular had enough pacing issues as it was. to start with, you can truncate the probending stuff from season one without missing too much. just cut the Korra and Mako romance entirely. that would be a great start.

That's a good idea once I finish the Avatar series.

And yeah, I would be reducing twenty 22-minutes episodes into a possible 3 or 4 hour timeframe. It will be difficult but other fans have started work on their own "movie adaptions" but I'm not sure they ever finished.

My main goal with this project is mainly for editing practice as I am a film production major, but also for my own satisfaction as an Avatar fan.

Watched the first two episodes again last week on Nick. I love Korra so much. It really gets undeserved hate and I'm glad I have you all to appreciate it and talk about it.

HALP. This is my current list.

Episodes to keep
Boy in the Iceberg
  • The Avatar Returns
  • The Southern Air Temple
  • The Spirit World
  • The Storm
  • The Blue Spirit
  • The Waterbending Master (some of it)
  • The Siege of the North Part 1
  • The Siege of the North Part 2
Episodes to cut
  • The King of Omashu
  • Imprisoned
  • The Waterbending Scroll
  • The Great Divide
  • The Fortuneteller
  • Bato of the Water Tribe
  • The Deserter
Not sure
  • The Kyoshi Warriors
  • Jet
  • The Northern Air Temple
Avatar: The Crossroads of Destiny

Episodes to keep
  • The Avatar State
  • The Blind Bandit
  • Zuko Alone
  • The Chase
  • Bitter Work
  • The Library
  • The Desert
  • The Serpent's Pass
  • The Drill
  • City of Walls and Secrets
  • Lake Laogi
  • The Earth King
  • The Guru
  • The Crossroads of Destiny
Episodes to cut
  • Return to Omashu
  • The Tales of Ba Sing Se
Not sure
  • Appa’s Lost Days (some of it)
  • The Cave of Two Lovers
  • The Swamp

Episodes to keep
  • The Awakening
  • Sokka’s Master
  • The Puppetmaster
  • Nightmares and Daydreams (some of it)
  • The Day of Black Sun Part 1
  • The Day of Black Sun Part 2
  • The Western Air Temple
  • The Firebending Masters
  • The Boiling Rock Part 1
  • The Boiling Rock Part 2
  • Sozin’s Comet Part 1
  • Sozin’s Comet Part 2
  • Sozin’s Comet Part 3
  • Sozin’s Comet Part 4
Episodes to cut
  • The Headband
  • The Painted Lady
  • The Runaway
Not sure
  • The Beach
  • The Avatar and the Firelord
  • The Southern Raiders

Trey

you have to keep at least some parts of the King of Omashu. Can't cut Bumi. (More like I won't allow you to cut Bumi).

Watched the first two episodes again last week on Nick. I love Korra so much. It really gets undeserved hate and I'm glad I have you all to appreciate it and talk about it.

par for the course with internet discussion: something is either amazing, or outright trash. Korra as a show does have real problems, and I think we discuss them fairly in here. But it also offers a lot to the universe it inhabits, as well as having a bunch of dope animation.

Veelk

Banned
I haven't played a ratchet and clank game in I don't even know how long. I liked the games, but they became really samey, before just flat out doing something else, and now there is a reboot retelling the same story? And I don't even know why they made a movie. With its format, the games seemed like they could do whatever a movie could.

Idk, I'll see when I have the time. I'm currently reading the wheel of time series, and it's Uh... It's..... Something.

Toa TAK

Banned
What do you think about the new CoD, Toa

Eh. I've kinda given up on that particular studio for awhile now since their last title (Ghosts), but I love COD so I'm still going to be there day 1 and give it a chance. I don't particularly care to be the commander leading peeps in the single player mode. COD used to be about the average grunt in the middle of it and now every title about super special ops and I just don't care considering they're boring personalities and have stories worse than the typical action thriller.

Hopefully the multiplayer will be cool. There's going to be a beta so that'll be the opprotunity to sell me on that. I was initially skeptical of BOIII's multiplayer, but the beta made me do a huge turnaround.

Was pretty indifferent towards the Extinction mode from these guys, too, but I kind of wish they were allowed to do something other than zombies. But again, I want to see how they do it. Exo-Zombies wasn't bad, but it didn't hook me like Treyarch's stuff with it being pretty interesting in a WWII setting and it's uh, charming characters (you know you've hit gold when the fan's favorite character is a Nazi and everyone else is a nationalistic stereotype).

But we'll see. I'm not expecting much from it at all, but I am very happy to see a COD4 remaster. Now I'm pretty happy with remasters as I've gotten my Halo and COD4 redone. :p

Did you ever see the R&C movie, Icy?

Toa TAK

Banned
I've always been a halo guy myself, but that series ended with 3 as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a Halo guy first and foremost, myself. But for whatever reason COD keeps calling me to duty every year. Though I'm always buying for the campaign which is why BOIII and Ghosts are on my shitlist when it comes to that.

On Halo, yeah, I can easily see why people chose to stop at 3. I feel the same way. I love Halo and my Xbox is really just a "Halo-box" (now that every title is on it) but Halo 3's campaign ended just right and the multiplayer was at it's highest in terms of population and just getting together with your bros.

But now we have some strange fanfiction going on with 4 on like:
GxZBAdC.gif

I ain't about that life.

Plus, Chief was only in 5 for 3 levels wtf why

I was done with Halo after 3, played half of Reach and didn't even touch the onlne. Fuck it I'm out
Simple? Are... are you aware of what you just wrote? Try saying it out loud
I know what I wrote, I even went back in to add in the Master part the second after I posted it.

Veelk

Banned
I have the souls series as my current gaming obsession anyway. Though Dark Souls 3 was kind of a disappointment for me, for various reasons.

Veelk

Banned
Did you at least beat it? If you don't want it anymore can you mail it to my broke ass for free providing it's the PS4 version?

I'm keeping it for now. Once I get a job, I'm gonna get a new PC and get the PC version for it. Ideally, that'd be around the time the first DLC comes out for it. I'd be happy to send it your way at that point.

I don't actively dislike it or think it's a bad game. It has a lot of merits. There are just a few problems.

1. I thought having a giant sword would be awesome, and it really wasn't. It doesn't do that much more damage than a regular sword and it's slowness is a MAJOR drawback against the speedy enemies, especially in the later game stage. I felt I had to be overleveled just to do the kind of damage that the weapon should be doing. It made a lot of areas really frustrating for me.

2. It has some real lows in terms of enemy and environment design. Bloodborne was CRAZY with both. For me, there are a handful of both that I'm not crazy about in Dark Souls 3. It occasionally reaches the highs of Bloodborne, but without the frequency.

3. Storywise, the entire first playthrough was fucked for me. I had no idea what mosto f hte references were, and the NPC sidequests all failed because the game is super unclear about what will make them abort their quest with you. From now on, I refuse to play Bloodsouls games blind in regards to the story stuff

I'm probably going to be jumping into Dark Souls soon though. I've been told that I should do my Gandalf build in Demons Souls, so I have no idea what to do with DS.

Eh. I've kinda given up on that particular studio for awhile now since their last title (Ghosts), but I love COD so I'm still going to be there day 1 and give it a chance. I don't particularly care to be the commander leading peeps in the single player mode. COD used to be about the average grunt in the middle of it and now every title about super special ops and I just don't care considering they're boring personalities and have stories worse than the typical action thriller.

Hopefully the multiplayer will be cool. There's going to be a beta so that'll be the opprotunity to sell me on that. I was initially skeptical of BOIII's multiplayer, but the beta made me do a huge turnaround.

Was pretty indifferent towards the Extinction mode from these guys, too, but I kind of wish they were allowed to do something other than zombies. But again, I want to see how they do it. Exo-Zombies wasn't bad, but it didn't hook me like Treyarch's stuff with it being pretty interesting in a WWII setting and it's uh, charming characters (you know you've hit gold when the fan's favorite character is a Nazi and everyone else is a nationalistic stereotype).

But we'll see. I'm not expecting much from it at all, but I am very happy to see a COD4 remaster. Now I'm pretty happy with remasters as I've gotten my Halo and COD4 redone. :p

Did you ever see the R&C movie, Icy?

Yeah the CoD 4 remaster is the main thing I'm interested in. I used to play that game so much with my friends back in the day. If a lot of my friends end up buying it - which they will - then It'll probably be the first CoD game I ever buy. I've played up to BOII, but that's because my brother would always buy them, and even then I didn't play it much. The main ones I did play were BO and MW.

I actually think the space stuff looks interesting for this new one too.

And yea I saw the movie. As a big fan of the IP and characters, I got enjoyment out of it, but I still consider it a bit childhood ruining. Seems like something that primarily only fans and little kids could enjoy. It has a 19% on rotten tomatoes. I personally would have expected more around a 30-40. It was bad but not quite what'd I'd expect to be 19% bad.

Veelk

Banned
The main thing I remember from CoD4 is the part after the sniper shot being a complete bitch to get through. CoD campaigns are too simplistic for me to really enjoy, in terms of FPS mechanics. Enemy AI is simplistic and the gunplay itself is fun in MP, but not so much in campaign.

I did remember MW2's story being utterly batshit insane in it's stupidity tho.

I actually think Ghosts had a really batshit campaign. All I remember is that motherfucker just wouldn't fucking die. Oh god it's flooding in, it's been years, but yeah MW2 campaign is nuts in the dumbest way imaginable. Last one I played was Advanced Warefare with the crazy dude from Seven starring in it.

Toa TAK

Banned
Glad you got something out of the movie at least, Icy. It must be hard to see your favorite video game IP turn out like that.

I might go through the same thing when AC comes out. ;_;

I'll give MW2 this: While it was the beginning of turning COD into what it initially stood against, I loved the campaign's zaniness. Being able to take the fight into America (which really hit home for me, considering I was still living VA, and being in Eastern VA, Prince George's county wasn't too far away from where I was, and DC was only 40 minutes from me), so that was a huge highlight for the game for me. Plus, it was good to do all that through a Latino character, being one myself.

Then the score was great, and I thought it was really, really, interesting that we were fighting American forces in the endgame. Great stuff.

MW2 isn't my favorite campaign (I did a whole rant in the recent thread about COD campaigns) but I found it enjoyable, even if looking back, it was the beginning of the end.

Don't get me started on Ghosts...

Top Bottom