• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Veelk

Banned
Then shouldn't you have Kuvira seek out the destruction spirit after she's cast out? She strikes a deal with it to remake the world in her own image cause she's tired of living in a world where there's nothing for her to connect to. Everything in her world is pretty much a lie so she's going to shape it as she sees fit. Cause why not? To her the world that she builds has to be better than a world full of lies where she was isolated by Suyin. As I said. Suyin is more believable as a main villain. She always seemed like she was hiding a lot of unsavory shit.

That's basically the premise of her character motivation in Book 3. With the knowledge that she's the heir of the Earth Kingdom, she'll first want to claim her seat, and maybe implement the kind of policies she idealized in Suyin. Be what Suyin always pretended to be.

But I'll get to that in my write up. I might retroactively change stuff around to make it make more sense.

That's basically the premise of her character motivation in Book 3. With the knowledge that she's the heir of the Earth Kingdom, she'll first want to claim her seat, and maybe implement the kind of policies she idealized in Suyin. Be what Suyin always pretended to be.

But I'll get to that in my write up. I might retroactively change stuff around to make it make more sense.
I can imagine Su hating her for this.

It's been awhile since I seen a Veelk. In true form, the criticism of transforming the passive nature of Spirits from TLA into active actors was already stated. But I'm gonna give some thoughts/feedback on that already.

In TLA spirits only became really active in response to changes/disturbances to the environment, i.e. that forest destruction episode. Also based on the wiki, the Air Nomad genocide induced dark/active spirits. You can maybe use the fact that the prolonged absence of the Nomads induced more active spirits as background.

Having a Spirit that thrives on "destruction and rebirth" (just gonna call it the Phoenix Spirit) like societal upheavals concerning non-bender rights and stagnation of the Earth Kingdom is possibly the only way to have a Spirit to be pro-active as an antagonist to Korra. Though, Koh also mess with one of the Avatars by crossing over to the physical world if I remember correctly. So it is not unprecedented in retrospect.

I like the idea of a through line antagonist like the Phoenix Spirit guide/enhance the motivations of populist villains of LoK. Projecting the idea the Avatar only helps the ruling class, while the Phoenix Spirit through its own avatars (kek) helps the common folk with their grievances.

Edit: Probably already have this in mind since it's only the outline. Except maybe the class warfare thing, heh...

Veelk

Banned
That's a huge improvement over the real book 2. Holy moly.

I ended up getting Doom before Overwatch after all, because of the sale.

Not a bad choice at all. Doom is great.

Matthew, The pheonix spirit is probably a good visual component to give it. My vision of it, because it wasn't isolated to particular area, was one of kind of this sentient construct that spanned across the entire earth kingdom. Because of the red lotus association, the closest I saw it was like a foggy garden sort of thing, just because it had to be huge enough to permeating an entire land, because the movement demanding change is just that big and spread across many nations. Which is one of the big differences between this and past spirits. Past spirits were mostly just one area. The panda was that particular forest, the painted lady was that particular water village, while this spirit would span the avatar continents. But the phoenix connation is also good. It might be the form that the spirit chooses to take to enter the world in a smaller space. The only thing I worry about is that the pheonix is almost inseperable from the fire assocation, which can give a confusing tie to the fire nation when it's closer to the earth kingdom than anything (since that's where the greatest source of turbulance is).

And shit, I never even thought of the spiritual impact that the Air Nomad genocide would have. That's a good thing to address, though I doubt the comics did it justice because their the comics.

The class warfare thing is something I have in mind, but hadn't put down in as much detail since that summary was already getting way too long, similar to the Mako/Bolin/Asami plotlines in book 2 mostly got summarized as "And they also did things". I might add a bit later on to elaborate on what they were up to while Korra was chilling.

Toa TAK

Banned
Kuvira's actions in LoK say I won before this started.
Nope.

Also:
2cd.jpg

I argue that the phoenix as a symbol for the Spirit can still be of use in the Earth Kingdom/Republic City(technically Earth Kingdom land). Since almost everything is connected to the Hundred Year War, the birth of RC and the frustration with the regime residing in the Earth Kingdom.

Veelk

Banned
Eh, it's connected by a series of proxies. We're still being affected by the stuff World War 1 did, up to it being part of the set up that lead to the 9/11 attacks. I envisioned something like that. You can't just end a war that's lasted for literally an entire generation and think that there wouldn't be residual consequences of that war. The spirit of the Hundred Year War is old, weak, and on it's last legs by the time Korra finds it, but it continues to exist in the new spirit it births. That's the Pheonix spirit you refer to. It's the child of the war, not the war itself.

Honestly, not toot my own horn here, but it's even more thematically appropriate since Korra can't be Aang, only his successor. Aang's real enemy wasn't Ozai, but the war as a whole. The Fire Nation and Ozai was merely the focal driving point of it. This way, Korra is fighting the spiritual successor of that war, as she is the successor of Aang. Neat little parallel that I didn't even notice until now.

But as far as it being a pheonix goes, it's not a big deal. Honestly, the Fire Nation already has a spirit animal in Dragons and I wouldn't even be the first to think of something like an Earth Pheonix, so it's not unworkable. (that artists rendition is nice, but it's not what I see when I imagine an "earth pheonix")

Trey

Honestly, not toot my own horn here, but it's even more thematically appropriate since Korra can't be Aang, only his successor. Aang's real enemy wasn't Ozai, but the war as a whole. The Fire Nation and Ozai was merely the focal driving point of it. This way, Korra is fighting the spiritual successor of that war, as she is the successor of Aang. Neat little parallel that I didn't even notice until now.

Korra got levels, man. Legend of Korra didn't deliver on a lot of its promises, but I always felt her struggle to take on the mantle of Avatar felt genuine. And I think not deifying Aang and forcing Korra to explicitly measure up was the best direction the writers could have taken the show, even though much of the fanbase rationalizes it that way any way. Aang wasn't perfect, and the state of the world even based on his decisions reflect that. Korra isn't either, and her coming to grips with that fact was fun narratively, even if it wasn't executed flawlessly.

Veelk

Banned
I try not to deify Aang as a writer, but the society in which he lives would deify him the same way ours deifies figures of import. Martin Luthor King, Jr. was actually a serial adulterer, for example, but you try to say anything bad about the King whatsoever, you'll get looks of disbelief because we've been trained to look on him pretty much as though he were holy. Perhaps he was, but he was also human and that came with human failings.

Regardless of what kind of person Aang actually was, he is known as the Avatar that ended the Hundred Years War, had heavy influence over the unification of the 3 remaining nations after years of segregation, build and helped govern a city that is the first of it's kind, and performed numerous other services in his lifetime. There is no evidence of any other avatar being close to this influential in the betterment of the world. I don't even know of any real life historical figure that came close to similar achievements, so I don't even have anything to compare it to. Aang would be basically Jesus among men (And since he is the avatar, that's not even an exaggeration. He IS their spiritual savior taken in the form of a man). But as a person, he'd have human failings as he did in the show.

Which is not to say I'm going to make Aang cheat on Katara or even neglect his kids like in LoK...but keep in mind that by the time of LoK, he's dead. He kind of has to be. So getting to know the 'real' Aang would be something of a challenge. Only his close friends would actually 'know' him, and Korra herself would be imagining her past self as someone great. But what Aang's failings actually be are more subtle sort of things: He would try not to let his achievements get to his ego, but when the entire world thinks your amazing, it's hard not to, and he'd probably need his friends to keep him grounded, but he'd be less likely to listen to anyone who he doesn't personally know/respect, even if they have good advice. This lead to more than once a fuck up on his part. He'd also be somewhat disappointed in Tenzin's way of adapting the Air Nomad ways, which he viewed in a much more lively fashion than Tenzin's more dry, intellectual approach, though he wouldn't say so. You could say that his Air Nomad legacy was a bit of an obsession for him, because he was so anxious to 'get it right' even though it's not possible to replicate an entire culture as he wanted. While he always trusted Zuko, it should also be said that the running of Fire Nation is bigger than any one person, even the fire lord, and he was slightly paranoid of any Fire Nation Politician who even slightly suggested that their imperialism was not a wholly bad approach. And we all know how enraged he gets when someone close to him is hurt. It's hard for me not to believe that there wasn't another situation where Appa or Momo got hurt or died, or maybe even Katara and his kids were political targets. He tends to react...badly in those situations. For himself and others.

Stuff like that. Not explicit "Here is a shitty thing he did without rhythm or reason", but genuine things that instill biases, bad conclusions, poor judgement, etc. Aang was a decent person, but he was a person, and that always comes with faults.

Sifu Kisu (the amazing man behind the bending of ATLA) has a Facebook page for his martial arts academy. Well, today he posted a few cool Avatar-related things.

First, he showed off his Bryke-signed copy of the Avatar artbook:

More importantly, he showed of his Bending Bible that he still has when they were developing the world together. Now, I never knew this bible existed. We did however know that the IP Bible existed and can be found on the internet, albeit only with 9 pages. It's cool something so rare is still around and can be looked at.

Well, Sifu Kisu told me on FB today that he is going to contact Mike & Bryan about perhaps getting the IP and Bending Bible published. I'm not going to hold my breath but I hope that he could at least post scans of both bibles so we as a fanbase get to see the absolute earliest of such an amazing world and series.

9mOanqp.png

I would kill to be able to get my hands on either bible or even own one.

EDIT: If you want to see what we have of the IP Bible, here's my copy of the files on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pJIANcANKrOWpwMlI4UmlkNzQ/view?usp=sharing

-Deimos

I never knew something like that existed, but I need it. I hope it gets published, but knowing Nick, I won't get my hopes up.

In other news, the lttp thread got me in the mood for another rewatch of ATLA. It's obviously been too long, cause I forgot how late Toph got introduced to the show. I feel robbed.

All of the posters in the Korra Poster Collection have been revealed

tumblr_odmfjosehs1shyazao1_540.jpg

Selection looks much better than the ATLA one. A bunch of these were Comic-Con exclusives. The original Spirit Parade and Korrasami prints are quite rare and expensive, so it's nice to seem them in here.

So besides the comics, is this franchise dead? I watched TLA for the first time earlier this week and it was absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. Can't believe I waited so long to watch it

Short-term? Yes. Long-term? Maybe. The showrunners have both expressed a desire to take a break from the Avatar universe and have moved on to other projects. They're open to revisiting it at some point in the future though.

Hamlet

So besides the comics, is this franchise dead? I watched TLA for the first time earlier this week and it was absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing. Can't believe I waited so long to watch it

Posted my thoughts over in this thread:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278309

Yeah seems to be pretty much dead on TV at least and from the way Nick was treating Korra towards the end I doubt we'll be getting anything new anytime soon sadly. Both Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino are taking a break from TV to work on their own separate new projects.
While it's not quite Avatar a whole heap of the Avatar/Korra crew are working on the new Netflix Voltron: Legendary Defender. Also shares the same animation studio from Legend of Korra too. It's pretty solid so far.

Selection looks much better than the ATLA one. A bunch of these were Comic-Con exclusives. The original Spirit Parade and Korrasami prints are quite rare and expensive, so it's nice to seem them in here.
Nice, absolutely love the Spirit Parade poster. Best thing from Book 2 heh.

Toa TAK

Banned

Why no book 4 poster?

Veelk

Banned
A lot of those seem based on actual scenes from the book, and they don't have too many good scenes of her unfortunately. Maybe her first fight with Korra, but I can't think of too many others.

Veelk

Banned
guys, steven universe is pretty good.

Well, not in the beginning it's not. First 20 or so episodes are....really kinda bad. Barely watchable in some cases.

But eventually the show finds it's feet and is some pretty awesome shit. Go watch it. I command thee.

guys, steven universe is pretty good.

Well, not in the beginning it's not. First 20 or so episodes are....really kinda bad. Barely watchable in some cases.

But eventually the show finds it's feet and is some pretty awesome shit. Go watch it. I command thee.

is it streaming anywhere?

I swear the girl from Horizon Zero Dawn sounds like Korra.

I feel like I'm going to enjoy that game more just because I'm going to imagine that she's basically Korra.

I don't have high hopes for the story at all though. I don't know what it is, but the way they keep talking about it so much is making me think it's going to fall hilariously flat. Well at least the main story and the mystery they keep hyping.

Top Bottom