• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

This is from the EW cover:
EW1321-1322-Ultron_612x380.jpg

avengers-age-of-ultron-trailer-600x275.jpg

That said, the Ultron with teeth doesn't look that bad in action. Joss must want him to emote more with his face.

Sorry but that looks awful to be honest... he's supposed to be cold and a machine. Why would he need to emote like a human? He's not a human. He looks like a sad Ultron because it seems they took his eyes and rotated them down.

The EW cover, he looks like the form we've seen from the trailers except maybe his eyes glow when he's not talking.

In my ideal AoU, we see Ultron's final form as being more akin to the comics and what we see in those pictures above, and that's kind of symbolic of him relinquishing his last ties to humanity, whereas beforehand he's still modelling his being physically and mentally after humanity.

Do we have any moments where the teeth/first trailer design is referred to as the final form? I feel like media has either assumed that or it's been put out there explicitly. I don't put it past Marvel at all to lead us all on and it not being the case, though.

I don't get this rationale either. That's to assume that he, at one point modeled his being after human kind because... why?

Even the bots have the normal human angled eyes:

They could've gone with the bad ass Ultron design, this one just screams mundane and a mishmash of Michael Bay meets Terminator.

Strongly suspect that the Ultron teeth/eyes business is tied into how he sees himself relating to humanity. Remember that a major ongoing theme with Ultron is that he thinks of himself as a perfectly rational machine when he's actually incredibly emotionally fucked up.

In keeping with the Pinocchio theme, I suspect that in addition to wanting to get himself a vibranium body he's also really, really going to want to be a real boy.

Pachimari

I just want to see more of Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver and Vision. And maybe not focus too much on action set pieces but instead give us plot hints. But it's a summer blockbuster with lots of action, so the trailer will probably highlight that.

I'm sure there's a plot point about Ultron becoming more and more 'human-like', and it'll be pointed out.

What I would like is for his first few forms to be increasingly human-like until Tony or someone points out that it doesn't make any sense for him to build himself in humanity's image, and his next and "final" form would be the very NOT human-like form we're used to. Feige and Spader keep saying Ultron is like a child, and that to me seems like a very childlike or naïve thing for him to do.

Slayven

What I would like is for his first few forms to be increasingly human-like until Tony or someone points out that it doesn't make any sense for him to build himself in humanity's image, and his next and "final" form would be the very NOT human-like form we're used to. Feige and Spader keep saying Ultron is like a child, and that to me seems like a very childlike or naïve thing for him to do.
One of the long term things about Ultron, he hates humanity, but he keeps doing human shit,

Wanting a mate, creating children, etc.

J10

Banned
Sorry but that looks awful to be honest... he's supposed to be cold and a machine. Why would he need to emote like a human? He's not a human. He looks like a sad Ultron because it seems they took his eyes and rotated them down.

The EW cover, he looks like the form we've seen from the trailers except maybe his eyes glow when he's not talking.

I don't get this rationale either. That's to assume that he, at one point modeled his being after human kind because... why?

Even the bots have the normal human angled eyes:

They could've gone with the bad ass Ultron design, this one just screams mundane and a mishmash of Michael Bay meets Terminator.

The whole Pinocchio thing in the trailer went over your head I think.

guek

Banned
Some thing I'm going to really miss about Ultron with the excising of his Hank Pym origins are the ramifications of Ultron being based on Pym's own brain waves. That alone caused Hank exceptional amounts of mental anguish and gave some insights into the mind of Ultron's creator. Unfortunately, I don't think Tony is going to take Pym's place as the mental template.

Some thing I'm going to really miss about Ultron with the excising of his Hank Pym origins are the ramifications of Ultron being based on Pym's own brain waves. That alone caused Hank exceptional amounts of mental anguish and gave some insights into the mind of Ultron's creator. Unfortunately, I don't think Tony is going to take Pym's place as the mental template.

I doubt they'll do this, but I thought that Banner would be a great alternate mental template for Ultron. Because then they could start opening up the door to some cool Hulk stories about how Hulk exists mainly because Banner has always been crazy.

In the MCU, that could eventually translate into the realization that Banner's reproduction of the Captain America super soldier serum was perfect and it created Hulk instead only because of the whole "good becomes greater, bad becomes worse" rule.

LaNaranja

In the MCU, that could eventually translate into the realization that Banner's reproduction of the Captain America super soldier serum was perfect and it created Hulk instead only because of the whole "good becomes greater, bad becomes worse" rule.

Well fuck, now I am going to be bummed when it turns out that this isn't the case. :(

J10

Banned
I doubt they'll do this, but I thought that Banner would be a great alternate mental template for Ultron. Because then they could start opening up the door to some cool Hulk stories about how Hulk exists mainly because Banner has always been crazy.

That would be a very bad idea from a creative standpoint. The writing is already on the wall with Banner - the last thing a scientist would wanna do is try to copy that mind. At least if it were Pym it would be uncharted territory since the audience hasn't met him yet.

That would be a very bad idea from a creative standpoint. The writing is already on the wall with Banner - the last thing a scientist would wanna do is try to copy that mind. At least if it were Pym it would be uncharted territory since the audience hasn't met him yet.

Tony might be arrogant enough to do it without telling Banner. I mean, he might think that he'd be able to control any anomalies and that Banner's personality would be easier to work with since they're friends IRL and even Hulk saved his life.

Slayven

Tony might be arrogant enough to do it without telling Banner. I mean, he might think that he'd be able to control any anomalies and that Banner's personality would be easier to work with.

Tony is an asshole, not crazy. At most it would create a robot that wants to gamble and get hookers. Pym is legit mentally ill.

Tony is an asshole, not crazy. At most it would create a robot that wants to gamble and get hookers. Pym is legit mentally ill.

I meant that Tony might create a robot with Banner's mental template because he'd think it would be easier to control than one with his own. Since they're friends, sort of.

guek

Banned
I don't like Banner or Hulk being crazy though. Bruce has dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities) while Hank is bipolar schizophrenic. Tony is a narcissist but also not crazy.

My favorite theory is that the mind gem generates a spark of consciousness from the remnants of an old AI project started by Hank Pym that had been corrupted by the project insight algorithm.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
My theory:

Ultron is an AI offshoot of Project Insight hidden in a bunker in NYC similar to Arnim Zola in Winter Soldier.

Bonus: in the 1960s, Hank Pym worked on this project under orders of Alexander Pierce.

I don't like Banner or Hulk being crazy though. Bruce has dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities) while Hank is bipolar schizophrenic. Tony is a narcissist but also not crazy.

My favorite theory is that the mind gem generates a spark of consciousness from the remnants of an old AI project started by Hank Pym that had been corrupted by the project insight algorithm.

Banner has some other serious issues which caused the dissociative identity disorder. Though... I'd probably say that the DID alone qualifies him as being pretty crazy. I mean, he is the guy who routinely gets into serious arguments with himself.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
to watch this or not to watch this... i hate to spoil myself on things but i don't think i'll be able to help myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom