• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

Plus I don't want to see scumbag Tony in the MCU. I mean, during his Director of SHIELD days Tony was the biggest douche ever. He redeemed himself during Dark Reign, but during Civil War I really disliked the guy. Sending Hulk into space, baaaaaad idea.

okay that was more of a Illuminati thing, but still

NastyBook

Also there's no earthly way that Robert Downey Jr would let this scene happen to his character.
Ehh, he's on his way out. Doubt anybody would be upset if he jobbed real quick to somebody that's clearly more powerful than his character anyhow. If it brings the Black and Gold armor in, I'm definitely down for it.

I never really liked the Planet Hulk idea and I don't know why.

I don't like it either, honestly. The idea in the comics was neat, but I don't think it would be terribly interesting for a movie, especially since the MCU Hulk doesn't really... talk. And Planet Hulk requires a permanent Hulk transformation for the entire story.

Personally, I think it could work if they went with a Merged Hulk storyline first (I have a list of ones that would work really well for the universe, as well as quick ways to get there so there isn't a huge explanation about why the Hulk is smart now) so that we get an intelligent, talking Hulk and then maybe go into the Planet Hulk thing.

inky

I don't like it either, honestly. The idea in the comics was neat, but I don't think it would be terribly interesting for a movie, especially since the MCU Hulk doesn't really... talk. And Planet Hulk requires a permanent Hulk transformation for the entire story.

Well, it's not a terribly original story underneath: being betrayed and exiled, then forming an alliance with unlikely friends to overcome common obstacles and learn about yourself, become their leader figure, and finally go back and face the people who put you there thanks to your newly acquired resolve, etc. But I thought they handled it pretty well.

Why I don't think as highly of it as many people seem to do is because Hulk has always been to me about the internal conflict of these opposite sides of the spectrum within a single person, and learning to live with the consequences of both. I don't think that is shown in PH or WWH after it. It is more about giving the Hulk monster some character and depth beyond his usual rage.

Obviously, Hulk is not a new thing, so I'm sure the former is explored time and time again, while the latter has seen fewer storylines and regular comic book readers found it a bit refreshing, but in movie form I don't think it would really translate as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Civil War in the MCU wouldn't work because all the heroes introduced so far are all tools who have submitted to the government instead of actual vigilantes.
wut

Pretty much every character in the MCU has had ambivalent feelings about S.H.I.E.L.D., hell that was one of the biggest subplots in the Avengers, and have far from submitted. Just because there is a common goal that they've worked towards doesn't mean they haven't been living their own lives.

wut

Pretty much every character in the MCU has had ambivalent feelings about S.H.I.E.L.D., hell that was one of the biggest subplots in the Avengers, and have far from submitted. Just because there is a common goal that they've worked towards doesn't mean they haven't been living their own lives.

Shield was the one that got them all together. Shield created the name Avengers and Samuel L Jackson and Coulson deliberately used Coulson's death to manipulate them into forming the Avengers. The MCU Avengers was 100% formed by SHIELD as opposed to the comic book version which came together on it's own and while they've worked with SHIELD they were never backed or supported by SHIELD (until Civil War).

Well, it's not a terribly original story underneath: being betrayed and exiled, then forming an alliance with unlikely friends to overcome common obstacles and learn about yourself, become their leader figure, and finally go back and face the people who put you there thanks to your newly acquired resolve, etc. But I thought they handled it pretty well.

Why I don't think as highly of it as many people seem to do is because Hulk has always been to me about the internal conflict of these opposite sides of the spectrum within a single person, and learning to live with the consequences of both. I don't think that is shown in PH or WWH after it. It is more about giving the Hulk monster some character and depth beyond his usual rage.

Obviously, Hulk is not a new thing, so I'm sure the former is explored time and time again, while the latter has seen fewer storylines and regular comic book readers found it a bit refreshing, but in movie form I don't think it would really translate as well.

My favorite storylines actually are the ones that "fixed" this problem, the Merged Hulk storylines by Peter David. You have all the personalities of Banner merged together into one super-personality, the Merged Hulk. It shifted the internal conflict a bit so it was less about his personalities combating each other, and more about certain aspects of them influencing him to give him a harsher outlook and ignore anyone who noticed the difference in his personality (more confident, more arrogant, less concerned with breaking rules, etc).

And then it kinda did a riff on Christmas Carol thing, where he was finally forced to confront what he would become if he kept on going down that trajectory (Future Imperfect). It wasn't pretty. This was quickly followed by a complete collapse in confidence as he slowly started breaking apart again.

It was a different kind of story from the typical Hulk and I really liked it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Because
it wasn't SHIELD that had the knowledge, and Coulson also destroyed the only source "we" know of
That's why I added the "whatever" :p
Still, if Fury could pull strings to save Son of Coul, he totally can for Tony

Personally, I think it could work if they went with a Merged Hulk storyline first (I have a list of ones that would work really well for the universe, as well as quick ways to get there so there isn't a huge explanation about why the Hulk is smart now) so that we get an intelligent, talking Hulk and then maybe go into the Planet Hulk thing.

I forget where, but someone mentioned killing off an Avenger in Avengers 2. I suggested that Ultron funds a way to kill off Banner, which creates a Hulk that can't calm down as there is no physical Banner to revert to. After Hulk Smashes Ultron, he turns on the Avengers forcing them to launch him into space and his own movie. Banner lives on in his head and eventually grasp how to be a conscious Banner Hulk as that was the only way to coexist since he couldn't revert back into human Banner.
Post Planet Hulk, Hulk somehow hitched a ride back to Earth by the Guardian's in GotG2 (post credits?) and arrives back on earth just in time for Avengers 3 with Banner now fully in control of the Hulk.

I haven't read all the comics, so I don't know if there are better stories for The Hulk, but I think my idea seems easy enough to do if they were hoping to do Planet Hulk and have a Banner Hulk be the result in the end.

I forget where, but someone mentioned killing off an Avenger in Avengers 2. I suggested that Ultron funds a way to kill off Banner, which creates a Hulk that can't calm down as there is no physical Banner to revert to. After Hulk Smashes Ultron, he turns on the Avengers forcing them to launch him into space and his own movie. Banner lives on in his head and eventually grasp how to be a conscious Banner Hulk as that was the only way to coexist since he couldn't revert back into human Banner.
Post Planet Hulk, Hulk somehow hitched a ride back to Earth by the Guardian's in GotG2 (post credits?) and arrives back on earth just in time for Avengers 3 with Banner now fully in control of the Hulk.

I haven't read all the comics, so I don't know if there are better stories for The Hulk, but I think my idea seems easy enough to do if they were hoping to do Planet Hulk and have a Banner Hulk be the result in the end.

It's been done before, where Banner took a bullet to the brain and couldn't calm down (because, hey! Bullet in the brain) and they couldn't surgically remove the bullet because they couldn't get through the Hulk's skin. The Hulk and Banner have been split twice now and there was even one where Banner committed suicide in his own mind so there was only Hulk left. But those stories weren't even interesting in comic form, so I don't think they'd really translate that well to the big screen.

And believe, me, with that "suicide in his own mind" one, I cite it as evidence that having the mindless Hulk for a significant length of time is fucking boring. It was about three or four years straight of just mindless, bestial Hulk, no talking and even though it ended up with the re-emergence of Banner as it turned out that mind suicide doesn't actually work, it didn't make it any better.

Besides, there are easier ways to get a merged Hulk that don't also having an entire movie that primarily features a mindless raging Hulk. In the comics, just forcing Banner to face his demons while under hypnosis did the trick, but I imagine that mind control powers or magic could accomplish the same thing. I can easily see Loki merging the personalities as a way to neutralize the Hulk's innate fighting skills (or force Banner to the monster all the time), for instance, or Doctor Strange merging the personalities to help fight Thanos in a more strategic manner.

As far as best Hulk stories, I've given this a lot of thought, and I really think that the best way to handle a film Hulk story is to treat Banner like a supervillain. He can't just be sitting around minding his own business until the bad guy shows up because he does not react well to surprises. He needs to be the instigator, needs to be the one with the plan. My favorite Hulk stories have always been the ones where Banner was trying to get something done at the same time as dodging the authorities.

The Norton Hulk almost did this, but they made the mistake of having him half-assed try to get something unattainable, which made the movie kinda fail. I'd say that given Banner is very much anti-establishment, having him discover something seriously shady that's the government's been doing and go quasi-domestic terrorist would be a more interesting take (this has also been done before in comics, but I suggest it because it worked very well). They probably will never do this, but I can dream.

Hawkeye's new outfit:

YGX374CJ1868-674-k65H--640x360@LaStampa.it.jpg

CNG8NF2V1092-k65H--640x360@LaStampa.it.jpg

Via MCU OT

Wazzy

Banned
I'll be so happy if they give him the mask. I mean, I'm already happy with this but the mask would just be amazing.

I'm gonna force myself to like Renner now.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Shield was the one that got them all together. Shield created the name Avengers and Samuel L Jackson and Coulson deliberately used Coulson's death to manipulate them into forming the Avengers. The MCU Avengers was 100% formed by SHIELD as opposed to the comic book version which came together on it's own and while they've worked with SHIELD they were never backed or supported by SHIELD (until Civil War).

yeah but it was the change that required everyone to register that split all the heroes , working for SHIELD or not so meh ....best part of civil war was Wonder Man and Ms Marvel , and that final full page spread...y'all knew he had Steves back.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Hearing that Hawkeye is going to be a bit of a focus makes me worried. I don't like that character at all. But I trust in Whedon.

yeah hearing that actually lessened the hype for the movie for me.

it should focus on Cap, Thor and Iron Man with everyone else revolving around those 3. *sigh*

LaNaranja

Fuck I really want to keep away from these threads but I CAN"T. How long until first trailer? Bundled with Guardians of the Galaxy I assume right?

TDLink

Fuck I really want to keep away from these threads but I CAN"T. How long until first trailer? Bundled with Guardians of the Galaxy I assume right?

Comic con probably. Not sure what they will put on GotG since it's such a big gap between the films...but probably at least a teaser. First full public trailer will probably be around the super bowl.

it should focus on Cap, Thor and Iron Man with everyone else revolving around those 3. *sigh*

Why should it when those three have standalone movies aside from the Avengers?

As much as I like the Big Three, I like my supporting cast just as much, especially when they're giving time to develop both Hulk & Hawkeye.

Shaanyboi

Banned

...Wait, is this serious? Ew, no. This immediately evokes that gif of the cat looking up and being grossed out.

There are plenty of interesting characters and dynamics that the Avengers movies could explore that exist outside those three characters.

BLACKLAC

The big 3 have their own movies. It would be smart on Marvel's part to have Avengers films shine more light on its other heroes.

Catching Fire was so good because of the great supporting characters.

Sheroking

RE: Civil War and that Thor/Iron Man comic:

Marvel films seems to get that the dick-swinging, in-fighting and politics have SEVERELY bogged down the Marvel universe in the last decade or so.

Any conflict will be light and easily resolvable. They're clearly not in the business of leaving anybody with any feeling but excitement and happiness, which is also why they're not going to be killing love interests or ending movies on a sour note. Civil War was the ultimate sour note (and not just because it was bad).

Tobor

...Wait, is this serious? Ew, no. This immediately evokes that gif of the cat looking up and being grossed out.

There are plenty of interesting characters and dynamics that the Avengers movies could explore that exist outside those three characters.

Agreed. Luckily for us, Joss Whedon also agrees.

J10

Banned
I'm hoping they play up the back and forth between Hawkeye and Cap. There's potential for good comedy and tension there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm hoping they play up the back and forth between Hawkeye and Cap. There's potential for good comedy and tension there.

I wanna see Hawkeye fuck with Hulk... and immediately regret fucking with Hulk.

But yes. Hawkeye is great and I'm excited to see him interact with the rest of the team more.

I wanna see Hawkeye fuck with Hulk... and immediately regret fucking with Hulk.

But yes. Hawkeye is great and I'm excited to see him interact with the rest of the team more.

Nah, best part of EMH was the Hulk & Hawkeye buddy relationship. If I can get a scene where Hawkeye gets to ride on Hulk's shoulders, I will geek the fuck out with glee.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Guyz what if he changes his name to Hulkeye, and instead of Scott Lang he has Banner in the Ant-Man suit strapped to an arrow and as soon as it hits someone he Hulks out and they just immediately explode into a mass of blood and guts?

Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom