• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think, that at least Tony Stark will die.

But maybe, he will even die in the end of Avengers 2, maybe Ultron findes some way hack of his suit and kills him and making some kind of Star Trek 2 situation. Joss Whedon already said, that he thinks the second part of a triology needs to be the darkest.

The main plot for Phase III will be the hunt after the Infinity Stones and the Infinity Gauntlet with the goal to bring Tony back to life. And this brings the attention of Thanos back on earth again.

I dunno. I think they've been setting up really well for a Civil War type story. I think Age of Ultron will end up with everyone hating each other and then start taking sides on the whole registration thing in Avengers 3. Duking it out amongst the team while Thanos grabs all the Infinity Stones in the background. And then suddenly, they'll have to abandon their individual problems to join up together again and fight Thanos.

Khezu

His hair looks better there.

I'm guessing they are going to do the whole thing where the more he uses his powers, the more his hair changes color until there is no brown left.

Exotoro

His hair looks better there.

I'm guessing they are going to do the whole thing where the more he uses his powers, the more his hair changes color until there is no brown left.

they'd better explain the beard

that's the part that's really not selling it for me

What makes you think so? I never thought of anything like this while watching the movies.

And wouldnt be Civil War and Thanos not be far too much for one movie?

I could see them splitting those ideas into 2 movies. For what it's worth, the first Avengers movie was very much an adaptation of the 1st Avengers issue but tweaked by adding elements in. I don't think any Avengers film is going two combine two major storylines when they can profit from making more films.

Quicksilver's shirt is exactly the kind of thing you'd wear while running. Not sure about the pants though.

I think it's fine. Shirt looks like a running compression shirt while the pants, though not quite tights, look like a pair of running pants.

Korten

Banned
Isn't the problem with the Civil War idea is that... SHIELD already knows everyone identities?

I never read much from Civil War but wasn't the idea that Tony supported the Hero Registration Act and Captain America didn't? And the general idea was that all Heroes had to register so that the government knows their identities?

I guess it just seems hard to make such a story unless they introduce a shit ton of new heroes whose identities are hidden.

What makes you think so? I never thought of anything like this while watching the movies.

And wouldnt be Civil War and Thanos not be far too much for one movie?

I thought it mainly during the end of Avengers, when everyone wants to know who they are and feel uncomfortable with the idea that they might be just walking the streets like normal people. Both the people being interviewed and the mysterious secret council wanted to know. I dunno. It just seems like a logical progression from there.

And I don't think it would be too much if it were handled as more of a background side plot. I mean, it wouldn't be the whole Civil War story. That's too much. It would be starting it, people taking sides, maybe a few skirmishes and then Thanos shows up and they abandon the argument to go deal with the cosmic catastrophe.

Isn't the problem with the Civil War idea is that... SHIELD already knows everyone identities?

I never read much from Civil War but wasn't the idea that Tony supported the Hero Registration Act and Captain America didn't? And the general idea was that all Heroes had to register so that the government knows their identities?

I guess it just seems hard to make such a story unless they introduce a shit ton of new heroes whose identities are hidden.

It doesn't have to be about secret identities. Maybe make it so everyone has to report to SHIELD and they are more hands-on with overseeing all superhuman activity. Anything that would make some heroes feel like their freedoms are being encroached on despite being a source of good for the people.

That said I don't think they'll do a Civil War story any time soon. That's the kind of thing that needs to rock the very foundation of the MCU, and we're only just getting started. It's simply not "big" enough to have the same impact.

I think they'll continue to adapt and modernize classic arcs like the first battle with Loki, Ultron Unlimited, Infinity Gem, etc. Maybe incorporate ideas from Civil War at some point, but I don't think we'll see "MARVEL'S AVENGERS: CIVIL WAR" on screen any time soon.

-griffy-

Banned
Why does his hair look different day by day?

It's just lighting and different cameras taking pictures from different angles at different exposures, etc. What's important to remember is that by the time we see the actual footage shot by their cameras with the proper lighting and color timed in post, it will look very different to these flat spy pics.

J10

Banned

The registration act was more about curbing reckless vigilantism. Their identities weren't the only issue; it was a response to a great tragedy caused by young, inexperienced people with super powers. Then the problem becomes what happens when congress or the president have an army of superheroes or what happens when villains hack a government database and find everybody's real names.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I actually think, that at least Tony Stark will die.

But maybe, he will even die in the end of Avengers 2, maybe Ultron findes some way hack of his suit and kills him and making some kind of Star Trek 2 situation. Joss Whedon already said, that he thinks the second part of a triology needs to be the darkest.

The main plot for Phase III will be the hunt after the Infinity Stones and the Infinity Gauntlet with the goal to bring Tony back to life. And this brings the attention of Thanos on earth back again.
Agents of SHIELD spoilers:
Coulson was brought back from actual dead without the gems or anything but potentially-Kree blood, so I don't think that would happen.

I was thinking it would be less about revealing their identities to SHIELD and more about releasing their identities to the general public/mysterious secret council.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Agents of SHIELD spoilers:
Coulson was brought back from actual dead without the gems or anything but potentially-Kree blood, so I don't think that would happen.

In a single Episode of Agents of Shield it makes sense not using the Infinity Gems.
In movie, which most likely will feature the Ifinity Gems and the Gauntlet it would not.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
In a single Episode of Agents of Shield it makes sense not using the Infinity Gems.
In movie, which most likely will feature the Ifinity Gems and the Gauntlet it would not.
But why traverse the universe when SHIELD/whatever has the knowledge and the means to do so?

JCreasy

These images have me sincerely hyped for some reason. I wasn't expecting to feel this way.

What's happening to me????

Civil War kind of loses all it's bite when the MCU doesn't have enough superheroes in it yet to have a "war". It doesn't have to be about the identities, but it should probably be at least about registering. What's the problem then if the majority of the big hitters are already working under/with SHIELD and a lot of the others are on "the Index"? I feel like it's something they can do later down the line when they establish a world FULL of superheroes and powers. You could solve that problem a bit with the Inhumans substituting for mutants route, but then it becomes more of a racial thing along the line of the Mutant Registration Act. There's potential in that though. Maybe combine the two events.

Civil War kind of loses all it's bite when the MCU doesn't have enough superheroes in it yet to have a "war". It doesn't have to be about the identities, but it should probably be at least about registering. What's the problem then if the majority of the big hitters are already working under/with SHIELD and a lot of the others are on "the Index"? I feel like it's something they can do later down the line when they establish a world FULL of superheroes and powers. You could solve that problem a bit with the Inhumans substituting for mutants route, but then it becomes more of a racial thing along the line of the Mutant Registration Act. There's potential in that though. Maybe combine the two events.

Well, my idea was not to make it really that similar to the comics. It would be vaguely riffing on the same idea, but a totally different execution. I said Civil War since that's the mindset, but it would be more about revealing the true identities of the supers to the public. Like, everyone knows Tony Stark is Iron Man. But it's not public knowledge who the others are.

It depends on how the second movie plays out, but I could see an event where Tony might start pushing for everyone else to reveal their true identities publicly as a way of gaining the trust of the general population. Which would almost definitely meet with resistance. I don't think adding more characters would be necessary per se, but with Doctor Strange, Scott Lang, and possibly the TV show heroes, there should be a pretty healthy pool to draw from.

kirblar

Civil War (the comic series) was about the Mutant Registration Act actually going through, something which doesn't really work in the cinematic universe, even if adapted.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Civil War (the comic series) was about the Mutant Registration Act actually going through, something which doesn't really work in the cinematic universe, even if adapted.

Nope Civil War was about the Superhuman Registration Act after a bus of kids got blown up in a superhero/villain fight.

Wikipedia said:
Public sentiment toward superheroes plummeted after the New Warriors, a group of young superheroes and the focus of a reality TV show, botched an attempt to apprehend a group of supervillains in a quest for better ratings. In the resulting fight the villain Nitro used his explosive powers to destroy several city blocks, including an elementary school at the epicenter, resulting in the death of over 600 civilians, 60 of whom were children, with just Speedball of the Warriors and Nitro himself surviving. Although many high-profile superheroes assisted in the relief and rescue effort, there were a number of isolated revenge attacks, and support for registration rose.

Well, my idea was not to make it really that similar to the comics. It would be vaguely riffing on the same idea, but a totally different execution. I said Civil War since that's the mindset, but it would be more about revealing the true identities of the supers to the public. Like, everyone knows Tony Stark is Iron Man. But it's not public knowledge who the others are.

It depends on how the second movie plays out, but I could see an event where Tony might start pushing for everyone else to reveal their true identities publicly as a way of gaining the trust of the general population. Which would almost definitely meet with resistance. I don't think adding more characters would be necessary per se, but with Doctor Strange, Scott Lang, and possibly the TV show heroes, there should be a pretty healthy pool to draw from.
I don't think there is a the moment though.

Current Avengers line up:

Captain America - Identity public knowledge
Iron Man - Identity public knowledge
Thor - No secret Identity. People know his face though.
Hulk - Not sure about that one.
Hawkeye - SHIELD Agent. Doesn't make sense to make identity public knowledge.
Black Widow - SHIELD Agent. Doesn't make sense to make identity public knowledge.

That basically leaves it to Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange. Even assuming the first two aren't public knowledge at the end of A2, they'll still probably be working with SHIELD if they're still on the Avengers. That doesn't leave a lot of people to make a war over even when you count the Netflix show heroes.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Superhero registration act in a universe where all of the heroes identities are pretty much public anyway? Yeah, I don't know if that's going to fly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Civil War doesn't make sense in the MCU, at least under the same context as the comics. They could always manufacture some other issue to divide the heroes I suppose.

Black Widow - SHIELD Agent. Doesn't make sense to make identity public knowledge.

That basically leaves it to Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange. Even assuming the first two aren't public knowledge at the end of A2, they'll still probably be working with SHIELD if they're still on the Avengers. That doesn't leave a lot of people to make a war over even when you count the Netflix show heroes.
isn't captain America given a secret identity or at least is living under the radar with shield? Doesn't that technically mean he has a secret identity.

Is it widely known that Steve Rogers is Captain America? I mean originally, maybe, but I was under the impression that it isn't widely known that the Captain America now is the same one as the one from WWII.

And I'm almost completely sure that Banner's identity is a military secret.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Is it widely known that Steve Rogers is Captain America? I mean originally, maybe, but I was under the impression that it isn't widely known that the Captain America now is the same one as the one from WWII.

And I'm almost completely sure that Banner's identity is a military secret.

Having watched the first 10 minutes of The Winter Soldier that popped up online
He introduces himself to Sam Wilson by name, and Sam replies with something like "Yeah, I kinda got that" so his identity is definitely public

Hulk's identity may not technically be public, but Banner is a fugitive from justice and I'm sure his name is on a wanted list somewhere.

Having watched the first 10 minutes of The Winter Soldier that popped up online
He introduces himself to Sam Wilson by name, and Sam replies with something like "Yeah, I kinda got that" so his identity is definitely public

Hulk's identity may not technically be public, but Banner is a fugitive from justice and I'm sure his name is on a wanted list somewhere.

Well, it's definitely public in the military/SHIELD. Not sure if
Sam Wilson is already kinda in that crowd or not, given that intro. At the end of Avengers, the waitress he saved didn't know who he was, and she's definitely in the "Joe normal" crowd.

I'm also not sure if Banner is a widely known fugitive. Like, he's been shown to be careful not to attract the attention of the military and SHIELD, but it never seemed like there was anything out on him in the civilian side of things. He'd still avoid them because their records are more easily accessible by the guys he's actually hiding from, but I don't think there's any sort of general warning about him.

psylah

It's from an Avengers 2 set over at another location.

2epj.jpg

Ultron's been skipping leg day...

I'd say that the reason for his hair looking different is Joss looked at the Dailies last night and didn't like what he saw. Made a change. He'll pick up shots where it's too noticeable.

Sadist

Nah, Civil War won't work in the current movie verse. In the end, the only ones who truly need some sort of registration are the Asgardians. And I don't think that would make Thor happy...

1538869-thor.jpg

Maybe that's the point though. To make it look practical, like something an actual runner would wear... as opposed to a "costume".

They clearly don't give a fuck with Captain America, though I guess a lot of that is very real in-universe nostalgia. And plus the WS costume is much more reserved.

Gintamen

Maybe that's the point though. To make it look practical, like something an actual runner would wear... as opposed to a "costume".
It's not like it's impossible to buy that outfit irl. A top for running in the cold, the pants could come from some with winter clothes, the shoes... certainly not a 'standard' costume.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Heh, I always kinda thought civil war was seeded by the random civilian comments at the end of Avengers. Some people demanding accountability for all the destruction, others saying are you crazy? Captain America saved my life.

tbh the concept may work better in the MCU than the comics. MCU is like a superhero universe just getting started. The public is still amazed, but hasn't had much time to become paranoid yet. What if tons of street heroes begins showing up? The Netflix series could promote that idea.

I could see a lot of heroes coming to loggerheads with SHIELD in MCU, as SHIELD comes down on the side of control and registration (they already have their private lists of special people), and SHIELD is already discredited after the events of Winter Soldier.

inky

They clearly don't give a fuck with Captain America, though I guess a lot of that is very real in-universe nostalgia. And plus the WS costume is much more reserved.

We still have no context tho. Steve Rogers didn't start the movie wearing a costume. Considering both SW and QS designs, they are clearly going for a "street clothes with a couple of nods" for both at this point in the shooting. Maybe it changes later into a proper costume, maybe it doesn't but without knowing the story bits we can't really say. They don't give a fuck about Cap's costume in his movies because they did a bit of establishing it. There's also the tone of the movie to take into account, and Avengers was clearly going for a very specific tone where all these people stood out, but no one really cared.

I think the whole outfit is growing on me. From the profile shots it seems that they are going to emphasize the white stripes that are shaped in kind of a lighting bolt. We still haven't seen how that looks on camera, but if the material is anything like the reflective material on modern sportswear, it is likely it will stand out once the post-processing is done, which could give it a more iconic look compared to these stills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom