• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNaranja

Holy shit you guys are talking about the Dark Reign run of War Machine without me!?!?!?

APR090515.jpg

I highly recommend you all check it out. The storyline starts with the last 3 issues of Iron Man: Director of SHIELD. Best War Machine story out there. Rhodey is basically a Transformer.

J10

Banned
Secret Invasion was so good it made me give a shit about the Thunderbolts. It was one of the few events that made me read every single crossover issue.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Keep forgetting Rhodey is in the film.

I don't think they'll keep the Iron Patriot livery (despite what it stands for, too closely associated with the corruption in Washington), but I'm not sure if they'll go back to the traditional look either. Probably will.

I don't think they'll keep the Iron Patriot livery (despite what it stands for, too closely associated with the corruption in Washington), but I'm not sure if they'll go back to the traditional look either. Probably will.

I hope they do. One damn fight scene in Iron Man 2 with the REAL War Machine will never be enough.

Slayven

well he is using it in comics and has his own squad or IP drones.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I'd want him to start as Iron Patriot and then near the end, he just says "Fuck that, I AM WAR MACHINE" and wrecks some Ultron robots.

NastyBook

Because it's an issue that has been unaddressed in every MCU film ever.
I'm still trying to figure out how the Oldstrong took it. Did he like change to Gray Hulk or something off panel? No way she took him as Green Hulk. He'd have split her in twain.

eastx

If they could have tied up the anxiety stuff better and had a bit more satisfying of an ending I think I'd be able to say it was a great film instead of having all these ambivalent feelings towards it.

Exactly how I feel about it. There are parts I like, but Tony not being in the suit during the plane scene, the poor flow and editing of the climactic battle scene, Tony randomly getting his chest fixed with no explanation, and dumping the suits with very little setup other than some thematic elements all keep me from being too happy with Iron Man 3. But the comedy and I don't know what else sure has earned it a lot of ardent fans.

styl3s

Because it's an issue that has been unaddressed in every MCU film ever.
The Hulk has no penis.

It's like when you were a kid and you took a bath and your penis was like FUCK THIS HOT WATER and tried to go back inside you. Hulks penis and testicles do that as a defense mechanism. Blast him in the crotch? No problamo, Hulk no feel, Hulk smash your head.

LaNaranja

Exactly how I feel about it. There are parts I like, but Tony not being in the suit during the plane scene, the poor flow and editing of the climactic battle scene, Tony randomly getting his chest fixed with no explanation, and dumping the suits with very little setup other than some thematic elements all keep me from being too happy with Iron Man 3. But the comedy and I don't know what else sure has earned it a lot of ardent fans.

It was a fun cross-country road trip where Tony Stark finds out who he really is. I actually liked how little of the suit we saw. His fight scenes out of the suit in Tennessee and Miami were a great change of pace. The final battle where he is jumping in and out of suits was also really damn cool. And the score is fantastic, best in any MCU film. I love that Brian Tyler is also working on Age of Ultron. On top of all that it has the first appearance of Nova in the 199999.

It currently my favorite MCU film, in front of Avengers and Cap 2.

eastx

It was a fun cross-country road trip where Tony Stark finds out who he really is. I actually liked how little of the suit we saw. His fight scenes out of the suit in Tennessee and Miami were a great change of pace. The final battle where he is jumping in and out of suits was also really damn cool. And the score is fantastic, best in any MCU film. I love that Brian Tyler is also working on Age of Ultron. On top of all that it has the first appearance of Nova in the 199999.

To be clear, I don't mind Tony being suitless in much of the film. Most of those scenes are great. It's the fact that he doesn't even don the suit to rescue the president that deflates the seriousness of the scene that preceded it and even the story, to an extent.

Jumping in and out of suits isn't so bad, but the final battle is edited poorly IMO. It's mostly just shots of CG suits flying by so fast you can barely see them, which is flashy but much less powerful dramatically than a well-staged, mostly practical action sequence. The whole thing reminds me of the Iron Man 2 anticlimax against the drones, though done at least a bit better.

You could be jumping to conclusions on the Nova thing. :p

With you on the score; definitely one of the better Marvel scores.

CLEEK

At the time, I was a bit bummed out with IM3, as I'd expected it to follow on from IM2 and the Avengers, and be central to SHIELD and the wider MCU. I really expected it to lead to the Cosmic stuff, with Tony having space capable suits. But it was the most stand alone of all Marvel sequels.

As a film in general, I think it's a very good one. Not what I was expecting, kind of redundant in many ways, but certainly well made and enjoyable.

LaNaranja

To be clear, I don't mind Tony being suitless in much of the film. Most of those scenes are great. It's the fact that he doesn't even don the suit to rescue the president that deflates the seriousness of the scene that preceded it and even the story, to an extent.

Jumping in and out of suits isn't so bad, but the final battle is edited poorly IMO. It's mostly just shots of CG suits flying by so fast you can barely see them, which is flashy but much less powerful dramatically than a well-staged, mostly practical action sequence. The whole thing reminds me of the Iron Man 2 anticlimax against the drones, though done at least a bit better.

You could be jumping to conclusions on the Nova thing. :p

With you on the score; definitely one of the better Marvel scores.

I figured he just didn't want to risk going in on his own with the shoddy Mark 42 when he didn't know how many people he was going to have to face in there. If there had been one more extremis dude on board that armor would not have made it.

I thought that last battle was fine. That CG is expensive and they had to spend some on Downey because he busted his ankle while filming that final battle (doing one of the jumps). I was fine with the final scene because it doesn't overstay its welcome like the final battle in Avengers or Man of Steel.

TDLink

@DarthOrange,

Get out of here with your Nova theory. That kid is not going to be Nova. Nor should anyone seriously want him to be.

LaNaranja

If this kid is going to be Nova, this will be the first MCU movie I refuse to watch.

I doubt they would let him be the lead of his own movie, but I can see him joining the GotG in a sequel.

You guys are crazy if you think we aren't going to be seeing more of him. He got as much screen time as Don Cheadle did.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I doubt they would let him be the lead of his own movie, but I can see him joining the GotG in a sequel.

You guys are crazy if you think we aren't going to be seeing more of him. He got as much screen time as Don Cheadle did.

OK, than I will refuse to watch the Guardians Sequel.

But anyway, what makes you so sure that he is going to be Nova? Just the fact, that the current comic Nova is a kid?

But anyway, what makes you so sure that he is going to be Nova? Just the fact, that the current comic Nova is a kid?

He also signed a multi-picture deal but I think that's a Marvel standard at this point. Doesn't mean they actually will use him ever again.

LaNaranja

His age lines up such that a he would be around 15 by the time they would get around to a Guardians 2. That would be the same age as the new Nova everyone hates, who got his own series around the same time Iron Man 3 came out.

Son Of D

I think there was an interview where he said something about Nova and people assumed he was going to be Nova. Not entirely sure though.

I don't think Iron Man 3 will be the last time he's seen though. I think he'll at least appear briefly in Avengers 2, even if it's just a scene of him seeing Iron Man on the news based on what's happening with Ultron.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
His age lines up such that a he would be around 15 by the time they would get around to a Guardians 2. That would be the same age as the new Nova everyone hates, who got his own series around the same time Iron Man 3 came out.

So just constructed proofs, nothing solid what would hinting in the direction of a Nova movie.

TDLink

How are we crazy? The kid got a lot of screen time in Iron Man 3, but that doesn't indicate he will get more screentime in the future. He was an important character in that film to help Tony Stark's character journey. That's it. There is no real reason for him to ever come back in any other capacity, and just because he had a lot of screen time does not mean he has to come back. The only one who looks crazy here is you for trying to cobble together reasons this random kid is going to end up being Nova.

None of that means he is going to be Nova in the MCU. Literally, none of it. You're trying to make a case here out of nothing.

Let's also keep in mind that everything shown so far of GotG is following the Abnett and Lanning version of the comics rather than the newer cosmic comics by Bendis and Loeb. Kid Nova was not part of those older comics, Richard Rider was. Kid Nova also had his comic series bomb...because it was not only vastly inferior to the Abnett/Lanning Richard Rider series, but also he wasn't Richard Rider.

When we get Nova on screen, he's going to be Richard Rider.

There is no way they are going to be using Abnett/Lanning era-everything when it comes to cosmic except for Nova.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How are we crazy? The kid got a lot of screen time in Iron Man 3, but that doesn't indicate he will get more screentime in the future. He was an important character in that film to help Tony Stark's character journey. That's it. There is no real reason for him to ever come back in any other capacity, and just because he had a lot of screen time does not mean he has to come back. The only one who looks crazy here is you for trying to cobble together reasons this random kid is going to end up being Nova.
Didn't he sign a multi-picture contract? And that he was approached about possibly playing Richard Rider?

I don't think we'll see a young Nova anytime soon, without some sort of freakish age acceleration at some point in the film.

TDLink

Didn't he sign a multi-picture contract? And that he was approached about possibly playing Richard Rider?

I don't think we'll see a young Nova anytime soon, without some sort of freakish age acceleration at some point in the film.

Every actor in every Marvel film now signs a multi-picture contract, just in case. It's just standard. In this kid's case it was a 3 picture deal, 1 picture being used up. When they introduce Nova to the MCU they are going to want to use him for more than just 2 films...so that should be an indication right there that this kid is not the path they are going down for Nova.

The only thing the kid (or anyone) has said officially in regards to him being Nova is:

“Well, I actually never thought about that but we did read an article. Have you ever heard about the comic book Nova?” Simpkins asked. “We read an article about how Harley might be my middle name, and Keener could be my mom’s maiden name, and my dad could have joined the Nova Corps. Then my real name’s Richie and I actually figure it out because my mom gets killed by an alien, then I figure out that my dad joined the Nova Corps, and I join the Nova Corps and I become Nova.”

In other words, he saw some internet speculation saying he could be Nova (probably similar to what DarthOrange is saying) and said in an interview "yeah, I guess that makes sense." However, he does not actually know that will be the case. He did not say that will be the case. No one else involved in the MCU has ever indicated this will be the case. Therefore, it will not be the case.

Secret Invasion was so good it made me give a shit about the Thunderbolts. It was one of the few events that made me read every single crossover issue.
The Thunderbolts were good way before SI. Even the original series is some of my favorite stuff from the 90's.

Also, as if having kid Nova wouldn't be bad enough, it would be way worse if he just happened to run into Tony Stark before becoming a super hero.

LaNaranja

Kid Nova also had his comic series bomb...because it was not only vastly inferior to the Abnett/Lanning Richard Rider series, but also he wasn't Richard Rider.

When we get Nova on screen, he's going to be Richard Rider.

Ultimate Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man have shown that the story is more important then who is in the suit. That Kid Nova series would not have been better in any way if you changed the character to Richard but kept the same people in charge.

I don't think it would be that big a deal if Ty (or any actor) played a Nova whose human name was something other then Richard. Richard's exact origin probably won't be happening in the MCU anyway unless they really make John C. Reilly the last surviving Nova Centurion at the end of Guardians. As long as Loeb stays away I don't see why it would be a problem.

so the kid from IM3 is really DarthOrange?

Oh no I've been found out!

TDLink

Ultimate Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man have shown that the story is more important then who is in the suit. That Kid Nova series would not have been better in any way if you changed the character to Richard but kept the same people in charge.

We don't need the Spider-Man cartoon version of Nova. Nova is a cosmic hero. We have enough Earth based ones and more on the way. Nova is the obvious choice for expanding the cosmic part of the MCU after GotG. The Kid Nova series would have been better and sold better if it was Richard because Richard is not a kid, he's a space hero who previously had been left on a cliffhanger and people wanted to know what happened to him. Still do in fact.

I don't think it would be that big a deal if Ty (or any actor) played a Nova whose human name was something other then Richard. Richard's exact origin probably won't be happening in the MCU anyway unless they really make John C. Reilly the last surviving Nova Centurion at the end of Guardians. As long as Loeb stays away I don't see why it would be a problem.

Apparently you didn't read Annihilation, in which case I advise you going and doing so.

Reilly's character being in GotG and Nebula being in GotG is actually further evidence that Richard is going to show up in the MCU. His origin involves a conflict between the two of them. Reilly's character is not the last surviving Nova, that is Richard Rider himself...which is the starting point of Annihilation and primarily what turns him into such an amazing character.

Richard Rider is the Nova people want to see, and it's the one we're going to get.

When people see Iron Man they want Tony Stark. When people see Spider-Man they want Peter Parker. When people see Nova, they want Richard Rider.

Even if you don't want Richard to be Nova for some bizarre reason, there is a close to 0% chance that Ty Simpkins from Iron Man 3 is going to be donning that mantle. His contract is too short and there is no evidence at all that is the direction the studio wants to go.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Too many characters. Way too many. I thought they just barely pulled it off in the first Avengers, where most of the characters had already appeared on screen more than once (having Hawkeye in the movie was a mistake) and now they have twice as many characters in Avengers 2, many of whom are brand new. I don't think it's going to work. I think Whedon or whoever is in charge of planning this thing out caught the dumb fuck "MORE IS BETTER" bug that infected Sam Raimi when he was making Spider Man 3 and Christopher Nolan when he was making The Dark Knight Rises. More does not always (read: rarely) equal better.

I mean, I want to be wrong. I hope I am. I guess we'll see.

Okay, my quick google search had the only sources for Ms. Marvel being Daily Mail and another low tier news source... so yeah. Not exactly the most credible of places.

As for Black Panther... I think it's most likely that it's a cameo at best, but probably just a mention like Doctor Strange had in TWS.

LaNaranja

Apparently you didn't read Annihilation, in which case I advise you going and doing so.

Nope. It came out around the same time as Planet Hulk and Civil War and I only had so much monies. I have ordered the omnibus though, the error shall soon be corrected. :)

When people see Iron Man they want Tony Stark. When people see Spider-Man they want Peter Parker. When people see Nova, they want Richard Rider.

I can see that, I guess I just personally don't see it as too big a deal for them to change the name.

Even if you don't want Richard to be Nova for some bizarre reason, there is a close to 0% chance that Ty Simpkins from Iron Man 3 is going to be donning that mantle. His contract is too short and there is no evidence at all that is the direction the studio wants to go.

Contracts can easily be renegotiated. I still think we see more of that kid. If not as Nova then as someone else.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Ty Simpkins will grow up to be the lead engineer on the War Machine / Iron Patriot Project. He'll stay in touch with Tony for technical upgrades on the suit while Rhodey requests for new armaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom