• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
Ty Simpkins can be Iron Lad. Then he can be Kang The Conquerer.

I bet that idea pisses you off even more than him being Nova.

Carcetti

I vote Asbestos Man.

13908746444_259eb29082_o.jpg

Sadly, Asbestos Man was already killed by Lung Cancer Man in issue 756.

jmood88

Too many characters. Way too many. I thought they just barely pulled it off in the first Avengers, where most of the characters had already appeared on screen more than once (having Hawkeye in the movie was a mistake) and now they have twice as many characters in Avengers 2, many of whom are brand new. I don't think it's going to work. I think Whedon or whoever is in charge of planning this thing out caught the dumb fuck "MORE IS BETTER" bug that infected Sam Raimi when he was making Spider Man 3 and Christopher Nolan when he was making The Dark Knight Rises. More does not always (read: rarely) equal better.

I mean, I want to be wrong. I hope I am. I guess we'll see.

If there's one series where more = better, it's the Avengers. The whole point of having a movie like this is to bring together all the otherwise disparate characters into one movie. Of course you don't want 100 characters but since we already know the majority of the characters, Whedon can spend time focusing more on a characters like The Hulk and Hawkeye while still having the others contribute.

Blader

Too many characters. Way too many. I thought they just barely pulled it off in the first Avengers, where most of the characters had already appeared on screen more than once (having Hawkeye in the movie was a mistake) and now they have twice as many characters in Avengers 2, many of whom are brand new. I don't think it's going to work. I think Whedon or whoever is in charge of planning this thing out caught the dumb fuck "MORE IS BETTER" bug that infected Sam Raimi when he was making Spider Man 3 and Christopher Nolan when he was making The Dark Knight Rises. More does not always (read: rarely) equal better.

I mean, I want to be wrong. I hope I am. I guess we'll see.

It's roughly similar to the first movie in terms of lineup. They've dropped Loki, Coulson (
along with SHIELD for that matter
), and Selvig and have reduced Fury and Hill to smaller roles. In exchange, they added Ultron, the twins and (probably for just the final act) The Vision, who is a familiar character anyway.

In any case, problems with multiple characters have to do with how their stories are written into the film than just a number. Spider-Man 3 suffers because it has three separate villains with three separate arcs. The Avengers are all one team, so even if they introduce new characters and new subplots, they're all -- by the concept alone -- woven together.

And technically, Vision is more of an old character getting an upgraded role than a new character coming out of nowhere.

So when you put it like that, we've really only got two new confirmed characters besides the villains and a bunch of people jumping at any straw to add more.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My body is ready. I saw Cap 2 this past Sunday and Scarlett gave a proper Black Widow performance at last. Homegirl needs her own movie ASAP.

I wouldn't be that surprised if they end up retconning the whole movie.

They've already established that it's canon, but they probably won't reference it more than they need to. They should IMO leave Betty out of the picture for now but would hope they bring back Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross, I liked him in the role and maybe now he'll have a bigger part to play in the MCU.

SHIELD essentially protected Banner and SHIELD is now considered a terrorist organization by the US military and Banner's identity is outed as a result of Black Widow's actions. Like Talbot is going after Coulson's team in Agents of SHIELD, now would be a good time to have Ross chasing down Banner again. I think that fallout between the US government and SHIELD should be explored a bit in Age of Ultron and the Hulk could be at the forefront of that.

Dai101

Banned
They've already established that it's canon, but they probably won't reference it more than they need to. They should IMO leave Betty out of the picture for now but would hope they bring back Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross, I liked him in the role and maybe now he'll have a bigger part to play in the MCU.

SHIELD essentially protected Banner and SHIELD is now considered a terrorist organization by the US military and Banner's identity is outed as a result of Black Widow's actions. Like Talbot is going after Coulson's team in Agents of SHIELD, now would be a good time to have Ross chasing down Banner again. I think that fallout between the US government and SHIELD should be explored a bit in Age of Ultron and the Hulk could be at the forefront of that.

So that's what Hulk's rampage in this movie makes sense, the US army is trying to fuck Hulk.

That's a dishevelled looking Banner. Do you think Liv Tyler will be in this one? Genuinely can't remember the last time I saw her in a movie.

Oh, I hope not. She was a terrible Betty. People make fun of Natalie Portman for being an unconvincing scientist, but she's still at least ten times more convincing than Liv Tyler was as a scientist. At least she had some science stuff to say, occasionally looked like she was really into the stuff she was talking about, and had a bit of curiosity. The only thing that told me Liv Tyler was a scientist was the sign that said she was in the Department of Genetics at Culver University or whatever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Maybe Ross could return as Red Hulk in a Phase III Hulk Movie.

Dai101

Banned
Oh, I hope not. She was a terrible Betty. People make fun of Natalie Portman for being an unconvincing scientist, but she's still at least ten times more convincing than Liv Tyler was as a scientist. At least she had some science stuff to say, occasionally looked like she was really into the stuff she was talking about, and had a bit of curiosity. The only thing that told me Liv Tyler was a scientist was the sign that said she was in the Department of Genetics at Culver University or whatever.

It's even more funny with Portman since she's a doctor in real life.

It's even more funny with Portman since she's a doctor in real life.

I think Portman only got her master's (the plebian! XP) but yeah, she does have two papers published, which makes her pretty much the only real scientist of the group of scientists. At the lab, we tend to make the joke that even if she can't pretend to be a scientist in the movies, Natalie Portman is still richer than us, more famous than us, prettier than us, and has more stuff published than us.

Kinda depressing when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom