• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whedon mentioning daddy issues really just seems to be more evidence that Banner's going to be the one who builds him. Or at least his brain patterns could be used to construct the AI. Because while a good number of the characters on the team had poor fathers, he's the only one who still is constantly pissed off about it.

Nether!

I keep forgetting James Spader is playing Ultron.
I've seen the set photos of the robot suit, so will he be providing a voice/pre-transformation/human template/controlled human form/something else?

LaNaranja

still believing in tiers, its all about the execution.

It is all about the execution with the main characters but Lady Sif is a side character who had trouble fighting Lorelei and some bikers in the MCU. I really don't see what she would add to any team. No wonder Thor just shrugs her off.

Also you guys are crazy. Clearly Michael Caine would be the best fit for Thanos.

It is all about the execution with the main characters but Lady Sif is a side character who had trouble fighting Lorelei and some bikers in the MCU. I really don't see what she would add to any team. No wonder Thor just shrugs her off.

Also you guys are crazy. Clearly Michael Caine would be the best fit for Thanos.

The only "trouble" she had in AoS was that the Agents in AoS were a bunch of bumble-fucks and she had to work with them instead of just going HAM solo.

She's an Asgardian warrior and part of Thor's crew ... that alone makes her stronger than most all non-Avengers people in their world.

Blader

Whedon mentioning daddy issues really just seems to be more evidence that Banner's going to be the one who builds him. Or at least his brain patterns could be used to construct the AI. Because while a good number of the characters on the team had poor fathers, he's the only one who still is constantly pissed off about it.

When has Banner's father issues ever been mentioned in these movies? If anything, that just points to Tony more.

J10

Banned
When has Banner's father issues ever been mentioned in these movies? If anything, that just points to Tony more.

It hasn't since Hulk 2003, and that doesn't count toward the MCU. That's a pretty significant story thread, and one that's already been explored with Tony, so it makes more sense for him. That said, we don't know that they're going that route with Ultron yet. Whedon could have other ideas.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but since it's already been said many times that he's got a much bigger part in this movie, maybe this is the time to bring it up? I mean, they didn't give Tony Stark much of a daddy issue other than "I don't think my dad liked me" which was quickly resolved in the same movie. That and we've seen Howard Stark multiple times and he seems like a pretty chill guy... so it would be a bit harder to explain bitter world-destroying hatred emanating from that relationship.

Banner, on the other hand, not only knew for certain that his dad didn't like him, but also knew he was a raging psychopath. And it wouldn't require any flashbacks or anything to tell this story. I mean, in Avengers 1 they managed to reveal his entire death wish subplot in a few lines, so I imagine something similar could work fine here.

Banner builds a robot, it goes crazy, has weird daddy issues, and tries to murder everyone. Banner says something along the lines of "Oh... whoops, when I used my brain scan as a basis for the AI, I totally forgot that I have all this pent up rage against my raging psychopath father." Plot continues from there.

J10

Banned
Banner's been depicted in the MCU more as a doctor. If anybody makes sense building a robot, it's Tony. You're inventing entirely new reasons for Banner to invent Ultron rather than working off of established story threads. Seems unnecessary.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Banner's been depicted in the MCU more as a doctor. If anybody makes sense building a robot, it's Tony. You're inventing entirely new reasons for Banner to invent Ultron rather than working off of established story threads. Seems unnecessary.

This is what always kind of struck me about Hank Pym honestly as well. He invented Ultron in the comics but isn't his specialty like...physics or something? Comic books do this all the time where smart people are just good at "science".

Honestly if Ultron is a Stark creation I'm fine with that mostly because it actually makes sense

EDIT: Pym is a biochemist apparently. Who also discovered shrinking particles and invents a sentient AI.

SCIENCE

J10

Banned
I don't even see Tony building a robot. I see him toying with AI. I bet Ultron builds himself.

Whatever Banner has been up to since Avengers, I bet its related to medicine.

Slayven

That BannerTech for all your AntiSmashing needs.

I dunno. In Avengers 1, they only had that one bit at the beginning with him as a doctor, the rest of the time he was hardcore physics (Tony Stark mainly knew him for his nuclear physics research, he designed the cluster recognition algorithm to find the tesseract, and even though he didn't read the info, still managed to instantly calculate the power requirements for creating a portal with the tesseract). For Bannertech outside that, we've got the tetrodotoxin D from Cap 2 and the high powered gamma emitter from AoS, so equal parts doctor and physicist.

He also has had three years of sitting around in Stark Tower building shit. It would make sense for him to have a magnum opus to show for it and explain what the fuck he's been doing while everyone else went on cool adventures.

J10

Banned
Good points. Not that I don't like the idea - I do - but it would come out of nowhere and require a lot of time to set up properly and this movie is pretty crowded. You couldn't just have Banner be like "Ultron inherited my daddy issues" without showing where the daddy issues come from, and that's not something I would wanna see handwaved away in a few minutes of dialogue. They have to tell the Twins' story as well. And I assume Hawkeye is gonna get more attention as well. So it seems like it would be easier to just build off of what is already established in the solo movies and pay more attention to the characters who don't have those.

That BannerTech for all your AntiSmashing needs.

Don't exist yet in the MCU though.

Well, I think it wouldn't be completely out of the blue for it to be revealed. He's already been set up as having an inordinate amount of rage so it wouldn't be a complete shock... or even that surprising, if a robot with an AI modeled after his brain patterns wouldn't be able to handle it and go berserk. The fact that Whedon has described Ultron as equal parts charming and murderous plays into this part of the narrative as well.

It would be less a sudden revelation and more building on what we got from Avengers 1. Banner is angry all the time. Why? Terrible father. This gets reflected in the psycho robot.

It also doesn't require people to have watched Iron Man 2, which I'd say is an additional bonus. Most of the people who will watch Avengers 2 will be people who watched and enjoyed Avengers 1. Sticking largely to character developments from that film makes more sense to me than referencing stuff from a movie that wasn't very good and that a good portion of the audience wouldn't have seen.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

what does that even mean Lorelei is strong just like Enchantress not to mention Sif held on to a plane flying at some obscene altitude with one arm. Its the execution not your powerlevels you make up while typing a post lol.

Slayven

what does that even mean Lorelei is strong just like Enchantress not to mention Sif held on to a plane flying at some obscene altitude with one arm. Its the execution not your powerlevels you make up while typing a post lol.

People don't realize the average Asgardian is stronger than Spiderman.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Good points. Not that I don't like the idea - I do - but it would come out of nowhere and require a lot of time to set up properly and this movie is pretty crowded. You couldn't just have Banner be like "Ultron inherited my daddy issues" without showing where the daddy issues come from, and that's not something I would wanna see handwaved away in a few minutes of dialogue. They have to tell the Twins' story as well. And I assume Hawkeye is gonna get more attention as well. So it seems like it would be easier to just build off of what is already established in the solo movies and pay more attention to the characters who don't have those.

...this movie's going to be like 3 hours long in that case :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm still mildly convinced Tony will be responsible for Ultron even if indirectly, and there will be a callback to Iron Man 3 where Tony's subconscious manipulated a suit to stalk Pepper. That will become integrated into Ultron and he will do something bad to Pepper.

Because it's Whedon and Tony and Pepper are just too happy now.

I have no doubt the Ultron AI will appropriate his armor for maybe its first iteration body. I dunno if he'll have any active role in creating the AI though (Insight AI theory is more likely) and I don't think he'll intentionally build armor for it.

Because it's Whedon and Tony and Pepper are just too happy now.

I'm very surprised she made it out of IM3 unscathed honestly. If they don't want to ice one of the main cast, she'd be perfect cutting material. Even though it's becoming more evident to me that [Cap 2 Spoilers/Speculation]
Bucky's probably going to replace Steve as Cap like in the comics

Qurupeke

I have no doubt the Ultron AI will appropriate his armor for maybe its first iteration body. I dunno if he'll have any active role in creating the AI though (Insight AI theory is more likely) and I don't think he'll intentionally build armor for it.

Funnily enough, this would make Ultron quite weak. Iron Man 3 destroyed so many armors effortlessly...

duckroll

Beautiful. Who do people think is ultimately going to get to kill Ultron? Hulk? Thor? Iron Man? Kid Nova? Or maybe someone out of left field like Rhodey, Hawkeye, or Pepper?

All the heroes will be trapped or overwhelmed by individual challenges Ultron created for them. All hope is lost. At the last moment, we see a tiny shadow moving around inside Ultron's liar, and once it has gotten into his blind spot it grows into a full sized human. This young man in a strange hero suit taps into Ultron's computer system and hacks it with the help of a deep sexy older male voice guiding him over the radio. They overwrite all the security protocols and save the world. After the credits: "Scott Lang and Henry Pym will return next month in: ANT-MAN."

Qurupeke

Yes, but you can't simply destroy Ultron. :)
I guess so. But I prefer a vibranium Ultron. I really hated IM3 for the many suits that were destroyed. I prefer Ultron to have an army and a main unit that's way more powerful than every other Ultron. I guess they could have some "You destrpyed my body, not my AI" moments at the start of the movie, but I'd really not like them near the end of it.

DoubleTap

Funnily enough, this would make Ultron quite weak. Iron Man 3 destroyed so many armors effortlessly...

This is what turned me off from IM3 the most. Plus Tony not needing to be in the suit anymore really just brought home his disconnection from his suits. I get that they wanted it to be Stark-centric but it was overdone with those touches I just mentioned.

All the heroes will be trapped or overwhelmed by individual challenges Ultron created for them. All hope is lost. At the last moment, we see a tiny shadow moving around inside Ultron's liar, and once it has gotten into his blind spot it grows into a full sized human. This young man in a strange hero suit taps into Ultron's computer system and hacks it with the help of a deep sexy older male voice guiding him over the radio. They overwrite all the security protocols and save the world. After the credits: "Scott Lang and Henry Pym will return next month in: ANT-MAN."

I would love this more than words can describe.

TDLink

I thought there were rumors that Ultron would actually get the vibranium armor in the film, and that it comes from Wakanda?

Yes, that is a rumour. It has yet to be debunked. There was an interview with Chadwick Boseman a little while back where he just smiled when asked if he was playing Black Panther too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom