• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is a rumour. It has yet to be debunked. There was an interview with Chadwick Boseman a little while back where he just smiled when asked if he was playing Black Panther too.
You have no idea how much I want this to be true. He was awesome in 42 and I love the character.

J10

Banned
Yes, that is a rumour. It has yet to be debunked. There was an interview with Chadwick Boseman a little while back where he just smiled when asked if he was playing Black Panther too.

Katee Sackhoff gave that same smile when someone asked her about Captain Marvel recently. That's what passes for a poker face in Hollywood?

Jeez just call this movie the avengers already.

Hehehe...

I really am interested in the length of this film. Having a large amount of time may allow the film to balance out all the characters. I can see some characters only partially showing up in the film for plot devices and others being there for the majority of the time.

jmood88

Hehehe...

I really am interested in the length of this film. Having a large amount of time may allow the film to balance out all the characters. I can see some characters only partially showing up in the film for plot devices and others being there for the majority of the time.

If Watchmen can be 3 hours long, then this can, too.

I don't seriously expect it to be 3 hours but I really want it to be

I wonder (if it is true) that people will be complaining about it being racist how a black dude is playing black panther. Maybe in the movie they'll just cal him "panther" as a code name or whatever.

I think they're fine calling him black panther, as it's the actual name of an animal. I think maybe they could say his name in his native tongue, and he can explains that it means "black panther".

Isn't Black Panther an actual title in Wakanda, not just a superhero name?

The Black Panther is the spiritual and political leader of Wakanda, yes. T'Challa didn't come up with that name for his superhero persona, he inherited the title from his father T'Chaka who was Black Panther before him.

The name of the character also predates the Black Panther organization.

Tobor

This is what turned me off from IM3 the most. Plus Tony not needing to be in the suit anymore really just brought home his disconnection from his suits. I get that they wanted it to be Stark-centric but it was overdone with those touches I just mentioned.

This is why it's going to be Tony who creates Ultron. Picking up where Iron Man 3 left off, it makes perfect sense for him to be working on better AI.

Not being in the suit is going to backfire in a big way.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is why it's going to be Tony who creates Ultron. Picking up where Iron Man 3 left off, it makes perfect sense for him to be working on better AI.

Not being in the suit is going to backfire in a big way.

Nope, not Tony. If you've seen Captain America 2,
Arnim Zola's Project Insight AI algorithm is the perfect candidate for Ultron.

However I can see Ultron using one of Tony's Iron Man suits as a body, as well as corrupting JARVIS, becoming the Vision.

I know this was brought up earlier but I'm betting Witch and Vision take down Ultron and then a new Avengers team is formed without Stark (and maybe a couple of others who follow him).

You know, hearing how they planned Ant-Man way back during Iron Man 1 and how important Ant-Man is to phase 3 makes me wonder why they never mentioned Pym as (most likely) Tony's dad's friend or partner. I know it was probably because they never cast Pym so no pictures of him but no mention of the name once in Phase 1 or 2? Seems weird.

However I can see Ultron using one of Tony's Iron Man suits as a body, as well as corrupting JARVIS, becoming the Vision.

I honestly think Whedon would shy away from using anything referenced in the other movies. I think he's stated several times that he wants the Avengers movies to be as stand alone as possible. Big things, like SHIELD being gone, he'll probably use. Little things, like casual non-plot related references, sure. But making the major villain completely related to a plot point from another movie? I don't think so.

I really think that he'll make it something that an audience that only watched Avengers 1 would be able to understand.

Tobor

Nope. Not a chance. I'd bet the farm against that theory. It's going to be Tony.

I honestly think Whedon would shy away from using anything referenced in the other movies. I think he's stated several times that he wants the Avengers movies to be as stand alone as possible. Big things, like SHIELD being gone, he'll probably use. Little things, like casual non-plot related references, sure. But making the major villain completely related to a plot point from another movie? I don't think so.

I really think that he'll make it something that an audience that only watched Avengers 1 would be able to understand.

er, Loki is the villain in Avengers 1 and he's introduced in Thor.

Both debuted in the same year (1966,) but T'Challa apperaed in comics in July and the organization didn't form until October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(comics)

The Black Panther's name predates the October 1966 founding of the Black Panther Party, though not the black panther logo of the party's predecessor, the Lowndes County Freedom Organization, nor the segregated World War II Black Panthers Tank Battalion.[1][2] He is the first black superhero in mainstream comic books; virtually no black heroes were created before him, and none with actual superpowers. These included the characters in the single-issue, low-distribution All-Negro Comics #1 (1947); Waku, Prince of the Bantu, who starred in his own feature in the omnibus title Jungle Tales, from Marvel's 1950s predecessor, Atlas Comics; and the Dell Comics Western character Lobo, the first black person to star in his own comic book. Previous non-caricatured Black supporting characters in comics include U.S. Army infantry private Gabriel Jones of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos.

Adding Zola's algorithm is a totally different kettle of fish. People who didn't watch Cap 2 wouldn't immediately get the reference. With Loki, anyone knows the bare minimum of Norse mythology would immediately get that Loki is a bad guy and not to be trusted. You don't need to have watched Thor to get that. With the tesseract, it's a macguffin. They don't really need an explanation for it other than "really powerful alien artifact". It's a reused trope and doesn't require a movie to explain. You didn't need to watch Cap 1 to understand that.

Zola's algorithm requires two movies to explain. You need to know who Zola is from Cap 1 and you need to know about Project Insight from Cap 2. These aren't things the average viewer would get right away, and explaining them again in the movie would likely frustrate the fans who already knew what the deal is.

I think it's going to be completely separate, maybe with a few references that don't really affect the plot. I could see someone saying they modeled something after Zola's algorithm as a throwaway technobabble line, the same way they referenced Erskine's original formula in Avengers 1. Some way that doesn't require an explanation of who he is or why we care.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One of the interesting things about Ultron is that he was created by good people trying to do good things.

Having him be the product of Hydra is a terrible idea and makes him far less interesting.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The Black Panther is the spiritual and political leader of Wakanda, yes. T'Challa didn't come up with that name for his superhero persona, he inherited the title from his father T'Chaka who was Black Panther before him.

yeah but he was basically..the black panther party, wakanda the ghettos being terrorized by police oppression. predates the official but those dudes were out there doing their thing before the comic and definitely made themselves known.

Zola's algorithm requires two movies to explain. You need to know who Zola is from Cap 1 and you need to know about Project Insight from Cap 2. These aren't things the average viewer would get right away, and explaining them again in the movie would likely frustrate the fans who already knew what the deal is.

All you really need is Cap an Black Widow to brief the other Avengers on it in two or three lines of dialogue.

One of the interesting things about Ultron is that he was created by good people trying to do good things.

Having him be the product of Hydra is a terrible idea and makes him far less interesting.

And given Ruffalo's been said to have a bigger part in this movie, I'm pretty sure Banner's going to have something to do with it. I mean, he also has a record of trying to create one thing and ending up building something waaaay more powerful and also destructive. Building Ultron fits with his MO.

If Tony built Ultron, the thing would actually work as intended.

FeD.nL

It still surprises me when I watch the Ultron anouncement. Has there ever been an interview with Feige or someone else where they state Ultron before Thanos was always the plan? With GotG before Ultron amd Ant Man after it just seems so out of the blue. Not that I mind it but since Marvel planned the avengers so great during phase one it just still seems like a left field anouncement.

It still surprises me when I watch the Ultron anouncement. Has there ever been an interview with Feige or someone else where they state Ultron before Thanos was always the plan? With GotG before Ultron amd Ant Man after it just seems so out of the blue. Not that I mind it but since Marvel planned the avengers so great during phase one it just still seems like a left field anouncement.

People asked about Thanos after the Age of Ultron announcement and Feige mostly indicated that the plan was to have Thanos show up as the background threat to reveal himself to the Avengers later on - I think he said something like "you don't go straight into Thanos, he's too big of a deal."

Here's a quote from after Avengers came out and people were talking about the Thanos reveal itself:

"I wouldn't say we ever feel the need to rush anything one way or the other. We succeeded in Phase One because we stuck to our guns and stuck to the plan. That plan took place over many, many years and it ultimately paid off. I see Phase Two unfolding in the same way of us taking our time, us doing what's right for each individual movie, while folding in elements that will not only build up to the culmination of Phase Two, but even Phase Three."

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'm not really bothered one way or the other, of course, it would be the logical assumption that Tony Stark would be the one who creates a robot that eventually is corrupted with an evil AI or whatever, he also knows (some?) SHIELD secrets when he looked through their database in Avengers 1.

Maybe it's both Banner and Stark? They obviously go off together at the end of Avengers, IM3 sees them together, maybe they're buddying up and they put their minds together to try and create something that would defend the world when the Avengers are busy/dead/whatever. Some shit happens, there's conflict between Tony and Banner which leads into the Hulkbuster and Hulk fight?

Blader

I can't imagine they were ever going to go straight to Thanos for the sequel. Why play your biggest card that early?

Maybe it's both Banner and Stark? They obviously go off together at the end of Avengers, IM3 sees them together, maybe they're buddying up and they put their minds together to try and create something that would defend the world when the Avengers are busy/dead/whatever. Some shit happens, there's conflict between Tony and Banner which leads into the Hulkbuster and Hulk fight?

Yeah I don't think it's just a coincidence that they sent Tony and Banner off together at the end of the movie. That talk they had on the helicarrier probably has some hints that we won't see coming until Avengers 2. They also made a point to show that they were still hanging out in Iron Man 3. There's gotta be some thing big they were working on.

TDLink

So, are europeans going to have to suffer through this being called avengers assemble: age of ultron.

Probably not. The problem with the first one was that it was just called "The Avengers", same as the british TV series. This one doesn't have "The" in the title. Just "Avengers: Age of Ultron," so it's probably ok.

Astorgh

Maybe, just maybe:

Banner and Stark start all this A.I thing but then Tony realizes it's going too far but Bruce wants to keep going and then the Hulkbuster fight takes place. After everything is over Bruce gets kicked off the Avengers and he gets tricked into thinking that he's going in a space mission and then BOOM, Planet Hulk.

One can dream.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not. The problem with the first one was that it was just called "The Avengers", same as the british TV series. This one doesn't have "The" in the title. Just "Avengers: Age of Ultron," so it's probably ok.

I could be wrong but I think that was a UK only thing and wasn't the title for continental Europe.

I could see Ultron being a Stark or Banner project, and the Zola program corrupts it. That would create a tie-in for Strucker while keeping the idea of Ultron being built for good but turning evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom