• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon they will injure (not kill) one of them to make Ultron a credible threat to the Avengers and of course to free up space in the script/screen time for the new additions like Scarlett Witch.

Hawkeye looks so damn out of place in this whole Avengers thing.

Hulk - Super Strength, Mutant

Captain America - Super Strenth, Human wise

Thor - Prince of Asgard, super strength - God

Iron Man - Brilliant billionaire with war suit

Hawkeye - ... ummm ... extremely accurate with a bow

Blader

Yeah, I'd guess they'll put a teaser on Guardians of the Galaxy. Cap 1's post-credits scene was an Avengers teaser, after all.

duckroll

Really? I mean Marvel even explained how they knew people were expecting something from Guardians last year and so they had footage prepped specifically for Comic Con despite only a few weeks of being shot. Avengers on the other hand will have been shooting for way longer by the time SDCC comes around. I'm very well expecting the same for this year, and then a refined version of that trailer coming with Guardians in August.

I think there'll be something at SDCC, but I don't think it will be very complete and I don't think it'll be released to the public. If Disney can get the room locked down, it won't leak either. SDCC is at the end of July right? I don't think there'll be much time to refine it for Guardians. There will definitely be a teaser of some sort in Guardians but I expect it to be more of a credits stinger than an actual trailer for Avengers.

Maybe they'll release the trailer officially before December if they can get effects finished up to a satisfactory level, but I don't think they'll be in any rush either. It's a huge franchise as it is, fans are going to watch it anyway, and they don't want shoddy looking stuff released which could hurt PR.

Edit: If I had to guess, I would say this is actually the most likely place for the release of the first full trailer of Avengers 2:

DOpJX3c.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hawkeye looks so damn out of place in this whole Avengers thing.

Hulk - Super Strength, Mutant

Captain America - Super Strenth, Human wise

Thor - Prince of Asgard, super strength - God

Iron Man - Brilliant billionaire with war suit

Hawkeye - ... ummm ... extremely accurate with a bow

So Black Window should be thrown out the team, too? She has no powers, either.

I really cant understand the problem so many people have with Hawkeye.

Sorian

Banned

He's lame and not just because he doesn't have powers because I'm a-ok with Black Widow and always have been. I don't know what it is about his MCU showing but I find him to be a such a bore.

The teaser being in Cap probably means there won't be one in Guardians.

Of course Guardians will have an Avengers 2 teaser of some sort. How could it not?

JdFoX187

Banned
He's lame and not just because he doesn't have powers because I'm a-ok with Black Widow and always have been. I don't know what it is about his MCU showing but I find him to be a such a bore.

Well, he spent 2/3 of the movie hypnotized by Loki and his staff. That's not exactly a great way to showcase his abilities.

inky

It's Renner most likely. I hate his face ;P

If you think in terms of what he did (almost bringing down the Helicarrier with just 2 arrows) he can sound pretty badass, but it is understandable that he seems to be bottom tier compared to the rest. I just think they need to have him do more creative things with his arrows.

Of course Guardians will have an Avengers 2 teaser of some sort. How could it not?

He's had like no material compared to all of Widow's appearances since IM2. It's not even at the point where I can inform a real opinion on him in the MCU yet. He was fine in the Battle of NY though.

.GqueB.

Banned
It's because he has zero personality and screen presence. Really weird casting there.

So Black Window should be thrown out the team, too? She has no powers, either.

I dont have a " problem " with Hawkeye

Or with Black Widow

just saying they are incredibly out of place among the Avengers.

They seem so fragile and frail and their abilities seem too limited and " human " compared to all the various superpowers of the Avengers .. outside of Captain America pretty much.

Felt that way throughout the Avengers movie. Here is Thor shooting lighting and blasting hundreds of enemies at a time. Here is Iron Man flying through the air and blasting enemies left and right. Here is the Hulk kicking the shit out of everything. Here is Captain America able to deflect anything and knock an enemy 50 yards.

Then there is Hawkeye ... firing his bow. Oooo he is not looking! check that out!

Black Widow is tolerated more because it is Scarlett Johansen. Pretty women = men will deal with it. Dude shooting bow in the middle of an alien war = kind of absurd ( on top of a building no less .. not moving ... ).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I just wish Movie Hawkeye was good as Fraction Hawkguy.

Nah, they will save that for the final desperate battle between the Avengers and Thanos in A3. And it will be a momentous moment I'm sure, can't fucking wait to see them do that in live film.

Can't wait for that, the Thor x Iron Man Power Up Double Combo & the Hawkguy x Ant-Man Arrow of Doom.

kirblar

Humans exist elsewhere in the universe in the comics, I believe - was under the impression that Starlord's dad was human, just not one from earth. (As opposed to someone like Abigail Brand, who's a hybrid.)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I thought it was stated that it was in the far future already.
Either way it seems like the plot demands that it be set in the future ... right? I mean, Starlord is half Alien and Aliens are not a common thing in this sitting. As we see in AoS the Asgardians have been keeping an eye on earths traffic and haven't noticed any large scale shit or even a hint of it for the most part. Seems like Aliens are a brand new thing.

Plus Starlord was an Earth pilot ... and they haven't given us much reason to think that people in their world have actually explored more space than we have.

Guardians of the Galaxy takes place in the same timeline as the rest of the MCU. It is not set in the future.

Sorian

Banned
If the Avengers was only fight scenes, then you could complain about Hawkeye's power level.

You're right Hawkeye does so much better in those emotional scenes or when intellect is most needed or when the group needs to assemble or......

Well at least he can shot anything out of the air, whether that be an alien or a helicarrier.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I thought it was stated that it was in the far future already.
Either way it seems like the plot demands that it be set in the future ... right? I mean, Starlord is half Alien and Aliens are not a common thing in this sitting. As we see in AoS the Asgardians have been keeping an eye on earths traffic and haven't noticed any large scale shit or even a hint of it for the most part. Seems like Aliens are a brand new thing.

Plus Starlord was an Earth pilot ... and they haven't given us much reason to think that people in their world have actually explored more space than we have.

Or it could be an old relic he found.

What's... stop this, all of you.

Guardians of the Galaxy takes place concurrently with the rest of the MCU movies. This is not a secret, and it is not a mystery that has been set before us to solve.

Trying to argue that GotG is set in the distant future is like trying to argue that Star Wars takes place in 1980's London. It just isn't. It just doesn't.

The bad guy in GotG is featured in Thor 2, right before he becomes the bad guy.

.GqueB.

Banned

Guardians of the Galaxy takes place concurrently with the rest of the MCU movies. This is not a secret, and it is not a mystery that has been set before us to solve.

Trying to argue that GotG is set in the distant future is like trying to argue that Star Wars takes place in 1980's London. It just isn't. It just doesn't.

Yea but... What if...

While I agree with you, that last point isn't a really good argument, seeing as The Collector is basically immortal.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I really wish people would shut up about Jenson Ackles every time Hawkeye is mentioned. Who the fuck is Jenson Ackles anyway?

inky

I really wish Jensen Ackles had gotten the part for Hawkeye, he would have made a much better one IMHO.

Yup, it's been mentioned before and I wholeheartedly agree. Even then, I think they can do more with the character and I hope they do.

I imagine they thought Hawkeye should be this black ops guy who can still be likeable, and Renner was basically "generic action leading dude" for a while, so it was a fit, but he doesn't bring anything to the table imo. I'm sure he can act and can pull certain things off (like the Hawkguy persona which pretty much everyone wants to see) but I just don't like him very much and I can't reconcile him in the role even if he did pull it off.

Correct use of the word 'dude' as opposed to actor.

Renner does a good job with what little he has to work with. I mean he spent half of the Avengers as a mind controlled baddie for goodness sake. He got the shaft and hasn't had any opportunity to improve on that since - he really should have been in Cap 2.

Those damn gutter dwelling TV upstarts thinking they're on a equal level to high brow entertainment like the Avengers.

inky

Renner does a good job with what little he has to work with. I mean he spent half of the Avengers as a mind controlled baddie for goodness sake.

Meh. People always bring this up, and I say, so what? Is that supposed to be an excuse? Own the role of bad guy then if he's half the actor you are painting him to be. I never felt he did.

I think the whole argument is that he didn't exactly "do good with had to work with", that's the whole point. It isn't as simple as that, but at least I hope he is better in A2.

Blader

Yup, it's been mentioned before and I wholeheartedly agree. Even then, I think they can do more with the character and I hope they do.

I imagine they thought Hawkeye should be this black ops guy who can still be likeable, and Renner was basically "generic action leading dude" for a while, so it was a fit, but he doesn't bring anything to the table imo. I'm sure he can act and can pull certain things off (like the Hawkguy persona which pretty much everyone wants to see) but I just don't like him very much and I can't reconcile him in the role even if he did pull it off.

All these other action roles came after the Avengers. Renner was chosen for the part because he's a good actor. He was in talks for it as early as 2009.

Jensen Ackles is a fun, charismatic guy but he's a TV actor. Same reason why Stephen Amell, despite doing a good job on Arrow, is not going to be in a Justice League movie ever.

inky

All these other action roles came after the Avengers. Renner was chosen for the part because he's a good actor. He was in talks for it as early as 2009.

Jensen Ackles is a fun, charismatic guy but he's a TV actor. Same reason why Stephen Amell, despite doing a good job on Arrow, is not going to be in a Justice League movie ever.

28 Weeks Later was before that, tho I grant you I didn't know he had been considered for that long and obviously I saw him in several other movies before that. And I'm not really debating he is a better actor than Ackles. He probably is, but he didn't show it even if he had little to go on, which I don't really think he had. He had plenty of screentime and at least 2 states of mind to show some range.

I just think, in the end, that Hawkeye is not that complex of a character, but he definitely has something that Renner couldn't bring to the role that maybe others could. Cobbie is a TV actress too, and I thought she was perfectly fine being Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom