• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

markatisu

Ironman is a series they have struggled to make the villains compelling for. That's kind of the MCU curse. Any villains people know they have already used and in most cases poorly (Red Skull stands out the most) and most of the characters they are working with have an underwhelming rogues gallery.

But you hit the nail on the head, Iron Man's villains being mostly lame has nothing to do with the MCU and everything to do with the fact most of Iron Man's rouges gallery is in fact lame.

Sadly the best villains are tied up in non MCU franchises like FF4, X-Men and Spiderman

sol_bad

It's certainly more convoluted. No other movie decided that it's second act needed to feature a huge block where it's hero was completely removed from the rest of the characters to pursue two plot-strings that go nowhere and have nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

Please explain what these two plot points are that go no where.

Renekton

The Marvel universe is so borked for maintaining logical balance or canon consistency, though. I don't even expect it from them on the page.

In the MCU, they've done a tremendous job at maintaining a balance that makes it's characters and villains look appropriately scaled. Seeing the armor that fought an alien army easily demolished 100 times in 5 minutes makes him look insignificant as a hero, and for who? A villain nobody liked?
So your beef is an enhanced human should never be stronger than Mark 7?

Dash27

But you hit the nail on the head, Iron Man's villains being mostly lame has nothing to do with the MCU and everything to do with the fact most of Iron Man's rouges gallery is in fact lame.

Sadly the best villains are tied up in non MCU franchises like FF4, X-Men and Spiderman

The Mandarin was one of Iron Man's iconic villains, and granted that's not saying a whole lot. But they made him first into some random terrorist and then ... oh actually I'm just an actor. ???

So it seems like they really wasted that IP.

Hagi

The Marvel universe is so borked for maintaining logical balance or canon consistency, though. I don't even expect it from them on the page.

In the MCU, they've done a tremendous job at maintaining a balance that makes it's characters and villains look appropriately scaled. Seeing the armor that fought an alien army easily demolished 100 times in 5 minutes makes him look insignificant as a hero, and for who? A villain nobody liked?

You say alien army like it means something. They were no different than any other generic set of mooks just with a different skin and terrible driving skills.

Has there been any shots of Vision yet outside of his back on the poster? Looking forward to see if they are doing facial cap on Bettany or a full costume.

The Mandarin was one of Iron Man's iconic villains, and granted that's not saying a whole lot. But they made him first into some random terrorist and then ... oh actually I'm just an actor. ???

So it seems like they really wasted that IP.

I believe the 'All Hail the King' short retconned that whole situation.

Real Hero

Iron man 3's twist was fantastic. Kingsley after the reveal is absolutely one of the most enjoyable things in any of the marvel films.

Real Hero

The one shot was super fun anyway I don't feel like it negated Iron Man 3 or anything. But I hope they don't actually use the mandarin as a villain.

Blader

The one shot was super fun anyway I don't feel like it negated Iron Man 3 or anything. But I hope they don't actually use the mandarin as a villain.

I liked it too (probably the only one-shot I've actually enjoyed), but I have to wonder what/when exactly they're seeding it for? It's gonna be a long while until the next Iron Man movie, seems kind of early to (re)set-up the Mandarin now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I liked it too (probably the only one-shot I've actually enjoyed), but I have to wonder what/when exactly they're seeding it for? It's gonna be a long while until the next Iron Man movie, seems kind of early to (re)set-up the Mandarin now.

Iron Man 4 maybe? There was a well recived Storyline by Matt Fraction, where the Daughters of Justin Hammer worked together with the Mandarin... I feel that we will somet kind of adaption of this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I did love the Kingsly twist and like Hail to the King even more.

Agreed the problem was what happened after the twist. I wish rather than trying to turn Killian into a quickly thrown together supervillian, AIM would have been revealed as a vast worldwide organization truer to the comics, leaving Tony with the knowledge that he has essentially an evil mirror of his own operation gunning for him from now on.

I still hope AIM comes back and is revealed to have kept operating after Killian died.

Jonogunn

Tony's entire character arc throughout all the Marvel movies is about him being a better man, and becoming the hero. That's pretty much the whole point of taking away his tech for most of Iron Man 3, along with basing the plot around mistakes he made in the past. It's the culmination of all the stuff like 'never making the hero play' in Avengers, or having to face the responsibility of what he's started with his creation in IM2. The suit is a cool piece of tech, but Tony Stark himself is the superhero Iron Man.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, it's my favourite MCU movie (though I haven't seen Guardians yet).

I hope he doesn't act like that in avengers 2 and onward.

Iron Man 4 maybe? There was a well recived Storyline by Matt Fraction, where the Daughters of Justin Hammer worked together with the Mandarin... I feel that we will somet kind of adaption of this.

Give me Sam Rockwell (justin Hammer) turning into Red Hulk vs Iron man and I'd watch no matter how terrible it would be.

It really is.

I still need DareDevil, Elektra, the original Ghost Rider, the Punisher movies, the Blade films, the Fantastic Four duo, Watchmen, Batman Begins and such. Is Kick-Ass regarded as a comic superhero movie?
I considered it to be, at some point it sort of branched-out into adaptations like Dredd, Hellboy and even Persepolis and A History of Violence.

I hope he doesn't act like that in avengers 2 and onward.

Considering he's rumored to (potential spoilers for AoU)
build Ultron
I think they're going to go the route of Tony going completely overboard with his new motivation to be a hero, causing more problems for everybody.

Ovid

Iron man 3's twist was fantastic. Kingsley after the reveal is absolutely one of the most enjoyable things in any of the marvel films.
I never had a problem with it. I thought it was funny.

It would've been cool if Kingsley was the REAL Mandarin though. He played the part really well.

You say alien army like it means something. They were no different than any other generic set of mooks just with a different skin and terrible driving skills.

Has there been any shots of Vision yet outside of his back on the poster? Looking forward to see if they are doing facial cap on Bettany or a full costume.
It's a facial cap.

What do you mean by full costume?

Sheroking

Please explain what these two plot points are that go no where.

His PTSD, the kid.

And yes, I get that there's some misguided sense of character development in both, but since neither were meaningfully resolved, it came off as entirely pointless.

So your beef is an enhanced human should never be stronger than Mark 7?

No, I think no mook should be able to tear through a hundred of them when Ultron and Thanos are likely to be challenged by him.

And you can say "old models" or "Tony was tired and the workmanship was shoddy", but neither statement are supported by the movie at all. It's fanwanking.

J10

Banned
Also, don't stage a fight on top of a vault full of armors and not have the dude think to open the vault.

A lot of bad writing in that movie.

Raptor

IM3 for a comedy movie that could be a Hot Shots sequel was great..... but how should I put it, for a movie that is part of a big universe with Gods and shit is straight up embarrassing and ruined the character full stop.

jackdoe

Also, don't stage a fight on top of a vault full of armors and not have the dude think to open the vault.

A lot of bad writing in that movie.
Well, you can argue that got caught unawares. But then you realize that he has a whole freaking armory under his house that is equivalent to a small army so he should have a pretty good early warning system to protect that.

His PTSD, the kid.

And yes, I get that there's some misguided sense of character development in both, but since neither were meaningfully resolved, it came off as entirely pointless.

No, I think no mook should be able to tear through a hundred of them when Ultron and Thanos are likely to be challenged by him.

And you can say "old models" or "Tony was tired and the workmanship was shoddy", but neither statement are supported by the movie at all. It's fanwanking.

It wasn't just one Mook

Well, you can argue that got caught unawares. But then you realize that he has a whole freaking armory under his house that is equivalent to a small army so he should have a pretty good early warning system to protect that.

Yup, why not have one of them patrolling the airspace outside.

See I can find fault with Marvel Movies.

Hagi

It's a facial cap.

What do you mean by full costume?

Probably means a real practical costume, not CG or anything.

Yeah I was just wondering if they were going the hulk route or a practical costume.

He's arrogant to a fault. It's a pretty big part of his character. I mean he probably didn't think anyone would be stupid to attack Iron Man straight on, it didn't exactly work for the last guy.

Weren't the armors in IM3 just shit because he build so many of them over a short amount of time?

This is pretty much how I took it. If Pepper had a decent grasp of how often he normally updated each Mark version than we see how he vastly outpaced what she expected (on Mark 42 and she guess somewhere around Mark 14).

Not to mention the complexity with each new prototype that came out, it was unsurprising that he was having issues with the Mark 42 with each part needed to have its own power component and mode of transport built into it. One or more piece out of alignment and it throws the rest off.

Pachimari

Yes, they are. I don't get though why you would buy every superhero/comic book film out there, why not just stick to the good ones?

Graphic novels are comics.
Because I want to see all the super hero movies myself and see which of them I find good.

Btw I'm halfway through the first Iron Man movie and oh am I reminded how good it is. Next up will be a first view of The Incredible Hulk.

Jonogunn

What bugs me bout the iron man films is the villain is always a rival tech company or something along those lines.

I thought the inclusion of mandarin would finally change that but nope.

Because I want to see all the super hero movies myself and see which of them I find good.

It's just that there is a massive amount of them by now and a lot are bad or mediocre. You could rent or watch them on Netflix first and then just buy the ones you really liked, but fair enough. I guess you can always sell the ones you don't enjoy.

Pachimari

It's just that there is a massive amount of them by now and a lot are bad or mediocre. You could rent or watch them on Netflix first and then just buy the ones you really liked, but fair enough. I guess you can always sell the ones you don't enjoy.
No, I won't sell them. This is called collecting dude.

Renekton

His PTSD, the kid.

His PTSD is tied to his over-reliance on the suit especially after the traumatic bomb scene in Avengers. This is addressed when the kid asked him about mechanics fixing things, reminding him that his greatest weapon is his ingenuity. He eventually resolved his issues without being in the suit the whole time. It is great character growth and in line with the better reconstruct storylines in the comics.

That's your issue, not MCU's.

Extremis is badass, in both comics and movie.

Epcott

Oh Iron Man 3...

I hope the real Mandarin is the true villain in IM4, if Robert Downey does indeed come back for it. If he is, I also hope if he isn't one dimensional.

I think someone hit the nail on the head about the most disappointing aspect to the big bad's reveal in IM3 was that it was yet another corporate scum bag (aka the typical anglo pulling the strings of the generic terrorist), and the wasted potential of the Ten Rings easter egg in IM1.

The other part that bugged me is the convenient quick montage of closure at the end where everything is neatly wrapped up in a nice bow in a few minutes (from Pepper's miraculous cure to Tony finding a fix for the shrapnel, a big plot point since IM1). Not to say that I don't believe he deserves a happy ending (he does), but it felt rushed, lacked impact, and could have possibly contributed more to the story than focusing on a random small town boy keeping pet Tony hidden in his garage like so much E.T.

That said, I'm interested to see what brings Tony back into the danger zone or if he creates Ultron out of boredom since his life is so peachy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom