• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I'm currently on this quest, it's rather fun!

It really is.

I still need DareDevil, Elektra, the original Ghost Rider, the Punisher movies, the Blade films, the Fantastic Four duo, Watchmen, Batman Begins and such. Is Kick-Ass regarded as a comic superhero movie?

Dash27

Ok so I had it in my head that Ant Man was coming out before Avengers 2, to set the stage for Ultron. But... I guess I was wrong.

I'm not understanding how that will work but I'm trying to keep an open mind. Marvel must have really liked the pitch for Ant Man, going by the quotes in the OP it had some major impact on their movie schedule and content.

In other news, it makes me very happy to see GotG 2 on these release lists. I already look forward to it.

But I remember reading that the tesseract was always planned to be an infinity stone. That must mean they had the idea of Thanos before Thor and Cap: TFA were made.

I doubt they had Thanos in mind at that point. There wasn't much happening in Captain America that says: "wow! it works like the Space gem". It really doesn't. Only in Avengers do you see the tessaract being used for portals.

As far as Thanos goes, if the Scepter is not the mind gem, and there's a good chance it's not, then Thanos probably already has it.

IMO, if you wanted to capture all the infinity stones, and conceal your intentions, then Mind would be the first one to take, so that you can use it to convince others to do your bidding.

It's entirely possible, Thanos extracted some powers from the mind stone into the scepter to enable it control others.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm on the MCU kick too now. Thanks GotG! Only current MCU movies I haven't seen yet are Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I also never saw Incredible Hulk but that's an older one and it looked kinda bad.

I have all of the current MCU blu rays except for Iron Man 3.... I refuse to buy that abomination.
Yeah, I've been thinking about renting it but I've heard a lot of negativity around it. It also doesn't help I disliked Iron Man 2. I just wanna see it now because it's part of the MCU.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm on the MCU kick too now. Thanks GotG! Only current MCU movies I haven't seen yet are Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I also never saw Incredible Hulk but that's an older one and it looked kinda bad.

Yeah, I've been thinking about renting it but I've heard a lot of negativity around it. It also doesn't help I disliked Iron Man 2. I just wanna see it now because it's part of the MCU.

Don't listen to the haters. IM3 really is an interesting, entertaining film which a lot like an old school 80s-90s buddy cop action film (due to Shane Black's influence). Also, I have feeling that Tony's state of mind and evolution in IM3 will inform what will happen in Age of Ultron.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do we know if Alan Silvestri is composing again?

edit, nevermind, Brian Tyler. MEH. Movie might suck for me now, a good soundtrack brings it from enjoyable to amazing like Avengers 1 did.

Ovid

I think IM3 is okay. When I first saw it I loved it. But then after thinking about and discussing it with coworkers I came to conclusion that it wasn't good.

When it came on cable I decided to give it a rewatch and changed my mind again. It's alright.

I have every MCU film on Blu-ray and I wasn't going to get IM3 but I had to get it. Plus, the Disney discount really helped soften the blow. Yes, at Marvel you still have to pay for the movies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Don't listen to the haters. IM3 really is an interesting, entertaining film which a lot like an old school 80s-90s buddy cop action film (due to Shane Black's influence). Also, I have feeling that Tony's state of mind and evolution in IM3 will inform what will happen in Age of Ultron.
Considering IM3 is not available to rent online anywhere, guess I'll just wait that one out.

I felt Iron Man 3 was miles better than 2. Whether you love it or hate it though seems to be a product of how much you like the Mandarin, how much you want the movie to perfectly portray the arcs it's tied into, and how much you want to see Tony Stark in the Iron Man suit.

I thought it was fun. There was a tiny little character arc in there somewhere, some potential interesting developments for the future (especially the ending, which looks like it will tie into Age of Ultron pretty nicely).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
IM3 is brilliant, watch it.]
GoMqiDL.gif

To each their own, but I thought IM3 was an incredible let down in every respect.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
GoMqiDL.gif

To each their own, but I thought IM3 was an incredible let down in every respect.
Rather than posting the wrong gif, you could try to argue why it is a let down.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the avengers trailer will happen till mocking jay part 1

Pagusas

Elden Member

I felt iron man 2 was one of the worst movies I had ever seen, 3 is miles ahead of it in terms of quality. Still no where near as good as iron man 1 (well the first 3/4 of Iron Man, last 1/4 was terrible)

Then again I think avengers was an average, leaning toward bad film. I enjoyed Winter Soldier but do not feel its the grand film everyone else thought it was (still suffered from some bad scripting and forced action pieces, a common thing in all comic book films)

Blader

The first leaked Avengers teaser, with the crazy audience reaction, still gives me chills.

"Mr. Stark."
"Captain."
"Gentlemen...you're up."

sirap

IM3 is a great movie but it has different beats than other MCU movies.

Which is ironic considering IM1 launched the whole thing.

Feltrol

Banned
As a big fan of the Iron Man movies and the character, Iron Man 3 sucked! It was easily the worst Marvel Studios movie.

It's the best one for me because it focused more on Tony Stark, not Ironman. Tony Stark can be a badass too, building all kinds of weaponry with everyday stuff.

liquidtmd

Banned
Iron Man 3 is tricky. I can see how comic fans may be pissed but for me Kingsley was a riot and it works far better as a film than IM2. Iron Man 1 though still for me is the gold standard, a really interesting well built romp that probably is one of the best superhero origin movies ever made in terms of the cave.

The brassy 'Im Irom Man' public finale equally was a fantastically well received antidote for decades of sadsack superheros fighting and struggling to keep their identity secret.

Sheroking

Rather than posting the wrong gif, you could try to argue why it is a let down.

It's a goofy, convoluted mess that doesn't know what genre it wants to be. It features far too little Iron Man for a movie as long as it was and it had pointless subplots that went nowhere for no reason, like Tony's PTSD.

It's also the worst handling of a villain from the MCU and probably superhero movies in general since... I can't even think of a worse example in modern Marvel or DC movies. The whole climax diminishes the Iron Man armor.

Literally the only thing I like about the movie is the handling of Tony and Pepper. That those movies actually made me kind of pull for a relationship featuring Gwyneth Paltrow is a minor miracle.

Iron Man 2 was just "blah". Not a bad movie, exactly, just not what Iron Man was. Iron Man 3 actively annoys me. It's the only MCU movie I don't like.

Iron Man 3 was probably my least favorite MCU movie. I liked Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor 2, and Cap1--not to mention IM1 and 2--infinitely better. The problem I have with IM3 is that the movies are supposed to be focused on Iron Man, not random subplots involving Tony Stark and throwaway characters. None of the figures in that movie other than Stark, Pepper, and Rhodes) seem to matter. They don't really introduce anyone new and interesting, and half the characters are introduced just to kill them off. It was also missing a lot of the humor from the Favreau movies.

eastx

The movie is actually not unfaithful to comics.

Mallon in Extremis comic arc was extremely durable, strong and fast. He easily took out Iron Man and was able to withstand full unibeams.

I think he's talking about how forty Iron Man armors show up on the scene only to fly around and get exploded in a mess of hard-to-see visual effects. It's like a repeat of the crappy drone battle from Iron Man 2, but actually harder to see. And if that wasn't enough, Tony blows up the rest for very little logical reason.

Oh yeah, and he doesn't need to wear the armor anyway, which was a lame addition that makes the movie feel a lot less Iron Man-like. But they really wanted to have RDJ running around getting in fist fights, so of course he needs to control a bajillion suits telepathically instead of being Iron Man.

The PTSD thing was a nice source of comedy while also humanizing Tony a bit, so I didn't mind it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
that's maybe the only memorable son Tyler has composed
Catchy you mean, the guy has made some good memorable work like the examples below by DarthOrange.

IM3 is a great movie but it has different beats than other MCU movies.

Which is ironic considering IM1 launched the whole thing.
And good, if it followed the same beat as IM1 and 2 people would have complained more even.

Iron Man 3 is my favorite MCU movie. All the haters are crazy.

I thought he did a good job with Now You See Me and Fast and Furious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4eH-aYiRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdFNLH-xQM
Brofist, and good choices!

As a big fan of the Iron Man movies and the character, Iron Man 3 sucked! It was easily the worst Marvel Studios movie.
I'm big fan of both too, but the only instance that'd be true is if IM3 is the only MCU movie ever made.

Not a big fan either, but you can't forget this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsoP86ceDg
Hah, had forgotten he did the Marvel Studios fanfare.

It's the best one for me because it focused more on Tony Stark, not Ironman. Tony Stark can be a badass too, building all kinds of weaponry with everyday stuff.
This, I also loved very much that sequence and was quite creative with how Tony actually fared without (most of) his armor.

Seems like the divide is comic fans and people who only watch the movies.
I'm a comic fan and loved the movie, what now?

It's a goofy, convoluted mess that doesn't know what genre it wants to be. It features far too little Iron Man for a movie as long as it was and it had pointless subplots that went nowhere for no reason, like Tony's PTSD.

It's also the worst handling of a villain from the MCU and probably superhero movies in general since... I can't even think of a worse example in modern Marvel or DC movies. The whole climax diminishes the Iron Man armor.

Literally the only thing I like about the movie is the handling of Tony and Pepper. That those movies actually made me kind of pull for a relationship featuring Gwyneth Paltrow is a minor miracle.

Iron Man 2 was just "blah". Not a bad movie, exactly, just not what Iron Man was. Iron Man 3 actively annoys me. It's the only MCU movie I don't like.
It's no more goofy or convoluted than other MCU movies, and it's genre is plenty clear (an action comedy), I guess you just never watched other Shane Black movies.
Worst handed in what way though? And the whole climax shows Tony's crappy workmanship when he builds a new suit every other day while being sleep deprived, hell the Mark 1 got more love during its construction than any of the new ones in IM3.
That I agree, Tony and Pepper as a couple were great in the movie.
IM2 was very mediocre, the Suit-case was pretty cool and Sam Rockwell totally stole the movie though.

Iron Man 3 was probably my least favorite MCU movie. I liked Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor 2, and Cap1--not to mention IM1 and 2--infinitely better. The problem I have with IM3 is that the movies are supposed to be focused on Iron Man, not random subplots involving Tony Stark and throwaway characters. None of the figures in that movie other than Stark, Pepper, and Rhodes) seem to matter. They don't really introduce anyone new and interesting, and half the characters are introduced just to kill them off. It was also missing a lot of the humor from the Favreau movies.
How you can like TIH or IM2 better is strange, but the movie IS focused on Iron Man. It is NOT focused on action pieces featuring the armor(s), in which case your issue with the movie is a totally different one (let's not forget that Tony IS Iron Man). Also, poor Happy, thoroughly ignored, or the kid that actually helps Tony for that matter.
Oh, and there is humor, and certainly better than the one in either 1 or 2.

Eh, I'd say it's more a divide between people who want some sort of coherent plot to enjoy a movie and those who are able to look past that.
Or more like people who can actually follow a plot and those who can't.

I think he's talking about how forty Iron Man armors show up on the scene only to fly around and get exploded in a mess of hard-to-see visual effects. It's like a repeat of the crappy drone battle from Iron Man 2, but actually harder to see. And if that wasn't enough, Tony blows up the rest for very little logical reason.

Oh yeah, and he doesn't need to wear the armor anyway, which was a lame addition that makes the movie feel a lot less Iron Man-like. But they really wanted to have RDJ running around getting in fist fights, so of course he needs to control a bajillion suits telepathically instead of being Iron Man.

The PTSD thing was a nice source of comedy while also humanizing Tony a bit, so I didn't mind it.
Eh, not a repeat, and he has a good reason to blow them up: those suits suck and he had got his mojo back.
Having him using his wits without the suit was great and of course he needs it for some things, that part he didn't because he was sneaky. Also he doesn't control the suits telepathically, JARVIS does, which is clearly something important for the immediate future. And he's Iron Man, says so at the end of the movie even!

Renekton

Seems pretty simple to me. Iron man army summoned to deal with Extremis soldiers. The reason they get exploded is the soldiers could take them out easily.

Tony blowing up the rest is also easily understandable. He wants to make it up to Pepper, and also re-affirm his new state where he is no longer dependent on and defined by the armor.

Ein Bear

Tony's entire character arc throughout all the Marvel movies is about him being a better man, and becoming the hero. That's pretty much the whole point of taking away his tech for most of Iron Man 3, along with basing the plot around mistakes he made in the past. It's the culmination of all the stuff like 'never making the hero play' in Avengers, or having to face the responsibility of what he's started with his creation in IM2. The suit is a cool piece of tech, but Tony Stark himself is the superhero Iron Man.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, it's my favourite MCU movie (though I haven't seen Guardians yet).

Sheroking

It's no more goofy or convoluted than other MCU movies,
and it's genre is plenty clear (an action comedy), I guess you just never watched other Shane Black movies.

It's certainly more convoluted. No other movie decided that it's second act needed to feature a huge block where it's hero was completely removed from the rest of the characters to pursue two plot-strings that go nowhere and have nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

I've seen other Shane Black movies. Who the fuck hasn't seen Lethal Weapon? All of them follow the same pattern. Some really silly, over the top shit one scene, SERIOUSMENTALANGST~ the next. It doesn't flow for me, it never has. If I compare him to, say, Whedon, who jokes around constantly but knows how to flow his narrative from one beat to the next so I don't feel like I'm watching a straight up comedy, I feel like I'm watching funny characters.

Seems pretty simple to me. Iron man army summoned to deal with Extremis soldiers. The reason they get exploded is the soldiers could take them out easily.

Okay, so I'm supposed to take the armor seriously in future films, why? A walking hair-gel commrcial with a virus can rip through a dozen with ease, but Ultron struggles with it?

Sheroking

You can read the Extremis series. The drug is no joke.

The Marvel universe is so borked for maintaining logical balance or canon consistency, though. I don't even expect it from them on the page.

In the MCU, they've done a tremendous job at maintaining a balance that makes it's characters and villains look appropriately scaled. Seeing the armor that fought an alien army easily demolished 100 times in 5 minutes makes him look insignificant as a hero, and for who? A villain nobody liked?

Ironman is a series they have struggled to make the villains compelling for. That's kind of the MCU curse. Any villains people know they have already used and in most cases poorly (Red Skull stands out the most) and most of the characters they are working with have an underwhelming rogues gallery.

i really liked it too, but i'm a big Shane Black fanboy so just the dialogue was really entertaining. And it's fun to see Iron Man without his armor for most of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom