• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that we don't fall into one particular black hole of comic storytelling with regards to how Stark gets back into the suit. Specifically,
please don't do something utterly stupid like have Ultron fling a crapload of shrapnel into Stark's body again so he needs the arc reactor in his body again thus he wears the suit for the big third act, the whole Return to Status Quo nonsense

GAMEPROFF

Banned
please don't do something utterly stupid like have Ultron fling a crapload of shrapnel into Stark's body again so he needs the arc reactor in his body again thus he wears the suit for the big third act, the whole Return to Status Quo nonsense

I actually really hope they do this... Even when this almost reconns like everything from IM 3...

I really hope that we don't fall into one particular black hole of comic storytelling with regards to how Stark gets back into the suit. Specifically,

I think he could just make a smaller arc reactor to power the suit and just install it straight in, since it wouldn't have to power himself anymore.

Avengers 2 will probably start out with him already back into the whole Iron Man thing because of Hydra popping up all over the place anyways.

Ein Bear

Tony doesn't stop being Iron Man at the end of 3 anyway. The last line of the movie explicitly has him say "I am Iron Man", he just blows up all the various weird armours he was busying himself with as a distraction for his PTSD. The implication is that he'll just go back to having the one suit, rather than obsessing over making thousands.

I don't think they would have to do that since
War Machine seems to do just fine being powered by an arc reactor built into the suit itself. There's no logical reason to plop an arc reactor back into Stark's chest except "desperation".

Van Owen

Banned
Tony doesn't stop being Iron Man at the end of 3 anyway. The last line of the movie explicitly has him say "I am Iron Man", he just blows up all the various weird armours he was busying himself with as a distraction for his PTSD. The implication in that he'll just go back to having the one suit, rather than obsessing over making thousands.

He removed his power supply doe.

No, I won't sell them. This is called collecting dude.

No, man, it's called hoarding. Look, it's none of my business what you do with your collection, so i apologize if i come on too strong, i was just curious. I myself am an avid collector and have amassed hundreds of CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays over the last 20 years, but i always tried to be selective about what i add to my collection, because there comes a point at which a collection becomes unwieldy and you will never find the time (or desire) to watch everything more than once.

I like a lot of genres, but i would never buy a (in my opinion) bad movie just because it belongs to that genre, what's the point of putting something you end up disliking on your shelf? It's a waste of shelf space, not to mention money. I like to think of my collection as an expression of my tastes in a way and i don't want to dillute it with a bunch of useless stuff i'll end up not caring for. It's not a set of rare trading cards and a collection of films on home media won't grow in worth over the years, quite the opposite in fact. Of course you can't always know in advance what you will like or not, but that's where making informed purchases, renting or watching on TV first comes in.

I'm not even saying you should just buy things that are critically acclaimed, and i freely admit not everything i own is gold, but have some kind of standards and don't just indiscriminately buy anything because it belongs to a genre you tend to enjoy.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
He removed his power supply doe.

Doesnt need one for his body anymore, just for the suit.
The Warmachine, Iron-Patriot suit isnt directly linked to Rhodey, it has its own power supply.

Heck most of the suits in IM3 had their own power supplies so all he needed/needs to do is jump in whatever version of the suit he is currently up to.

As i said, the suits can have their own arc reactors.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm not sure what you're talking about, clearly all those suits flying around at the end of Iron Man 3 were powered by people who Tony had fired shrapnel into and trapped inside of them.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just found this theory on reddit on how the twins get their powers. Loki's scepter is giving Quicksilver his powers, since it's powered by the Tesseract, which is the Space Gem. However for Scarlet Witch, it's theorized that SHIELD/Hydra got a hold of some essence of the Aether (Reality Gem) that may have been left over in London from Thor 2, which is how she is getting her reality warping powers.

Gun Animal

No surprise that the people saying Iron Man 3's plot was impossible to follow are the same ones who think the reactor in Tony's chest is what was powering the armors, or that Extremis shouldn't be able to tear through Tony's armor. Gonna address some points right quick:

Regarding the suit's power source: Every suit has a separate Arc Reactor on it's chest, coincidentally located above the reactor in Tony's chest which is only to power the elecro-magnet keeping him alive. Removing the arc reactor from his chest will not keep him from using the iron man suit.

Regarding the durability of the Iron Man Armor: Extremis users run hot enough to melt steel, and apparently several magnitudes hotter. This in addition to super strength is why they're able to tear through Tony's armor in certain situations. Age of ultron spoilers:
In the MCU Tony creates Ultron, presumably as an AI controlled derivative of the Iron Man armor so that it can fight Earth's fights in his place. (also presumably, Tony is forced to don the armor again when Ultron goes bonkers.) For this reason, Ultron will essentially be physically an equal match for the Iron Man Suit... although Ultron's intellect and reflexes will most likely give him an advantage over Iron Man

And for those of you worrying that it will seem weird when Iron Man goes toe-to-toe with Thanos, don't worry! Iron Man is less than a speck of dust compared to Thanos. MAJOR Comics spoilers and quite possibly future movie spoilers:
With the infinity gauntlet, Thanos was able to kill half of all life in the universe with a snap of his fingers (to impress his girlfriend (who is the grim reaper)) and then gave the heroes left alive a fighting chance against him for sport. They all died anyways, then he went on to kill the abstract concepts that hold the universe together (order, chaos, eternity) and then became the universe, leaving his corporeal body behind. Then someone took the gauntlet off his dumb corpse and undid everything just as easily. Then he started a farm.
So nah, don't even worry about Iron Man fighting Thanos.

Regarding PTSD and LITTLE KID sidestories: Tony overcomes some of his anxiety over the suit by learning to survive without it. Woah. The kid mostly existed so that Tony would have someone to talk to while he was investigating the Mandarin bombings.

zerosum

I'm not sure what you're talking about, clearly all those suits flying around at the end of Iron Man 3 were powered by people who Tony had fired shrapnel into and trapped inside of them.

That's hilarious. While I still enjoyed Iron Man 3, if this had really been the case, it would probably be in my top ten of all time.

AMUSIX

Regarding the suit's power source: Every suit has a separate Arc Reactor on it's chest, coincidentally located above the reactor in Tony's chest which is only to power the elecro-magnet keeping him alive. Removing the arc reactor from his chest will not keep him from using the iron man suit.
Actually, this is sort of true. That is, it's true when the writers need it to be. In IM1, the arc reactor in Tony's chest was the one powering the suit (this was a very key element to the final battle. They never explicitly said the design was changed, and in IM2, Tony's chest reactor was still powering the suit (connecting the use of the suit and the growing disease, and the upgrade to his chest reactor with the upgrade to the suits power). However, Rhodey was still able to take the Mark II, which was, somehow, powered by its own reactor.

In IM3, the suits all seemed to have their own reactor.

Actually, this is sort of true. That is, it's true when the writers need it to be. In IM1, the arc reactor in Tony's chest was the one powering the suit (this was a very key element to the final battle. They never explicitly said the design was changed, and in IM2, Tony's chest reactor was still powering the suit (connecting the use of the suit and the growing disease, and the upgrade to his chest reactor with the upgrade to the suits power). However, Rhodey was still able to take the Mark II, which was, somehow, powered by its own reactor.

In IM3, the suits all seemed to have their own reactor.

I kinda took the whole "Stane stealing Tony's reactor" as more evidence that Stane was an idiot than anything. I mean, Tony already had multiple arc reactors, so Stane stealing the one out of Tony's chest was more a product of ignorance and opportunity than actual necessity. He didn't even look for a suit first, so it's very possible that the suits already had an independent power source.

thenexus6

My friend sent me this earlier this week, him and someone at the wrap party!

UAkbFxk.jpg

Sheroking

Regarding the durability of the Iron Man Armor: Extremis users run hot enough to melt steel, and apparently several magnitudes hotter.

Just because it's not inexplicable does not make it a good idea.

It made his whole creation, the one thing you needed to keep formidable, look like a joke. It's hard to take him seriously against more powerful villains.

Renekton

I kinda took the whole "Stane stealing Tony's reactor" as more evidence that Stane was an idiot than anything. I mean, Tony already had multiple arc reactors, so Stane stealing the one out of Tony's chest was more a product of ignorance and opportunity than actual necessity. He didn't even look for a suit first, so it's very possible that the suits already had an independent power source.
I think he didn't know Tony was using a new reactor, and he was refused entry to the home lab at first.

Also maybe letting Tony die from shrapnel death is a more convenient murder, he had always wanted him dead.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I just found this theory on reddit on how the twins get their powers. Loki's scepter is giving Quicksilver his powers, since it's powered by the Tesseract, which is the Space Gem. However for Scarlet Witch, it's theorized that SHIELD/Hydra got a hold of some essence of the Aether (Reality Gem) that may have been left over in London from Thor 2, which is how she is getting her reality warping powers.

I'm going with Occam's Razor and say they're infused with magic. Hydra dealt with the occult and super-natural back in the 1940s, it's not unnatural to assume they still do, part of Asgard operates on magic, and we have Dr Strange confirmed, who is a master of magic. I think we can safely say that Marvel is slowly expanding the universe;
- we started out grounded with Iron Man, who's only supernatural ability is his charm and ability to construct an exoskeleton and arc-reactor while injured and in a cave
- Thor introduced us to the idea that there are multiple realms and/or dimensions out there and the cosmic element of the MCU, post-credits it showed us the existence of the tesseract, a great power source
- Capt. America taught us that the government was experimenting with super-soldiers and Hydra was on to the tesseract well back in the 1940s
- The Avengers was a culmination of all those events, leading to the Battle of New York over the Tesseract. It introduced us to the idea that not all alien beings are friendly towards Earth's population and post-credits it showed us that there was one alien in particular driving towards conquering Earth.

The MCU-movies since Avengers have been their own stories, mostly, Winter Soldier, which lead to the decimation of the SHIELD and HYDRA organisations, and possibly to the successor of Steve Rogers as Cpt America. For now, it's hard to see what effect Dark World has had on the MCU, apart from storing the Aether with the Collector and (GOTG spoiler)
the effect of the destruction of his museum on the stored Aether
. Iron Man 3 introduced AIM, and the concept of self-sustained and AI suits, and of course Tony removing the arc-reactor from his chest. I wonder how that affects the storyline.

Avengers 2 won't be such a culmination of events like the first one, but more an event on it's own, where causes from earlier movies will have their consequences in Age of Ultron.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Think the MCU could ever get away with Fin Fang Foom? :p

Already in the MCU!

Fin-Fang-Foom-1.jpg

Fin Fang Foom (that’s his real name, I swear) is a supervillain who once fought Iron Man in the comics, and a really bizarre one at that. And he has his fans, I suppose. A dragon-like monster awakened by accident in China, Foom went on to terrorise humanity and make problems for our hero Tony Stark, mainly due to his colossal size. And for some reason there’s a billboard with his dirty great face on it within the frames of Iron Man 2.

Yep: you can see some pretty awesome concept art by artist Adi Granov depicting Foom during one of the scenes where Tony Stark zooms through a street in his Iron Man gear. Blink and you’ll certainly miss it. Why is this included, then? Apparently there were plans for Foom to make an appearance in Iron Man 2 at some stage in development, which were – as you’ll know – later scrapped.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

there were only 2 reactors in part 1, the one from his escape, and the one in tony's chest. They show a halfway complete Armor that becomes War Machine but I dont think it's powered on yet. The one from his escape was less powerful as well.

Is it worth seeing the Winter Soldier while waiting for this one? this one is connected to it?

I cant decide if I should give Winter Soldier a shot or try X-Men Days of Future past.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is it worth seeing the Winter Soldier while waiting for this one? this one is connected to it?

I cant decide if I should give Winter Soldier a shot or try X-Men Days of Future past.

You would do yourself a disservice by not watching both! Winter Soldier is more pertinent, of course.

Just saw Captain America WS for the first time and it's easily a tier above the original Captain America and Thor films. I'd go as far as to say I preferred Winter Soldier to The Avengers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Just saw Captain America WS for the first time and it's easily a tier above the original Captain America and Thor films. I'd go as far as to say I preferred Winter Soldier it to The Avengers.
Damn, I wanna see TWS now. Sucks with Amazon and their little bout with Disney.

Darkmakaimura

Cant you order it anywhere else?

Just watched my german Blu-Ray of Winter Soldier - Fantastic Movie, definitly the best directly after Avengers.
Yeah, just so used to Amazon plus I really just want to rent it online rather than buy it. I haven't seen it yet.

Darkmakaimura

There's some dispute going on between Amazon and Disney. If you notice, at least in the U.S., you cannot pre-order any of the movies on Blu-ray or DVD. You can pre-order the digital release, however, but the more recent and upcoming releases are not and will not be available to rent.

Here's a recent article on how Wal-Mart is benefiting as a result, for example: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...y-dvd-orders-jump-in-move-against-amazon.html

Gun Animal

Just because it's not inexplicable does not make it a good idea.

It made his whole creation, the one thing you needed to keep formidable, look like a joke. It's hard to take him seriously against more powerful villains.

You keep saying you can't take Iron Man seriously against "more powerful villains" as if you're expected to. Did you read my post? Ultron IS NOT more formidable than Extremis in terms of raw destructive power, (at least not on his own) however Extremis is flawed because of it's instability and Ultron is not only smarter and sometimes faster than any of the Avengers but his greatest strength (at least in the comics) is his adaptability and survivability. Finally, compared to Thanos, Iron Man is a joke. So is Thor and the Hulk and pretty much everyone except
Adam Warlock.
That's the whole point of Thanos. The only time Thanos loses is when he secretly/sub-consciously wants to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom