• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed | NVIDIA DLSS 3 & Ray Tracing Premiere

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there an Nvidia stream or something going on? So many RTX feature trailers dropping at the same time.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-27-screenshot.png

Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-29-screenshot.png

Them additional light bounces. The software raytracing of Lumen still looks good though.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Graphically this game has improved quite a bit. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint, the combat and voice acting of the previous trailers were pretty terrible.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-27-screenshot.png

Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-29-screenshot.png

Them additional light bounces.
See, this is why more realistic/accurate=/=prettier. I kind of like the more moody and darker look of the non-RT scene. At the same time, I can recognize that the cave is way too dark for how much light is pouring into it.

Last edited:

Roberts

Looks miles better than Outer Worlds and as much as I adore Grounded visually (even if its cartoony), this is a big step forward. Can’t wait.

Mortisfacio

I'm happy this game was delayed. Trying to play Black Myth + WoW expansion starting in two days then a gauntlet of games until October/November, so I wasn't going to play it until 2025 probably anyways.

The caverns look a lot better with ray tracing. Really sets the ambience. Hopefully the game itself is good.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
See, this is why more realistic/accurate=/=prettier. I kind of like the more moody and darker look of the non-RT scene. At the same time, I can recognize that the cave is way too dark for how much light is pouring into it.

Both scenes are raytraced Gaiff. Lumen is raytracing. Just not per pixel raytracing.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Some parts look ok with RTX On, other parts do not look good with RTX On. Also, the enviroment is really generic looking.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
lol, wtf? Am I missing something? It looks like a PS4 game in 4k.
Obsidian is a small developer and they always make multiple projects. This is pretty good for them. Really good.
Avowed managed to look more current gen than FFXVI did with x10 the budget 🤭
In terms of environments, that is definitely true. XVI has great art design but a lot of flat areas that look like they're from an MMO.

We'll have to wait and see for the final opinions. Some of those desert areas in Avowed also look flat at times, but better than XVI's environmental geometry. Unreal 5 is definitely helping them out.

Last edited:

Bojji

Lumen's big flaw is it isn't accurate enough to cover small foliage:

Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-17-screenshot.png

Avowed-NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Ray-Tracing-Premiere-0-18-screenshot.png

Hardware RT might be more accurate here but I prefer darker look of lumen.

Last gen games looked bad in places because everything was lit, even in dark places there was not enough AO and shadow. Full RT seems to introduce too much light again and that's why in my opinion it looks worse.

Denton

I am not vibing with Obsidian's art design/art style for some reason. But I did quite like it in their older games.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I like gaming to a monitor closer than sitting 10 ft back from a TV, myself, too. All my consoles have been moved a 4K/120hz/VRR monitor.
I just got this PC and monitor this weekend after my 9 year old gaming PC died.
Being this close to 4k has me questioning if my TV is 4k, haha. It's definitely a lot more defined when it's right in front of your face.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just got this PC and monitor this weekend after my 9 year old gaming PC died.
Being this close to 4k has me questioning if my TV is 4k, haha. It's definitely a lot more defined when it's right in front of your face.

Oh yeah, you're getting a fuck ton more PPI (pixel per inch) on a 32 inch monitor compared to a 55/65 inch screen, so things are gonna look sharper.

Top Bottom