• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Runs at 30fps on Xbox Series X and S, Obsidian Confirms

spartan30gr

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

geary

If "It’s a first-person, single-player game, you don’t necessarily need that 60 frames.", then should be locked to 30 on PC as well, since 60 is not needed to enjoy it.

Dunker99

Good. This fascination with 60 fps from console gamers is absolutely ridiculous. You had no problem giving Witcher 3, Zelda BOTW, RDR2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Ghost of Tsushima lavish praise literally jerking off to those games for a fucking decade and now 30 fps is a no go??

Fine. Understandable. Go buy a PC. You can build a PC 2x more powerful using a 7800xt and a 7700x around a thousand bucks. You want twice the framerate? Pay twice the money. I paid 4x as much back at launch because thats how expensive these cards and CPUs were back then. its far cheaper today.

You get what you pay for. Devs HAVE to push visuals and fidelity to stay relevant. They cant keep making 60 fps last gen games all the time. No one wants to play a game that looks like outer worlds in 2025.

Gaf is absolutely bizarre with this. We have a thread every other week about how graphics arent improving. Then we have people acting completely clueless when devs finally start releasing UE5 games with Lumen and Nanite to give them what they want, but they want 60 fps. You cannot have both. Unless you go PC. With MS porting everything to PC, you never shouldve bought an Xbox anyway. Save that $500, stop wasting money on fortnite skins, only fan whores, avacado toast, $6 starbucks coffee, and you can easily save up enough to get a PC that will run games at near xsx quality but at double the framerate.

does-the-outer-worlds-always-looks-that-bad-on-console-or-v0-7e2r5bz9al791.png

48956488101_50fa13ba28_o.png

vs

309d789fd7c4d663e4432857723551acd0bb3fdb.gifv

3b871e4d7c3aa7b8dcaf01b3fa2c850a67d3a0f3.gif

6e3191c792e52785fa7cd5c2b86bcbf27536dd9d.gifv

Your hate boner for console users wanting 60fps is fucking weird. I’ve seen you say it so many times on here.

Fbh

Gold Member
Gaf is absolutely bizarre with this. We have a thread every other week about how graphics arent improving. Then we have people acting completely clueless when devs finally start releasing UE5 games with Lumen and Nanite to give them what they want, but they want 60 fps. You cannot have both. Unless you go PC. With MS porting everything to PC, you never shouldve bought an Xbox anyway. Save that $500, stop wasting money on fortnite skins, only fan whores, avacado toast, $6 starbucks coffee, and you can easily save up enough to get a PC that will run games at near xsx quality but at double the framerate.

GAF isn't a hivemind, there are different people here with different tastes and priorities. Most of the people making threads complaining about graphics are probably, like you, ok with 30fps as long as the visual upgrade is big enough.
Most of the people like me who would rather get 60fps with decent IQ don't care if graphics stay at or near Ps4 levels.

Of course there are always some people who are being ridiculous and want these 4 years old $500 boxes to delivery crazy next gen graphics AND 60fps AND high resolution, but I don't think they are a majority. At most I see some people completely ignore the scope and size of games with comments like "why doesn't this big open world look as good as a relatively linear game like Demon Souls remake?"

Bojji

Good. This fascination with 60 fps from console gamers is absolutely ridiculous. You had no problem giving Witcher 3, Zelda BOTW, RDR2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Ghost of Tsushima lavish praise literally jerking off to those games for a fucking decade and now 30 fps is a no go??

Fine. Understandable. Go buy a PC. You can build a PC 2x more powerful using a 7800xt and a 7700x around a thousand bucks. You want twice the framerate? Pay twice the money. I paid 4x as much back at launch because thats how expensive these cards and CPUs were back then. its far cheaper today.

You get what you pay for. Devs HAVE to push visuals and fidelity to stay relevant. They cant keep making 60 fps last gen games all the time. No one wants to play a game that looks like outer worlds in 2025.

vs

cant-see-where.gif

Tiny gifs don't really represent how game looks.

5zrJzju.jpeg
XEiH0vz.jpeg
Cdj6NUT.png
KSMdASu.jpeg
tPwrQXA.jpeg

"next gen".

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait a second. Not all of those games look better at 60 fps. FF16 runs at 720p with paried back settings. Avatar drops to 720p and does not hold 60 fps. Alan Wake 2 looks like a shimmering mess at 60 fps and likely would not look as good as Outer worlds at 30 fps though that remains to be seen.

Only sony first party games have decent 60 fps modes and they dont even use nanite or lumen. i can promise if you that if spiderman 2 was using higher fidelity assets and RTGI or a lumen like dynamic lighting solution, it would not be running at 60 fps at 1080p like it does today. It would be around 720p with paired back settings at best and at that point, they would have to make the decision to either focus on one mode or risk people playing an uglier version of the game and waste all the time artists put into making their game look next gen.

besides, you cant expect every developer to make games that look as good as the best developers do. I posted the outer worlds screenshots on purpose because thats what they were capable of. They will never be able to match top studios. i can do the same with every game this gen and compare them to GTA6 and say they should be running at 120 fps because they dont look as good as the best looking game of all time. What obsidian is doing is working within their limits to produce a game that looks a generation ahead of their previous entry and that will come at a cost. The cost is 30 fps.

The bottomline is that no one wants to play a game that looks like outer worlds 2. Especially on a forum like gaf which is fucking obsessed with graphics.

P.S Black myth clearly cant run at 60 fps on the ps5. they are using framegen to boost it from 30 to 60 fps and it still fails. Using that game as an example of a game that looks better and runs at 60 fps is kinda weird because it clearly cannot run at 60 fps on the ps5 without introducing fake frames despite dropping resolution by half. And thats arguably the best looking game on the market right now. Consoles simply cannot do both.
Why are you talking about resolution when you don't even know the resolution at which Avowed runs?

Anyway, there are games like Avatar, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls PS5 etc. that have significantly better visual fidelity, texture quality, and much higher density than Avowed. They look way more next-gen than Avowed does, even though some of them are years old. Yet they still offer 60 FPS options.

Avowed doesn't look MORE next-gen than, say, Ratchet & Clank, Avatar or Demon's Souls, but it still doesn't offer 60 FPS.

Your argument was that the cost of 60 FPS is amazing next-gen fidelity in Avowed, but that is simply not the case. It doesn't offer 60 FPS and it doesn't look next-gen either.

If you were to say this about Hellblade 2, I'd have agreed. Avowed isn't that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
cant-see-where.gif

Tiny gifs don't really represent how game looks.

5zrJzju.jpeg
XEiH0vz.jpeg
Cdj6NUT.png
KSMdASu.jpeg
tPwrQXA.jpeg

"next gen".
Neither do those youtube compressed screenshots. These UE5 and next gen games in general look way better on my tv running natively than they do on these trailers.

Besides, if you cant notice the massive upgrade in lighting quality, asset quality, and overall density of these environments compared to what they did for outer worlds last gen then i cant help you.

Why are you talking about resolution when you don't even know the resolution at which Avowed runs?

Anyway, there are games like Avatar, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls PS5 etc. that have significantly better visual fidelity, texture quality, and much higher density than Avowed. They look way more next-gen than Avowed does, even though some of them are years old. Yet they still offer 60 FPS options.

Avowed doesn't look MORE next-gen than, say, Ratchet & Clank, Avatar or Demon's Souls, but it still doesn't offer 60 FPS.

Your argument was that the cost of 60 FPS is amazing next-gen fidelity in Avowed, but that is simply not the case. It doesn't offer 60 FPS and it doesn't look next-gen either.

If you were to say this about Hellblade 2, I'd have agreed. Avowed isn't that.
You are missing the point. Avowed is not Avatar just like how Avatar is no GTA6. Comparing them to other games is pointless. Avowed is a very different game with other things going on under the hood not to mention the scope alone is different. demon souls and ratchet are not open world games. Ratchet's open world level looks like this:

Fz_VrCPX0AczYKi

Fz_Vr0rX0AI5E-y

Every game has to make sacrifices on consoles. Ratchet's open world wouldve looked way better had they improved the draw distance, the actual density of the environments, the asset quality of rocks, trees and other objects in the game, added RTGI or a Lumen like solution. And that wouldve come at a cost to the GPU which means

demon souls straight up dropped RT shadows after promising it before launch. Again why? The GPU simply couldnt do 60 fps with it. They had to make a sacrifice.

I can promise you that once Sony studios start using RTGI, Rt shadows, reflections, nanite quality assets, and density, they will have to make the same sacrifices. Last gen, Titanfall, CoD, and most MP shooters were 60 fps. 60 fps was definitely possible last gen too but they didnt do it because they wouldve had to settle for worse graphics.

Topher

Gold Member
Neither do those youtube compressed screenshots. These UE5 and next gen games in general look way better on my tv running natively than they do on these trailers.

Besides, if you cant notice the massive upgrade in lighting quality, asset quality, and overall density of these environments compared to what they did for outer worlds last gen then i cant help you.

You are missing the point. Avowed is not Avatar just like how Avatar is no GTA6. Comparing them to other games is pointless. Avowed is a very different game with other things going on under the hood not to mention the scope alone is different. demon souls and ratchet are not open world games. Ratchet's open world level looks like this:

Fz_VrCPX0AczYKi

Fz_Vr0rX0AI5E-y

Every game has to make sacrifices on consoles. Ratchet's open world wouldve looked way better had they improved the draw distance, the actual density of the environments, the asset quality of rocks, trees and other objects in the game, added RTGI or a Lumen like solution. And that wouldve come at a cost to the GPU which means

demon souls straight up dropped RT shadows after promising it before launch. Again why? The GPU simply couldnt do 60 fps with it. They had to make a sacrifice.

I can promise you that once Sony studios start using RTGI, Rt shadows, reflections, nanite quality assets, and density, they will have to make the same sacrifices. Last gen, Titanfall, CoD, and most MP shooters were 60 fps. 60 fps was definitely possible last gen too but they didnt do it because they wouldve had to settle for worse graphics.

That's why we have modes this gen. There is no good reason not to give the gamer the choice here.

I always say leave it up to the developers to decide, if the graphics look good but it runs at 30 that's fine. If they decide it feels better at 60 but sacrificing the graphics for that 60 then fine too. Fed up with this narrative that a console is shit if a game runs at 30, any game can run at 30 or 60 it's upto the devs to decide. Either option requires a sacrifice which the developer chooses.

SlimySnake

Your hate boner for console users wanting 60fps is fucking weird. I’ve seen you say it so many times on here.
Because it makes no sense whatsoever. We havent had 60 fps as the standard going back to PS1. You had crash running at 60 but real games that pushed visuals like RE2, MGS, FF7 and Tomb Raider 2 did not. in fact, many games sat at 20 fps most of the time. No one cared.

Same thing was true for PS2. MGS2 was one of the few 60 fps AAA games and MGS3 was changed to 30 fps because kojima knew he had to push the visual fidelity for the next game. Hell, it was around 15 fps in most boss fights and grozni grad levels.

We saw 30 fps as the standard for virtually all games in the PS3 and PS4 era so yes, I do not understand why gamers who have been gaming for generations have all of a sudden begun demanding 60 fps on consoles after having enough common sense to understand why devs make those decisions.

I dont have disdain for people who want 60 fps. I want 60 fps which is why ive built a pC for the last 4 generations going back to 2003. I have disdain for people who know better. People who spend all day on hardcore gaming forums. People who have been gaming for decades. People who dont want to play a game that looks like Outer worlds did in 2019. Not on $500 consoles released 4 years ago.

Shin-Ra

Clearly a lot of these developers don’t make the basic effort to play their own games on the console(s) with an OLED TV. At most they take a quick glance and don’t pan the camera once.

Lumen and Nanite. You wanted "next gen". Don't ever say they don't give you what you want. With that being said, I expect a 60fps patch down the line.
Jusant has both ‘next-gen’ UE5 features and targets a pretty solid 60fps on PS5/XSX additionally without running at potato resolution. DON’T NOD’s neither first party nor mega-indie.

I swear to god, I came into the thread expecting PS5 Pro posts from Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping , but not the first post FFS.
SCORPIO!? ♏🦂

SlimySnake

Starfield was pretty heavy on pc, right?
It was. Everyone with old cheap ass zen 2 CPUs struggled to run it at 60 fps in the cities and got butthurt when Todd Howard said its a next gen game, go fucking upgrade your PC.

eventually they were able to claw back around 10-15% more performance, but its still very heavy on the CPU.

On consoles, they released a 60 fps mode that looks far far worse, and still doesnt run at 60 fps in the cities or the open world. So again, this begs the question, are devs really shit or did they simply know that the sacrifices necessary to make 60 fps wouldve ruined all the hardwork devs did to improve the visual fidelity. Something they used to get trashed for back in the PS3 and PS4 era.

Its clear that devs simply cant win.

SlimySnake

Clearly a lot of these developers don’t make the basic effort to play their own games on the console(s) with an OLED TV. At most they take a quick glance and don’t pan the camera once.
I have been gaming on an LG CX OLED since day 1 on PS5. Miles, Ratchet, Horizon, FF16 all run fine on the OLED at 30 fps. Smooth as butter. Some games are trash like Demon Souls and FF7 Rebirth. but thats on the devs. I also went back and played DriveClub on this tv thinking it would be shit but its fine and still the best sense of speed to date despite the 30 fps cap.

Right now im playing Wukong at 30 fps on PC. I had to ensure i locked the framerate from the RTSS app instead of ingame or through nvidia control panel because they both add incorrect framepacing but 30 fps is very smooth with proper frametimes on my OLED.

P.S Horizon FW had some issues with brightness flickers at launch but it was due to some motion blur and sharpness issues and i was able to fix it after messing around with some settings. it was patched later so clearly a bug. Not an OLED issue.

NEbeast

vs

But the game looks like ass so your rant is redundant. Glad I didn't miss another one of your PCMR posts though.
The Office Jim GIF

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Why would it flop on PC with tons of mod support like Skyrim?

You would think after BG3 and Wukong these dudes would realize that the consoles aren't needed for success. Wukong runs like ass on console, and the money still rolling in. Avowed's primary platform is PC. Whether people chooses to play it on the small amount of Xboxs on the market makes no difference. It supporting full raytracing from Nvidia and having a good PC port means everything.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GAF isn't a hivemind, there are different people here with different tastes and priorities. Most of the people making threads complaining about graphics are probably, like you, ok with 30fps as long as the visual upgrade is big enough.
Most of the people like me who would rather get 60fps with decent IQ don't care if graphics stay at or near Ps4 levels.

Of course there are always some people who are being ridiculous and want these 4 years old $500 boxes to delivery crazy next gen graphics AND 60fps AND high resolution, but I don't think they are a majority. At most I see some people completely ignore the scope and size of games with comments like "why doesn't this big open world look as good as a relatively linear game like Demon Souls remake?"
I am generalizing because this thread was almost exclusively against 30 fps and so was the Starfield thread, the kingdom come 30 fps thread and whatever other game that will be announced as 30 fps.

I am generalizing because we are on gaf where these same users chose 30 fps games as GOTY time and time again last gen.

I am generalizing because people in general upgrade to a new generation of consoles every 7 years because they want fancier visuals. You might be ok with 60 fps from these next gen consoles with PS4 level graphics, but lets face it, the vast majority of people do not plunk down $500 just to double the framerate. People want to see graphics upgrades because they have been trained over the last 8 generations to expect them.

And yes, people who compare linear games to open world games are silly. As well as people who are comparing a game with lumen and nanite with games with static last gen lighting, asset quality, and density. I went through this last year with Avatar as people kept saying Horizon FW looked better until they finally got to play it and noticed the higher fidelity lighting and density of the jungles on their tv. And now Avatar is widely considered the best looking game in the market. People wont notice the visuals enhancements until they see it. i dont know why because i can see them right now but whatever. time will prove me right.

Just watched some of that 31 minutes of gameplay. I’m sure gameplay wise it’s great for people that like their games but my god it’s ugly as sin - don’t care about 60 fps but Jesus.

Last edited:

Bojji

Obviously it looks better than OW but that game never was a looker. There is nothing mindblowing about Avowed graphics, we already had super demanding UE5 games that didn't look very good like Immortals of Aveum. Just using Lumen and Nanite doesn't automatically make game look good.

I get why game is targeted at 30fps with those tech but for me it's not worth it, they could have make some sacrifices to make game run in 60fps and it wouldn't change overall presentation that much, there are many last gen games that don't look much worse than this and they are obviously not using nanite/lumen (and would run 60fps on SX).

Just having working 40fps mode at launch would be something but based on how long it took Redfall and Skyrim to get patches I doubt this game will be "playable" (for me at least) for months. MS loves to fuck up stuff.

Top Bottom