• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Runs at 30fps on Xbox Series X and S, Obsidian Confirms

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It uses lumen and nanite but yet somehow still manages to look like shit.

The marketing tech buzzwords mean absolutely nothing if the final outcome doesn't pass the eye test.

Well enjoy your baked lighting paired with old and cheap SSAO coverage or "hero lighting" so games can get 60fps on old hardware. The industry has moved on to raytraced lighting as a default and I'm all for it. Just like with Cyberpunk if you see Nvidia involved then the PC is the primary platform.

GHG

Gold Member
The only thing you soak up is water as you are slowly being boiled.

I do love me some slow cooked chicken.

r6rqcVh.gif

GHG

Gold Member
Well enjoy your baked lighting paired with old and cheap SSAO coverage or "hero lighting" so games can get 60fps on old hardware. The industry has moved on to raytraced lighting as a default and I'm all for it. Just like with Cyberpunk if you see Nvidia involved then the PC is the primary platform.

More useless buzzwords.

The game looks like shit on PC as well. An nvidia partnership doesn't automatically make something look good. Nvidia partnered with Redfall ffs.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
everyone made fun of starfield at launch......................

sddefault.jpg

but it got a 60fps patch for consoles as well , im not worried at all

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The price for the UE5 suite.

Wish there was a non-Lumen 'performance' mode. Let's see if they can still add one between now and launch.

Ah well, still day 1.

Last edited:

XXL

It’s a first-person, single-player game, you don’t necessarily need that 60 frames.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Avowed can be played in third-person, not just first-person. This was just confirmed by Obsidian today after previous gameplay footage only showed first-person combat. But now, we're being told that this is just one of the options, and you'll be able to play the whole game in third-person if you want to.

why you always lying noragami aragoto GIF

Xbox is a shitshow.

Devs these days really don't know to develop and optimize games.

Guess the patch for 60fps will come later. Just like usually happens.

foamdino

They should have just made Pillars of Eternity 3 instead of this. I loathe the impact that MS has had on RPGs where once great RPG firms make more and more ridiculous crappy choices instead of sticking to the formula of *just make a fucking RPG fools*.

Bethesda started dumbing everything down in Oblivion -> Skyrim -> Starfield now we get Obsidian completely wasting an entire dev cycle.

At least we have Owlcat and Larian that seem to be immune to this "all rpgs need to be FPS games now, hurr duur" crap

What a waste of time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A sticker on the box is the best I can do.

It should, but Microsoft continues to treat their console customers like second rate citizens.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

So true. Phil sits there and says they need to do better by their console customers but the actual evidence points to nothing but a PC focus and getting the console version out the door to sort later.

I can't believe they don't see how much this kind of messaging affects the perception of their business.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It should, but Microsoft continues to treat their console customers like second rate citizens.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Have said this several times here but Phil is the guy who greenlit the first Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig

Ybarra said when him and Spencer got their screening Mike actually chuckled and thought they were being punked after all that money spent and literally asked where the real trailer was

Phil said it looks good and send it and Mike told him they couldn't show that

Well guess what they showed it and after butting heads with Phil awhile Mike is currently out of the video game business (after sending him to Blizz to help with, well you know the rest)

Astray

I've seen Redfall cited here as a similar case, but I'd actually like to remind people that for all that game's issues, Arkane actually pledged to do a 60 fps mode later on in the same tweet (which they did deliver on).

However, these guys are telling you flat out that you don't need that performance mode, which kinda tells you that either they don't think they can do it, or that they just won't.

Source on the Redfall stuff:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Have said this several times here but Phil is the guy who greenlit the first Halo Infinite trailer that gave us Craig

Ybarra said when him and Spencer got their screening Mike actually chuckled and thought they were being punked after all that money spent and literally asked where the real trailer was

Phil said it looks good and send it and Mike told him they couldn't show that

Well guess what they showed it and after butting heads with Phil awhile Mike is currently out of the video game business (after sending him to Blizz to help with, well you know the rest)

Yeah.....nothing surprises me about Phil Spencer anymore. I mean.....look at his track record on frame rates. He went from this.....

GC: What also frustrates me is that the only number I do care about is the only that you and Sony don’t obsess over. Which is 60fps, which I understand is easier to do on the Xbox One X than any other console.

PS:
That’s correct. But… [laughs] Why do you care about 60fps?

To this.....

"People love 60 frames-per-second games, so getting games to run at 4K 60 [FPS] I think will be a real design goal for us."

To releasing Redfall and then Starfield and then Hellblade 2 and now Avowed.......all missing 60fps at launch on Xbox Series X.

Guy I know calls him a "used car salesman". Yep....that's about right.

TexMex

Gold Member
why being shocked, why make drama?

a. We know this is Xbox. An incompetent publisher always overpromising and underdelivering....L after L after L

b. Xbox as a platform is dead. just wait for the PS5 port and if they don't manage this game to run at 60FPS there, well...their "Business" will continue to suck ass.

Series S, sure. But if they can’t get 60 on Series X, what makes you think they can get it there on PS5?

Senua

why being shocked, why make drama?

a. We know this is Xbox. An incompetent publisher always overpromising and underdelivering....L after L after L

b. Xbox as a platform is dead. just wait for the PS5 port and if they don't manage this game to run at 60FPS there, well...their "Business" will continue to suck ass.
No need to wait for smoothness

pc sweating GIF by PRTG

HL3.exe

I'm on PC. But 30 is totally fine if they implement smooth frame-pacing and low latency. Both feasible.

The 60 or bust crowd is bit cringe if you're on console. Good luck skipping GTA6 which will be 30 locked for sure.

Mr Moose

Hell yea whoever heard of 60fps in a first person game anyway? Gimmie juicy lighting and VFX!!!

c2kldM2.jpeg
Damn, I just went looking for that Tweet lol.
Beaten like a little Chicken egg.
I'm on PC. But 30 is totally fine if they implement smooth frame-pacing and low latency. Both feasible.

The 60 or bust crowd is bit cringe if you're on console. Good luck skipping GTA6 which will be 30 locked for sure.
GTAVI should at least look good.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

60 FPS or bust!

PC it is but still, these Devs need to understand that 30FPS console games should be a thing of the past. I also dont get how its only 30FPS from looking at the footage.
Didn't you hear?

System Parity is Xbox blood. No gamer left behind.

So we will have System Parity between Series S, Series X...

and Series PC, since PC is Xbox or so they say. 😬

Jk, but imagine if Series S parity was enforced there, the lols we would have 😆

No gamer left alive. 🙅‍♀️

Last edited:
tenor.gif

God bless the souls of the poor bastards playing this at launch including who knows how many bugs while the rest wait for that sweet, sweet 60 fps patch for the PS5 launch.

Top Bottom